Global Spring?

Immaculate Vibes

6 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

@Immaculate Vibes Is this what you had in mind?  Because it seems like Sri Lanka is on the verge of collapse.

Yep pretty much. 

The big question over the next 12-18 months will be how pervasive and persistent are the food shortages? That will determine how many Sri Lanka’s happen. 

• Like 1

Sri Lanka is the first domino to fall in the face of a global debt crisis.

The UN has sought to quantify the problem. Its trade and development arm, UNCTAD, said in a recent report that there were 107 countries facing at least one of three shocks: rising food prices, rising energy prices or tighter financial conditions.

All three shocks were being faced by 69 countries – 25 in Africa, 25 in Asia and the Pacific, and 19 in Latin America and the Pacific.

1 hour ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

Yep pretty much. 

The big question over the next 12-18 months will be how pervasive and persistent are the food shortages? That will determine how many Sri Lanka’s happen. 

A friend whose wife's family is from/in Sri Lanka  said the Western media, and even social media, is a few days behind what is happening there, and there are plenty of people dying from a lack of electricity (there is a massive heat wave from what it sounds like) and people in certain areas have no water and very little food, because fuel access is a problem. 

It sounded like a massive shitshow in the cities where water was running out, and food deliveries were crippled/non-exitence, and that the folks in the villages were doing a little better since they had access to some food and water.

• Hook 'Em 1

For those not familiar with the baby formula shortage:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10801581/FDA-refuses-say-baby-formula-plant-reopen-despite-companys-claims-facility-safe.html

Why is biggest baby formula plant in US STILL shut down after three months? Abbott says plant is safe and was not responsible for bacteria that killed two kids - but FDA refuses to reopen it as parents across US struggle to feed their babies

Abbott Laboratories claims its Michigan plant is not responsible for bacteria that killed at least two infants

The baby formula manufacturer alleged an FDA investigation revealed 'infant formula produced at our Sturgis facility is not the likely source of infection'

Abbott claims products from the facility did not cause any bacterial outbreak 

The plant still remains closed despite the findings after shutting down in February amid a major product recall 

Abbott says it's 'working closely with the FDA to restart operations' at the plant as parents across the nation are struggling to get formula for their babies

...The formula shortage, which has become a national crisis, was triggered by supply chain issues, but spiked with the closure of the Abbott plant...

...The nationwide share of out-of-stock baby formula hit 40 percent in April. Texas, Tennessee, Missouri, Iowa, North Dakota and South Dakota, seemingly hardest hit by the shortages, reported out-of-stock rates of about 50 percent....

Even Congress is now concerned, they will hold hearings...

...2 weeks from now.  Way to prioritize.

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10801581/FDA-refuses-say-baby-formula-plant-reopen-despite-companys-claims-facility-safe.html

Why is biggest baby formula plant in US STILL shut down after three months? Abbott says plant is safe and was not responsible for bacteria that killed two kids - but FDA refuses to reopen it as parents across US struggle to feed their babies

Abbott Laboratories claims its Michigan plant is not responsible for bacteria that killed at least two infants

The baby formula manufacturer alleged an FDA investigation revealed 'infant formula produced at our Sturgis facility is not the likely source of infection'

The plant still remains closed despite the findings after shutting down in February amid a major product recall 

Abbott says it's 'working closely with the FDA to restart operations' at the plant as parents across the nation are struggling to get formula for their babies

...The formula shortage, which has become a national crisis, was triggered by supply chain issues, but spiked with the closure of the Abbott plant...

...The nationwide share of out-of-stock baby formula hit 40 percent in April. Texas, Tennessee, Missouri, Iowa, North Dakota and South Dakota, seemingly hardest hit by the shortages, reported out-of-stock rates of about 50 percent....

Baby Formula.

UFOs.

Only one of those goes up your butt.  Thus, UFOs getting priority checks out.

51 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Call your family and friends and have everyone hunt when they're at the store, particularly any retirees that can get to the store at 7 or 8 am with regularity.  That's when we've been finding it.  ANd I've had the opportunity to buy the allotment, but won't do it out of general conscience that other people are in the same boat I am.  

That or make friends with a pediatrician.  They can get close to unlimited supply.  Hit them up and get a month or so worth of formula, then buy what you can when you find it.  At least you'll have a cushion.   

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

Isn't the US a net exporter of oil and refined product?  Might be some domestic logistical challenges, and high prices, but no rationing.  Come on.  For that matter, if you're running low on diesel, just raise the price.  That's how supply/demand works, Mr. Catsdermititis.

Edited by Parliament
  • Hook 'Em 1

The exports go out of the gulf coast down to Central and Southern America. Due to the hesitance to build out further pipeline and the protectionist Jones Act we do not have the capability or capacity to transport the excess fuel from the gulf coast over to the east coast. 

The Jones Act requires that all goods transported by water between U.S. ports be carried on ships that have been constructed in the United States and that fly the U.S. flag, are owned by U.S. citizens, and are crewed by U.S. citizens and U.S. permanent residents.

We simply do not have that many American made, American crewed product tankers.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Call your family and friends and have everyone hunt when they're at the store, particularly any retirees that can get to the store at 7 or 8 am with regularity.  That's when we've been finding it.  ANd I've had the opportunity to buy the allotment, but won't do it out of general conscience that other people are in the same boat I am.  

That or make friends with a pediatrician.  They can get close to unlimited supply.  Hit them up and get a month or so worth of formula, then buy what you can when you find it.  At least you'll have a cushion.   

Man I was thinking about your previous post on this the other day.  Hope y'all have been hanging in there.  I know that can't be easy to deal with.  

5 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Man I was thinking about your previous post on this the other day.  Hope y'all have been hanging in there.  I know that can't be easy to deal with.  

We’ve been doing ok.  Family has been able to round some up, and my S-I-L works at BSW as a PTA, and a pediatrician friend of hers up there gave us about a month‘S worth, so now we have a little cushion.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Our youngest turns one tomorrow, and I've been trying to get the wife to start mixing in a little milk with the formula to stretch it out now that he is old enough, but my wife doesn't understand why I am eager to try and wean him off of formula. Maybe because you have to go to three different stores to find it, and even if you do it costs significantly more?

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Get you a goat.  Goat milk is good for babies.  (I've read.  Should probably confirm before you go and do it.)

I don't plan on ever having a milk animal, be it goat or cow or whatever. It's easy enough throw a few bucks to the neighbor kid to get him to feed the dogs for a weekend if we go camping, but asking him to milk our goat?

• Like 1

Our youngest turns one tomorrow, and I've been trying to get the wife to start mixing in a little milk with the formula to stretch it out now that he is old enough, but my wife doesn't understand why I am eager to try and wean him off of formula. Maybe because you have to go to three different stores to find it, and even if you do it costs significantly more?

The kid should be weened off “milk” by one anyway.

1 hour ago, MissingInAction said:

What's going on with the titties of America? Why can't the little fuck trophies just breast feed?

My wife can't because she's got a form of epilepsy.  Breastfeeding does a lot to the body, and trying to breastfeed made her have seizures even while taking her medicine.  Some folks just can't do it.  

11 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

My wife can't because she's got a form of epilepsy.  Breastfeeding does a lot to the body, and trying to breastfeed made her have seizures even while taking her medicine.  Some folks just can't do it.  

Sorry to hear that man. 

What about surrogate titties? You could hire some fat milkers to stand in for the mrs while you observe for research purposes.

14 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Sorry to hear that man. 

What about surrogate titties? You could hire some fat milkers to stand in for the mrs while you observe for research purposes.

We found out the hard way after baby #1 had been home for about 3 days from a 1 month stay in the NICU.  Fragile little baby and mom to the ER with a grand mal.  I mean, the stress of NICU was the most likely culprit, but her neuro also said that breastfeeding really drains Dep levels.  

With kid #2, we tried to use my S-I-L's milk, but her little boy is an absolute chunk, thus there was not much leftover.   And then, once a kid gets pretty acclimated to formula, the switch or back and forth can be brutal on their stomach and your sleep.  

Edited by Trey3216

2 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

I'd recommend La Hacienda and other Mexican grocery stores. They were my lifeline during the initial covid shortages. 

The people in those areas can't afford to hoard.

MIA isn't wrong.  Seriously, when there's a shortage of ANY "grocery" item, shop in a neighborhood where most shoppers live paycheck to paycheck.  They can't afford to spend $200 to buy 10 cases of TP.  They buy it 4 rolls at a time, the day after they get paid.  Milk, baby formula, eggs, all of those follow the pattern as well.  That's how I shopped for some basics early in COVID and even post-Snowpocalypse, and it worked like a charm.  Just buy what you need, so everyone else can do the same.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

North Korea reported their first COVID case earlier this week

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/12/asia/north-korea-covid-death-outbreak-intl-hnk/index.html

North Korea has announced an "explosive" Covid-19 outbreak that has likely killed six people and infected more than 350,000, according to state media, prompting fears of an impending and deadly crisis in the isolated and impoverished nation. 

The announcement comes a day after the country reported its first ever coronavirus case, calling the situation a "major national emergency."

On Thursday, North Korea reported 18,000 new "fever cases" and six deaths, one of which tested positive for the BA.2 sub-variant of Omicron, state media KCNA reported on Friday.North Korea has not confirmed that all "fever" cases and deaths are Covid-19, likely due to its limited testing capability.

"A fever whose cause couldn't be identified explosively spread nationwide since late April," the newspaper said. "As of now up to 187,800 people are being isolated."

cheryl-cole-right.gif

• Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Sorry to hear that Trey. Seizures fucked up life for a few years.

Which seizure medication is she on? I tried a few different ones (Kepler and Trileptal), and Lamotrigine has been the most effective for me.

I know it doesn’t help the situation of not being able to breast feed. But keep on trying different seizure meds until you find the right one(s). 

• Like 1

January Tonga volcano more powerful than thought

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/12/asia/tonga-eruption-biggest-in-more-a-century-scn/index.html

The volcanic eruption on an island near Tonga in January was as powerful as the 1883 Krakatoa eruption in Indonesia, one of the deadliest and most destructive volcanic events on record.

Scientists have begun to piece together what happened during the January 15 eruption of the undersea Hunga Tonga-Hunga Ha'apai volcano about 65 kilometers (40 miles) north of Tonga's capital that killed at least three people. The eruption has defied easy explanation and upended scientists' understanding of this type of volcano. 

The volcanic eruption sent rarely observed pressure waves around the globe for six days and unleashed an unexpected type of tsunami wave, according to two new studies published on Thursday in the journal Science. The huge plume of gases, water vapor and dust also created hurricane-strength winds in space, NASA said in a separate study published this week. 

Early data in the aftermath of the explosion suggested it was the biggest since the 1991 Mount Pinatubo eruption in the Philippines, but the Science studies, which involved 76 scientists in 17 countries, have suggested that the pressure waves it unleashed were similar to those generated by the cataclysmic 1883 Krakatoa eruption and 10 times larger than those from the 1980 Mount St. Helens eruption in Skamania County, Washington.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Superhero said:

Sorry to hear that Trey. Seizures fucked up life for a few years.

Which seizure medication is she on? I tried a few different ones (Kepler and Trileptal), and Lamotrigine has been the most effective for me.

I know it doesn’t help the situation of not being able to breast feed. But keep on trying different seizure meds until you find the right one(s). 

She was on depacote, now on Keppra.   

• Hook 'Em 1

MIA isn't wrong.  Seriously, when there's a shortage of ANY "grocery" item, shop in a neighborhood where most shoppers live paycheck to paycheck.  They can't afford to spend $200 to buy 10 cases of TP.  They buy it 4 rolls at a time, the day after they get paid.  Milk, baby formula, eggs, all of those follow the pattern as well.  That's how I shopped for some basics early in COVID and even post-Snowpocalypse, and it worked like a charm.  Just buy what you need, so everyone else can do the same.
I'd recommend La Hacienda and other Mexican grocery stores. They were my lifeline during the initial covid shortages. 
The people in those areas can't afford to hoard.
Co-sign

Anytime there is a water/TP shortage I find a Food Town/City/Land and they always have stock.

22 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

We found out the hard way after baby #1 had been home for about 3 days from a 1 month stay in the NICU.  Fragile little baby and mom to the ER with a grand mal.  I mean, the stress of NICU was the most likely culprit, but her neuro also said that breastfeeding really drains Dep levels.  

With kid #2, we tried to use my S-I-L's milk, but her little boy is an absolute chunk, thus there was not much leftover.   And then, once a kid gets pretty acclimated to formula, the switch or back and forth can be brutal on their stomach and your sleep.  

Had a friend years back that worked for the Austin Milk bank.  Essentially a voluntary drop-off process for mothers milk from mom's with a surplus.  For NICU babies, it's utterly and absolutely life saving.  Problem is the distillation process (or whatever they do) is so significant a lot becomes a little in a hurry, so there's never enough to go around.

Good luck my man!

January Tonga volcano more powerful than thought
https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/12/asia/tonga-eruption-biggest-in-more-a-century-scn/index.html
The volcanic eruption on an island near Tonga in January was as powerful as the 1883 Krakatoa eruption in Indonesia, one of the deadliest and most destructive volcanic events on record.
Scientists have begun to piece together what happened during the January 15 eruption of the undersea Hunga Tonga-Hunga Ha'apai volcano about 65 kilometers (40 miles) north of Tonga's capital that killed at least three people. The eruption has defied easy explanation and upended scientists' understanding of this type of volcano. 
The volcanic eruption sent rarely observed pressure waves around the globe for six days and unleashed an unexpected type of tsunami wave, according to two new studies published on Thursday in the journal Science. The huge plume of gases, water vapor and dust also created hurricane-strength winds in space, NASA said in a separate study published this week. 
Early data in the aftermath of the explosion suggested it was the biggest since the 1991 Mount Pinatubo eruption in the Philippines, but the Science studies, which involved 76 scientists in 17 countries, have suggested that the pressure waves it unleashed were similar to those generated by the cataclysmic 1883 Krakatoa eruption and 10 times larger than those from the 1980 Mount St. Helens eruption in Skamania County, Washington.

That’s fascinating. I didn’t realize the eruption was that large (TWSS). It will be interesting to see the continued research. I’m curious why there wasn’t much more of an impact since it was as large at the Krakatoa eruption which was devastating.