UT-RGV @ Texas Game Thread

TrashMaster G

UT-RGV (16-11) @ #7 Texas (21-9)

6:30pm, Disch-Falk Field

UT-RGV RHP Max Balderrama Jr. (1-1, 10.12)

vs

Texas RHP Justin Eckhardt (1-0, 4.32)

Texas hosts UTRGV at UFCU Disch-Falk Field on Tuesday to begin a five-game homestand. The Longhorns lead the all-time series with a 52-6 record, including a 44-1 mark at home. In the last matchup, Texas cruised to a 15-2 run-rule win in seven innings. Silas Ardoin had three hits, including a homer, and a career-high five RBI.

Well, we still lead the all-time series.  I don't think UT-B had a baseball team, IIRC.  csb/ one of my uncles played briefly for UT-Pan Am way back in the day (mid 60's, middle infield).  And one of my cousins is the eye doctor/vision coach for the UT-RGV Vaqueros.  

Cool that FEZ is able to pitch tonight for UTRGV, didn't think he had any eligilbility left. 

8 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Well, we still lead the all-time series.  I don't think UT-B had a baseball team, IIRC.  csb/ one of my uncles played briefly for UT-Pan Am way back in the day (mid 60's, middle infield).  And one of my cousins is the eye doctor/vision coach for the UT-RGV Vaqueros.  

Cool that FEZ is able to pitch tonight for UTRGV, didn't think he had any eligilbility left. 

my dad played at pan am too, early / mid 70’s, they were a powerhouse 

2 of those L’s punched their ticket to the college World Series 

Edited by tx 3 putt

Just now, tx 3 putt said:

Good chance they knew each other, my uncle hung around the program while working when he left school.  I shouldn't have typed UT-Pan Am. Back then it was just Pan American College/University (can't remember when the switch was, but didn't become a UT System school for a long while after that).   But I think he was there around the transition from NAIA to NCAA.  School got pretty big.  But to your point, yeah the 1970's were a heyday for them, made the NCAA tourney on the regular.  I think they even made Omaha one year too, right?  I remember going to visit my mom's mom and some aunts/uncles still in the Valley when I was a kid and either an uncle or my dad would take us to a Pan Am ball game (this woulda been very late 70's to mid 80's).  Takes me back...  

36 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

I took that tidbit straight off of the texassports.com preview.

Yeah, not blaming you.  The system decided that UTRGV should absorb Pan Am's history but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  I think Brownsville had a team but it was NAIA.

48 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

2 of those L’s punched their ticket to the college World Series 

I seem to remember some sort of monument at their stadium for a player killed by a lightening strike. 

42 minutes ago, WBT said:

Yeah, not blaming you.  The system decided that UTRGV should absorb Pan Am's history but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  I think Brownsville had a team but it was NAIA.

You can't blame System for wanting to highlight Pan Am baseball history over UT-B.  Pan Am made the NCAA tourney like 12 times in the 70's and 80's, including Omaha.  Most of us have no idea if UT-B even had a team or what level they played at.  

33 minutes ago, Horndog said:

I seem to remember some sort of monument at their stadium for a player killed by a lightening strike. 

Ray Caldwell did not attend Pan Am.  As far as I know he's the only college/pro baseball player ever struck by lightning.  But I'm sure there were others at myriad levels.  I've been to Pan Am so many times, I'm sure I would have noticed such a statue..but haven't been there in many years so I dunno.  I posted the remarkable life story (truncated even by Lobo standards) of Ray Caldwell.  Read up on him if you ever get a chance.  He led one of the most amazing lives you'll ever learn about.  Fun fact, he was half-drunk in that game he completed.  He credits his being "loose" to survive the strike.  

Alright, let's get two! 

21 minutes ago, Lobo said:

You can't blame System for wanting to highlight Pan Am baseball history over UT-B.  Pan Am made the NCAA tourney like 12 times in the 70's and 80's, including Omaha.  Most of us have no idea if UT-B even had a team or what level they played at.  

Ray Caldwell did not attend Pan Am.  As far as I know he's the only college/pro baseball player ever struck by lightning.  But I'm sure there were others at myriad levels.  I've been to Pan Am so many times, I'm sure I would have noticed such a statue..but haven't been there in many years so I dunno.  I posted the remarkable life story (truncated even by Lobo standards) of Ray Caldwell.  Read up on him if you ever get a chance.  He led one of the most amazing lives you'll ever learn about.  Fun fact, he was half-drunk in that game he completed.  He credits his being "loose" to survive the strike.  

Alright, let's get two! 

https://goutrgv.com/sports/2012/7/6/BB_0706121417.aspx

Jody Ramsey. Pan Am player electrocuted while working on the stadium.  Sorry, apparently no lightning involved. 

Shoot, never knew that's why the old stadium was named that.  Decent chance my uncle knew him.  Really good chance tx 3 putt's dad knew him/played with him.  Man sounded like an all-around great guy and player.  Even helped build the new stadium.  RIP #6.  

15 minutes ago, Spaceman_Spiff said:

I like it tbh, maybe flip Faltine and Todd, but I think this is right. Any word on EK?

My thought was maybe Todd at the 2 - Stehly back to 4. 

Honestly - there aren't a ton of wrong answers with the way these guys are swinging. Something like DC at 2 is even somewhat intriguing with his speed.

Just now, OU Sucks said:

It didn't make sense to me that a dude hitting .450 was behind our power hitter, but apparently now that we've swapped them, Murphy hits the homer and Ivan gets the single.

Kennedy-Stehly-Melendez is a salty ass top of the lineup. Keep Stehly in the 2 hole  

• Hook 'Em 1