the handmaid's tale - hulu - s2

henrygandorf

It's fantastic.  I'm liking more of the backstory in s2 than in s1... obviously since they're able to go beyond the novel at this point.

Well written, well shot, and incredibly-well acted... one of the best dramas currently on tv/streaming today.

I'm behind an episode on this season, but I've liked "June" (ep 1) and "Other Women" (ep 4) the most so far.  It's been pretty damn brutal at times, but still very much worth watching.

Guest Lobo

^

You mean with all the rounding up of fertile women?  Too soon?  

I'm caught up as of tomorrow and am enjoying it very much.  You can see the touch between Atwood and the show-runners that wanted to hyperbolically reflect the Trump administration.  But the cinematographer(s) and the second tier actors on this show are hitting it the fuck out of the park.  Except Fenway.  Attempt no baseball there.  

21 minutes ago, Parliament said:

In what way?

I personally believe that the Handmaid Tale are very apropos for current times because, uh, Donald Trump and some people out there in our nation don't have maps and, uh, I believe that our education, like such as in South Africa and, uh, the Iraq, everywhere like such as

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

So are the colonies basically other parts of the former US that the Gilead leadership nuked as part of the civil war that allowed them to take over?  I didn't read book, but my understanding is that the book never makes it clear.  The show seems to indicate that, though.

Set aside relevance to today.  The book was written in the 80s as a thought piece on whatan 80s style Iranian Theocracy might look like in the US.  That said, I am sure there are some extremist Warren Jeffs/Westboro BC types out there that watch and see Gilead as the good guys.  Those types tend to not have TVs, though.   (Last two sentences tongue and cheek.  Please do not flame).

And yes, I can't wait to see how next episode starts.  Things did indeed get real.  

Edited by A-Tex Devil

i don't typically love the flashbacks, but would be interested in a specific blow-by-blow to how they took power.

i guess the flashbacks don't ring super realistic to me because i don't know how they managed to do it in the first place.  the sheer man power it takes just to police every corner of boston - it doesn't really make sense unless they did indeed nuke a great portion of the country.  otherwise the resistance (or whatever) seems like it would be too hard to stop.

so...for those who are caught up...

any guesses on who makes it out of that convention hall alive, and where it goes from here?  the 2-3 episodes of her trying to escape was pretty brutal, and i really don't want to go on her personal journey again.  it needs to be some sort of uprising.  this is also the type of show that needs needs needs an end date.  if they're just going on for as many seasons as possible, it'll just get frustrating.

the one word that i always use to describe the world where this takes place, is "bleak".  to fully establish this, some of the sequences and full episodes are a real beatdown.  for that reason, binging is preferable.  i wouldn't want to watch 55 minutes of hopelessness, just to have to wait a week.

that being said, it's one of the very few shows out there, where i have literally no idea what is going to happen next.

The show is great but disturbing. Last weeks episode blew me away, no pun intended. 

There are moments in the show where I feel there are similarities with the show and where our country could go under Trump, and some of his hard line followers. Gilead is basically a Nazi State and there are many people today that follow Trump, not all, that would love this country to be like that. 

Edited by Brandywine

6 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Maybe just me but I can't stand Elizabeth moss' face

Definitely not just you. 

But I do have to say, her ability to act through facial expressions alone is pretty remarkable. 

Interesting development with Offred and Serena having a common enemy for the first time. I look forward to seeing how their relationship changes once Offred edits the orders. I expect them to gain some sort of newfound respect for one another, but I hope that June gets the ultimate revenge on Serena in the end. 

• 3 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, lateshow said:

So this isn't just a chick show? 

It's pretty much a chick show.  I liked the first few episodes of season one, and started to lose interest.  Wife is still enthralled with it so I keep watching.  Last few episodes of this season have made things more interesting again, but I still have issues with the whole premise of the show, that in Gilead they eschew all medicine and science (including in vitro fertilization) and instead only reproduce infertile couples by having important men subjugating fertile "fallen women" to have sex with them in creepy religious rituals.

Maybe in 1960, but today?

The show is kind of jumping up and down in one place. Gilead is bad and Liz Moss is sad. 

The show has kind of fallen in love with itself like The Walking Dead did. You see this in the way so much of the show is reaction to tragedy where the surviving characters lament and wallow in shock. The creators seem to think that we're all bonding over the repeated close ups of Moss' sad or angry face. I would just like to have a little more story.

I agree about Moss' excellence in acting with her face. The writers seem to be using that as a crutch instead of actually dramatizing anything. The best part of the season was Moss and Serena collaborating, but that didn't go anywhere.

Hope they figure it out during hiatus. I liked the first season.

Edited by RomaVicta

10 hours ago, Native Horn said:

Three more episodes to go, I believe.

10 hours ago, Native Horn said:

Three more episodes to go, I believe.

I googled it. It looks like there are to be 12 episodes, so there would be two left. Glad I was wrong. Maybe they can finish strong.

The first season had only 10 episodes, so I thought this last one was the last of the season.

On 6/20/2018 at 10:44 PM, RomaVicta said:

The show is kind of jumping up and down in one place. Gilead is bad and Liz Moss is sad. 

The show has kind of fallen in love with itself like The Walking Dead did. You see this in the way so much of the show is reaction to tragedy where the surviving characters lament and wallow in shock. The creators seem to think that we're all bonding over the repeated close ups of Moss' sad or angry face. I would just like to have a little more story.

I agree about Moss' excellence in acting with her face. The writers seem to be using that as a crutch instead of actually dramatizing anything. The best part of the season was Moss and Serena collaborating, but that didn't go anywhere.

Hope they figure it out during hiatus. I liked the first season.

agreed with this.  since the whole boston globe arc, there really hasn't been any type of progress (except the canada episode, kinda).  unfortunately, with moss super preggo, some sort of daring escape is unlikely.  in fact, the way they're setting it up almost seems like she won't try anything until she has the baby, so that she's essentially rescuing herself and the baby from this hell.

one of two things is happening - either (1) they're hammering us with this bleak, beating of a story, which is totally unnecessary, but will make the payoff work when/if it happens, or (2) they're lingering in the same place for way too long because they simply don't have too much story to tell, and so they're stretching it out.

1 could work, 2 would really suck.  i'm worried that getting moss to canada is the ending, but it really doesn't need to be.  with the introduction of the american guy, i would hope there could be a separate story of a revolution and america "attacking" gilead.  (sidenote - is the rest of "america" just in hawaii?  are they spread around the country just not in major east coast cities?  it's really hard to tell how big gilead's reach is).

someone who has a better grasp of political history maybe can provide the perfect parallel, but how would you describe gilead's trip to canada?  would that be like cuba or china sending diplomats to the states 30 years ago?  would it be like nazi's coming to the states in 1939?  they seemed so pleased to be welcomed in canada and so surprised at the massive protests (by not just displaced americans) and then so confused when they were asked to leave.  i think that's partly a fuckup by canadians to allow the trip in the first place, but maybe they had some other secret motives working behind the scenes.  clearly the american guy had an agenda.  

i really hope they get into the politics of it all.  i want the show to resolve itself with gilead getting dismantled/overthrown, not just june escaping and reuniting with her husband and lesbo pal.

• Like 1

I’m through the 1st 7 episodes of Season 1.  It’s an interesting show that has kept me engaged, but the dystopia is flat unbelievable.  They kept it too close in time to the present for how far removed it is from reality and the cause/formula for the transition just doesn’t fully work. I will continue to watch but it’s hard not to think it ridiculous.

On 6/22/2018 at 12:20 AM, RomaVicta said:

I googled it. It looks like there are to be 12 episodes, so there would be two left. Glad I was wrong. Maybe they can finish strong.

The first season had only 10 episodes, so I thought this last one was the last of the season.

It’s been a good season and the last two episodes seemed to be pulled right out of what’s going on now in our country. On Wikipedia it says 13 episodes for this season. I’m fine either way. Some of the episodes have been really slow. I just hope there’s not too much of a cliff hanger and then a long break in between. 

I’ve definitey been frustrated at time with this season. Can we please move the story along please?

as to the poster above regarding the size of Gilead and where the US is. In the most recent episode, on the wall of one of the office shows a couple maps. I’m guessing the red portion of the US map are Gilead-held areas. Also, on the radio the broadcast is coming from Juneau, AK, the new capitol of the US

they allude to Florida still being under siege.  Texas/AZ/NM may still be in play because of the way the Mexico diplomats spoke last season.  The West Coast is unclear, and certainly not secure, because of the offer of the guy in the hotel to fly her to Honolulu and not the West Coast.  Perhaps to put their best foot forward.  the book treats it as a cursory issue, kinda like it's never explained in The Road or Children of Men what got us there in the first place.  But it does mention several areas in the midwest still contested.  But we're clearly meant to understand that the second season has progressed months past the first year.  And that things are quieting down each week outside of this particular district.  

On 6/30/2018 at 2:07 PM, SubliminalHorn said:

I’ve definitey been frustrated at time with this season. Can we please move the story along please?

Amen, brother. Another episode where we get to see that Offred is not happy in general and very sad that she can't see her children. Difficult concepts for the audience to grasp, so praise be that they keep hammering us with it.

The best story right now is Emily's. I think she is being tested to be sure she can be trusted not to reveal that her new household lives in defiance of Gilead. They may have tipped their hand a little too much with the sassy Martha. Anyway, here there is tension and mystery as to what happens next. Here the actress gets more to do than passively reflect the direness of her situation.

The Elizabeth Moss element of the episode and Emily's element should have been reversed in terms of screen time. Offred's story could be easily told in ten minutes while I think we would all love to see what Emily's world is all about with a half hour or more.

West World and Handmaid's Tale are both fumbling the blade instead of pressing home their narratives. 

15 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Amen, brother. Another episode where we get to see that Offred is not happy in general and very sad that she can't see her children. Difficult concepts for the audience to grasp, so praise be that they keep hammering us with it.

The best story right now is Emily's. I think she is being tested to be sure she can be trusted not to reveal that her new household lives in defiance of Gilead. They may have tipped their hand a little too much with the sassy Martha. Anyway, here there is tension and mystery as to what happens next. Here the actress gets more to do than passively reflect the direness of her situation.

The Elizabeth Moss element of the episode and Emily's element should have been reversed in terms of screen time. Offred's story could be easily told in ten minutes while I think we would all love to see what Emily's world is all about with a half hour or more.

West World and Handmaid's Tale are both fumbling the blade instead of pressing home their narratives. 

It didn’t occur to me that the crazy new Commander may actually be part of the resistance. Could be a good twist. I feel like the story got stuck after she was returned to the house after almost getting away at the beginning. I mentioned last night tot he husband while watching, “oh look, offred is back at the house...again” 

my working theory since the beginning was that Commander Fred would find a way to escape with Offred. From the previews I watched for the season finale, he moves to get Serena out of the way. I may have been right. We’ll see 

46 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

I feel like the story got stuck after she was returned to the house after almost getting away at the beginning.

I agree. Spoiler below about something specific to the episode.

Spoiler

Also, last night they could have done a little more with the pool execution. Maybe the couple looks at each other during that moment while you still have air. A quiet moment that slowly disintegrates as panic sets in. Maybe they turn their backs on each other as the panic sets in because they can't bear to watch the other drown. Anyway, it takes awhile to drown. Seems like an opportunity for something.

Edited by RomaVicta

Watched the finale.  Liked the episode, but not the way it ended.  Not sure how it sets up next year....

Spoiler

Obviously, June had to stay in Gilead for the show to work.  But is June going to be working with the guy from West Wing for the resistance? Is she going to get caught and the whole season is another series of escape attempts?  It will be tough to keep the psychological drama going and this may be more of an "Not Without My Daughter" action flick going forward.  I'll probably still watch, but unless the budget gets upped and it gets into rebellion and war, it won't be the prestige show it held itself out to be, I don't think.  

And whither the Aunt and Nick?

21 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Watched the finale.  Liked the episode, but not the way it ended.  Not sure how it sets up next year....

Hide contents

Nick is upstairs with the Commander keeping him "safe".  Did he blow his cover there or will the Commander think he sincerely was only concerned with his safety?  And how is Serena going to factor into Nick's fate?   

Aunt Hellbitch can go fuck herself.  I hope West Wing finished her off with a blunt object and put her through a wood chipper.  

And why are we using spoilers?   Anyone dumb enough to venture into this thread without first watching the finale deserves to be spoiled.  

agreed.  this season was not great in my opinion.

it gave us glimmers, but seemed to only use them to get our hopes up, so they could once again dash them.

stuff happened this season on its own, but didn't start any type of ripple effect one would expect.  bomb goes off with all important gilead leaders...nothing happens.  commander is laid up for a few days.  rebellion doesn't capitalize, no real plan to move, literally no effect.  they visit canada, american dude makes a play for serena, story totally goes away.  they get kicked out of canada, no follow up, no consequences once they're back in gilead.  the letters get released, but yawn, all it did was incite riots in canada while they were there.  we barely saw the husband.  whatever happened outside the house where june gave birth, barely mentioned again, once she was safe back at home.

i'm really not a fan of series like this that have already been renewed for s3, setting up next season with this season's finale.  if anything, have june in a vehicle on her way out, on her way to freedom, somehow the husband knows she's coming, then at the start of next season, she changes her mind, hands off the baby, and goes back for hannah and to wreak havoc.

c-

Edited by henrygandorf

I feel like it would have been better to have her get out and then work from the outside to get her daughter back and maybe even find a way to contact Serena and introduce her to the resistance. 

I don’t know, so many ways they could take the story but it keeps getting bogged down. I’m still going to watch season 3 because I’m invested in it. 

4 hours ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Hide contents

Obviously, June had to stay in Gilead for the show to work.  But is June going to be working with the guy from West Wing for the resistance? Is she going to get caught and the whole season is another series of escape attempts?  It will be tough to keep the psychological drama going and this may be more of an "Not Without My Daughter" action flick going forward.  I'll probably still watch, but unless the budget gets upped and it gets into rebellion and war, it won't be the prestige show it held itself out to be, I don't think.  

Shades of Westwood Maeve

• 2 weeks later...

Wife is a huge Margaret Atwood fan and she says she's out after this season. My only question is how exactly do they walk back June's decision to stay given she stole a baby from Gilead? Yeah she's fertile but how many times do you allow a handmaid to run off before sending her to the colonies? Or Nick's decision to hold Waterford in his house with the threat of a weapon? And what was June's body count this year? At least 2 more people because she makes terrible decisions or puts people needlessly at risk, not to mention orphaning a little boy and forcing his mother to be a future rape victim. I agree with above, there are too many plot points that just get dropped. I just don't know if we can sign up for another season of June almost getting away, getting caught, getting sent home with no consequences, Serena being decent then back to awful. It just seems to be a show spinning its wheels and it's only season 2.