Orange White Spring Game, Sat. April 23rd (Gates Open 4pm. Game starts 6pm)

LTtxfan

12 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Did Johnathan Brooks get carries?  Didn’t watch but recorded it for tomorrow, doesn’t sound like it from what I’ve read so far. 

Brooks had at least  or 2 carries. Hard to tell when so many plays weren't televised.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

the game was a glorified practice. sark and the coaching staff know that people want touchdowns. everything was very vanilla. the D looked to be going through the motions. some of the players looked to be going through the motions. i think they wanted to get out of the game without any major injuries. you would be a fool to estimate the season record from the "game". 

for example, on Rojos long TD run. was that a great run by Rojo or bad tackling by the D? which makes you feel better? I think the D was actually trying at that time. zero sum is a twisted bitch.

• Hook 'Em 2

I had this all set to record on the the LHN HD channel on Dish. Apparently, Dish decided not to broadcast the game in HD after all because I just sat down about 20 minutes ago to watch it and it wasn't on my DVR. So I went to the LHN and saw the replay had just began on the SD channel...with a score of 3 to 4.  15 plays later and the game was over.  So they only played 10 minutes????

4 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

Man the ball just flies out of Ewers' hand. 

That's what I thought watching at the stadium (wasn't sure how it looked on TV).  Has a lot of zip on the ball without much wind up.  Seems to have good velocity even when off balance or running.  

39 minutes ago, Burt said:

I had this all set to record on the the LHN HD channel on Dish. Apparently, Dish decided not to broadcast the game in HD after all because I just sat down about 20 minutes ago to watch it and it wasn't on my DVR. So I went to the LHN and saw the replay had just began on the SD channel...with a score of 3 to 4.  15 plays later and the game was over.  So they only played 10 minutes????

No. You need the hour before the 3-4 score update. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Irieguy said:

No. You need the hour before the 3-4 score update. 

Yes, he needs the previous hour to get fully frustrated by the putrid excuse of a broadcast. @Burt I don’t think I’m exaggerating to claim at least half the plays weren’t shown. They literally began to show the opening kickoff, only to break for commercial (including some of those non-revenue generating “What Starts Here” bullshit spots), then missed complete drives. They did interview McConaughey… twice. A Walter Cronkite spot covered up much of the action, because he’s happening right now. 

Edited by Vito Andolini
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

It was in HD on Dish. Watched the shitshow LHN put on live and have it DVRd in HD.

8 hours ago, Burt said:

It’s rumored they actually played more but the ones that went to the game will forever know the truth.     People that watched on LHN know that Walter Cronkite is a longhorn legend and that Winstar needs to burn to the ground.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Does Galindo stand 3 feet away from the mike and yell at it all the time?  For those of us older fans we've gone from "Get that idiot off the goalpost."  to "Tell us about the Moody Center....again!"  From intelligent dry wit to knob slobbering inanity. 

Did anyone else catch Griff talking about Card's throwing motion leading to flatter arcs on the deep balls, not giving the receivers that cushion to run under?  Something about always ending up on his tiptoes at the end of those long throws.   Griff had said Sark had seen this and pointed it out at some point.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

You can 

2 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

For all of yall complaining about the LHN coverage…. Yall have no idea how bad the actual game was “structured.” It was easily the worst produced spring game ive ever been to (havent missed on in 16 years).

l’m sure it was.  Still no excuse for LHN missing half the action that was there just to run Cronkite spots.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

45 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

Making season predictions based on one glorified/televised practice?

Never change, Surly.

If you couldn’t see the fundamentals problems with these guys then idk what to tell you. The team lacks depth at positions that are filled with good/elite players and the ones that don’t are JAG who gives a fuck deep. It was bad. The defense looks very very bad. The offense with 1 or 2 injuries is absolute dogshit. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 4/12/2022 at 9:22 PM, Hookem2147 said:

DL gets a sack=Worst OL in the Big 12

WR catches a pass=same ole shit from PK

LB makes a tackle=He just knows our offensive plays. Not anything special 

Card completes a pass= @BurntOrange&White cries and says it was lucky!!!!

Ewers completes simple pas= It’s starting to click, game is slowing down

One missed assignment= time to get someone from the portal

Guy buried on depth chart makes play going against the walk on= why isn’t this guy playing more?! Same ole stubborn coaches we always get here 

Feel few to add any I missed 

I think we hit most of these.

Good work fellas.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, immamac said:

If you couldn’t see the fundamentals problems with these guys then idk what to tell you. The team lacks depth at positions that are filled with good/elite players and the ones that don’t are JAG who gives a fuck deep. It was bad. The defense looks very very bad. The offense with 1 or 2 injuries is absolute dogshit. 

I saw better fundamentals than at any point last year, especially the first team defense defending the run and receivers getting into their routes better. All spring game caveats apply but it was a relatively clean game and the positions we thought we were deep at showed well and the positions that need a transfer or two still need a transfer or two.

Considering we held out our best RB, best LB and best OT (low bar I know), it was a fine spring game. 

If you thought we were gonna blow ass nothing you could have saw yesterday was going to change that and likewise if you were drinking the kool aid nothing you saw yesterday was going to make you put it down.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, immamac said:

If you're putting ANY stock in what you saw on Saturday as to what this team will look like in the fall or during the season, I don't know what to tell you either.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Hook'Em0608 said:

I feel like people are being overly negative because they don’t want to get hurt again....

Plenty of this.  For many admittedly.  Many of the ones high on the horns last preseason are many of the same ones down on them this time around. 

I  remember coming in here after a closed scrimmage, after many were riding high on the team after the summer,  stating that what i saw that August, especially the offense, was not good and needed a lot of work. It was dismissed until after Arkansas when many changed their tune. 

I can say this confidently.  What i saw yesterday was much MUCH better than what i saw last August.  What that means this season, not sure.  I hear the rest of the B12 is down. 

Sark's number one qualification for a QB is protecting the ball.  Card at this point does that better.  Sark's number two qualification is deliver the ball down field.  Quinn far and away does that better.  It will be interesting to see what Sark will choose but my bet is Card starts with a short leash and then Quinn comes in and quickly takes over and his flash/momentum excuse all the rookie errors.  

RB's look good 1-4.

Whittington Neyor and Worthy look good.  (Washington, Dixon and Harrison don't.)

JT looks good. Gunnar is serviceable.

oLine was serviceable.  Sark has stated, recently, he is expecting freshman to come in and play.  I hope they are that good. 

Dline looked slow early and better late.

LB's are not that much better. JB still sucks.  It was his gap that Roschon ran the long play for.  Granted the freshman DB also let him escape from his tackle.

Again, we didn't look great yesterday but we look way better than last August.  I could easily see 8 or 9 wins.  If they grow up in a hurry they could be a really good team by the end of the season.  Is it likely no, but very possible.  Again, I'm not as down as i was last season.  Oh and I'd go with Quinn asap.  Like game 1 mid first quarter.  We'll see.           

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

It will be interesting to see what Sark will choose but my bet is Card starts with a short leash and then Quinn comes in and quickly takes over and his flash/momentum excuse all the rookie errors. 

What would be the point of this? Ewers has been practicing here for about a month and already looks better. Card still looks like a really talented guy with zero feel for the game. 

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

What would be the point of this? Ewers has been practicing here for about a month and already looks better. Card still looks like a really talented guy with zero feel for the game. 

I'm not saying it is a good reason only that it is the reason.  So Card doesn't portal as he is our best only backup.  

Edited by RollLeft

43 minutes ago, immamac said:

So, Im not saying “show me a loss” but I have no idea how you concluded that much from watching that scrimmage. For sure the second team OL is a fucking mess but I’m not sure what else to take away other than watching individual players. 

For sure I hope they process a few of the dead weight OL and try to get a grad transfer or two to bridge the gap until all of these freshman can be in the two deep. 

Edited by Newy25
  • Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

I'm not saying it is a good reason only that it is the reason.  So Card doesn't portal as he is our best only backup.  

I'm not trying to be argumentative. But.... you think we will name Card the starter during fall camp so that he doesn't portal?

8 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Reminds me of that one year where Mack started Mock over VY. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

I'm not trying to be argumentative. But.... you think we will name Card the starter during fall camp so that he doesn't portal?

No.  What i'm saying is that Sark's play is most likely to not name any starter and will give Card every reason to believe he will start.  He will continue to give both as many reps as possible.  No one here is higher on Quinn than I.  He is the future.  That said even after yesterday, he still needs to learn to minimize turnovers.  For that and securing a backup it is probable that in Sark's mind Card should still lead.    

25 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Some random observations based on rewatching the scrimmage a couple of times.

1. I spent a fair amount of time watching Cole Hutson. I wouldn't be surprised if he grades out as one of the top linemen from yesterday, he belongs. He can always stand to be stronger but he is going to play next year.

2. When Jett Bush is on the field, nothing good happens. We must find another LB over the summer. Devin Richardson is barely ok. 

3. Coburn has officially been passed by Murphy and it's not even close.

4. Neyor is as advertised. Him, Jwhit, and Worthy on the field together is nasty.

5. Terrence Brooks missed some head scratching tackles, but he was always in the right place and had some nice coverage.

6. Kitan Crawford looks like a Sunday player at safety, but our second best safety may be BJ Allen.

7. Sorrell did all of his damage against a walk on tackle, when he lined up against a scholarship guy he disappeared.

8. Dajon Harrison is likely going to be nudged/thrown violently into the portal.

9. Marcus Washington is what he is. If he sees extended targets this year then something went terribly wrong.

10. Finkley was up and down. Made some disruptive plays but also gut buried a few times by C. Jones.

11. C Jones looks much better at right tackle then left, even in pass pro.

12. Jonathan Brooks is going to be a star after this season.

13. Card moves the offense really well provided he is able to stay on script. If he is on time, then he looks pretty good, but when something happens he falls apart. 

14. Ewers is much more natural and decisive in the face of pressure, but some of those decisions may not always be right. The amount of velocity he gets from those arm angles is insane, to the extent that he needs a bit more touch on some shorter throws. Had he done that he would have completed 4 or 5 more passes yesterday. And yes, his downfield throws are amazing. 
15. For all of the talk about Ovie this spring, he was non existent yesterday. 

16. JT Sanders is going to be a difference maker.

17. Billingsley looked like he was loafing initially, but on further review I think he was expecting quick whistles on some of his catches after contact that he didn't get.

18. I know our starting receivers are really good, but they were open far too often in man coverage. Jerrin Thompson was abused all day.

19. By and large the starting linebackers look improved, but there is nothing behind them.

20. If Auburn wins the kicking job next year then we better hope we dont have to rely on him to hit a game winner. Even his makes looked shaky.

I think we have a scholarship kicker coming so Auburn will likely be backup.

25 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

1. I spent a fair amount of time watching Cole Hutson. I wouldn't be surprised if he grades out as one of the top linemen from yesterday, he belongs. He can always stand to be stronger but he is going to play next year.

2. When Jett Bush is on the field, nothing good happens. We must find another LB over the summer. Devin Richardson is barely ok. 

4. Neyor is as advertised. Him, Jwhit, and Worthy on the field together is nasty.

5. Terrence Brooks missed some head scratching tackles, but he was always in the right place and had some nice coverage.

6. Kitan Crawford looks like a Sunday player at safety, but our second best safety may be BJ Allen.

7. Sorrell did all of his damage against a walk on tackle, when he lined up against a scholarship guy he disappeared.

8. Dajon Harrison is likely going to be nudged/thrown violently into the portal.

9. Marcus Washington is what he is. If he sees extended targets this year then something went terribly wrong.

10. Finkley was up and down. Made some disruptive plays but also gut buried a few times by C. Jones.

13. Card moves the offense really well provided he is able to stay on script. If he is on time, then he looks pretty good, but when something happens he falls apart. 

14. Ewers is much more natural and decisive in the face of pressure, but some of those decisions may not always be right. The amount of velocity he gets from those arm angles is insane, to the extent that he needs a bit more touch on some shorter throws. Had he done that he would have completed 4 or 5 more passes yesterday. And yes, his downfield throws are amazing. 

17. Billingsley looked like he was loafing initially, but on further review I think he was expecting quick whistles on some of his catches after contact that he didn't get.

18. I know our starting receivers are really good, but they were open far too often in man coverage. Jerrin Thompson was abused all day.

19. By and large the starting linebackers look improved, but there is nothing behind them.

20. If Auburn wins the kicking job next year then we better hope we dont have to rely on him to hit a game winner. Even his makes looked shaky.

Good shit, I think all your points are spot on from my impressions

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I didn’t get a chance to watch, but very happy about the Crawford review. I think he is a necessity back there. Without him Texas is just flat out slow at Safety.