NBA Playoffs 2022

Vic Mackey

Celtics result not that shocking to me. I thought they had shot-making issues in the BKN series and that reared it's head here - was curious as to how they'd look against MIL. Outside of Tatum they don't have anyone that scares you. They got too much credit for barely sweeping a Nets team that they were probably the worst matchup for in the league. I think that was the 3rd lowest point margin sweep in NBA history. 

6 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

lol Wiggins had 0 effort there

I wonder what they could have gotten for he and Wiseman at the deadline. Not a ton, obviously, but maybe a couple of contributors.

Edited by aggie08

2 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

That’s an Oof loss for Memphis. At home, no Draymond, 67 points from Ja and JJJ, Klay misses 2 free throws to ice it, and you still lose. 

Same thing I thought. You have to find a way to win that game. Losing that game is a huge blow for Memphis. GSW scored 117 but seemed off. Klay gifted you 2 missed free throws, too. And that ball was off Memphis and they called a jump ball. Win that tip. Get it in the hands of your best player and he makes a great drive and misses. GSW now gains home court just like that. 

2 minutes ago, bluto said:

Gsw have a shit ton of weapons. Really liked the final play by the griz there but klays D was damn strong. 

I didn’t really like it tbh. I thought it was too obvious he was either gonna catch it at full speed or get a handoff like he did. If you call that at least go to his dominant hand

1 minute ago, OB3 said:

I didn’t really like it tbh. I thought it was too obvious he was either gonna catch it at full speed or get a handoff like he did. If you call that at least go to his dominant hand

He'd rather finish with his left.

22 minutes ago, OB3 said:

I think having Jackson setting a screen for him screaming up court woulda been better. But they got what any team could ask for in that situation, ball in the hands of their ace with a head of steam/path to the lane

On NBA radio yesterday, Sam Mitchell said that the  worse thing that Memphis could do was go small. That would be playing into GS' hands. When Adams comes back go big. Punish GS like San Antonio did to those Mad Mike Phoenix teams. It's what got you the #2 seed in the west. Make Kerr match you, especially at home. I would at least give it a shot.

11 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

On NBA radio yesterday, Sam Mitchell said that the  worse thing that Memphis could do was go small. That would be playing into GS' hands. When Adams comes back go big. Punish GS like San Antonio did to those Mad Mike Phoenix teams. It's what got you the #2 seed in the west. Make Kerr match you, especially at home. I would at least give it a shot.

I largely agree with this. Memphis was the #1 offensive rebounding in the NBA this year, but yesterday Golden State out-rebounded them and had more second chance points. That can't happen if Memphis wants to win this series. Kerr mentioned it post game, but, in their regular season matchups (which Memphis won 3-1), Memphis attempted as many as 18 more field goals per game. That kind of possession disparity is hard to overcome. Play to your strengths and make Golden State adjust to your lineups, not vice versa.

On 4/29/2022 at 11:59 PM, Quagmire said:

Feel like morants dad hangs out at parties with his kid and tries to bang some drunk hoes when everyone is asleep

You say this like its a bad thing.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

I know they won the title last year, but Milwaukee is still a dumb team. Every so often, Lopez needs to take his big ass to the block. At 7', probably 280lbs, he has an advantage. Especially when GA is on the bench. Instead he runs the 3pt line and puts his hands on his knees. 

I guess I just hate it when big men don't take advantage of their natural ability. It's what once made basketball so great.

I agree but now no one knows how to feed the post so it wouldnt matter.   I've seen countless bigs have mismatches down there and the guard will either not even look or throw an awful entry pass that gets stolen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Drew said:

Well he isn't wrong.  However, the team will choose to build around the guard thanks to his scoring potential...hope Mitchell commits to defense again.

I'm a little surprised it was him making the ask but if you see the clips of his body language this season its not super surprising.   He clearly was frustrated with Mitchell not playing any defense and his inability to make a consistently decent entry pass.

1 hour ago, d2o said:

I'm a little surprised it was him making the ask but if you see the clips of his body language this season its not super surprising.   He clearly was frustrated with Mitchell not playing any defense and his inability to make a consistently decent entry pass.

Breaking up with them before they can break up with him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Several thoughts...

Allie Laforce needs a fucking editor. Those little sideline human interest vignettes are running over two or three actual plays.

Ayton has a strangely high effeminate voice.

Mavs have a lot to like after this game, mostly that they were at all in it after playing like dog shit on defense for long stretches.

This Phoenix team might be the biggest bunch of assholes since the bad boys.

The narrator on the Animal Kingdom commercials puts the emPHASis on the wrong syllABle.

Kleber is lucky he can walk out of that arena.

Edited by Llogg

Just now, Llogg said:

Several thoughts...

Allie Laforce needs a fucking editor. Those little sideline human interest vignettes are running over two or three actual plays.

Ayton has a strangely high effeminate voice.

Mavs have a lot to like after this game, mostly that they were at all in it after playing like dog shit on defense for long stretches.

This Phoenix team might be the biggest bunch of assholes since the bad boys.

The narrator on the Animal Kingdom commercials or the emPHASis on the wrong syllABle.

Kleber is lucky he can walk out of that arena.

Suns suck and Suns fans are Arizona sun-baked trash.

So is Luka going to get any help any time soon? He is clearly awesome and could be the leader of a championship team, but seems stuck without any other reliable scorers on his team. I know he plays a lot of ISO ball, but watching the game last night I don't blame him.

I saw several turnovers where the other Mavs guy wasn't even looking for the ball or failed to cut to the hoop. Maybe it was a miscommunication, but it felt like he needs another offensive minded all star to really have a chance at a run. Not that I care all that much, because Fuck Dallas and all that, but it's going to be sad to see an elite talent like him waste away on a team like that. He would need a Dirk-like playoff run to have a shot at a ring.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Dutchrudder said:

So is Luka going to get any help any time soon? He is clearly awesome and could be the leader of a championship team, but seems stuck without any other reliable scorers on his team. I know he plays a lot of ISO ball, but watching the game last night I don't blame him.

I saw several turnovers where the other Mavs guy wasn't even looking for the ball or failed to cut to the hoop. Maybe it was a miscommunication, but it felt like he needs another offensive minded all star to really have a chance at a run. Not that I care all that much, because Fuck Dallas and all that, but it's going to be sad to see an elite talent like him waste away on a team like that. He would need a Dirk-like playoff run to have a shot at a ring.  

The telecast said he had 8 turnovers but box score said 5. Don't know the real number or discrepancy there.

6 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

according to several posters here dirk didn't carry that team so we might be asking luka to do the impossible.

Dirk absolutely carried that team. He went into god mode that playoffs. Carried the team does not mean he did not have help because his supporting cast was really good overall. It was the perfect storm they would probably never duplicate after that year.

Dirk averaged like 28 the whole playoffs. The next was I believe Terry at 10 less points. No idea how anyone could watch those playoffs and not see that was Dirk's team and he put the whole team on his back.

1 hour ago, Dutchrudder said:

The team played great without him to start the Utah series. It's one of those double edged swords. Luka is a great talent but his game is like Harden's and other iso ball players. They iso so much, the teammates can be put to sleep on the court just watching. When Luka was out to start the Utah series, there was  a lot of ball movement. Luka is a ball stopper much of the time. So he lulls everyone to sleep on the court. Not sure what you want the teammates to do if he's just going to dribble the whole clock and put up a shot.

His cast is for sure not good enough to win it all but they aren't terrible. They did their job in round 1. But Utah's defense played them exactly what played to their strengths. Phoenix is much better and are more physical and have more size. They made Brunson look like a scrub. Dinwiddie, too. 

Luka desperately needs a legit #2, though and soon. They tried with KP but struck out. Dirk had Terry for a lot of his career. Luka has who? So I do agree with you on Luka ball hogging a lot because he feels he has to. 

As of now, this roster is going to do what they did this year. They can be a 4/5 seed. Win a 1st round series. But beyond that when they meet much better talent going forward, they get exposed for all their weaknesses.

I saw a lot of people saying last night that Phoenix won't shoot that high of percentage going forward. Well, if Dallas keeps playing dog shit defense, they sure can be close. So many open looks and easy around the basket buckets. Dallas has to work much harder for their points than Phoenix did.

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Dirk absolutely carried that team. He went into god mode that playoffs. Carried the team does not mean he did not have help because his supporting cast was really good overall. It was the perfect storm they would probably never duplicate after that year.

Dirk averaged like 28 the whole playoffs. The next was I believe Terry at 10 less points. No idea how anyone could watch those playoffs and not see that was Dirk's team and he put the whole team on his back.

Totally agree with your overall point but I disagree that Dirk's supporting cast was really good overall. They were easily the worst champion team of the last twenty years, probably even thirty. Sorry was just that good that post season.

5 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Totally agree with your overall point but I disagree that Dirk's supporting cast was really good overall. They were easily the worst champion team of the last twenty years, probably even thirty. Sorry was just that good that post season.

Definitely not 30 as that would include the 93-94 Rockets. 

I am a Houston homer, I acknowledge that, but people forget about how mediocre the entire Rockets team was outside of Hakeem. For example, I know scoring isn't everything, but in the regular season Hakeem averaged 27.3 pts per game. For those playing along at home, try to guess who was second on the team. Go ahead, guess. In case you've forgotten, it was the not-hall-of-famer Otis Thorpe with 14.0 pts per game. Hakeem very nearly doubled the 2nd best scoring player on the team.

Looking at the playoffs, believe it or not, it gets more extreme. In the 1994 playoffs Hakeem increased his scoring to 28.9 pts per game, while the second place scoring dropped! It goes down to 13.8 with the again not-hall-of-famer Vernon Maxwell. Hakeem more than doubled the scoring of his second-place teammate, while being the key defensive linchpin of the team. He didn't have Tyson Chandler backing him up and grabbing boards.

This is not to crap on Dirk but he is clearly a step behind Hakeem in terms of title responsibility.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I'm no Boston fan--I think that they were overrated sweeping a pretty dysfunctional Brooklyn team--but overreactions after Game 1 of a playoff series are always the best.

Yep, they dont stink as badly as people said after gm 1 but they certainly are not as good as many were trying to make them after sweeping the Nets