Dwayne Haskins dead

Pancho

Very little new info, but some nuggets.

https://miami.cbslocal.com/2022/04/11/dwayne-haskins-fhp-death-probe/

April 11, 2022 at 11:05 pm

On Monday afternoon, FHP released what it called its final news release for now on the death of the 24-year-old Steelers quarterback.

A spokeswoman told CBS4’s Peter D’Oench that FHP would not be commenting on camera right now and said the investigation could take up to 90 days.

She added the 911 tapes would not be released by either FHP or BSO until after the investigation. She also said the investigation is open and no charges have been filed. So, the death of Haskins remains a mystery for now. FHP has not said if a vehicle of his was found near the scene.

FHP says Haskins was struck at 6:37 a.m. in the westbound lanes of 595 just west of I-95 near Fort Lauderdale and just west of the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport. While early, there is a lot of traffic going to and from the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport.

CBS4 did receive a police dispatch from the incident in which Haskins was spotted on the highway and police were dispatched to the scene....

https://news.yahoo.com/man-believes-saw-dwayne-haskins-190000179.html

...NBC 6 South Florida spoke to a man who says he believes he saw the 24-year-old Haskins on I-595 westbound just minutes before the crash.

“I was dropping off my daughter to an airline at the Fort Lauderdale Airport in the morning,” said Chris Stanley.

Stanley said he was on the way home after leaving the airport, and heading towards the off-ramp to Interstate 95 north when he noticed vehicles veering into his lane.

“And what I noticed was a Mack truck, or a big tractor-trailer, with also another vehicle that started moving a little bit to the left,” said Stanley. “I was in the left lane and then there was the right lane. And then I noticed an individual there starting to make their way onto the road."

Stanley said he saw the man's arms raised up a little bit as he appeared to be drifting into the major highway.

“He was about halfway, to a quarter way in the right lane, already onto the highway and I was already concerned that somebody was going to strike him right there at that moment," he said.

Stanley said he was so concerned that he dialed 911 and shared a screenshot of his call log with NBC 6 with a call to 911 at 6:31 a.m. — six minutes before Florida Highway Patrol officials said the crash was reported at 6:37 a.m.

Stanley said he did not notice a vehicle along I-595 westbound that may have belonged to Haskins.

“I did not see any vehicle nearby,” said Stanley. “I was more concerned with him because he was already making his way onto the road system...."

22 hours ago, 'stache said:

Dozens of articles have been written about his career, it’s not like people don’t know he starred at Ohio State and hadn’t lived up to it in the NFL, but what does his professional “struggle” have anything at all to do with his tragic death?

It's very likely that it did.  It isn't wrong to describe that possible  connection.

Pretending it was just some random shit is more irresponsible, IMHO.  It's at the root of some major issues in our society, mostly our willingness/ ability to address mental health.

Edited by slorch

That sounds like a CYE bit.  It's a total Larry move.

Either that, or a Jerry Springer episode. The family charged $50 to attend his draft party, probably more for the funeral.

This is strange. No one in the family or his circle have said anything. Nothing from the players he was working out with. Or his girlfriend. Nothing.

5 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

Stanley said he was so concerned that he dialed 911 and shared a screenshot of his call log with NBC 6 with a call to 911 at 6:31 a.m. — six minutes before Florida Highway Patrol officials said the crash was reported at 6:37 a.m.

So Haskins was on a highway for 6 minutes before the crash was reported. That’s a loooong time to be in the middle of a highway on foot

10 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Did you hear the full Brandt audio? The radio host asks him what his evaluation of Haskins was coming out college. He didn't just throw it out there, he was asked about it. But people don't play that part of the audio. If anyone should be criticized (which I don't think anyone should) it should be the guy hosting the radio show asking the questions.  

Fair enough.

another Big10 death , Penn State and former Houston Oiler Gary Brown and Cowboys coach

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33716533/former-dallas-cowboys-running-backs-coach-gary-brown-played-8-seasons-nfl-dies-52

Gary Brown, who spent seven seasons as the Dallas Cowboys' running backs coach, died Sunday after being treated for cancer. He was 52.

• Like 1

Estos. Anyone who knows professional athletes knows the level to which these people have committed their lives to that pursuit. I understand the uproar over the insensitivity of Brandt's comments, but I don't see anything inherently insensitive or outrageous about Schefter's mere mention of Haskins' NFL struggles. It's truly amazing how incredibly sensitive and thin-skinned people have become. And the trend of late - that so many people feel the need to dismantle the lives of everyone who says anything they don't like - is truly a dangerous road to go down.

I remember the good ole days when Walter Cronkite first announced the death of John F Kennedy, who led the US to the failed Bay of Pigs invasion.

The media’s death announcements have been scrutinized for some time. It can be unseemly if a mainstream media outlet has a obit ready too soon - like they had it queued up.

I think we’d be wise to discern between legitimate criticism and commentary about standards of decency and the peanut gallery and bot campaigns wishing to publicly shame others on standards not yet realized.

Only new info I can find is one tweet from a local reporter.  The rest of the Blue Check army is too busy self-righteously wanking about how bad it is to provide actual context when announcing a celebrity death, don't have time to do any follow up reporting. 

So his a car did break down.

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 4/14/2022 at 12:51 PM, Eskimohorn said:

I remember the good ole days when Walter Cronkite first announced the death of John F Kennedy, who led the US to the failed Bay of Pigs invasion.

The media’s death announcements have been scrutinized for some time. It can be unseemly if a mainstream media outlet has a obit ready too soon - like they had it queued up.

I think we’d be wise to discern between legitimate criticism and commentary about standards of decency and the peanut gallery and bot campaigns wishing to publicly shame others on standards not yet realized.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

From today's Spring Game.  Ryan Day was in his 2nd year as QB coach in 2018 when Haskins made our offense into what it is today.   He said this week that if Haskins hadn't blown up he isn't sure he would have gotten the HC gig.

Edited by Parliament

Only new info I can find is one tweet from a local reporter.  The rest of the Blue Check army is too busy self-righteously wanking about how bad it is to provide actual context when announcing a celebrity death, don't have time to do any follow up reporting. 
So his a car did break down.

Only thing I’ve heard that makes any sense.

My not at all educated internet message board poster theory: he probably had been partying. Was driving somewhere with this drunk chick in her car. Im guessing he was driving since she was passed out. Her hooptie breaks down and he gets out to try and get help. Decent chance he was drunk too. Which might explain why a Heisman level athlete wasn’t able to dodge a dump truck.

Total guess. But it at least makes sense to me.

Dwayne Haskins’ wife, Kalabrya Haskins, made a concerned 911 call on the morning of his death and said the Steelers quarterback was “stuck” on the side of a Florida highway and “had to go walk and get gas.”

On the call, which was obtained by South Florida Fox Sports host Andy Slater, Haskins’ wife can be heard telling a 911 dispatcher that Haskins had called her from the side of the road near I-95 in Broward County, Fla., and that he would call her back after he had finished putting gas in his vehicle.

https://nypost.com/2022/04/20/dwayne-haskins-wife-made-worried-911-call-morning-of-quarterbacks-death/

23 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Dwayne Haskins’ wife, Kalabrya Haskins, made a concerned 911 call on the morning of his death and said the Steelers quarterback was “stuck” on the side of a Florida highway and “had to go walk and get gas.”

On the call, which was obtained by South Florida Fox Sports host Andy Slater, Haskins’ wife can be heard telling a 911 dispatcher that Haskins had called her from the side of the road near I-95 in Broward County, Fla., and that he would call her back after he had finished putting gas in his vehicle.

https://nypost.com/2022/04/20/dwayne-haskins-wife-made-worried-911-call-morning-of-quarterbacks-death/

Silver Three Arm Candelabra | Oriental Trading

• Hook 'Em 1

Of course Twitter is bagging on the reporter who tweeted this aspect, even though he left out that they were married over a year.  And left out that she was arrested last July for busting his lip and knocking a tooth out while they were in Vegas:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9791407/Steelers-QB-Dwayne-Haskinss-wife-arrested-knocking-one-teeth.html 

The couple told police they were married in March and were in Las Vegas to celebrate their commitment to each other with friends (could read that several ways)

As Haskins told police, Gondrezick-Haskins was upset that he went to a nightclub with his friends without waiting for her and the rest of their group   

Friends of Gondrezick-Haskins told police they heard an argument between he couple and saw them 'tussling' and shoving each other 

[/no Gil]

45479437-9791407-image-m-17_162635072258

Looks like she ripped a hole in his pants.

Edited by clapclapclap
Post is now rules compliant
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

When it comes to speculation on a death and the tone of the conversation it was much different around here when Jake Ehlinger died. Either it’s never ok to speculate or it always is. Can’t have it both ways. 

That’s fucking stupid. Are you dumb?

Jake Ehlinger played here and his brother was a star here. His family is here. his friends literally read this board. It made sense to keep the comments here tame for those reasons. Dwayne Haskins? No. None of those things. 

I’m sure you’ll somehow insinuate that race has something to do with it, but that’s just moronic. 

• Hook 'Em 8

7 hours ago, Helobious said:

When it comes to speculation on a death and the tone of the conversation it was much different around here when Jake Ehlinger died. Either it’s never ok to speculate or it always is. Can’t have it both ways. 

Bless your heart 

6 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

That’s fucking stupid. Are you dumb?

Jake Ehlinger played here and his brother was a star here. His family is here. his friends literally read this board. It made sense to keep the comments here tame for those reasons. Dwayne Haskins? No. None of those things. 

I’m sure you’ll somehow insinuate that race has something to do with it, but that’s just moronic. 

Way to play the race card for no reason. I don’t see why it should matter who reads the board or who played here or not. At all.

20 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Way to play the race card for no reason. I don’t see why it should matter who reads the board or who played here or not. At all.

There was a thread for speculation and it wasn't somewhere that would make it uncomfortable. So yeah you are just straight wrong here. There's threads with all kinds of death news where the first comments are jokes, what site do you think you are at? 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, immamac said:

There's threads with all kinds of death news where the first comments are jokes, what site do you think you are at? 

I’m saying that’s how it “should” be. But when it was our own player all of a sudden everyone turned into pearl-clutchers. Some in this thread are calling out those close to Haskins for taking offense to the conversation around his death, yet they were probably doing the same thing when rumors around Jake were swirling. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Helobious said:

I am not playing the race card. I don't play the race card. Just can't understand any reason you wouldn't understand the difference between someone who is from here and played here and someone who isn't from here and didn't play here. They are not remotely similar situations aside from two dead athletes.

4 hours ago, Helobious said:

I’m saying that’s how it “should” be. But when it was our own player all of a sudden everyone turned into pearl-clutchers. Some in this thread are calling out those close to Haskins for taking offense to the conversation around his death, yet they were probably doing the same thing when rumors around Jake were swirling. 

Read the room

9 hours ago, Helobious said:

The post you responded to said there was a separate thread for speculation?

• 4 weeks later...

Investigators are revealing more details surrounding Dwayne Haskins' death ... saying in reports released on Monday the QB "drank heavily" and ingested ketamine in the hours leading up to his passing, and also had a blood alcohol level of .24 at the time of the April 9 accident.

According to a Broward County Medical Examiner's Office investigation report ... a rep for the Steelers told investigators Haskins had trained with teammates in the Miami area all day on April 8, before eventually heading to a club in the evening with a "friend/cousin."

In the documents, investigators say the rep told them Haskins "drank heavily" ... and then got into a fight.

Hours later, Haskins was found dead on a Florida highway after being struck by a dump truck.

https://www.tmz.com/2022/05/23/dwayne-haskins-autopsy-report-reveals-qb-had-24-bac-at-time-of-death/