The Twitter Debate

Neonmoon

2 hours ago, Blotto said:

I dont disagree with your prediction that he will fuck up twitter, but I'm struggling too see how that would take down Tesla.  Tesla has established itself as a viable, although wildly overvalued, manufacturer. Maybe it fucks with the TSLA  price a bit, and he might have to sell more, etc... but Tesla isnt going anywhere. 

Twitter even down 30% or whatever is still overvalued and there is room to drop, in my opinon.

Heard on the radio this morning (at least I think I did, maybe I misheard) that if the twitter deal falls through, musky is still on the hook for 1 bil. Not sure why or how that works, but lofuckingl if true.

edit: also heard something about another Tesla recall a few days ago. Again, I don't remember the details. Hard to focus on radio when wife and 11 yr old won't shut up as I'm driving them to work/school. 

Edited by High Plains Drifter

6 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Elon needs to STFU and focus on Tesla and SpaceX.  You know, the actual good things he has his fingerprints on.  

Business version of Shut up and dribble?

38 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Heard on the radio this morning (at least I think I did, maybe I misheard) that if the twitter deal falls through, musky is still on the hook for 1 bil. Not sure why or how that works, but lofuckingl if true.

edit: also heard something about another Tesla recall a few days ago. Again, I don't remember the details. Hard to focus on radio when wife and 11 yr old won't shut up as I'm driving them to work/school. 

the buyout agreement is a contract and there's a contractual backout clause available to elon under certain circumstances in which he can pay $1 billion to back out of the deal.  those circumstances may or may not be available to him so twitter might be able to sue him for the whole shebang. 

10 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Elon needs to STFU and focus on Tesla and SpaceX.  You know, the actual good things he has his fingerprints on.  

SpaceX is cool, but Tesla is going to get lapped very soon by the legacy automakers and the new brands that are popping up. They've failed to adequately fix their rampant quality control issues and it doesn't look like it'll get any better.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brian Fantana said:

SpaceX is cool, but Tesla is going to get lapped very soon by the legacy automakers and the new brands that are popping up. They've failed to adequately fix their rampant quality control issues and it doesn't look like it'll get any better.

I do think Ford is going to be the big dog when all is said and done.  I view Tesla as forcing their hand though.  I own a Model 3 and it's fucking great, but big auto is catching up.  The best thing Tesla did is pave the way for OTA software updates.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I do think Ford is going to be the big dog when all is said and done.  I view Tesla as forcing their hand though.  I own a Model 3 and it's fucking great, but big auto is catching up.  The best thing Tesla did is pave the way for OTA software updates.

Yeah, I'm a fan of OTA software updates, as long as there's no way to brick the head unit by doing so, and as long as we don't start offering dumbass subscription services for features that should be standard.

Ford's definitely going to be the big dog, and soon. The Lightning is the first big shot fired across the bow, it's going to be a slam dunk for them.

13 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Ford's definitely going to be the big dog, and soon. The Lightning is the first big shot fired across the bow, it's going to be a slam dunk for them.

Tesla fucked this up royally.  They could have been a player in the truck space with Ford.  Instead, Elon went Elon.

1 hour ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I don't want to bog this down too much, but this "recall" is being fixed by an OTA update, like most of them. I get the point about quality, but all recalls are not created equal.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

Tesla fucked this up royally.  They could have been a player in the truck space with Ford.  Instead, Elon went Elon.

For sure, and I think the main reason is it's going to be popular among blue collar tradesman types who might normally turn their nose up at an electric vehicle. My best friend is an electrician and he says the potential for the truck to be a mobile power bank at job sites alone is a game changer for him.

24 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

For sure, and I think the main reason is it's going to be popular among blue collar tradesman types who might normally turn their nose up at an electric vehicle. My best friend is an electrician and he says the potential for the truck to be a mobile power bank at job sites alone is a game changer for him.

Ok, last Tesla reply in the Twitter thread, but before the cybertruck was unveiled, fan concepts were floating around and I thought something like this would've been pretty awesome.

tesla-pickup-model-p-concept-promo.jpg

7 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

Yeah and maybe make it not an ugly piece of shit while they're at it!

I feel like you're implying the new Bronco is ugly, and if that's the case, I don't care much for your taste in Broncos.

I think some y'all wouldn't be happy unless they took the original Bronco design and just re-released it as-is.

Maybe I'm just easily pleased that it actually looks capable of driving over a rock and they didn't go the Chevy route and turn it into a soccer mom crossover like the new Blazer namesake or like Jeep has with the Cherokee.

Edited by Tom

16 minutes ago, Tom said:

I think some y'all wouldn't be happy unless they took the original Bronco design and just re-released it as-is.

Maybe I'm just easily pleased that it actually looks capable of driving over a rock and they didn't go the Chevy route and turn it into a soccer mom crossover like the new Blazer namesake or like Jeep has with the Cherokee.

I was expecting this and not a Jeep knock off.

2017-Ford-Bronco-Black.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, F250 said:

I was expecting this and not a Jeep knock off.

2017-Ford-Bronco-Black.jpg

I'm not hating on it, you do you, but the original Ford Broncos were also Jeep knockoffs targeting the same demographic, FWIW.  What they came out with is entirely in line with the Bronco's heritage. 

1933086-L2hvbWUvZGVhbGVycy9hc3NldHMvMTQ1MS9pbWFnZXMvMTkzMzA4Ni0xOTY2X2ZvcmRfYnJvbmNvX3Jlc2VhcmNoaGlzdG9yeWF0am9lY290dG9uZm9yZGNhcm9sc3RyZWFtLmpwZw==

1966 Ford Bronco Brochure - Joe Cotton Ford Bronco History

bronco_24dr_01.jpg

39 minutes ago, Tom said:

I'm not hating on it, you do you, but the original Ford Broncos were also Jeep knockoffs targeting the same demographic, FWIW.  What they came out with is entirely in line with the Bronco's heritage. 

1933086-L2hvbWUvZGVhbGVycy9hc3NldHMvMTQ1MS9pbWFnZXMvMTkzMzA4Ni0xOTY2X2ZvcmRfYnJvbmNvX3Jlc2VhcmNoaGlzdG9yeWF0am9lY290dG9uZm9yZGNhcm9sc3RyZWFtLmpwZw==

1966 Ford Bronco Brochure - Joe Cotton Ford Bronco History

bronco_24dr_01.jpg

I am aware of this but those are before my time. My attachment to the Bronco was formed in the 80's so I was disappointed that the new Bronco doesn''t resemble the later models. I read that there isn't a market for the big SUV vehicles anymore and the main competition for off road vehicles these days is Jeep. So I get it but I am still disappointed.

On 5/13/2022 at 6:48 AM, HenryJames said:

No wai!

Well I can tell you that fake accounts are still signing up to follow Traces of Texas, but I think the pace has slowed the last few days.

Part of Twitter's valuation certainly comes from the number of users it has, so there's hardly incentive for them to look too hard at who's signing up.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Part of Twitter's valuation certainly comes from the number of users it has, so there's hardly incentive for them to look too hard at who's signing up.

A long time ago I was an advisor at a software company in Austin that was trying to move into the security space. I would show up once a month to hear their ideas and plans then give them some feedback. Well, this one time I happened to be there when a team was showing the stats for a new website they developed for a customer. It was some marketing website and they were reviewing the metrics regarding site visitors.

The numbers looked pretty good then someone immediately asks "are these unique clicks? Can we get some more details?" The owner jumps in "whoa whoa, I don't think we need to get into the weeds. Our customer is happy with the metrics so let's just move on." lulz