Air Force @ Texas Mid-week Series Thread

zlavydra

6 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

…and I thought we just played bad on the road.

Fool me once, shame on Pierce

Fool me twice, shame on me.

Pierce ain’t the guy.

Turn out the lights when you leave.

Dude we are not anywhere close to proving that yet.

• Hook 'Em 1

Pierce said postgame the foul ball that hit Sean Allen "knocked him out" (Pierce's words).   Taken to hospital for scan for possible facial bone fracture.   Not sure.

Blamed pitching, walks, location.

Would like to see Sean Allen make all the mound visits.    Seems to relax the pitcher.   This pitching staff needs confidence,  needs to know they are trusted.   

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Pierce blew the Thursday game last week but Pierce isn't on the mound failing to locate or doing his best special Olympics impression at the plate. 

Pierce is continually throwing Eckhardt, Duplantier, and Blair out there every week when they continually prove that they can't play at this level. I get it, we play 2 games against Air Force so you are just throwing bodies at this point. That being said it seems to be a theme where he seems to put personal relationships ahead of talent and ability (just my two cents from the outside looking in) because there really is no other explanation as to why Lebarron or Jared have not gotten a midweek start, yet Andre and Justin seem to get endless opportunities at the expense of the team.

You always want a player led team, but not all are and sometimes you need a coach to step in and fill that gap when your best players aren't the most vocal and I doubt Pierce's ability to step in and fill that role like an Augie could.

Not saying he needs to be fired by any means, this team can still accomplish something if Pierce would let it get healthy, no reason to play Eric until the postseason. Pete, Tristan (if he turns it around), and Lucas with our lineup could still get us to Omaha if they are clicking. The pitching depth during the week is going to make the road to Omaha much tougher because this team will be extremely lucky to host at this point.

not surprised and this shouldn't be a surprise.  everyone was all "this team is awesome, the hitting is great, our starting pitching is fabulous, we're #1".  I thought they were a good team because the hitting is decent and having 3 above average starters.  good enough in a weak Big 12 to host a regional. Then Witt went down, then Kennedy goes down, Daly sucks ass all year, Faltine is K machine, Hodo is meh.

we put basically zero pressure on the other team without Kennedy, Antico and Daly hitting .350. 

Pierce is a disaster coaching 3rd and our baserunning is again 14u level.

of course the biggest problem was always going to be pitching, it's gotten worse not better, unfortunately.

#2 seed somewhere unless something changes drastically.  Pierce has 2 CWS trips in 4 years.  he's gonna miss this year but it happens.  He better get his shit together pretty quick on the pitching side though or the SEC will eat his ass alive.

2 minutes ago, chase25 said:

Pierce is continually throwing Eckhardt, Duplantier, and Blair out there every week

He really isn't though. Dre didn't see the mound for at least a couple weeks and I feel like it was longer. I wouldn't say LeBarron has been great or even good either. Also he may be seeing things in practice that we aren't. 

Not saying his decisions on who to throw when are perfect but he's honestly working with a bunch of chicken shit right now. We can't even get a good start out of Stevens. 

5 minutes ago, chase25 said:

Pierce is continually throwing Eckhardt, Duplantier, and Blair out there every week when they continually prove that they can't play at this level. I get it, we play 2 games against Air Force so you are just throwing bodies at this point. That being said it seems to be a theme where he seems to put personal relationships ahead of talent and ability (just my two cents from the outside looking in) because there really is no other explanation as to why Lebarron or Jared have not gotten a midweek start, yet Andre and Justin seem to get endless opportunities at the expense of the team.

You always want a player led team, but not all are and sometimes you need a coach to step in and fill that gap when your best players aren't the most vocal and I doubt Pierce's ability to step in and fill that role like an Augie could.

Not saying he needs to be fired by any means, this team can still accomplish something if Pierce would let it get healthy, no reason to play Eric until the postseason. Pete, Tristan (if he turns it around), and Lucas with our lineup could still get us to Omaha if they are clicking. The pitching depth during the week is going to make the road to Omaha much tougher because this team will be extremely lucky to host at this point.

I'd be ecstatic if this team wins a regional.  they just aren't a top 15 type team.

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

He really isn't though. Dre didn't see the mound for at least a couple weeks and I feel like it was longer. I wouldn't say LeBarron has been great or even good either. Also he may be seeing things in practice that we aren't. 

Not saying his decisions on who to throw when are perfect but he's honestly working with a bunch of chicken shit right now. We can't even get a good start out of Stevens. 

Witt was a loss for sure but it shouldn't be this fucking bad and that is on him.

Just now, ztejas said:

Justin Eckhardt: 24.1 IP, 1.56 WHIP, 7.03 ERA, 21 Ks, 9 BBs, .299 AVG against

Andre Duplantier: 20.1 IP, 1.38, 6.64 ERA, 15 Ks, 10 BBs, .234 AVG against

10 starts combined and 44.2 innings.

Jared Southard: 14 IP, 1.29 WHIP, 4.50 ERA, 19 Ks, 9 BBs, .180 AVG against (more than half his earned runs came off a GS against A&M where he was honestly getting fucked by the UMP on several calls)

Lebarron Johnson Jr: 8.2 IP, 1.27 WHIP, 3.12 ERA, 11 Ks, 5 BBs, .188 AVG against

0 starts combined and 22.2 innings. 

He did this with Kameron Fields in 2019 although that year you could actually make the argument there was no other option. 

There is on reason we shouldn't be using the midweek games to develop guys with swing a miss stuff. Lebarron is probably the most comparable pitcher to Ty Madden on our staff. He has a similar fastball, the slider still need some work. 

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I'd be ecstatic if this team wins a regional.  they just aren't a top 15 type team.

Right now a "woe is me" sit around and feel sorry for ourselves energy has definitely seemed to have taken over this team. That being said (and I know we just lost 2/3 to Kansas State) the weekend version of this team if playing there best can still make some noise. The depth; however, is going to make that road much more difficult.

We'd be in a lot better shape with Witt on Sunday's and Gordon on Tuesday's but I guess it just wasn't in the cards.

12 minutes ago, chase25 said:

Jared Southard: 14 IP, 1.29 WHIP, 4.50 ERA, 19 Ks, 9 BBs, .180 AVG against (more than half his earned runs came off a GS against A&M where he was honestly getting fucked by the UMP on several calls)

Lebarron Johnson Jr: 8.2 IP, 1.27 WHIP, 3.12 ERA, 11 Ks, 5 BBs, .188 AVG against

He did this with Kameron Fields in 2019 although that year you could actually make the argument there was no other option. 

There is on reason we shouldn't be using the midweek games to develop guys with swing a miss stuff. Lebarron is probably the most comparable pitcher to Ty Madden on our staff. He has a similar fastball, the slider still need some work. 

I agree with throwing Southard above those guys. But Pierce had Dre riding the pine for quite awhile (someone can correct me here if I'm wrong). I think a lot of his innings were earlier in the year. We just don't have the luxury of not trying to find something with basically anyone at this point. And with 5 games in a week some shitty dudes are going to throw innings midweek. It's unavoidable. 

Are those stats from after this game or before? 

7 hours ago, chase25 said:

Agreed. Yeah the eckhardt experiment has to end. This guy can't start again for us this year and his relief appearances need to be incredibly short leashed. He's either walking guys or throwing meat.

Duplantier just isn't where he was prior to the UCL injury. Not sure if it's mental or physical but he went from a closer type guy to blow-out-only middle reliever

Edited by B00M

Bottom line, I don't think this team/these players have the "skins on the wall," to overcome some of the things that have happened this season.

There's old-timers that have spent about half their time losing, and newer, short-timers that maybe haven't figured out how to win consistently, getting a little too ate up with the name on the front.

Seems like we haven't "built" anything yet.  You had a 2018 CWS appearance, two years of blech (one horrid, one cut short), then an improbable deep run last year.  Seems in the past we kind of ramped up to more consistent success.

Like, I think we were ramping up 2017-2018, but then 2019 happened and 2020 disrupted some continuity.

I don't know wtf is wrong with the pitching staff though.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, dcar00 said:

Witt was a loss for sure but it shouldn't be this fucking bad and that is on him.

This team was going nowhere fast even with Witt at 100%.  There are deep, deep issues with this iteration of the Horns.

‘A lot of knowledgeable people on this board saw those issues, but many in that group just didn’t want to believe their eyes and Jedi Mindtricked themselves into thinking that the ship would get righted any day now.  

If you’re still doing that, man, there’s some more disappointment headed your way I’m afraid.

Edited by Cajun

You don’t start Southard on Tuesdays. He’s a weekend setup guy. I probably wouldn’t use Harrison mid week either. On the pitching staff, we’ve done a poor job of letting guys settle in. Eckhardt has an easy release for mid-90s. That’s probably why he’s gotten so many chances. Probably ought to give him an inning at a time and crank it up to 98. Just bring it. Something is not working if you’ve got 4 guys that can hit 97-98, and you can’t find productive roles for 3, if not all 4.

Certain guys need rest. Other guys need playing time. No idea why that didn’t happen on Tuesday. Unlikely it happens tonight.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Let's see what he says next week....    I'm used to crashes like this with football and especially basketball during the later Barnes years when we hit Big 12 play....  But dang this is hard to watch with baseball.   You just don't lose the way we've been losing against the likes of Air Force or K fricken State without something being not quite right behind the scenes.  We've lost three fricken games and ugly in the last week  which might be the difference when all is said and done between us hosting a regional and taking a road trip to San Marcos.   Or forbid Collie Station.    

10 hours ago, chase25 said:

Right now a "woe is me" sit around and feel sorry for ourselves energy has definitely seemed to have taken over this team. That being said (and I know we just lost 2/3 to Kansas State) the weekend version of this team if playing there best can still make some noise. The depth; however, is going to make that road much more difficult.

We'd be in a lot better shape with Witt on Sunday's and Gordon on Tuesday's but I guess it just wasn't in the cards.

Witt would have been the Saturday starter by now,  I thought the hitting might be able to overcome the pitching. They can sometimes but no consistency.   just think where we'd be without the miracle comeback against dirt burglar.

My guess is there is also a lack of leadership on the team.  Zubia and Anitco were probably pretty good with that.  Faltine doesn't seem much like a leader.  maybe Silas?  the Kennedy and Witt combo loss has hurt a ton.

The reality is Pierce better pick up the pace if no one is going to step up.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Cajun said:

Not with our pen.  We really have very little potential imo.

Our starting pitching hasn't been there either and it should have been. The offense can be great but then it takes long periods off, which granted is probably normal for offenses in baseball as they go hot and cold. But really? Against K-State and Air Force?

Sure having a weak middle relief would have been a problem but it hardly starts or ends there how things are going currently.

1 hour ago, Had Enough said:

You don’t start Southard on Tuesdays. He’s a weekend setup guy. I probably wouldn’t use Harrison mid week either. On the pitching staff, we’ve done a poor job of letting guys settle in. Eckhardt has an easy release for mid-90s. That’s probably why he’s gotten so many chances. Probably ought to give him an inning at a time and crank it up to 98. Just bring it. Something is not working if you’ve got 4 guys that can hit 97-98, and you can’t find productive roles for 3, if not all 4.

Certain guys need rest. Other guys need playing time. No idea why that didn’t happen on Tuesday. Unlikely it happens tonight.

Silas particularly needs some rest.    A few pitches he has failed to block, throws to second don't have his normal pop and accuracy.   On defense he doesn't seem to have his normal energy.    Rest won't happen today without a substantial lead because we need this game.

Pierce's modus operandi has been to go all in to win midweek games which can limit rest/development.   Good point above by @dcar00 about leadership.  No one seems to have that Kody Clemens personality.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, B00M said:

Agreed. Yeah the eckhardt experiment has to end. This guy can't start again for us this year and his relief appearances need to be incredibly short leashed. He's either walking guys or throwing meat.

Duplantier just isn't where he was prior to the UCL injury. Not sure if it's mental or physical but he went from a closer type guy to blow-out-only middle reliever

Where Josh Stewart been? Could’ve swore he was being hyped as at least our Tuesday guy

2 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Let's see what he says next week....    I'm used to crashes like this with football and especially basketball during the later Barnes years when we hit Big 12 play....  But dang this is hard to watch with baseball.   You just don't lose the way we've been losing against the likes of Air Force or K fricken State without something being not quite right behind the scenes.  We've lost three fricken games and ugly in the last week  which might be the difference when all is said and done between us hosting a regional and taking a road trip to San Marcos.   Or forbid Collie Station.    

Eh tech lost to New Mexico last night and Grand Canyon twice last week. Okie state lost to ORU last night. Auburn lost to jax state all during mid week games. Tuesday gsmes are kind of a crap shoot. Besides Harrison, LBJ and Cobb, the pitchers we used last night won’t pitch come regional or the okie state or West Virginia. 

27 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Our starting pitching hasn't been there either and it should have been. The offense can be great but then it takes long periods off, which granted is probably normal for offenses in baseball as they go hot and cold. But really? Against K-State and Air Force?

Sure having a weak middle relief would have been a problem but it hardly starts or ends there how things are going currently.

Oh, it may not end there, but definitely starts there.  The butterfly effect of a weak pen is enormous.

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Seems like we haven't "built" anything yet.  You had a 2018 CWS appearance, two years of blech (one horrid, one cut short), then an improbable deep run last year.  Seems in the past we kind of ramped up to more consistent success.

That 2020 team had the chance to do some really really good things. I believe we were 14-3 when the season was halted. Elder, Madden, Hansen in the rotation with Duplantier in the pen who looked dominant. Stevens, Quintanilla, Donny Diaz also in the pen. 

In reality, it’s been 1 decent year (2017), 2 awesome years (2018 and 2021), one year that would have probably been pretty good (2020), one horrid year (2019) and this year obviously is TBD. 

For me, the toughest pill to swallow is that this was The Year. We are losing so many guys off this years team and next year was already setting up to be somewhat of a rebuilding year anyway.

Look, I like Pierce. I know a few guys who have played for him and have gotten some insight. He is respected, recruits well and has developed some nice pieces. He has pushed a lot of the right buttons throughout his tenure. I also realize the expectations and standards of this program and if he bows out in a regional this year and follows that up with a dud next year, there is going to be a lot of deserved criticism and his seat will rightfully be warm.

Edited by Hookem2147

17 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Where Josh Stewart been? Could’ve swore he was being hyped as at least our Tuesday guy

Eh tech lost to New Mexico last night and Grand Canyon twice last week. Okie state lost to ORU last night. Auburn lost to jax state all during mid week games. Tuesday gsmes are kind of a crap shoot. Besides Harrison, LBJ and Cobb, the pitchers we used last night won’t pitch come regional or the okie state or West Virginia. 

I get the mid game week thing and all that jazz...   I hope you are right!

Silas particularly needs some rest.    A few pitches he has failed to block, throws to second don't have his normal pop and accuracy.   On defense he doesn't seem to have his normal energy.    Rest won't happen today without a substantial lead because we need this game.
Pierce's modus operandi has been to go all in to win midweek games which can limit rest/development.   Good point above by [mention=2596]dcar00[/mention] about leadership.  No one seems to have that Kody Clemens personality.

Yep.

The only counter I have is that I’d sacrifice this game for the longer term. I’d also assume the guys on the bench have a little something or they wouldn’t be here. Melendez got his rest so he can go. He might even carry you. Silas, Faltine, probably Hodo, and Daly would be well served getting some time off. Stehly for that matter could use a reset too. But that’s not how Pierce typically operates.

4 hours ago, Cajun said:

This team was going nowhere fast even with Witt at 100%.  There are deep, deep issues with this iteration of the Horns.

‘A lot of knowledgeable people on this board saw those issues, but many in that group just didn’t want to believe their eyes and Jedi Mindtricked themselves into thinking that the ship would get righted any day now.  

If you’re still doing that, man, there’s some more disappointment headed your way I’m afraid.

You say that but we had many of these same guys last year. We just figured out how not to use them. If we still had Witt that would be a little bit easier.

1 hour ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I get the mid game week thing and all that jazz...   I hope you are right!

I’m always right 😎

But no yeah Pierce always has his teams playing their best ball come May. Stevens is putting it back together. Gordon keeps getting better and better. Hansen is Hansen. Harrison is a stud. Nixon looked good against k state. Let’s sweep the just skinners 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Except Augie had the skins to command respect of the team.  I don’t know how anyone can take Pierce seriously …

Lulz, there’s only a few college coaches that command the respect Augie did. Pierce has been to CWS twice now, with last years team having the majority of its starter here for ‘21. So you’re telling me all those guys lost respect for him that quickly? Pierce has his faults but get out of of here with the players don’t respect him. Total bullshit. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

You say that but we had many of these same guys last year. We just figured out how not to use them. If we still had Witt that would be a little bit easier.

Little bit doesn’t get the goose my man.  

And, as I’ve said before, these guys are DEvolving, not Evolving.  

#Coaching

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Little bit doesn’t get the goose my man.  

And, as I’ve said before, these guys are DEvolving, not Evolving.  

#Coaching

With Witt we’d be able to use Gordon out of the pen the let Gordon give us 3 on Wednesday. He looked pretty solid coming out of the pen earlier in the year. Gordon, Harrison, Cobb and Nixon seems to be coming back would be a filthy pen. Still think we’re gonna be fine this time next month 

Anyone else kinda want O’Dowd to get he nod at 2nd? Daly has been not so great at the plate 

3 minutes ago, Horny Bull said:

Sthele gets a tryout as a starter:

Shit. Was hoping for Stewart. And did we really reinjure Kennedy in a useless Tuesday game? Hopefully it’s just precautionary. We really need him against the rest of the conference slate 

I'm sure Pierce gets enough respect with the team.  this is generally a jimmies and joes deal on the pitching staff but it's Pierce's job to get them.

sans a few games this team is anti-clutch IMO.  the most worrisome thing is our starters getting blasted early and often in the 3 weeks.  our hitters start to press and it snowballs.

they really need to take this game and sweep Baylor to get back on track.

I'm on the fence on Sthele starting tonight On the one hand, he's one of the few guys who can sort of be counted on to get guys out in conference games. On the other hand, someone has to step up as a 4th starter. Might as well be him after Eckhardt failed miserably after repeated opportunities.

I personally loathe it how pierce more often than not goes out to get a pitcher that is struggling and takes the ball and doesn’t say shit to him. The guy is doing the best he can, if he can’t do the job then who’s fault is that and who put him in the game in the first place?  Show some compassion and leadership, say something quick in the moment other than give me the ball. 

We’ve seen Pierce look more frustrated this year towards the pitching staff than previous years. He not trying to hide it either I.e. the Southard moment. Most of the staff is young/inexperienced or simply just don’t have the stuff to compete. But there are a couple of guys who should be picking up the slack but can’t even throw strikes consistently. 

I think we can all agree that we overestimated the bullpens ability before the season started. It turned out they were walking on a tight rope and was one injury and a couple guys not taking the next step away from being a disaster. It sucks but it is what it is at this point. There’s still no excuse to be lit up by Air Force tho.