Apollo 10 and a 1/2 - Richard Linklater on Netflix

GreenspointTexas

grew up in this era and in the CL area.  At one-time every dad on our street worked for NASA or one of the contractors.  Noticed Ed White Elementary,  the Galveston Seawall, Kids biking behind the Mosquito sprayer, Estes rockets, and flooded streets. Can't wait to watch this.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2022 at 10:26 PM, GreenspointTexas said:

Gorgeous film. A MUST watch for any kid growing up in Houston. Actually, the most Houston centric movie ever. Damn hes good at nailing periods of time

It's hard to believe how little buzz it's gotten in Houston. I think I used some of your exact phrasing after I saw it; I also think it's the best "Houston movie" of all time. And look, here we are, with a six post thread on a board with a shit-ton of Houstonians and even more people who grew up in Houston. Either something failed with the marketing of this movie or maybe you just can't market straight-to-Netflix movies adequately.

I think it will do fine over time -- it will be one of those movies like Office Space or Idiocracy that has a very very long tail. Generations of Houstonians will love it -- they already do. I know of everyone from Millennials to Greatest Generation people who have flipped for it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I had no idea what this movie was and started it one random evening while looking for something to watch as I saw Linklater's name attached.

First 25 minutes absolutely blew me away. Immediately emailed my dad who grew up in Houston in the 50s and 60s and told him to watch. 

7 hours ago, pops said:

That was a fun quick watch. Kid loved it. Wife and I laughed at all the shit we remembered as kids even if this event was before our time. Mid 60s to mid 80s as kids was pretty static. 

I remember the Galveston tar balls well. We used paint thinner to get it off. 

My folks would only take me to Astroworld if it was company night. Maybe we’d get lucky, and mom would find a coupon near one our birthdays. We probably went less than 5 times in my entire childhood. 

Astros tickets at the Dome were always cheap, so I fortunate enough to go to a lot of games growing up. 

On 4/11/2022 at 3:48 AM, MaybeACoordinator said:

It's hard to believe how little buzz it's gotten in Houston. I think I used some of your exact phrasing after I saw it; I also think it's the best "Houston movie" of all time.

More so than Boyhood? Because I loved Boyhood so much and it felt very Houston to me.

I need to watch this soon.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I remember the Galveston tar balls well. We used paint thinner to get it off. 

My folks would only take me to Astroworld if it was company night. Maybe we’d get lucky, and mom would find a coupon near one our birthdays. We probably went less than 5 times in my entire childhood. 

Astros tickets at the Dome were always cheap, so I fortunate enough to go to a lot of games growing up. 

When I got to high school age, Astroworld 1) had decent concerts at the Southern Star amphitheater, and 2) you could sit GA on the lawn for free with a season pass.  So I had one for a few years in the mid to late 80s.   But as a child, shit, Astroworld was a BIG deal....and was also the site of one of our most infamous family moments.

We had family come into town to visit from the border of July 4th weekend, 1974.  Being from the sticks, they wanted to go to the fancy amusement park in Houston.  So we went.  On fucking July 4th.  Enormous crowds.  100 degrees with 150% humidity.  It was a miserable time.  And I was a kid, and wanted it to be a magical time, and wanted to ride all the rides with long lines, and wanted a snowcone, or some other such shit.  

Anyway, at one point later in the heat of the afternoon, when all nerves were frayed, my mom was taking a break on a bench.  I was standing in front of her, bitching and whining about something I wanted (the next ride, a snowcone, who knows).  Mom was at the end of her rope.  And my dad could tell some magic was about the happen.  The Super 8 movie camera came out.  It caught me bitching.  It caught mom looking more and more pissed, cigarette pursed tightly between her lips.  Then, it caught The Slap.  Right handed, outta nowhere, faster than film could catch, she slapped me right across the face.  Knocked the pissy attitude right outta me, instantly replaced by crying kid.  Dad films it all, never breaking from the scene before him.  My wife thinks it's the funniest goddamn thing she's ever seen.  We transferred our old movies to DVD, and she has watched it in super slo mo, breaking it down like the Zapruder film.  My mother's flying hand is only in three frames, it moves so fast.

It was a perfectly Houston 1974 moment, right down to the cigarette flapping between her lips as she told my dad to "turn that goddamned camera off" in the last moments of the scene.

This is a great movie, and in so many ways, like someone documented my own childhood (even if I did live more in town than CL -- we were in a new development on the SW side).

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Foosters said:

I had no idea what this movie was and started it one random evening while looking for something to watch as I saw Linklater's name attached.

First 25 minutes absolutely blew me away. Immediately emailed my dad who grew up in Houston in the 50s and 60s and told him to watch. 

Exact same reaction

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

When I got to high school age, Astroworld 1) had decent concerts at the Southern Star amphitheater, and 2) you could sit GA on the lawn for free with a season pass.  So I had one for a few years in the mid to late 80s.   But as a child, shit, Astroworld was a BIG deal....and was also the site of one of our most infamous family moments.

We had family come into town to visit from the border of July 4th weekend, 1974.  Being from the sticks, they wanted to go to the fancy amusement park in Houston.  So we went.  On fucking July 4th.  Enormous crowds.  100 degrees with 150% humidity.  It was a miserable time.  And I was a kid, and wanted it to be a magical time, and wanted to ride all the rides with long lines, and wanted a snowcone, or some other such shit.  

Anyway, at one point later in the heat of the afternoon, when all nerves were frayed, my mom was taking a break on a bench.  I was standing in front of her, bitching and whining about something I wanted (the next ride, a snowcone, who knows).  Mom was at the end of her rope.  And my dad could tell some magic was about the happen.  The Super 8 movie camera came out.  It caught me bitching.  It caught mom looking more and more pissed, cigarette pursed tightly between her lips.  Then, it caught The Slap.  Right handed, outta nowhere, faster than film could catch, she slapped me right across the face.  Knocked the pissy attitude right outta me, instantly replaced by crying kid.  Dad films it all, never breaking from the scene before him.  My wife thinks it's the funniest goddamn thing she's ever seen.  We transferred our old movies to DVD, and she has watched it in super slo mo, breaking it down like the Zapruder film.  My mother's flying hand is only in three frames, it moves so fast.

It was a perfectly Houston 1974 moment, right down to the cigarette flapping between her lips as she told my dad to "turn that goddamned camera off" in the last moments of the scene.

This is a great movie, and in so many ways, like someone documented my own childhood (even if I did live more in town than CL -- we were in a new development on the SW side).

My mom slapped like that one time -- under strikingly similar circumstances -- but she miscalculated and the other side of my head whipped into the corner of a brick wall, knicking me on the right temple. I had a tiny, tiny cut but I bled like a stuck pig because it opened one of those surface veins you have up there. She was mortified and I went from Brat Who Had it Comin' to Blinded Ralphie acting the martyr in front of his parents for poisoning him with soap in seconds. 

Edited by MaybeACoordinator
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/11/2022 at 3:48 AM, MaybeACoordinator said:

It's hard to believe how little buzz it's gotten in Houston. I think I used some of your exact phrasing after I saw it; I also think it's the best "Houston movie" of all time. And look, here we are, with a six post thread on a board with a shit-ton of Houstonians and even more people who grew up in Houston. Either something failed with the marketing of this movie or maybe you just can't market straight-to-Netflix movies adequately.

I think it will do fine over time -- it will be one of those movies like Office Space or Idiocracy that has a very very long tail. Generations of Houstonians will love it -- they already do. I know of everyone from Millennials to Greatest Generation people who have flipped for it. 

We've learned not to expect quality from a Netflix movie.