Police blast copyrighted music at 11pm to keep their shit off Youtube.

Beau Vine

<RAGE>

The night’s soundtrack started with “You’ve Got a Friend in Me” from “Toy Story,” then moved to a more recent favorite, “We Don’t Talk About Bruno” from “Encanto,” before the sentimental “Reflection” from “Mulan.”

It was around 11 p.m. on April 4 on a residential street in Santa Ana, Calif. — and the Disney songs blared from a police cruiser, according to a YouTube video and news reports. Police had been investigating a stolen vehicle, an officer explains in the video. But after “Un Poco Loco” from Disney’s 2017 movie “Coco” started blasting through the neighborhood, residents began asking questions.

“What’s the music for?” a woman can be heard asking in the video, explaining that she needed to sleep.

Seconds after the music appears to abruptly turn off, a Santa Ana city councilman, Johnathan Hernandez, also asked: “What’s going on with the music here?”

The officer replied it had to do with “copyright infringement” as he pointed toward the man filming the video. Hernandez took that to mean the officer was trying to keep the video off social media.

“I’m embarrassed that this is how you’re treating my neighbors,” Hernandez said in the video. “There’s children here.”

Eventually, the officer apologized.

Santa Ana Chief of Police David Valentin said in a statement that the department is investigating the incident. “My expectation is that all police department employees perform their duties with dignity and respect in the community we are hired to serve,” he said.

Police in other cities have been recorded playing copyrighted music in an effort to prevent videos of them from hitting YouTube and other social media sites, which can remove content containing unauthorized materials. In June, a sheriff’s deputy in Oakland, Calif., played Taylor Swift’s 2014 single “Blank Space” as activists filmed him in an attempt to keep it from being uploaded to YouTube. Instead, the clip remained online and went viral.

An officer played a Taylor Swift song to keep his recording off YouTube. Instead it went viral.

As of Tuesday, the video from Santa Ana was still posted to YouTube, where it had more than 45,000 views.

Hernandez told The Post he plans to introduce a ban on the practice during an upcoming city council session. He questioned why other police officers at the scene did not stop the music.

“If you work for the public and there are numerous people out recording you telling you to please turn it off, why wouldn’t anyone in their right mind stop that?” he said.

The video was uploaded to the Santa Ana Audits YouTube channel, which appears to film police interactions to ensure people’s constitutional rights are respected. The man shooting the April 4 video does not identify himself and did not immediately respond to a request for comment through his channel. He began filming police officers from a distance as they appeared to search a car parked in a driveway, the video shows.

Then Randy Newman’s “You’ve Got a Friend In Me” began to play, and the cameraman walked across the street and confronted the officers.

“You guys get paid to listen to music?” he asked.

Hernandez heard the “Toy Story” music from his house around the corner and went to see what was happening, he told The Post. The councilman said he was already on edge, thinking that police were dealing with a person undergoing a mental health crisis. In September, Hernandez noted, Anaheim police fatally shot his cousin, Brandon Lopez, who was unarmed and in crisis.

As he approached the scene, Hernandez saw children standing outside and neighbors recording with their phones. Hernandez confronted the officer and asked why he was playing the loud Disney music, which appeared to be coming from the police cruiser’s PA system, Hernandez told The Post.

The officer told Hernandez that the man filming the video was interfering with their investigation, according to the video.

“Why are you playing Disney music?” Hernandez asked.

After the officer cited copyright infringement, Hernandez said he believed police were “trolling” the man filming the video.

“Do you live here?” Hernandez asked.

“No, I don’t, sir,” the officer replied.

“Well, maybe you should treat us with respect,” Hernandez said, adding that there were children who needed to rest before school and adults who needed to sleep before work.

The councilman then told the officer that playing the Disney music was “childish.”

“I apologize,” the officer replied.

Hernandez told The Post that residents later said they were afraid and confused by the police officers’ behavior.

“I think it’s very disrespectful,” one resident told KTLA. “We have to wake up pretty early.”

Hernandez said he found it ironic that police in this instance played music from the Disney movies “Encanto” and “Coco” in a predominantly Latino neighborhood.

“Those were films that were used to bridge the Latino community,” he said, “and police are using them to silence it.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/04/12/santa-ana-police-disney-music/

The cops are going to get Disney, music labels and artists all publicly announce that they won't pursue challenges against anyone that posts the data to social media.

Possibly the person filming can't monetize the video but honesty, I'm unsure whether they should or not. Might have to think about that more.

How is the police using copyrighted material in such a way not a violation of copyright?  It would be one thing to have your music turned up at a party, but it seems that this use of the music is not similar.

Also, how many parties have those cops busted up for loud music?  This seems rather hypocritical to me.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Scheiss Meister said:

How is the police using copyrighted material in such a way not a violation of copyright?  It would be one thing to have your music turned up at a party, but it seems that this use of the music is not similar.

Also, how many parties have those cops busted up for loud music?  This seems rather hypocritical to me.

Cops don't normally post their body cam videos to social media.

3 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

not sure what you are asking. youtube has algorithms to identify copyrighted music as people upload videos. the police are blaring copyrighted music to keep people from uploading their abuses on youtube. 

• Hook 'Em 1

If they are playing the music through their PA system, they are broadcasting the music.  Pretty sure you need permission to broadcast copyrighted works.

Edit:  maybe not the legal definition of broadcasting.  I'm not entirely sure

Edited by bernorange
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, bernorange said:

If they are playing the music through their PA system, they are broadcasting the music.  Pretty sure you need permission to broadcast copyrighted works.

the police don't give a fuck about permission. is disney going to send a C&D letter to every police station across america? and what happens when the police do not comply? is disney going to sue the PDs? if Disney gets them to stop using Disney songs, they just start playing other songs. youtube doesn't care if the copyright is Disney songs or some other song. is the song copyrighted? yes? then youtube algo will flag the video to be either not uploaded or taken down if already uploaded.

15 minutes ago, bernorange said:

This is what I was clumsily asking.

Remember a police car broadcasting blues music back in Chicago around 1980 .  I don’t think they had licensing permission but then again they were not driving around shooting Black people

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Remember a police car broadcasting blues music back in Chicago around 1980 .  I don’t think they had licensing permission but then again they were not driving around shooting Black people

I dunno if I completely recall what you're talking about.  I probably oughta run this report through SCMODS to be sure.

re copyright music and youtube. i think you can post copyrighted music on youtube if choose not to monetize the video, meaning you cannot get any ad revenue from youtube for those videos. if you choose to monetize the video, then youtube will prevent the upload or remove it if it's already uploaded. not sure if twitter has the same rules.

1 hour ago, bernorange said:

They probably get around that because of QI.  

23 minutes ago, Lobo said:

they were playing music with black people and some of them were royalty.  There was the Godfather of Soul, the Queen of Soul, John Lee Hooker, Cab Calloway, Ray Charles, Chaka Khan.  They also had one white princess.

Edited by TexasEd

4 hours ago, crash_davis said:

not sure what you are asking. youtube has algorithms to identify copyrighted music as people upload videos. the police are blaring copyrighted music to keep people from uploading their abuses on youtube. 

Actually, I'm not sure how often youtube does that of their own volition.  Record companies do have algos that crawl for copyright material and they file DMCA takedown notices.  Youtube may have undertaken some of its own efforts, particularly with monetized "channels" due to pressure from RIA or similar.

And yes, the cops broadcasting the music is a public performance that should require a license and is an infringement.  However, as an arm of the government, I don't think they're exempted, but instead of infringement per se, it becomes a constitutional "taking" case, and they are a pain in the ass, so that may deter copyright holders from taking action.

Edited by TwiceHorn

46 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Actually, I'm not sure how often youtube does that of their own volition.  Record companies do have algos that crawl for copyright material and they file DMCA takedown notices.  Youtube may have undertaken some of its own efforts, particularly with monetized "channels" due to pressure from RIA or similar.

i tried posting a video of a family function with a copyrighted song. it wasn't even a popular song, just an obscure electronic song. youtube immediately flagged it as copyright infraction and wouldn't post the video. 

i then changed the video to private and unmonetized and it uploaded.

so yes youtube has algorithms that scan the audio for songs and flags them if they are copyrighted.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

He’s actually right.  Educate yourself.  Unless you really believe in the war on drugs.  Lulz

Sounds a lot like the "do your research!" crowd

Police are fucked and clearly need reform, but what he posted was nonsense. 

Edited by StruggleBus

1 minute ago, StruggleBus said:

Police are fucked and clearly need reform, but what he posted was hyperbolic nonsense. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/investigations/police-shootings-database/

Name any other U. S. gang that has more of a body count.  Cops need more that reforms; they need a complete purge.   It will never happen but it should. 

6 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Not really.  No greater pieces of shit have walked the earth than those who profess to be holier than thou, while shooting his fellow man in the back.  That’s the police for ya…

Edited by ChiTownDoc
shooting, not stabbing
  • Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

They kill people, they rob people, they don’t face consequences. I’m not sure what you took exception with. 

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, in this era, when you think the popo might be watching their ps and qs so as to avoid repercussions, they continue to make at best highly tone deaf decisions that reflect poorly on their ability to regulate themselves.

the whole premise of watching their ps and qs is predicated on the assumption that they want to better themselves and their imagine. they simply do not give a fuck about bettering themselves, their relationship to the community, and their image. they are an armed gang empowered by the law and enabled by dickless DAs and mayors who mostly look the other way at their blatant transgressions. why the fuck should they remotely care about changing how they do things when they have no incentive to do so? 

• Hook 'Em 1

fire that asshole.  Then arrest him for disturbing the peace, public nuisance, whatever.

Citizens should be filming cops. You don't want to be filmed, don't be a cop. Why is this so hard?

You missed it. If they are not doing anything wrong they they shouldn’t mind our video cameras.