World Cup bracket challenge

Goo Punch

MIB suggested we do this, and I don’t mind running the thing if that’s what it takes. I’m thinking $25/person, winner-take-all? Maybe second place gets some money if we get 10+ people in? First kick is the morning of Thursday, June 14th, so we have a couple of weeks to get picks in. With myself and MIB that’s already two people, and using our NBA playoffs bracket challenge as an example, we only had 7 people enter and the winner is walking away with $175. Not bad. Only one question remains: are you down to clown? 

55 minutes ago, maninblack said:

Never done a Pick em/Bracket for the WC. Any sites provide a good set up?

Based on the early response we’re going to need a good site to host this thing. I’ve done one of these before but I can’t remember which site hosted it. I’m surprised that I haven’t been able to find a good site yet, and particularly surprised that ESPN doesn’t have a contest. I suppose it’s the fact that FOX is broadcasting this tournament is the reason, but still; ESPN is usually on top of this stuff.

Alright, I created a group using MoJames’ link:

Edit: well, still working on it apparently 

https://bracketchallenge.fifa.com/bracket/leaguejoin/c832429a

second edit: it forced me to make a bracket before I created a group, and once you make a bracket YOU CANNOT EDIT IT, which is pretty fucking stupid. So that being said I’m going to make a different entry later on which will be my official bracket. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

I'm. In as well.

I was one Higuaín choke special from winning the Shag in 2014 and finishing in the Top 100 on ESPN's bracket. If Pipita does choke like he would also in the Cops America finals of 2015 & 2016, I could have retired a Champ.

Seems you gotta do bracket before you join also....say you guess wrong on which 2 advance from group will we be doing a reset knockout round?
Or just sorry you suck

Seems a bit tricky since we wont even know if we have correct knockout games considering possible match ups depending on who is 1 vs 2 in groups

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

The one thing I'm curious about is how it handles the knock out rounds. If you get the group winners correct but the order (1/2) incorrect then that'll completely throw off the subsequent rounds. In theory you could pick everyone advancing correctly but miss 100% of the matchups in the first knockout round because of order.

This is what another hommie is doin..

How to Play:

- Save the image of the bracket

- Number who will rank out of the group from 1 through 4. 1 and 2 will be moving to the next round (You will recieve extra points if you guess 1 through 4 of each group correctly)

- Continue filling out the bracket with each team that you think will win the match

- Tiebreaker: Calculate the total number of goals you think will be scored by the winning team. Closest over or under number will win first place. If still tied, then closest number under the total will be first place.

- Once your bracket is completed, please make sure everything is legible and you sign/date the bottom. Email final copy
- No changes to brackets once they have been emailed

SCORING SYSTEM:

Group Stage Scoring

Correctly predict a Group winner: 10 points
Correctly predict a Group Runner-Up: 10 points
Correctly predict the top two teams (in any order): 3 points
Correctly predict the entire group in the correct order: 15 points

Knockout Stage Scoring

For each correct team in the Quarter-Finals: 3 points
For each correct team in the Semi-Finals: 4 points
For each correct team in the Final: 5 points
For the correct World Cup 2018 Winner: 10 points
For the correct World Cup 2018 Runner-up: 8 points
Correctly predict a fixture (both correct teams and the correct position in the bracket): 10 points

Fees: 
$30/bracket (2 bracket max)

Payouts:
1st Place - 50% of the total
2nd Place - 35% of the total
3rd Place - 15% of the total

idea.jpg

Me and mib have brought it...depending on how groups finish you could have every team moving on correctly and not have one game correct for knockout stage

It could work out where brazil and germany plus france and argentina meet in first knockout stage and then i lose 2 of my final 4 right off the bat
Or they wont play eachother until semis

Is it possible to pick groups with point system 1 thru 4 then do knockout when we know the matches

Doesn't look like it's going to materialize unledd we can scrap together our own system where we post our picks here and have some sort of agreement on how to score the KO rounds. Like maybe we coukd all submit an original bracket with point values that go way higher the further into the tournament we go, with bonuses for getting the exact matchups predicted correctly. Then we aalso have a running bracket that's worth fewer points where we pick the real KO matchups as they are assigned.

Shit, i wish I had thought of that like two weeks ago. Bottom line is that I'm down to throw down $25 with anyone who else who wants to ^^^^ that, or one of the other options. 

Edited by Goo Punch

But im down for whatevs...like the break down of doing groups for points then doing doing points for KO on actual match ups then adding scores together???

First in group 5 points ...second 3 points...3rd 2 points ...4th 1 point???

Then knockout maybe 10-15-25-50???

so make our picks for the group stage and then come back and make our picks for the knockout round after it's set?  i don't mind doing it that way, but does everyone start fresh in the knockout round, or do you not get to make a pick if you picked the wrong team(s) to get there?

What's wrong with Koopa's format? 

Edit - a board I used to post on a lot, but not much anymore, does a really fun fantasy player draft. The points are tailored for each position group with shit like points for clean sheets and key passes. Doubt we could pull off a draft this close to the start of the Cup though... 

Edited by Doc Sam Beckett

Nothing wrong with koopas....im signed up in both but dont know if there is a group to join on second one...

Just discussing ideas and thoughts for KO rds since group stage can throw whole bracket off if a group has to use tiebreakers or other scenarios

25 $ paypal.... Use first link goo did since he has a group to join

Use that for group play predictions and go ahead pick KO games and your champ

We can do a KO rd later if craziness happens in groups.....will add group points plus KO points at end for winnner

I only use paypal to buy stuff with a credit card.  I'm in if I do that.  Maybe make it $30 for those that don't have a paypal account.

Here is the best, easiest, quickest way to do our brackets and lock them down.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44455057

Fill out you bracket.

Copy the link.

Paste it here.

Recorded for posterity.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44455057#results=4,1,5,6,11,9,13,15,17,20,21,24,25,28,31,32,4,15,1,13,17,25,21,28,15,17,13,21,17,21,21