Global Spring?

Immaculate Vibes

12 hours ago, CHIEF said:

With commodity prices through the roof already, and a World possibly on the brink of a mass starvation event, ethanol production should be shelved. I know it's feeder corn, and not sweet corn, in the fields, at this moment, but whatever percentage of the acreage of corn that is put into ethanol, at this time, should be sown with food crops. Rainfall and yield would be impossible to calculate, but keeping people alive should trump shitty gas.

CHIEF

about that….

announced on Tuesday a plan to suspend a ban on summertime sales of higher-ethanol gasoline blends

NYT

12 minutes ago, ONE YARD said:

about that….

NYT

This is what I was alluding to earlier. The Senators and Reps from Iowa have been pushing for Biden to do what Trump did and extend the use of E15 through the summer. Senator Grassley has been selling it as a means to ease fuel prices.

16 hours ago, F250 said:

This is what I was alluding to earlier. The Senators and Reps from Iowa have been pushing for Biden to do what Trump did and extend the use of E15 through the summer. Senator Grassley has been selling it as a means to ease fuel prices.

If faced with the decision between eating and filling up an F350 what do you think would win?

4 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

If faced with the decision between eating and filling up an F350 what do you think would win?

If it's between filling up an F350 and third world poors eating the F350 wins. This is America.

18 minutes ago, F250 said:

If it's between filling up an F350 and third world poors eating the F350 wins. This is America.

Username almost checks out.

And let's not go hard on just the corn state voters.  Gas prices are a problem that's more immediate  and  visible to voters everywhere.  

On 4/13/2022 at 4:02 AM, Superhero said:

Will this lead to the great banana famine of 2025? Will the US be inundated by immigrants looking for other sources of potassium?

I jest. There was an NPR podcast with the same story. The Aussies are using CRSPR technology to genetically alter the Cavendish banana to be more resistant to the fungus.

Or maybe we’ll just start farming and eating another type of banana that will be even less tasty but more transportable. 

Yes you could. $1 billion would buy a lot of toe curling blowjobs, and more importantly, secrecy.

Or you could’ve just married a woman who doesn’t mind blowing you from time to time. I guess I got lucky. 

Wtf am I supposed to put in the tail pipe then?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Parliament said:

China's gonna have trouble feeding their OWN people.  

Yeah other people have said that here. I don’t know enough to counter that other than I have seen they have 18 months worth of grain in storage. That’s 18 months for the largest population in the world. I’m guessing they can afford to peel off small amounts to bail out other countries in exchange for money and other strategic concessions. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

@Al_4_ISU or anyone from Big Farming

Have you heard anything about a fertilizer shortage?

It's tight but we are good for this season. Should have the capacity to build inventories domestically ahead of fall. Bigger than fertilizer is that the weather needs to cooperate here and in South America to build a cushion. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

On 4/9/2022 at 4:55 PM, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

I see no one talked about the Twinkie shortage of 2017, that really started it all. Should have seen the signs then. Except dunkaroos came back so it clouded the meek outlook. 

the world really should have seen it coming

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_butter_crisis

We have a lot of ours locked in and delivered.  It's definitely a real concern among the community though.

In our neighborhood, a continued lack of fertilizer would lead to more soybeans grown next year (they require much less fertilizer than corn), and would definitely result in continued commodity price increases as yields inevitably drop.

No one around us is freaking out yet, but it's something everyone is watching and it could have some major tangible effects down the line.

Our more immediate issue is the unseasonal cold preventing us from getting to the field.  Snow's been gone since the end of February, but every week we'll get 3-4 days with overnight lows below freezing, which has put planting on pause.  We started planting on 4/20 last year, and we're going to be lucky to start by the 26th this year.  A week might not seem like much, but it is.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

@Al_4_ISU or anyone from Big Farming

Have you heard anything about a fertilizer shortage?

The US is mostly fine.  Totally unrelated, a big Canadian railroad (Canada Pacific?) is on strike and deliveries in the northern plains are goofed up.

Globally we are probably OK for spring, as most inventory is positioned for planting in the northern hemisphere.  But the rest of the World is in for a rough go.  They don't have the buying per of iSU and Royalfan.

Grain prices are going bonkers, especially wheat and corn.  Ie:

Screenshot_20220419-102748_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Parliament
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Asking for a friend?

Yeah, want to know if my friend should feel dirty or not. I had no idea what/who JoJo is. I’m still not sure of the age in that picture taken in 2006, but a quick google search indicates no shame should be felt looking at current pictures

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Hate said:

Beer is best out of a bottle. Cans are ok and tap is the worst. The problem with tap is that it is too inconsistent from bar to bar.

I'm waiting for them to start selling beer in juice-box form.  I mean, a cop is never going to pull you over for drinking what looks like a box of Hi-C.