NBA Playoffs 2022

Vic Mackey

Nice W for the Mavs, but Utah is a mess. I think they are about to blow it up in SLC. Dallas is stepping up in class in round 2, for sure. Should be a great series.

10 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

Mavs need to re-sign Brunson first and foremost.  getting rid of THJr and Bertans should free up some money.  need to sign a rim protector.  and i'm fine with keeping Bullock.  he's a solid 3 and D guy.  and a good dude in the room.  

Brunson is going to command about $20 - $25 million this off-season, maybe more if some desperate GM loses his mind. Nobody is taking that Bertans contract without some assets going with it. Maybe the same thing for THJ. His contract isn't horrible for his value, but it isn't a bargain either and I doubt anybody sees him as their missing piece or a future building block. But they clearly won the Porzingis trade. Luka's extension kicks in next year so we will see what Cuban's appetite is for the tax. This isn't the mid-2000's any more where he can just spend whatever he wants. That repeater tax is not fucking around.

21 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

i think brunson gets closer to $30 than $25.  i hope i'm wrong.  cuban has said all along he does not ever want to pay the luxury tax again but bruv there's no other way 

Next year's cap is estimated to be $122 million and the luxury tax $149 million. Even re-signing Brunson for the low, low price of $20 million would put them at $171 million. All of that is guaranteed unless Trey Burke doesn't pick up his $3.3 million option and then add their first round pick, which is about another $2 million. They are going to have to ship out some future picks if they want to move any of those contracts. Their cap was going to be mostly fucked anyway after the Porzingis contract and the Luka extension kicked in, but Brunson getting another $20-$30 million on top of that really puts them in a bind And then Klieber is going into the last year on his deal too. They are going to have an interesting off season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Next year's cap is estimated to be $122 million and the luxury tax $149 million. Even re-signing Brunson for the low, low price of $20 million would put them at $171 million. All of that is guaranteed unless Trey Burke doesn't pick up his $3.3 million option and then add their first round pick, which is about another $2 million. They are going to have to ship out some future picks if they want to move any of those contracts. Their cap was going to be mostly fucked anyway after the Porzingis contract and the Luka extension kicked in, but Brunson getting another $20-$30 million on top of that really puts them in a bind And then Klieber is going into the last year on his deal too. They are going to have an interesting off season.

I said going into the season that one of Maxi and Powell are gone either during or after this season. I think Maxi can be moved pretty easily as his deal isn’t terrible. But yea, not sure how else they are going to be able to move salary without some picks thrown in. 

6 minutes ago, Llogg said:

That cap number seems very low to me. You have a roster of 15 active guys. They should be able to average $10M per spot. Either that or the max number is way too high.

This year's cap was $112. The closest contending team to that is the Suns at $129 (unless you count Memphis) and their owner is a cheap fuck. There are 18 teams spending more than the Suns.

So yeah - the "cap" is kind of a joke. I'm not sure how much it matters or not. Next CBA should be interesting - hopefully not too interesting. 

6 hours ago, Llogg said:

They need upgrades over Powell, Bullock, and Green more than they need to move on from THJ. If he's a piece that helps them with those upgrades, so be it.

Why Bullock? Dude was a monster for us this series...he and DFS were dawgs and iron men.  I agree with Powell, who should be coming off the bench though.  The Mavs really just need that one rim defending big with quick enough feet to switch and can do the PnR with Luka/Brunson

Why Bullock? Dude was a monster for us this series...he and DFS were dawgs and iron men.  I agree with Powell, who should be coming off the bench though.  The Mavs really just need that one rim defending big with quick enough feet to switch and can do the PnR with Luka/Brunson
Yeah having two legit 3 and D players in Bullock and dodo are what got us through this Utah series. I'm afraid hardaway's time in Dallas is done.
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Concussion so he has to clear protocol

I’m trying to remember the last concussion in basketball. I know there was a big one late in the playoffs like 5 or so years ago but don’t remember who. Seems like it was a big. I know Barkley and the TNT crew were adamant about playing through it, no big deal. Remember thinking it seemed an odd take at the time.