2022 Property Tax Values are out

WithoutAClue

8 hours ago, We’reTexas said:

Well, to be clear, SF has terrible public schools and a catastrophe of a public transportation department, and I only raise that to point out that this is because of the Prop 13 system, which starved municipalities of property tax revenue and put the burden on the state and an ever-dwindling number of new homebuyers. I think rate adjustments and an income tax could make sense for Texas, but the California model would be a disaster. 

https://www.greatschools.org/california/san-francisco/san-francisco-unified-school-district/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bay_Area_Rapid_Transit

Both of these seem like they suck. For sure worse than what we have in Austin. Oh wait! That's not true at all. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, immamac said:

I don't understand what they are doing with all this extra money they are collecting. It seems like Austin should have insane public services compared to other cities with the budget they get from our tax payments.

Just follow the pork.

The mayor and city council (much like many other cities throughout the US) of Austin are out of touch with their public and how or where the money goes. Travis County Commissioners aren't really any better. They get themselves elected to push their own agendas and projects, not to better yours or our projects/ needs/ wants. There is a posting on this site that has over 5000 responses to the spending of public money.....(for a group that majority wise, isn't paying taxes). 

As far as public services, most municipal fire departments fall in the junior taxing districts alongside public libraries. That's why they are always shown having their budgets cut first when city council's finally realize they have overspent, AGAIN. Library branches and stations close, personnel are cut, or at the minimum, their funding is not as high as previous years. The PD can get around budget cuts by them having the ability to impose more fines or tickets, but staffing or hiring can still be affected (at least until armageddon sets in. See Minneapolis). Austin has third service EMS that (while the personnel are good and do their best in a shitty environment) is grossly understaffed , under trucked, and mostly underpaid. The council recently invoked a raise (insult really) for the medics and emts that was literally pennies per hr. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

So, I just saw the protest packet for some friends in Williamson County.  They used their own home (purchased in March, 2021) as a comparable.  However, they adjusted the price upwards by roughly 25% as a "time adjusted sales price."  That is such total bullshit.  What is the purpose of comparables then?  They even took a home that closed on 10/21/21 and adjusted that price by about 8% as that comparable "time adjusted sales price."  They don't even put the actual sales price on the sheet, just their made up appreciation number.

1 hour ago, Catpfish said:

So, I just saw the protest packet for some friends in Williamson County.  They used their own home (purchased in March, 2021) as a comparable.  However, they adjusted the price upwards by roughly 25% as a "time adjusted sales price."  That is such total bullshit.  What is the purpose of comparables then?  They even took a home that closed on 10/21/21 and adjusted that price by about 8% as that comparable "time adjusted sales price."  They don't even put the actual sales price on the sheet, just their made up appreciation number.

I'm attempting to fight my assessment. I don't think I'm doing very good. I was confused by the value I was supposed to put in the box in the online form and put in the market value instead of the assessed value because there is zero indication for the online protest of what you should put there. Well that amount was over the assessed value so it was immediately rejected and now I'm hoping to fight it via some type of schedule thing. It's a mess right now and I am terrible at this.

I was really hesitant to use a company to do this for me but it's looking more like I should have.

• Like 1

Just follow the pork.
The mayor and city council (much like many other cities throughout the US) of Austin are out of touch with their public and how or where the money goes. Travis County Commissioners aren't really any better. They get themselves elected to push their own agendas and projects, not to better yours or our projects/ needs/ wants. There is a posting on this site that has over 5000 responses to the spending of public money.....(for a group that majority wise, isn't paying taxes). 
As far as public services, most municipal fire departments fall in the junior taxing districts alongside public libraries. That's why they are always shown having their budgets cut first when city council's finally realize they have overspent, AGAIN. Library branches and stations close, personnel are cut, or at the minimum, their funding is not as high as previous years. The PD can get around budget cuts by them having the ability to impose more fines or tickets, but staffing or hiring can still be affected (at least until armageddon sets in. See Minneapolis). Austin has third service EMS that (while the personnel are good and do their best in a shitty environment) is grossly understaffed , under trucked, and mostly underpaid. The council recently invoked a raise (insult really) for the medics and emts that was literally pennies per hr. 

I had no idea how bad off the EMT situation is until recently. Read some articles and spoke with a neighbor who is one and about to quit. It’s ugly. Be hopeful you don’t need their help. I don’t know how they will have enough staff from what I’ve seen.

It’s also ridiculous for the amount we pay in taxes to be in this situation. Plus doesn’t austin still get their sludge fund money from austin energy?
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Steel Shank said:

Step 1: Collect $1.18 million from all of us.  Rent goes up by a little bit for everyone.

Step 2: Give about $150k of that to a non-profit from California to administer the program.  Similar to the amount we give Jimmy Flannigan every year.

Step 3: Give the rest to about 80 families who can't afford to live in Austin at about $1000 per month for a year.

Step 4: (A year from now) Stop the money train .... or renew the program for another million bucks for those 80 families.

It's a universal basic income program but only for 80 families.  Everyone else, including those that are struggling to make ends meet, pays into the system.

After a year, the support is taken away and the folks receiving the money will be in the same unaffordable position they are in now.

The city is fighting economics, picking some random winners that they can say they helped and costing the rest of us just a little bit.  It's not a scalable program.

• Hook 'Em 3

What's the chances you screw yourself by using protax or five stone and your assessment/taxes actually increase? I'm wondering if my concern is justified or if there's no risk at all at most it stays the same.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

29 minutes ago, ballrific said:

What's the chances you screw yourself by using protax or five stone and your assessment/taxes actually increase? I'm wondering if my concern is justified or if there's no risk at all at most it stays the same.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

They work on contingency and keep (I think) 40% of what they save you-no downside.  

2 hours ago, LCHorn said:

They work on contingency and keep (I think) 40% of what they save you-no downside.  

Right, I should have clarified.  What if protax protests the taxes and tcad says "oh shit, you know what, they actually should be higher."

So where does TCAD get their sales prices for comps if they aren't allowed to use MLS data?  I can go on Redfin or such and see the "last list price" for all sales in my area and this has worked on previous protests to get TCAD to use more favorable comps for me.  And when I got their evidence package, the prices I had matched theirs.  But in this world of people offering over list, do they just make up shit?

I'm supposed to get my informal call tomorrow and my only angle is for them to use comps closer to me since the build specs changed drastically as the neighborhood was built out. This has worked in the past, but now I don't know how to get actual sales prices without the help of a realtor.

Any insight is appreciative.  After my online protest, the automated counter went from 1.04M to 0.95M.  I might get another 50k out of them tomorrow...won't change the tax bill of course...

I talked to a tax atty today to see if she would handle my appeal.  She said that even if she got the value knocked down $100K, the value would still be higher than the amount I'm paying taxes on due to the homestead cap of 10% so it wasn't worth her time as it wouldn't actually save me any monies I would still owe.  This just means I should expect another 10% raise next year...  Basically, if they can't bring the value down than what you are currently paying, they don't want to take the case as they won't make any $ off of you... I actually won my appeal 2 years ago and got the value knocked down to almost what I paid for it 9 years ago so my taxes this year gets me back to what I was paying before I won the appeal.  (Pro tip: when doing a refi and get the appraisal, tell the appraiser to give you the lowest number possible and not the highest and use that appraisal when doing the appeal).  And while I bitch, I know could easily sell my house for >10% more that they have as market value...

Bigger issue I have is the land value went up 400% this year after being flat for the last 9 when I'm in he middle of a master planned community that has no open residential lots available - what the hell did they use as a comp to justify the increase when it's been flat for years?

Edited by Grimas

I have yet to see a concise explanation as to why AISD pays 3.6X as much into recapture as Houston ISD, which serves 2.5X the number of students.  That skew is massive.  Redfin claims the median sale price in Houston is $315K, whereas it's $645K in Austin, or 2.05X higher.  HISD must pull from a LOT fewer houses to explain that difference.  It would seem to be in the neighborhood of 60% the properties and yet still 2.5X the attendance.

You have to be creative to keep those pesky recapture payments low.

“Frisco TIRZ No. 1 is so advantageous to Frisco ISD that the state of Texas actually changed the law after it was created to prevent other school districts from taking advantage of the same benefits. That’s because the TIRZ removes a portion of the District’s property wealth from the equalized state funding formula, which determines how much school districts receive from the state for day-to-day operations. Because the property value isn’t factored into that calculation, the revenue it generates is not subject to recapture by the state for distribution to property-poor districts across Texas, which is commonly referred to as Robin Hood. As a result, FISD has contributed less under recapture over the years.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I got an update from Wilco. They said that since there were no realtor fees on my settlement statement, they can’t be sure it was an open market transaction. 

so I guess my argument at the protest next week will be that I asked how much he wanted and he gave me a number. I know that his number was a little lower than market as he agreed to share in the lack of realtor fee. I guess my backup is the appraisal from the purchase, which is higher than the sales price but still 50k lower than the proposed county assessment. 

I was scheduled for a protest day that I'm unavailable. Now I have to figure out if they will let me change the day or if I should just say screw it because I'm fairly positive with the way everything skyrocketed around me it's going to be a 10% increase. I feel lucky it's only a 10% increase.

TCAD just said thanks for e-filing but we think our initial appraisal of market value was accurate.  Now I have to go look at their evidence packet and crunch some numbers to see if it’s worth my time to go to the informal next week. Yay. 

5 hours ago, vtaenz said:

I was scheduled for a protest day that I'm unavailable. Now I have to figure out if they will let me change the day or if I should just say screw it because I'm fairly positive with the way everything skyrocketed around me it's going to be a 10% increase. I feel lucky it's only a 10% increase.

Go ahead and change the date so you can attend. The company I'm using asked me to take pictures of my interior. My kitchen tile is that beveled 12x12 whitish biege looking shit that is dated. One has a pit hole and the grout is dirty which I made dirtier for the picture. Do you have carpet? Stains on carpet but not too obvious but make it look worn. Shitty flooring detracts from value. Any cracks on your on your ceiling crown molding because the foundation shifted? Snap a pic. These will help you some.

On 5/9/2022 at 3:37 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I have yet to see a concise explanation as to why AISD pays 3.6X as much into recapture as Houston ISD, which serves 2.5X the number of students.  That skew is massive.  Redfin claims the median sale price in Houston is $315K, whereas it's $645K in Austin, or 2.05X higher.  HISD must pull from a LOT fewer houses to explain that difference.  It would seem to be in the neighborhood of 60% the properties and yet still 2.5X the attendance.

The amount the school district collects in property tax is completely disconnected from the amount they get to keep ... sort of.

Part of the collected taxes are "golden pennies" (about 8 cents) that the school district gets to keep, and these help pay teachers.  Part of the tax is the "interest and sinking" fund (about 12 cents), which pays off AISD debt from school bonds.  The rest of the tax, about 80 cents next year, is covered by Robin Hood.

The property tax collected is simply the tax base times the tax rate.  It has nothing to do with how many students are in the district.

The money allocated for students is simply a state-provided formula times the amount of students in the district.  It has nothing to do with how much property tax was collected.  Change that formula and you can change Robin Hood.

The amount of recapture AISD pays is just the first number minus the second number.   If more money was collected than the state says AISD should keep, all of the excess goes to the state.  If less money was collected, the state provides the rest.

I don't fully understand why AISD does not lower the tax rate to the lowest possible number they can get away with, but the math works out to screw the district if they tried this.  There are some complicated guardrails and formulas that ensure that property rich districts can't just lower their rates to the amount they would get from the state.

Nothing in the funding formula addresses cost-of-living, which is obviously higher in Austin than elsewhere.

Edited by Texas Jeff
  • Hook 'Em 3

Headed to my hearing now. 

having to argue that my purchase last year was market value and should be used for this value even though it was not on MLS, and that equity says to allow the sales price as value as they would a home that was listed.  Might not even have any merit, about to find out. 

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Headed to my hearing now. 

having to argue that my purchase last year was market value and should be used for this value even though it was not on MLS, and that equity says to allow the sales price as value as they would a home that was listed.  Might not even have any merit, about to find out. 

What county? Let us know how it goes. Good luck!

18 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Wilco. 

great start- they have Fox News showing in the waiting room. So that must mean they are for lower taxes. 

Ha. Did you use your closing disclosure as evidence of the sales price?

54 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

Ha. Did you use your closing disclosure as evidence of the sales price?

Success, mostly. 

Two of the comps done for my purchase appraisal happened to be comps the county was using for their valuation.   So I showed that and used it to argue that the home was purchased at or near market value despite not being listed.  After some discussion, he put the sales price and closing date into an excel sheet that had a calculation for time adjustment up to 1/1/22 and offered me 372k, which I accepted. Down from 423k initial valuation. 

I think he said that even an open market HUD1 would be subject to the time adjustment, but I did not clarify. 

this was all one on one with an appraisal at the informal, never made it to the board. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 2

Mid 2020 purchase price 540k

2021 agreed upon value 545k

2022 initial market value 721k, initial assessed value 599k.

HCAD sent me a response to my isettle offer yesterday and agreed to reduce market value to 638k, which of course saves me a total of $0 this year. Maybe it will help next year, but probably not. 

1 minute ago, Enchubben said:

Mid 2020 purchase price 540k

2021 agreed upon value 545k

2022 initial market value 721k, initial assessed value 599k.

HCAD sent me a response to my isettle offer yesterday and agreed to reduce market value to 638k, which of course saves me a total of $0 this year. Maybe it will help next year, but probably not. 

It at least starts the 10% capped increase in the assessed value from a lower starting point. That’s why it’s important to get it as low as possible year over year.

14 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

It at least starts the 10% capped increase in the assessed value from a lower starting point. That’s why it’s important to get it as low as possible year over year.

I don't think it work like this. The 10% increase cap is on the final assessed value which didn't change in this case. The market value can go up (or down as much as it needs to) so next year reducing that might eventually come into play but there would be nothing stopping the county from increasing that another 40% next year if they felt the market supported that.

47 minutes ago, ZB'Tejas said:

I don't think it work like this. The 10% increase cap is on the final assessed value which didn't change in this case. The market value can go up (or down as much as it needs to) so next year reducing that might eventually come into play but there would be nothing stopping the county from increasing that another 40% next year if they felt the market supported that.

Good point. I guess it could help lower the market value thereby eventually affecting the assessed value once it matches the market but in today’s market that is not happening anytime soon.

I expect next year the initial assessed value will be  the full 10% greater than it is now, or around $700k.  The market value will probably jump north of that, and I would think perhaps I can argue a small reduction in both values. Not holding my breath though.

I think this was touched on earlier, but I couldn't find it. What is the impact of adding a pool on my taxes?

2021 - $426,000

2022 - $1, 290,000

We have the homestead 10% limit, but it seems like I saw somewhere that any improvements kill the 10% or something.

Thanks in advance. (We don't plan on appealing because it wouldn't get lowered enough to do us any good.)

Yeah, you pull a permit with any decent amount of work, TCAD generally says fuck you, pay me. (ie your house is now PRACTICALLY NEW!…except it’s not)

This is why people don’t pull permits. At some point someone is going to die because of shitty work directly related to this practice. I don’t know if the lawsuits will make it all the way back to TCAD, but they should.

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, drt said:

Yeah, you pull a permit with any decent amount of work, TCAD generally says fuck you, pay me. (ie your house is now PRACTICALLY NEW!…except it’s not)

This is why people don’t pull permits. At some point someone is going to die because of shitty work directly related to this practice. I don’t know if the lawsuits will make it all the way back to TCAD, but they should.

So what does this mean number-wise? Do I then start paying on the $426K + pool value at a 10% increase per year? I'm still not clear on the numbers other than TCAD will fuck me, which I already kinda knew.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Steel Shank said:

I think this was touched on earlier, but I couldn't find it. What is the impact of adding a pool on my taxes?

2021 - $426,000

2022 - $1, 290,000

We have the homestead 10% limit, but it seems like I saw somewhere that any improvements kill the 10% or something.

Thanks in advance. (We don't plan on appealing because it wouldn't get lowered enough to do us any good.)

Same issue here. I added a fucking pergola and they removed my homestead cap.  I am in process of protesting and quoting these sons of bitches Texas Tax Code 23.23.

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/TX/htm/TX.23.htm

Sec. 23.23. LIMITATION ON APPRAISED VALUE OF RESIDENCE HOMESTEAD. (a) Notwithstanding the requirements of Section 25.18 and regardless of whether the appraisal office has appraised the property and determined the market value of the property for the tax year, an appraisal office may increase the appraised value of a residence homestead for a tax year to an amount not to exceed the lesser of:

(1) the market value of the property for the most recent tax year that the market value was determined by the appraisal office; or

(2) the sum of:

(A) 10 percent of the appraised value of the property for the preceding tax year;

(B) the appraised value of the property for the preceding tax year; and

(C) the market value of all new improvements to the property.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Steel Shank said:

So what does this mean number-wise? Do I then start paying on the $426K + pool value at a 10% increase per year? I'm still not clear on the numbers other than TCAD will fuck me, which I already kinda knew.

Prior value + 10% + market value of improvements.  That is the simple fucking math that this assholes are strategically and purposively too incompetent to do. 

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

Same issue here. I added a fucking pergola and they removed my homestead cap.  I am in process of protesting and quoting these sons of bitches Texas Tax Code 23.23.

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/TX/htm/TX.23.htm

Sec. 23.23. LIMITATION ON APPRAISED VALUE OF RESIDENCE HOMESTEAD. (a) Notwithstanding the requirements of Section 25.18 and regardless of whether the appraisal office has appraised the property and determined the market value of the property for the tax year, an appraisal office may increase the appraised value of a residence homestead for a tax year to an amount not to exceed the lesser of:

(1) the market value of the property for the most recent tax year that the market value was determined by the appraisal office; or

(2) the sum of:

(A) 10 percent of the appraised value of the property for the preceding tax year;

(B) the appraised value of the property for the preceding tax year; and

(C) the market value of all new improvements to the property.

They’re supposed to only go over the cap for the amount of the new improvement. 

so for shank if the pool is 50k value then it should be something like 2021 value x1.1 +50k for assessed. MV they can assign what they want. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

so for shank if the pool is 50k value then it should be something like 2021 value x1.1 +50k for assessed. MV they can assign what they want. 

If it's done this way, that's one thing. If they try and pull shit like they're doing on Anastasis, that's chickenshit bullshit.

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

This an interesting issue I didn’t think about. We put in the pool last year and with them agreeing to the revised value this year based on my sales price last year they are going to have to include the pool in that value since it already shows up as a line item on my notice. Homestead will kick in this year and 10% cap next so may save me a few bucks.

If it's done this way, that's one thing. If they try and pull shit like they're doing on Anastasis, that's chickenshit bullshit.

Exactly. Refusal to do the basic math is one thing. But that is only the start of it. Its a strategy. Somebody needs to sue their ass to bolivia. 

Back in 2018 we pulled a permit for adding a bath and rearranging interior walls to fit (no new sq ft).  They said it qualified as a major remodel, removed our homestead cap, and upgraded our condition on the house to being the same as all the new construction in the neighborhood.  The resulting tax bill was based on a valuation at least a hundred thousand above the cost of the remodel even if I hadn't done the vast majority of the work.  That made our taxes almost more than our mortgage.  All for a little 1300 sq ft starter house.

I didn't know the tax code above so we just got fucked until we moved (to a new house where our homestead started higher...yay!).  Its definitely a strategy and they're deliberately going after money they shouldn't, hoping they don't get called out on it.

Now if they'd just value commercial halfway intelligently, they wouldn't have to do any of this shit.   As it stands this is just one of the reasons Austin is un-fucking-affordable.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Email sent out that Hays County got unauthorized access to the MLS.  Don't know if you can use it in your protests, but good luck.

Earlier this morning, ACTRIS sent a cease and desist to the Hays Central Appraisal District (HCAD) regarding the unauthorized use of ACTRIS MLS data. Here’s what you need to know.

We have been made aware that an appraiser working for HCAD may have accessed ACTRIS data in violation of the terms of service. We are actively investigating the source(s) of the unauthorized data access and how MLS data may have been inappropriately used in the appraisal of Hays County properties.

Just finished with my informal protest.

I spent 3 hours yesterday reviewing the exact comps provided by TCAD.  I found each and every home's sale website ( all of which are still up), screenshot all the interior pictures that showed the extreme upgrades of the property - 1 of the comps was a shithole... I used that one as well because I basically presented my POS as a shithole.

I then uploaded photos of my interior of the home, the crazy floorplan and got it all into the system 24 hours before my protest so that all could be reviewed.

appraiser agreed with me on 2 of the 3 comps being out of bounds compared to mine, and I used a sept sale home that was almost identical in sq footage to mine ( kinda rare, mine is a 1964 build in 78757 with 2100 sq feet) that sold for $100k less than my appraisal.

so appraiser agrees that my price should be about $50k less than I was accessed at... but literally asks me... "why do you even care? This isnt going to matter to you because your homestead exemption is well below this amount, weren't you trying to get your taxes lowered, this won't do that"

great... this tells me I am dealing with a fucking moron.

had to side step the obvious answer of "No shit dickhead, I cant fix this years homestead exemption being raised, but if you lower my fucking value by $50k this year, it means I start $50k less next year on my fucking increase"

had to tell him," I dont care about the exemption, I want the home properly valued at market value", homestead exemption be damned. 

He tried three freaking times to get me to just accept the existing value... I told him why would I do that when even YOU agreed that my home was roughly $50k overpriced.

final number is I got $43k off the assessed value myself... doesnt mean shit this year, but fuck, last year I only got $3k off what they originally appraised the house at.

Thats some progress, who knows, maybe in 3 years this finally ends up saving me money.

ruh roh, Hays County dun fucked up.

Earlier this morning, ACTRIS sent a cease and desist to the Hays Central Appraisal District (HCAD) regarding the unauthorized use of ACTRIS MLS data. Here’s what you need to know.

We have been made aware that an appraiser working for HCAD may have accessed ACTRIS data in violation of the terms of service. We are actively investigating the source(s) of the unauthorized data access and how MLS data may have been inappropriately used in the appraisal of Hays County properties.

Unauthorized access to MLS data by an appraisal district or any other entity is unacceptable. The Texas legislature has been clear about the respect, freedom, and privacy homeowners should have regarding their home purchases and sales, and we will not interrupt that expectation.

As a governmental entity, HCAD is not open to the public to conduct appraisals for compensation, and therefore does not meet ACTRIS rules regarding the authorized use of the platform. Additionally, licensed appraisers who have authorized access to the MLS are prohibited from sharing MLS data beyond the purposes of providing appraisals for consumers. 

The unauthorized use of MLS data by county appraisal districts is an ongoing issue across the state of Texas. ACTRIS has been and will continue to lead the charge in proactively addressing violations to our rules. 

Rest assured, actions will be taken to ensure full accountability from all parties enabling the unauthorized exploitation of ACTRIS MLS data. Please remain on the lookout for additional updates on this issue.

Sincerely, 
Cord Shiflet

2022 President

ABoR & ACTRIS Boards of Directors

Emily Chenevert

Chief Executive Officer

Austin Board of REALTORS® & ACTRIS

On 5/24/2022 at 4:07 PM, immamac said:

ruh roh, Hays County dun fucked up.

it won't make a shit. TCAD did it a few years back and all it did was freeze appraisal values for a year, and then the last 2 years they've had monster increases to get up to "FMV."

I made this handy chart to help people with the Appraised/Market vs Assessed/Taxable conundrum.

I showed a scenario where in 2023 the protest brings the Appraised/Market down but it does not get to the point of changing taxes owed because it is still well above the Assessed value.  So if you cannot protest to a level below your assessed value you save no money.  You can try again the next year.  I know some people are saying that you may be able to realize a savings in the following year but that is iffy.  Just protest next year.

It also shows where in 2019-21 the assessed value is capped by appraised.

image.thumb.png.05ec14627634737d97fe4500a70403d8.png

Edited by TexasEd