Outer Range on Amazon Prime

Cheeseweasel

Spoiler

whats up with the rocks that make everyone willing to give up real estate for a pebble?

I was confused by the poker hand scene. I was only half paying attention but didn't she have a flush against his two pair but he somehow won? Or did he have a full house? Regardless when the show demonstrated that he won by cheating, I didn't care enough to rewind to watch again.

Oh, and if someone made a joke/not-joke that I had to show them my feet before playing poker with them, I would step away. I don't play with crazy.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

Finished the 6 episode season.

Spoiler

Royal is the past.  His name reflects his fading stature as American royalty -- the rancher king.  Autumn is the future.  Her name reflects the change from the past to the future, the old dying to make way for the new.  This theme is also reflected in the bison-with-arrows -- a symbol of what preceded the rancher kings and had to die for the ranchers to rise.  This overarching theme of time and the ending of eras is hinted at with the recitals about Chronos.

I love the ambition.  I love the premise.  The original score is fantastic.  I loved the first 2 episodes, after which I thought this was going to be the best show ever.  Now after 6, I think its collapsing under its own pretentious weight.  The dialog and acting in the last 2-3 episodes became ridiculously melodramatic and the characters actions make little sense.  The confrontation between Royal and Autumn was particularly cringe worthy.

I'll give it a chance again if/when there is a season 2.  I hope it bounces back to the form of its first 2-3 episodes, but I aint gonna bet the west pasture on it.

• Hook 'Em 5

21 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Perfect analysis. I WANT it to be good. But I’m not sure it is. At times it’s horrible. 

Spoiler

Yep.  Royal’s prayer at the dinner table with his family is some of the best TV I have ever seen.  His riding off with Autumn on the ATV in the night and confrontation with her after she jumps off is some of the worst.  The show has a lot of promise, but it’s quality over time is trending in the wrong direction.

• Hook 'Em 1

Finished the 6 episode season.
Spoiler

Royal is the past.  His name reflects his fading stature as American royalty -- the rancher king.  Autumn is the future.  Her name reflects the change from the past to the future, the old dying to make way for the new.  This theme is also reflected in the bison-with-arrows -- a symbol of what preceded the rancher kings and had to die for the ranchers to rise.  This overarching theme of time and the ending of eras is hinted at with the recitals about Chronos.

I love the ambition.  I love the premise.  The original score is fantastic.  I loved the first 2 episodes, after which I thought this was going to be the best show ever.  Now after 6, I think its collapsing under its own pretentious weight.  The dialog and acting in the last 2-3 episodes became ridiculously melodramatic and the characters actions make little sense.  The confrontation between Royal and Autumn was particularly cringe worthy.

I'll give it a chance again if/when there is a season 2.  I hope it bounces back to the form of its first 2-3 episodes, but I aint gonna bet the west pasture on it.

I read there’s actually 8 episodes not 6.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Spoiler

So is Autumn Royal’s daughter from an affair (missing daughter-in-law?), sister from the 1800s, or granddaughter who grew up? I initially thought sister, but now I’m not sure. She’s definitely a time traveler though—and she has to be related in some way to Royal.

Spoiler tagged for now....

Spoiler

- I presume the kid at the edge of the hole when young Royal popped out was Tillerson

- "When" did Perry go?

- Who is the dude that invited Chief onto his property?  Had we seen him before because he now seems important?  Is she trapped or can she just walk back?

- I presume now that Royal figured out who Autumn is, his death flash forward makes more sense -- he, Autumn/Amy, and his wife all look friendly in that moment.  Royal was trying to kill Autumn to prevent that vision from happening.  Autumn wanted to be friendly with Royal but lost her shit when he tried to scare/kill her and burned her stuff, including what must have been some meds.

- "Mom" on the phone is Amy's mom.  Now we know that.  So season two is what was she afraid of and why did she run away from the family?  I presume she found out about Royal somehow.

I think there are going to be some more closed circles here like Amy/Autumn next season.  After a dip, I enjoyed the hell out of that finale.

Spoiler tagged for now....
Spoiler

- I presume the kid at the edge of the hole when young Royal popped out was Tillerson
- "When" did Perry go?
- Who is the dude that invited Chief onto his property?  Had we seen him before because he now seems important?  Is she trapped or can she just walk back?
- I presume now that Royal figured out who Autumn is, his death flash forward makes more sense -- he, Autumn/Amy, and his wife all look friendly in that moment.  Royal was trying to kill Autumn to prevent that vision from happening.  Autumn wanted to be friendly with Royal but lost her shit when he tried to scare/kill her and burned her stuff, including what must have been some meds.
- "Mom" on the phone is Amy's mom.  Now we know that.  So season two is what was she afraid of and why did she run away from the family?  I presume she found out about Royal somehow.
I think there are going to be some more closed circles here like Amy/Autumn next season.  After a dip, I enjoyed the hell out of that finale.

I’m gonna have to watch again from the start. We finished it last night with too many questions and you saw shit I missed.

On 5/10/2022 at 9:14 AM, futureman said:

why did mom puncture her hand with the baby bear tooth?

I had that same question too so I went back and watched it and it has something to do with the women's bible study group story. They were talking about bears and sin. I think she did it for some nutty religious interpretation she got out of the bible study. That is all I got.

• Hook 'Em 1

I watched the first couple of episodes and lost interest. Nothing else to watch so revisited hoping for better.

It did. It’s weird as shit but I’m growing more intrigued, especially with the Royal confession.

I assume the bear and bison are characters that have somehow been reincarnated as animals? Don’t know how else to explain that.

Only question is how do Autumn and Amy exist in the same time? So if Autumn runs into her at the ranch just say sup?

Josh Brolin is made for this. He’s a great fucking Western actor.

Edited by Mach 1
Brolin

Cool, lots of questions but which ones were actually answered aside from perhaps the most you’ll-never-see-this-coming-except-you-totally-will-after-one-episode twist that Autumn was the girl in the last two mins of the show?  Who was actually a likable character?  Why the painful musical every episode?  Was the comedy intentional or a byproduct of terrible writing?  Why did the cgi by the richest corporation on the planet look like something from an early-90s miniseries?

This was like a moderately better version of the worst show of all time, The OA.  Eps 1&2 we’re great.  The rest were below average to awful

Edited by Chet Steadman
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 months later...

Okay, I just finished this, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

It didn't leave me terribly confused about much in the end.  Throughout the series I was wondering precisely what Autumn meant with the "no one is ever really gone" line she kept repeating.  Then it occurred to me, I suppose everyone exists eternally somewhere in time.  

The only thing I don't understand is what Rebecca meant when she told Amy that she had to go and "hide" for a while.  From what?  Where?

Interesting that everyone we know of that went through the portal went forward in time--but Amy must've gone backward, given she's an adult in the present.

They did a great job of keeping me interested, and I was surprised about that.  During the scene in which Royal tells Perry about killing his dad, I thought "They're dressed like pioneers."  But it still gave me a Whoa! moment when he said 1886.  Wasn't expecting that at all.

When the sheriff came across the buffalo her and all the teepees, that didn't make sense to me at first, but then after Luke opened a portal for more buffalo, I guess the Indians had come through earlier without anyone having seen them yet.  

The mountain disappearing/reappearing seems odd.

• 1 year later...