Depressing NFL Draft thoughts

Fastbreak

I was looking through the position lists for this years draft and noticed that once again we have no offensive skill position players who will be drafted. I thought about who our last 1st rounders were:

QB: Vince Young (2006)

RB: Cedric Benson (2005)

WR: Roy Williams (2004)

TE: N/A

I know what you are thinking. We dominate the 2nd round where the real good players are hidden!…well…

QB; N\A

RB: Jim Bertleson (1972)

WR: Limas Sweed (2008)

TE: Lawrence Sampleton (1982)

Good teams have good players. As we know we haven’t been a good team in quite some time.

On 4/15/2022 at 3:02 PM, Fastbreak said:

I was looking through the position lists for this years draft and noticed that once again we have no offensive skill position players who will be drafted. I thought about who our last 1st rounders were:

I know what you are thinking. We dominate the 2nd round where the real good players are hidden!…well…

QB; N\A

Good teams have good players. As we know we haven’t been a good team in quite some time.

Who are these people who’ve thought we dominated the second round of the NFL draft at skill positions?

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Bijan is the only person I’m 100% positive that will be drafted  

100%, maybe. Certainly the only guy looking at rounds 1-2. But I’d say there is a pretty good chance guys like Overshown, Roschon, Coburn, Angilau get a good look late. 3-4 is probably a good bet, with 4-5 being a real possibility if any of the DL/DB’s breakout. 

On 4/15/2022 at 2:02 PM, Fastbreak said:

QB; N\A

5f321128-6878-4f0a-bc6a-58542346473a_text.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

100%, maybe. Certainly the only guy looking at rounds 1-2. But I’d say there is a pretty good chance guys like Overshown, Roschon, Coburn, Angilau get a good look late. 3-4 is probably a good bet, with 4-5 being a real possibility if any of the DL/DB’s breakout. 

Neyor, hopefully.

23 minutes ago, immamac said:

You chucklefucks that think we are going to be good next year are going to make this board unbearable this fall. Embrace the suck. Become one with the suck. Enjoy the suck. 

Be more like Kansas fans. 

There will be times when we have six 5-star players on the field on offense. I will not embrace the suck. We should not suck. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

*Pulls up 2020 recruiting class*

Bijan is the only person I’m 100% positive that will be drafted  

Ewers will be drafted. Even if he underwhelms as a college QB the next 2 years there's no way an NFL team doesn't look at the arm talent and ability and at least use a 5th or later on him. I think he'll play himself into a first rounder. 

I believe Worthy, Roschon, Neyor, and Billingsley will be drafted. If Whittington can put together a full season he has a good chance. We have no idea about the OL freshmen yet but good chance a couple of them will be. 

The team was young last year after the Herman classes were all decimated by attrition. The best talent on the team were all 1st or 2nd year players. 

24 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Ewers will be drafted. Even if he underwhelms as a college QB the next 2 years there's no way an NFL team doesn't look at the arm talent and ability and at least use a 5th or later on him. I think he'll play himself into a first rounder. 

I believe Worthy, Roschon, Neyor, and Billingsley will be drafted. If Whittington can put together a full season he has a good chance. We have no idea about the OL freshmen yet but good chance a couple of them will be. 

The team was young last year after the Herman classes were all decimated by attrition. The best talent on the team were all 1st or 2nd year players. 

Ewers isn’t eligible for 2023 draft. 

Yep - development is key.  We have had enough raw roster talent to compete for the big 12 over the last decade. I've often heard arguments on the football board during the last 5 years or so "that we just don't have the talent as other teams in the big 12 - look at the draft."  But that's primarily an indictment of our poor development by Mack and then Strong and then turtle Tom.  That raw talent is there - we have had a lot of guys go to the league as undrafted free agents.  In fact, we are #19 in active NFL players right now. But the problem is we (deservedly) have a reputation as a soft program and our players are not coached up.  NFL teams want dudes that come in right away and be impact guys and starters.  They aren't going to waste draft picks and the concomitant $$$ on fringe guys that need development.  There are no minor leagues to work the kinks out.  So our guys go undrafted and a fair number of them hang around the league because the pure talent is there.  It's really sad.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

It's the culture of the program. You take the best looking apple in an orchard and throw it in a bunch with rotting apples and it will turn bad. We have such a poor culture here we have video of the DL coach screaming at the team to get in the mother fucking portal because they're losers who accept losing. We have a senior player slamming his teammates to the media as not being committed and putting in the work.

That culture took hold under the last 2 to 3 years of Mack and so far 3 head coaches after haven't been able to change it. It's bigger than the players and bigger than the coaches at this point. We need an all around overhaul and Sark is attempting to do it. We need it to be clear you haven't achieved anything just by being here. You're only here to do what it takes to kick people's ass on fall Saturdays. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

It's the culture of the program. You take the best looking apple in an orchard and throw it in a bunch with rotting apples and it will turn bad. We have such a poor culture here we have video of the DL coach screaming at the team to get in the mother fucking portal because they're losers who accept losing. We have a senior player slamming his teammates to the media as not being committed and putting in the work.

That culture took hold under the last 2 to 3 years of Mack and so far 3 head coaches after haven't been able to change it. It's bigger than the players and bigger than the coaches at this point. We need an all around overhaul and Sark is attempting to do it. We need it to be clear you haven't achieved anything just by being here. You're only here to do what it takes to kick people's ass on fall Saturdays. 

The culture is beyond players/coaches. Since Akers it seems like every hiring process is a banana republic. It’s top down issue. No one is aligned 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Ewers will be drafted. Even if he underwhelms as a college QB the next 2 years there's no way an NFL team doesn't look at the arm talent and ability and realize with half decent coaching, he could turn out to be something.

Edited by Deej

11 hours ago, immamac said:

You chucklefucks that think we are going to be good next year are going to make this board unbearable this fall. Embrace the suck. Become one with the suck. Enjoy the suck. 

E1DC3794-348B-4D50-B55D-6E4263EF0137.gif

Edited by Daichee Bell
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, immamac said:

I mean, sure. I'm not sure what guys no longer on the roster that weren't developed by this staff have to do with it though. 

Heres a problem, Texas is largely run by Texans and Texas is mostly populated by fucking morons who don't recognize their own stupidity. Bloviating narcissist's that think they got where they are by being better than everyone else instead of mostly just luck and someone elses hard work.

Edited by Michael Knight
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Fuck You 4

8 hours ago, immamac said:

This. The program has been dead for 12 years. It’s a laughing stock and it’s not getting better with 7 loss Steve. 

Texas is where good high school players go to die in suckage/horribad development, or not so good high school players go to be overrated.

That's been the situation since halfway into GWB's administration. Kids are now in middle school who were born the last time we had all around solid coaches and talent. But hey, there's always next year...

Have a nice day!🙂

Edited by phdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

Heres a problem, Texas is largely run by Texans and Texas is mostly populated by fucking morons who don't recognize their own stupidity. Bloviating narcissist's that think they got where they are by being better than everyone else instead of mostly just luck and someone elses hard work.

Bloviating narcissist's what?

• Rage+1 1

10 hours ago, Not a cat said:

We are like Kansas fans with our expectations.  Unfortunately, it's the Kansas basketball fans.

We are what would happen if Kansas basketball fans had the same expectations for their football program.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m also a dallas cowboys fan. Every year in September I get excited and the November comes around. Oh well. It’s been going on for 25 years.
  • Haha 1