ACL Fest 2022 - It Warrants a Thread

Footballpants

We're about a month away from the ACL Fest Lineup drop in early May. It seems like every band in the world is out on tour right now, so who you got coming to the ATX this October?

Potential Headliners...Stevie Nicks, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Dua Lipa, Aerosmith, Halsey, and Nine Inch Nails keep popping up in the rumor mill. I would love to see Billy Strings, Whiskey Meyers, Khruangbin, and War on Drugs on the bill, and their tours seem to line-up nicely with a stop at ACL.

4 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

I’ll go out on a limb and guess Asleep at the Wheel is there. 

Last year I made bingo cards, and having them on the bill was center square.  

Regarding acts I always have the dream sheet of Glass Animals, ODESZA, Deadmau5, and a few other electronica type acts that seem to be reasonably rare at ACL.  Luckily I’ve seen most of them out there but hope for repeats as they are some of my favorite live shows.  

Then again I don’t get hung up on lineups anymore, as we are going regardless, and in years of shit lineups I just spend more time in the beer tent and people watching. 

That's one thing they've never really had, the hair metal nostalgia act.  whoever said, it's rare they book an electronica band...wtf?  They book way too many as far as I'm concerned.  At least 2-3+/day.  Some leaks will come out about a week after the NFL draft.  I'm holding out hope they finally get Dolly Parton.  They've been trying for years.  I'd bet on Stevie Nicks were I a betting man.  

4 hours ago, stc said:

guns n roses was very much a hair metal nostalgia act

Guns 'n Roses were a legitimate hard rock band in their heyday.  They should not be conflated with shittastic acts like poison, warrant, skid row, motley crue, et. al.  And when the returned to the stage at ACL a few years ago, they were a proper hard rock band once again.  Yeah, they had a couple of corny singles with bad makeup and moussed-up hair...but their early catalog and their recent reboot is stand-up heavy rock done right.  They put on a kickass show at ACL that should not be confused with two-bit bullshit reunion multi-headliner festivals with Ratt, Whitesnake, et. al.  For all their drugs and blow dryers...those guys made some great fucking records with original shit that'll well outlast 99% of their contemporaries.  

10 hours ago, Lobo said:

Guns 'n Roses were a legitimate hard rock band in their heyday.  They should not be conflated with shittastic acts like poison, warrant, skid row, motley crue, et. al.  And when the returned to the stage at ACL a few years ago, they were a proper hard rock band once again.  Yeah, they had a couple of corny singles with bad makeup and moussed-up hair...but their early catalog and their recent reboot is stand-up heavy rock done right.  They put on a kickass show at ACL that should not be confused with two-bit bullshit reunion multi-headliner festivals with Ratt, Whitesnake, et. al.  For all their drugs and blow dryers...those guys made some great fucking records with original shit that'll well outlast 99% of their contemporaries.  

nice try, but no. 

• Hook 'Em 1

If you really lump in Guns 'n Roses, whether at their peak of popularity or nowadays, with that shitheap list fleshed out above, then we've not much to agree on musically.  

17 hours ago, stc said:

guns n roses was very much a hair metal nostalgia act

This.  Maybe they aren't Crue, Poison hair metal, but during that period they sure tried at it.  They were basically the last of hair metal.  Kind of like the last big time radial engines.  They didn't look much like the originals, but they still were what they were. 

12 hours ago, Lobo said:

No one is saying they weren't a good band back in the day, and that they didn't put on a good show at ACL.  These things are both true.

But just because they threw on some flannel, it didn't mean that at essence, they were a hair metal band.  They were better than those other hair metal bands you referenced.  But they were the dying gasp of hair metal.

Fair point.  But they were actually talented, with good songwriting.  They weren't just a "hair act" for MTV.  Their records are legit top-to-bottom gold.  I still listen to them regularly not for nostalgia but because the albums are that enduringly good.  You only put on a Poison or Warrant song for a laugh or a stripper.  

6 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Fair point.  But they were actually talented, with good songwriting.  They weren't just a "hair act" for MTV.  Their records are legit top-to-bottom gold.  I still listen to them regularly not for nostalgia but because the albums are that enduringly good.  You only put on a Poison or Warrant song for a laugh or a stripper.  

An old stripper.  I mean, if I were to speculate.  

On 4/7/2022 at 9:50 AM, Chad Fuck said:

No one is saying they weren't a good band back in the day, and that they didn't put on a good show at ACL.  These things are both true.

But just because they threw on some flannel, it didn't mean that at essence, they were a hair metal band.  They were better than those other hair metal bands you referenced.  But they were the dying gasp of hair metal.

On 4/7/2022 at 9:52 AM, Lobo said:

Yo, Chad Fuck, just because you want them to be hair metal doesn't mean they're hair metal.  Granted Axle Rose could work a can of Aquanet, but they didn't wear makeup on the regs and weren't a bunch of pretty boys.  Hair metal was the bubblegum pop of 80s metal, and GnR had an edge that was anything but bubblegum. 

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, destroya said:

Yo, Chad Fuck, just because you want them to be hair metal doesn't mean they're hair metal.  Granted Axle Rose could work a can of Aquanet, but they didn't wear makeup on the regs and weren't a bunch of pretty boys.  Hair metal was the bubblegum pop of 80s metal, and GnR had an edge that was anything but bubblegum. 

I don't want them to be anything. They were what they were.    

GettyImages-1124270720.jpg?w=980&q=75

Lookit that hair! 

Yeah, they looked like clowns and overplayed the glam rock lifestyle bit.  But if you lump their music in with the likes of Poison or Whitesnake, you don’t actually know as much about rock music as you claim at parties.  

Sure they pumped out some corny tunes early on for radio/MTV play.  But those first 4-5 albums are serious hard rock overall.  With some fantastic ballads mixed in.  Even the fucking idiots in Cleveland see that.  
so yes technically they are hair metal band and that they had shitty hair and played metal .  But I’ve always considered that term derogatory and rightfully so, but it should not be applied to Guns N’ Roses.  

also, songwriting aside… The musicianship of most of the men in the band is light years ahead of those other hair metal groups.  Straddlin’, slash, and Duff are all very well rounded and capable.  Not just big hair douchbags strumming the same six chords.  

Appetite for Destruction is one of the best hard rock / metal albums of all time.

Those songs share nothing with the garbage Poison, Warrant, Whitesnake and their ilk put out in the 80’s.

Now back to ACL 2020 talk…I would love to see LCD Soundsystem. They were so fucking good back in 2016.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Footballpants said:

Appetite for Destruction is one of the best hard rock / metal albums of all time.

Those songs share nothing with the garbage Poison, Warrant, Whitesnake and their ilk put out in the 80’s.

Now back to ACL 2020 talk…I would love to see LCD Soundsystem. They were so fucking good back in 2016.

This 2020 ACL Festival you mention sounds awesome.  How can we get there?  ;)

My thought on G&R, if you just listen to the bands of that era, they have a distinct, and much better, sound than a lot of shit peddled in the late 80s/early 90s. But they get crap for being lumped in with the other “hair” or “glam” metal bands because they and/or their managers obviously felt the need to adopt something close to the look of the day for marketing purposes.

And a big difference is that if I hear a G&R song today, I usually think that it’s still a solid song, but if I hear a song from Warrant, Poison, Skid Row, or Slaughter, not even the strongest sense of nostalgia can keep me from cringing.

Other than a handful of strip club songs, most people...even avid rock fans...could not discern between a song from Poison, Motley Crue, Warrant, Ratt, et. al.  I can't and I hosted a rock-programmed show for almost 2 years on FM radio.  

Most casual rock fans, younger ones even, can easily identify a song as a GnR song with seconds.  

Everybody I knew growing up from fans of jam bands, heavy metal, punk rock, folk, indie rock, etc.  Everybody had the same half dozen CD's no matter their preferred genre-and Appetite was one of those.  I still have my copy, 35 years later.  If you still have copies of Warrant, your wife is a whore.  

On to the 2022 lineup speculation.  The Black Keys.

15 minutes ago, Footballpants said:

Pearl Jam is hitting OKC and Denver in late September. They’ll be in the vicinity with no conflicting dates and haven’t played ACL since 2016. That would work.

Eddie’s festival is in Dana Point the weekend before. PJ played it last year and at least he and Stone’s side band are there this year. Hoping they’re here but at least some of them would be in CA the week before. In 2009 they came and played in the middle of 4 LA shows though. 

• 2 weeks later...