All time Lakers team vs All time all NBA team

closetohumping

Could the Lakers actually win?

PG - Magic

SG - Kobe

SF - Lebron

PF - Kareem

C- Shaq

Bench- Jerry, Wilt, Elgin, Worthy, Mikan, Goodrich, Rambis (need a guy to foul the other team)

Non - Lakers

PG - Roberston

SG - MJ

SF - Bird

PF - Duncan

C- Russell

Bench - Hakeem, Malone, KD (I've seen him in some top 15s already), Stockton,  Steph, Giannis,Robinson

Actually think the Non-Lakers team and obviously you would have a much larger pool to draw from.  

Only chance the Lakers have if it's like 5 on 5 pick up style to 21 or something. If it's NBA rules and a 7 game series I don't think they have the bench and not sure their starting 5 is better anyway. 

Also don't see Kareem and Shaq working - because if I'm the all time team I start Curry or Chris Paul over ORob and bench one of Russell or Duncan and start KD. Or throw Ben Wallace out there and let him try and take Shaq out of the game. Lakers maybe start Pau or AD next to Shaq. Or someone like Lamar Odom (or Worthy).

Magic/Kobe/LeBron is just filthy though. Why I say if it's like 2k blacktop style they'd have a chance.

Also I'd take KG over Malone or DRob. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i'll also point out that this version of LBJ, while still prolific stats wise, is nowhere near prime LBJ. 

This is my other question... do the Lakers get these guys at their peaks or how they were with the Lakers? I guess it doesn't matter for most of them. 

26 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Only chance the Lakers have if it's like 5 on 5 pick up style to 21 or something. If it's NBA rules and a 7 game series I don't think they have the bench and not sure their starting 5 is better anyway. 

Also don't see Kareem and Shaq working - because if I'm the all time team I start Curry or Chris Paul over ORob and bench one of Russell or Duncan and start KD. Or throw Ben Wallace out there and let him try and take Shaq out of the game. Lakers maybe start Pau or AD next to Shaq. Or someone like Lamar Odom (or Worthy).

Magic/Kobe/LeBron is just filthy though. Why I say if it's like 2k blacktop style they'd have a chance.

Also I'd take KG over Malone or DRob. 

Just noticed that my Laker team can probably be out quicked by the right lineup.

25 minutes ago, Upgrayedd said:

Kareem at pf.  Lulz

OR put him at the 5 and Shaq/Wilt at the 4?  It's ok to go twin towers.

21 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Gonna be crowded in the paint on offense.

Yep

16 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Michael, Larry, KD, and Steph all on one team is too much scoring for any team to overcome. 

i'll also point out that this version of LBJ, while still prolific stats wise, is nowhere near prime LBJ. 

MJ vs Kobe

Bird vs Bron

KD vs Kareem? 

Steph vs Magic

I'd think Kareem and Magic would be worn down by their counterparts.

12 minutes ago, ztejas said:

This is my other question... do the Lakers get these guys at their peaks or how they were with the Lakers? I guess it doesn't matter for most of them. 

For this exercise, let's call it the Lakers version of these guys.  

I wonder how a team that’s MJ, three elite 3&D wings (including KD), and a post who can shoot threes to space the floor and protect the rim (Jokic?) would look 

Something like MJ, Kawhi, Paul George (elite at catch and shoot threes), KD, and Jokic would potentially be elite both offensively and defensively

9 minutes ago, Fud said:

I wonder how a team that’s MJ, three elite 3&D wings (including KD), and a post who can shoot threes to space the floor and protect the rim (Jokic?) would look 

Something like MJ, Kawhi, Paul George (elite at catch and shoot threes), KD, and Jokic would potentially be elite both offensively and defensively

Jokic is awesome but Shaq or Kareem would eat his ass alive. 

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Jokic is awesome but Shaq or Kareem would eat his ass alive. 

Shaq would offensively in one on one, but this defense offers a lot of schematic possibilities, plus then Shaq has to try and guard him

I am stunned this board thinks the non-Laker team would whoop the Lakers. Alrighty then.  If we are talking these players at their peak while being a Laker, the Lakers have arguably the 3 best big men of all-time, the best point guard, a top 5 SG (I put Kobe higher than top 5, but will concede for argument sake), a top 2 PF, and a bench that has West, Baylor, and Wilt?  Puh-lease.

• Hook 'Em 1

I mean, if it’s the lakers version of the players it’s the non lakers. But if it’s the peak version of anyone that played for the lakers then give me the Lakers. 
Magic, Kobe LBJ, Wilt and Kareem are all, no doubt about it, top 8 players of all time. 
Then you get a top 10 player in Shaq, a top 20 player in Malone, a top 50 player in Gary Peyton, Jerry West is only the freaking logo, James Worthy etc. how many guys you think you are playing in a  best of 7 series?  If you are going more than 8 or 9 you are doing it wrong. 

My starting lineup is Wilt, Mailman, LBJ, Kobe and Magic. 
My rotational backups are glove, West, Worthy and Kareem. Shaq doesn’t play for me and that’s with me thinking he’s awesome. Worthy probably plays 18 minutes tops- prime LBJ needs 40 minutes- he can give me 30 at the 3 and 10 at the 4 when Malone sits down. I know this is probably heresy but I might have a quick trigger on Magic vs Glove based upon how much the other PG is trying to score.  Magics  playmaking isn’t as necessary with Kobe, LBJ and Wilt. 
mid it’s not prime version of guys then I will take the non Lakers nba guys in a walk. 
too weak at the 3 and 4. Too much wasted talent at the 5. You just can’t play them together. 
not enough shooting in the backcourt. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Fud said:

replace PG with Pippen. you don't even need any more scoring with the other four guys, and you can put Pippen on Kobe and make Kobe be Bad Kobe. 

let's also remember that MJ himself is among the handful of greatest perimeter defenders ever. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Like 1

Just now, shadow_operative said:

replace PG with Pippen or Rodman or someone like that. you don't even need any more scoring eith the other four guys, and you can put Pippen on Kobe and make Kobe be Bad Kobe. 

I thought about Pippen but I figured George is a better option for catch and shoot threes. Also thought about Bird and Klay 

Don't think anybody takes down an MJ-led group of all-timers in a seven-game series ... and I don't even like Jordan.

Also, guys like Shaq, LeBron, the Glove, the Mailman, etc. should be included in the non-Laker roster (i.e., they qualify for both). And--as others have noted--the Lakers shouldn't be able to use them (other than Shaq) at their peak because they weren't in their prime when they played for L.A.

So in the end, the non-Lakers win easy. But it's still an interesting topic.

2 hours ago, Fud said:

Shaq would offensively in one on one, but this defense offers a lot of schematic possibilities, plus then Shaq has to try and guard him

Defense at the 5 for the team that doesn't have Shaq is much more important. As much fun as Jokic is they don't need additional scoring/shooting - they already have the two most unguardable wings in NBA history and can always have shooting at the 1 and 3/4.

Not saying your lineup isn't good or wouldn't work - I just don't think you need to overthink it. 

27 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Don't think anybody takes down an MJ-led group of all-timers in a seven-game series ... and I don't even like Jordan.

Also, guys like Shaq, LeBron, the Glove, the Mailman, etc. should be included in the non-Laker roster (i.e., they qualify for both). And--as others have noted--the Lakers shouldn't be able to use them (other than Shaq) at their peak because they weren't in their prime when they played for L.A.

So in the end, the non-Lakers win easy. But it's still an interesting topic.

I didn’t put it in the OP but let’s talk prime. Shaqs prime was with the lakers. But I think if we place Lebron on the non-Lakers it’s probably over

• Hook 'Em 1

These arguments are always moot if you don’t define what year the rules are in place and if players are peak or not. 

That said an all time Lakers team would have enough top ten greats to win it peak or not. 

And I hate the Lakers lol