Character Actors Mt Rushmore

Augustus

Have we done a thread like this?

Studio musicians are often way more talented than the bands/musicians they sit in with, perhaps not as composers but just when it comes to their proficiency with their instruments.

I can't count the number of movies/tv shows I've seen in which the supporting cast/character actors were clearly more talented than A-listers.  I'd love to hear who some of your favorites are, whom you've been most impressed by, because I know a lot of you will name people I wouldn't think of, but would be great answers.

Any time I think of a great character actor, the first name that comes to mind is Stephen Root.  The guys has no limits.

Do guys like Chris Cooper or Walton Goggins still count?  They've had more prominent/featured roles, so I don't know.  But they're both geniuses.

Paul Giamatti.

My choices are all pretty obvious. Give me some more.

My gf and I recently binged through Boardwalk Empire, and Michael Shannon's performance was great early on, but transitioned to one of the best comedic performances I've seen after he murdered his partner and moved to Chicago to work for the Irish mob and then the outfit.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, kingkoopa6 said:

i think it means. great actors that dont get the limelight and awards that leads get

am i right?

I don’t know. What about great actors with range, who don’t just play themselves most of the time? Like Claude Rains or Philip Seymour Hoffman. Or Robin Williams. Or John Lithgow. How do we categorize them?

30 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The other thread had great lead actors like Daniel day Lewis and Gary oldman. 

this one is more supporting or bit part actors. 

I can see Daniel Day Lewis acting. I never get lost in the character. I know that’s an unpopular opinion and I’m supposed to think he’s great because everyone else does. But all I see is Daniel Day Lewis trying too hard and hamming it up. Look at me! I’m acting!

I don’t know what this thread is about. I didn’t start it and the OP didn’t specify. But in terms of bit parts and supporting roles, how about Alan Hale?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I don’t know. What about great actors with range, who don’t just play themselves most of the time? Like Claude Rains or Philip Seymour Hoffman. Or Robin Williams. Or John Lithgow. How do we categorize them?

Robin Williams played himself in every single movie. He was a subdued Robin Williams in Good Will Hunting, but he was still Robin Williams.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Robin Williams played himself in every single movie. He was a subdued Robin Williams in Good Will Hunting, but he was still Robin Williams.

Did he play himself in both The Birdcage and in Moscow on the Hudson? How about in The World According to Garp and Dead Poets Society? Mrs. Doubtfire?  One Hour Photo? Insomnia?

Come on, man.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Maybe someone would be kind enough to elucidate for me the difference between an actor and a character actor?

there is an actual dictionary definition: an actor who specializes in playing eccentric or unusual people rather than leading roles.

so i take back my DDL endorsement (other thread) as he is clearly a leading man...but i sustain my PSH vote.

B5my.gif.07f78637830d78fea01f1ec66dde693a.gif

giphy (1) (4).gif

Edited by mchookem
  • Hook 'Em 1