2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

2 minutes ago, Scraps said:
4 minutes ago, Focht Up said:
Does bregman suck ass now?  Kind of seems like it, and I can't believe I'm saying that

You try to play baseball when you have a kid on the way, racehorses, salsa, bbq sauce and rubs. Jesus people.

he needs to print this out and tape it to his locker 

• Like 1

Here are Bregman’s expected wOBA numbers for his career:

2016: .305

2017: .337

2018: .369

2019: .373

2020: 332

2021: .332

2022: .357

In 2018 and 2019 his actual wOBA outperformed his expected - by a lot (.396 and .418, respectively); this year, his actual is underperforming (he’s at .344).

One thought - Alex hit a lot of HRs in 18-19, but he wasn’t posting elite xWOBA numbers (based on his contact quality) and it’s not like he was ever hitting tape-measure Yordan-esque shots. He knows how to hit in MMP. If the balls are really deadened, I could see that impacting Bregman more than others.

My guess: he’s been a tad unlucky so far this season; his contact quality hasn’t been bad, but it hasn’t been as good as it was in 18-19 (it’s been mostly in line with all his other seasons). He’ll end up with solid numbers. He doesn’t suck, obviously, but he is probably more “all-star-ish” than “MVP-ish.” Which is who I thought he’d be before 2018-2019 happened. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Focht Up said:

Shit, if only we'd have kept dave bergman.  The 1984 tigers were happy to have him.

Bregman’s hitting more like Sean Bergman these days.

(but if I’ve learned anything from the thread, Alex is about to crank 7 home runs in a week.

Edited by UTexasFight

10 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

In 2018 and 2019 his actual wOBA outperformed his expected - by a lot (.396 and .418, respectively); this year, his actual is underperforming (he’s at .344).

One thought - Alex hit a lot of HRs in 18-19, but he wasn’t posting elite xWOBA numbers (based on his contact quality) and it’s not like he was ever hitting tape-measure Yordan-esque shots. He knows how to hit in MMP. If the balls are really deadened, I could see that impacting Bregman more than others.

My guess: he’s been a tad unlucky so far this season; his contact quality hasn’t been bad, but it hasn’t been as good as it was in 18-19 (it’s been mostly in line with all his other seasons). He’ll end up with solid numbers. He doesn’t suck, obviously, but he is probably more “all-star-ish” than “MVP-ish.” Which is who I thought he’d be before 2018-2019 happened. 

Good post.  In my humble opinion,  bregman is swinging at a lot of pitches he didn't normally swing at.  

13 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

We're all hoping this is just an especially unlucky stretch for him. We'll see on that. My main concern isn't how often he reaches the train track but how often he keeps strike 3 out of the catcher's mitt. 

Does bregman suck ass now?  Kind of seems like it, and I can't believe I'm saying that

He hasn’t been good for a long time and has consistently exuded Baker Mayfield-type vibes ever since he did that bush league bat carry in the ‘19 WS.
  • Haha 1

@Scraps

HOUSTON (SportsRadio 610)- Three hours before the first pitch of Thursday's game there was a loud cheer and celebration from inside the Astros clubhouse after Alex Bregman's horse, Cadillac Candy, won the first race on Thursday at Churchill Downs in Louisville, Kentucky.

Taking off as the favorite in a five furlong sprint, the two year old horse broke his maiden in a photo finish in the first post at the famed track.

"It was awesome," a hoarse Bregman said. "My whole family is fired up going back way back to when my grandfather used to take me to the races. It's just exciting."

• Rage+1 1

Wow. This is interesting about Odorizzi's contract.

If Odorizzi is facing a long-term absence, it could prove quite costly for him personally. He signed an incentive-laden deal with the club late in the 2020-21 offseason. Odorizzi is playing this season on a $5MM base salary; he’d trigger a $500K incentive for reaching 100 innings pitched, with additional $1MM+ bonuses for every 10 innings thereafter up through 160 frames. His deal also contains a $6.5MM player option for next season that comes with a $3.25MM buyout; both the option price and the buyout figure would escalate if Odorizzi makes at least 20 starts this year.

Because I was wondering where he was season-to-date:

Year W L ERA G GS SV IP SO WHIP
2022 Regular Season 3 2 3.13 7 7 0 31.2 21 1.17
Career Regular Season 71 65 3.92 226 222 1 1178.2 1107 1.24
Year                  
2022 Regular Season                  
Career Regular Season                  

55 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Wow. This is interesting about Odorizzi's contract.

If Odorizzi is facing a long-term absence, it could prove quite costly for him personally. He signed an incentive-laden deal with the club late in the 2020-21 offseason. Odorizzi is playing this season on a $5MM base salary; he’d trigger a $500K incentive for reaching 100 innings pitched, with additional $1MM+ bonuses for every 10 innings thereafter up through 160 frames. His deal also contains a $6.5MM player option for next season that comes with a $3.25MM buyout; both the option price and the buyout figure would escalate if Odorizzi makes at least 20 starts this year.

It could be a pretty big win for the Astros for Odorizzi to suffer a mid-season injury that keeps him from reaching all those incentives but allows him to come back strong enough so that he opts out of next year.  Although judging from the last month $6.5M wouldn’t be a terrible deal for another year of Odo.

Yeah, why they didn’t flip Javier and JV after Odo went down, I don’t know. Javier last pitched May 14 and I guess they figured pushing him back to tomorrow would cause more rust to build than they wanted…. or they are using that line of thinking to hide getting JV more rest.

JV’s going to have 5 days between starts this round and again next round because of off day next week.

if he had pitched tonight, he would have been on the normal cycle for 3 starts in a row.

I know it’s gonna balance out near the end of June with CWS, NYM, NYY, etc…but I can’t remember a ~6 week stretch of opponents more favorable than it’s been since start of May.

Particularly good timing to ride this wave right as the Angels were playing their best ball in many years, maybe their spirit is already breaking after that recent string of L’s.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Muny_Tex said:

I know it’s gonna balance out near the end of June with CWS, NYM, NYY, etc…but I can’t remember a ~6 week stretch of opponents more favorable than it’s been since start of May.

Particularly good timing to ride this wave right as the Angels were playing their best ball in many years, maybe their spirit is already breaking after that recent string of L’s.

Can't imagine it being any worse than getting swept by the Rangers. Though everyone's least favorite Ranger has been very hot at the plate.

Is it exclusively on Apple?  I just signed up for a fubo free trial so we could stream the game on the deck tonight.  MLB66 has been locking up constantly when I stream it to a tv for the last few weeks.

Edited by kevwun