2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

1 hour ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I mean, their October performance was probably impacted more by the fact that the majority of their postseason ABs came against 3 HOFers (and their notoriously expanded strike zones) and peak Kevin Brown (borderline HOF) than it was by the fatigue that came from playing a few extra games over the previous 6 months.

Anyway, yeah, if the guys today believe they’re more physically able in October by sitting out 15 games in the regular season, then go for it (as long as you make it to October, which is now easier than ever I suppose).

I think that’s some of it, but I also think Bagwell and Biggio at least were maximizers who built up counting stats on mediocre pitching.  That’s one reason why I far preferred the Altuve-Correa-Springer led teams; they all have the bat speed and athleticism to hit good pitching, even if in some ways each might lack the polish and skill development of Bagwell and Biggio.  

• Like 1

Papierski is an underrated prospect.  He will make a good long term backup in the big leagues and could even be a fringey regular.  But this is a very good trade for Houston.  Dubon is a versatile good defender who doesn’t strike out much.  Clear upgrade over Goodrum and probably also more valuable than Diaz.  

Flipping a guy that isn’t even on any org top 30 prospect lists for a solid mlb utility guy is a credit to Click and a sign Houston’s farm is underrated.

• Hook 'Em 1

It's been the end for 2-3 years now.

The pitching was gonna suck when the ace's got too old and Whitley petered out. Then they kept coming like the heads of hydra.

Lolz.  LFG!!!

Edited by slorch

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

We have a plethora of starters. Javier and Garcia could be elite (long term). Framber pitched like a #1 last night. Odo has been nails (for a guy signed to burn innings), looking like a solid #3. 3 guys are going to get screwed over when/if LMJ comes back.

Yep. I love all those guys. I even value Urquidy more than the projections. If LMJ comes back good and Brown keeps coming be interesting to see what they do. 9 MLB caliber MOR or better starters is absurd

1 hour ago, LCHorn said:

I think that’s some of it, but I also think Bagwell and Biggio at least were maximizers who built up counting stats on mediocre pitching. 

Gonna have to disagree with you there. Bagwell has one of the best career rate (not counting) stat slash lines (.297/.408/.540) of any 1B in the history of baseball. That’s in 2,150 games and almost 9,500 PAs. He had a career OPS+ of 149, meaning he was about 50% better than the average MLB hitter over 15 years. You can’t possibly chalk that up to only hitting well against crappy pitchers. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, dr99 said:

Surly posters will be ready to run Dubon out of town in about a week

Surly posters revere Bill Spiers and loved Toro and Marwin and a bunch of other non all star type players. Have a couple big moments and don’t hit 100 for your Astros career and he will be just fine. 

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Surly posters revere Bill Spiers and loved Toro and Marwin and a bunch of other non all star type players. Have a couple big moments and don’t hit 100 for your Astros career and he will be just fine. 

Man I loved Michael Bourn. I get why we traded him but damn I loved watching him play. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, dr99 said:

Surly posters will be ready to run Dubon out of town in about a week

Its hard to root for bench players who strike out a lot.  Because of how sporadically they play and how they’re used, it seems like they strike out every time.  That’s why most were happy to see Robel Garcia go and will be happy to see Goodrum go even though they weren’t worthless.  Just frustrating.  But those are the same guys who come up in a big situation and hit a HR in the playoffs that makes them legends.  They are rostered because they are adequate defensively and have power in their bat, the trade off is k’s.  Guys like Dubon are easier to root for because they don’t k as much.  But Dubon is less likely to hit that playoff homer.

Edited by Snake Diggity

1 hour ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Gonna have to disagree with you there. Bagwell has one of the best career rate (not counting) stat slash lines (.297/.408/.540) of any 1B in the history of baseball. That’s in 2,150 games and almost 9,500 PAs. He had a career OPS+ of 149, meaning he was about 50% better than the average MLB hitter over 15 years. You can’t possibly chalk that up to only hitting well against crappy pitchers. 

Yeah, I don’t want to overstate it (I did say “mediocre”, not crappy).  Obviously small sample size but Bagwell was pretty helpless in the postseason 97-99 (I was going to point out Alou as someone more naturally talented like Correa to support my argument but it looks like Kevin Brown stole his soul in ‘98, too).

My main point was that I think the Astros teams of the last few years can hit anybody and I didn’t feel that way about previous teams.  

6 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Yeah, I don’t want to overstate it (I did say “mediocre”, not crappy).  Obviously small sample size but Bagwell was pretty helpless in the postseason 97-99 (I was going to point out Alou as someone more naturally talented like Correa to support my argument but it looks like Kevin Brown stole his soul in ‘98, too).

My main point was that I think the Astros teams of the last few years can hit anybody and I didn’t feel that way about previous teams.  

There is no doubt about that with the current team. I don’t know that prior teams couldn’t, but they certainly didn’t. Small sample size. 

3 hours ago, LCHorn said:

(I was going to point out Alou as someone more naturally talented like Correa to support my argument but it looks like Kevin Brown stole his soul in ‘98, too).

It felt like Kevin Brown pitched 90% of the innings for the Padres and never gave up a hit in that series.

• Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I mean, if Click is willing to trade A 3 WAR CF for a jaggof middle reliever to make Dusty play Chazzy Fizz he sure could option SIRI. 

How did that trade work out last postseason though?