Thor: Love and Thunder

Michael Knight

Because the God of Thunder deserves his own thread.  Seems Thor is having a mid-immortal life crisis and going on a walkabout.  Squint and you can see Tess Thompson, Waititi in Korg CGI, Russell Gladiator as Zeus, and of course, Natalie Portman, who is back as Dr. Jane Foster and replacement Thor.  No Christian Bale yet..... but he's coming.

And Hemsworth is looking pretty..... Thunderlips, or Hulkish with the died blonde hair.

I realize it's not completely analogous because Thor is a part of the bigger MCU and there were a ton of other movies with him, but how often are the sequels to a movie so much better than the first one?

Ragnarok >>>>>> Thor 1 and 2, and this one looks like it will be, as well.

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I realize it's not completely analogous because Thor is a part of the bigger MCU and there were a ton of other movies with him, but how often are the sequels to a movie so much better than the first one?

Pretty common, but not by a margin like this.  The only sequel I can think of that would compare is Mission Impossible 3, over MI2.

54 minutes ago, utee94 said:

need more >>, imo

• Hook 'Em 2

49 minutes ago, BluTechsan said:

Has Portman been in a Disney cartoon yet?

She's following in Ming Na's footsteps in going for the Disney tri-fecta:

- Star Wars Heroine

- Marvel Super Hero

- Disney Princess

She voiced Jane in What If. Does that count now?

Mighty Thor (Jane/Natalie Portman) coming into the lineup means that Marvel is moving along in replacing the original avengers (whose actors were pretty much done), with Falcon = Captain America, Hawkette = Hawkeye, and Yelena Belova (Florence Pugh 😍) replacing Black Widow, and depending on how things with Sony work out, Spidey replacing Iron Man (down to the suit).

That leaves Hulk (who for licensing reasons is not allowed his own movie), and Chris Hemsworth's Thor is kind of in an odd position (and Hemsworth seems quite happy hanging around, hopefully they will just merge him into the Guardians and leave Jane's Thor with the others on Earth).  And then Moon Knight and/or Hawkeye could setup the West Coast Avengers (still not sure where F4 fits in). 

Need to go look at the MCU movie listing for the next 3-4 years.  And also rage some more about how J J Abrams fucked up Star Wars when Marvel was doing all of these sequels and slowly replacing the original cast/characters with new/same characters, but still making it fresh, whereas Abrams was just rehashing the OT in a ham-fisted way.

intro-1640208652.jpg

spider-man-no-way-home-iron-spider-tom-h

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Mighty Thor (Jane/Natalie Portman) coming into the lineup means that Marvel is moving along in replacing the original avengers (whose actors were pretty much done), with Falcon = Captain America, Hawkette = Hawkeye, and Yelena Belova (Florence Pugh 😍) replacing Black Widow, and depending on how things with Sony work out, Spidey replacing Iron Man (down to the suit).

That leaves Hulk (who for licensing reasons is not allowed his own movie), and Chris Hemsworth's Thor is kind of in an odd position (and Hemsworth seems quite happy hanging around, hopefully they will just merge him into the Guardians and leave Jane's Thor with the others on Earth).  And then Moon Knight and/or Hawkeye could setup the West Coast Avengers (still not sure where F4 fits in). 

Need to go look at the MCU movie listing for the next 3-4 years.  And also rage some more about how J J Abrams fucked up Star Wars when Marvel was doing all of these sequels and slowly replacing the original cast/characters with new/same characters, but still making it fresh, whereas Abrams was just rehashing the OT in a ham-fisted way.

intro-1640208652.jpg

spider-man-no-way-home-iron-spider-tom-h

While each of these stars are solid replacements to push along the rest of the original momentum, to me, none of these characters or actors (save Tom Holland) have enough power to carry a box office franchise.  I think that's why we're seeing a flurry of Disney+ series being used as testing grounds.  We all still get good MCU material, while the studio uses it as a litmus to figure out where to put their future focus.  I remember reading that we're supposed to shift toward the cosmos.  Maybe all this reshuffle helps set up for Skrulls vs. Kree.  Then bring in the Fantasic Four and somehow tie in the Negative Zone, Kang, etc...I don't know.

But with all my ramble, I kinda like not knowing where this is all going.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...