What the hell makes these things in my yard?

52 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

@Lat22 is this a serious thread?  I ask because ive heard a few jokes that stem from that, and you live in SE Texas (iirc).  Friends dad used to say that when he retired, he was going to set one on the hood and settle down when the first person asked him what the hell that was. 

Yeah, I figured he'd be too country/outdoor not to know that.

8 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

@Lat22 is this a serious thread?  I ask because ive heard a few jokes that stem from that, and you live in SE Texas (iirc).  Friends dad used to say that when he retired, he was going to set one on the hood and settle down when the first person asked him what the hell that was. 

Yeah, I was serious. I’m a South Texas guy who recently moved from Houston to just outside of Houston. We have a pond and these crawdad holes are everywhere. I’ve eaten the shit out of them but had never seen one of these holes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

Yeah, I was serious. I’m a South Texas guy who recently moved from Houston to just outside of Houston. We have a pond and these crawdad holes are everywhere. I’ve eaten the shit out of them but had never seen one of these holes. 

Makes sense. I thought you were from Houston/Galv. I grew in Brazoria county, and they were in our yards and ditches by the thousands.  They are hell on lawnmower blades.  When you start seeing them, you know you are about to start getting basin crawfish for the rest of the season. 

14 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

While crawfish are everywhere, it seems like those burrows are not.  

I have only seen them in piney-type areas with sandy soil, which I guess makes sense.  They ain't gonna tunnel through black gumbo soil.

They absolutely, unequivocally, do. I’m talking need a bucket of water for your shovel while digging a hole gumbo. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• 4 weeks later...