2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

8 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

Still time for Click to fix some holes, and some guys may get it together in the next few weeks.  Let's see what our needs are in late-May and if Click can earn his pay by miid-June.

Click had all off season to fix holes. And you think he will fix them by the trade deadline? I don’t have high hopes.

Taking out the recent Pena walk off....this team sucks at clutchness (among other things).  They seem to not to be able to buy a fucking hit with guys on base in scoring position, and it seems like every time they do it is some dinky ass single where everyone has to move station to station.  

It would be nice for someone to hit a gap, or some seats, some time when people are on 2nd and 3rd.  

1 hour ago, Muny_Tex said:

$15.5M and -1.3 WAR for Odo, Baez, and Goodrum thus far; with good chance at least 2 of them are off the roster in 6 weeks.

Just an absolute masterstroke in financial optimization by the Yale grad

Yeah- I hated/mocked every one of those deals. The consensus seemed to be- so what- it’s not that much money. But, its an opportunity cost and a roster spot. We should have been looking to upgrade somewhere like Kris Bryant as our utility knife, not Goodrum. What was the point of cheapening out at shortstop if you weren’t going to invest that money elsewhere and just going to waste the roster spot on Goodrum. 

Look- our guys didn’t forget to hit all of a sudden (Tucker and Yordan), the old guys are getting worse likely but shouldn’t be fall off a cliff bad (Yuli, Brantley), and Peña looks pretty good for a rookie and CF hasn’t been a problem and probably improves a little when Meyers gets back. 

it’s possible this is one of those seasons from hell when everything goes bad at once but it’s much more likely this is just a slump and guys don’t have things quite right after spring training being shortened. Nothing looks as bad as a baseball team in a slump. 
I don’t suggest we burn it all down until at least Memorial Day, but yeah- this sucks right now. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Taking out the recent Pena walk off....this team sucks at clutchness (among other things).  They seem to not to be able to buy a fucking hit with guys on base in scoring position, and it seems like every time they do it is some dinky ass single where everyone has to move station to station.  

It would be nice for someone to hit a gap, or some seats, some time when people are on 2nd and 3rd.  

This is a danger of not having thumpers at 1B and LF. You can get away with that if you are super strong up the middle like we were for years. Not exactly prime Altuve, combined with Correa and Springer right now up the middle.  
We aren’t as bad as we look though, this will get fixed. 

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah- I hated/mocked every one of those deals. The consensus seemed to be- so what- it’s not that much money. But, its an opportunity cost and a roster spot. We should have been looking to upgrade somewhere like Kris Bryant as our utility knife, not Goodrum. What was the point of cheapening out at shortstop if you weren’t going to invest that money elsewhere and just going to waste the roster spot on Goodrum. 

Look- our guys didn’t forget to hit all of a sudden (Tucker and Yordan), the old guys are getting worse likely but shouldn’t be fall off a cliff bad (Yuli, Brantley), and Peña looks pretty good for a rookie and CF hasn’t been a problem and probably improves a little when Meyers gets back. 

it’s possible this is one of those seasons from hell when everything goes bad at once but it’s much more likely this is just a slump and guys don’t have things quite right after spring training being shortened. Nothing looks as bad as a baseball team in a slump. 
I don’t suggest we burn it all down until at least Memorial Day, but yeah- this sucks right now. 

One small problem with Kris Bryant and other free agents like him -  they have to be willing to sign for no more than five years.

Edited by David Dennison
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

One small problem with Kris Bryant and other free agents like him -  they have to be willing to sign for no more than five years.

I mean, sure, if we want to make up arbitrary nonsense to actively handicap ourselves. 
It’s a policy that will pretty much always keep you from signing real talent that is at all in its prime. It’s what you do if you are trying to build 88-94 win teams as far as the eye can see. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

26 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It’s what you do if you are trying to build 88-94 win teams as far as the eye can see. 

Bingo. That’s exactly what they’re trying to do.

Its not the worst strategy, especially since the playoffs keep expanding. It’s better than Drayton trying to just keep the team mediocre in the late 00s. But transitioning from historically great teams to teams with decent-to-good playoff odds is going to hurt a little. The transition really started last year.

I’d also add, regarding Lunhow/Click - what makes anyone think that Lunhow would be signing guys to long-term deals? His strategy seemed similar in terms of valuing future payroll flexibility. I like Lunhow as much as the next guy, and I am not really defending Click, but the avoidance of overspending on FAs seems consistent with Lunhow’s MO too. 

• Hook 'Em 4

44 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I mean, sure, if we want to make up arbitrary nonsense to actively handicap ourselves. 
It’s a policy that will pretty much always keep you from signing real talent that is at all in its prime. It’s what you do if you are trying to build 88-94 win teams as far as the eye can see. 

Josh Reddicks as far as the eye can see.

2 hours ago, Scraps said:

they can’t buy a non clutch situation hit either, so if anything they’r consistent 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

I’m a little confused, kris bryant is a starter, not a bench utility guy. 

If we’d have signed him he’d play 120 or 130 games at 5 different positions. Starter playing time diverse position. This- utility knife. Same role Zobrist played. Then, next year he would be a full time left fielder or first baseman. 
that’s just one of a bunch of decisions we Could have made before we got to the part of the decision tree that said “sign Goodrum”. 

6 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

If we’d have signed him he’d play 120 or 130 games at 5 different positions. Starter playing time diverse position. This- utility knife. Same role Zobrist played. Then, next year he would be a full time left fielder or first baseman. 
that’s just one of a bunch of decisions we Could have made before we got to the part of the decision tree that said “sign Goodrum”. 

We all need to get comfortable with the notion that the Houston Astros probably are not in the market for brand name free agents.

Edited by David Dennison

bassitt was the guy we needed to get.  he would've solved the odorizzi disaster and kept javier in the pen.  the pen has been solid until those bozos came in last night.

otherwise, which bat should we have signed?  semien, correa, baez, soler - these guys are getting paid a lot and are still south of the mendoza line.  bryant has 4 rbi.  in coors.  all of mlb is struggling to hit the ball (take the grand salami under every day if you like money).

we're slumping, not getting timely hits, and hitting into bad luck.  we almost got swept by the jays in a series we could've easily swept.  and guys like santiago espinal are the reason.  it's a long fucking season, keep your shit together.

• Hook 'Em 4

12 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

bassitt was the guy we needed to get.  he would've solved the odorizzi disaster and kept javier in the pen.  the pen has been solid until those bozos came in last night.

otherwise, which bat should we have signed?  semien, correa, baez, soler - these guys are getting paid a lot and are still south of the mendoza line.  bryant has 4 rbi.  in coors.  all of mlb is struggling to hit the ball (take the grand salami under every day if you like money).

we're slumping, not getting timely hits, and hitting into bad luck.  we almost got swept by the jays in a series we could've easily swept.  and guys like santiago espinal are the reason.  it's a long fucking season, keep your shit together.

We look like a .500 team. 

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Hell, I wished that the decision tree that said “sign Goodrum” had just said “sign Jonathan Villar,” who has actually been a productive major league player with position versatility and signed for all of $6mm.

I’m ok with passing on the Kris Bryants of the world, but be smarter about the guys you do bring in. 

• Like 1

CARLOS CORREA SS, MINNESOTA TWINS

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that Carlos Correa has expressed interest in a long-term contract extension with the Twins.

Rosenthal notes that Correa, who can opt out of his three-year, $105.3 million contract at the end of the 2022 season, expressed his "willingness to sign for a longer term" last weekend with Twins president of baseball operations Derek Falvey, general manager Thad Levine and manager Rocco Baldelli. It doesn't sound like anything is imminent, but it's a positive sign that Correa is comfortable in Minnesota and there's mutual interest in a potential long-term extension.

breaking news: guy who wanted a long term deal for a lot of money wants long term deal for a lot of money.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

Still time for Click to fix some holes, and some guys may get it together in the next few weeks.  Let's see what our needs are in late-May and if Click can earn his pay by miid-June.

Is there still time to fire Click and bring back Luhnow? The Sox brought back Cora, Yankees about to get wacked in this Manfred letter. It should be all good now. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

Bassitt would have been great. I’d have preferred Olson if we were going down that fleece the A’s route because I’m more worried about bats than arms, but if LMJ doesn’t come back then yeah- we should worry about arms as well. 

5 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Is there still time to fire Click and bring back Luhnow? The Sox brought back Cora, Yankees about to get wacked in this Manfred letter. It should be all good now. 

Could we?  Of course. Would we?  Not the slightest chance in hell. Crane wanted JL gone. JL sued Crane. That relationship is over. 

51 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

I’m curious the lineup that keeps Bryant on the bench / jumping around  ?

I would assume that Bryant would be in LF whenever there would be a lefty on the mound, DL replacement when any non SS infielder went down, and spell Yuli, Bregman, Tucker or any of the myriad of guys that seem to need incessant rest days, before becoming the everyday 1st or LF'er. I mean, it doesn't matter, obviously because we are never going to sign anyone for more than 5 years apparently, but that was one of a bunch of different things you could have done in the offseason if you wanted to deepen the lineup and build in actual depth you would want to play as opposed to wasting a roster spot on Goodrum.  I assume, if Pedro Leon is good that is how he will get broken in next year with him learning to play SS in addition to his other stuff.  Zobrist did that. Lots of guys are doing that kind of think nowadays as rest and platoon advantage and versatility becomes such a big thing.  We'd never really fucked with that b/c we were so deep in just top notch high quality players that you want to play more or less every day, but if we really are committed to a talent drain then that's the kind of piece that you need to be good in your roster construction, not a sub replacement level guy like Goodrum.  Diaz is an above average piece of that type who isn't durable enough.