CNN+ to shut down after a month

Nice Guy Eddie

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/21/media/cnn-shutting-down/index.html

I subscribed because it only cost a couple of bucks to see how it was. I found the service to be completely confusing.

• you don't get online access to regular CNN
  • they put hosts like Cooper and Tapper in weird roles. Does anyone really want to watch Tapper's book club?
  • They downplayed Chris Wallace. I actually struggled to even find his show. I finally found the thumbnail for his show with tiny lettering of his name, and a view of the back of his head.

I understand they that claim to have spent 100s of millions getting this off the ground. I seriously don't understand how they spent anywhere near that amount. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

Wow, didn't see that one coming.  I mean, why pay for a news service that is already free and is practically dead in the news ratings?

They will disappoint their dozens of subscribers.  

I don't think CNN is really free but I get your point. Many cord-cutters don't have CNN tv access except for small ad-supported clips on cnn.com.

If you want to charge for your "+" service you have to create compelling reasons on why people should switch. I'm far from an expert, but I would have initially given away CNN+ for free and start with a handful of original programming that doesn't cost much to produce. It's not like CNN doesn't have large production ability.  Have more of an insider view. When Anderson leaves his CNN program, have him jump on a CNN+ interactive show with viewers. Answer questions, give more opinions, etc.

It also didn't help that they tripped out of the gate and had new owners one week later. It was an easy call for the new owners to shut it down now.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

I understand your reference, but I still think more of this:

image.png.a9198308f8d348caa6eeef20d27b0b4c.png

image.thumb.png.bd3b5bfa73993beff25cce47fb8f9703.png

Dumbest ideas since New Coke. Planned in the heady days of idiot/sexual abuser Jeff Zucker's higher ratings 2-3 years ago. But news network streaming is success-proof, and today CNN couldn't draw enough people to occupy a Yugo.

Throwing the fact that streaming itself is about to take a huge dump because people are sick of paying five different accounts for crap they never watch, just like cable in the last cycle. Netflix out front should have told ya, and Disney+ is at its peak according to a number of market analysts I've seen lately.

Couldn't have happened to a more appropriate bunch of idiots.

I always liked those Nikes. They should reincarnate them

• Drool 1

9 minutes ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

That was my first thought sitting through another meeting with McKinsey 20-year-old morons.

Been through many as well.  Curious to see now that Chris Licht is in what changes are going to be made beyond this?  

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

I always liked those Nikes. They should reincarnate them

If Warner Bros/Discovery can steer it back to actual news if they have indicated, CNN itself might actually have a chance to last a little longer than those Nikes as well.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

If Warner Bros/Discovery can steer it back to actual news if they have indicated, CNN itself might actually have a chance to last a little longer than those Nikes as well.

I doubt it. What market is there for straight news instead of opinion shows?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Yeah, too many streaming options today.  Some make sense.  This was stupid.

All they had to do was keep it simple.

Livestream the following:

• Headline News
  • CNN
  • CNN International
  • CNN en Español
  • Headline News/HLN (but ditch the true-crime shit in the off hours and just run headline news 24/7).

Have archives of the following available for streaming

• All of their documentaries over the years
  • Select news coverage of past events (Challenger explosion, OJ chase, 9/11, Desert Storm, etc.) - Basically give us a shit-ton of the actual coverage of those events, as it would be of interest to a lot of people.
  • All of their shows (like Anthony Bourdain, etc.)
  • Maybe a few (new) additional experimental shows that do deep dives on various current topics

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

I doubt it. What market is there for straight news instead of opinion shows?

Well, if your metric of opinon shows is a baseline, not much at all.  Most of those channels can't get a million at night.  Reruns of F-Troop are doing better.

Outside of live coverage of an important current event, you couldn't pay me to watch cable news.   I can't fathom these idiots actually thought someone would pay to stream more of it.  Yeah, as noted earlier, the streaming bubble is about to pop.  

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, Skipper said:

Outside of live coverage of an important current event, you couldn't pay me to watch cable news.   I can't fathom these idiots actually thought someone would pay to stream more of it.  Yeah, as noted earlier, the streaming bubble is about to pop.  

Gets news and opinion from Surly

• Hook 'Em 3

42 minutes ago, Skipper said:

This is even more idiotic that Xerox, who knew the digital camera was the future, and tried to hide their invention from the public, knowing it would put them out of business.  

This will be tale told to business students for generations about leadership gone wrong.  This is easily one of the biggest media failures of all time that was about as predictable as the sun coming up tomorrow.  Over a billion over four years?  This is weapons-grade stupidity

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

• Headline News
  • CNN
  • CNN International
  • CNN en Español
  • Headline News/HLN (but ditch the true-crime shit in the off hours and just run headline news 24/7).

Not allowed under their cable contracts.  

(For those that don't know the story:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/13615202/rex-chapman-pleads-guilty-apple-store-shoplifting-case

Chapman was arrested and charged with shoplifting $14,000 worth of merchandise from an Apple store in Scottsdale and then selling the items at a pawn shop)

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Haha 1

There's about a million "news" sources on the internet, aligned with whatever political affiliation you have, free for you to consume at your pace and at your convenience. 

Thinking people will pay money to have others bark opinions at them around the clock is some next-level retardation.

• Hook 'Em 4

27 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

This is even more idiotic that Xerox, who knew the digital camera was the future, and tried to hide their invention from the public, knowing it would put them out of business.  

This will be tale told to business students for generations about leadership gone wrong.  This is easily one of the biggest media failures of all time that was about as predictable as the sun coming up tomorrow.  Over a billion over four years?  This is weapons-grade stupidity

Wasn't it Kodak, and it did not want to cannibalize its lucrative film development and related chemicals business?

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

There's about a million "news" sources on the internet, aligned with whatever political affiliation you have, free for you to consume at your pace and at your convenience. 

Thinking people will pay money to have others bark opinions at them around the clock is some next-level retardation.

Legacy media as we know it is rapidly dying and they know it.  As stated, there is so much content that is attracting viewers by the millions that this was an attempt to try and capture some of this momentum.  Problem is, they tried to use decades old tactics to try and break into a market that is changing and evolving by the day.  

7 minutes ago, Underdog said:

CNN hasn’t been worth a damn once Kathleen Sullivan left and when Nick Charles(RIP, Nick)/Fred Hickman went off air. 

Headline News was CNN's high points:

lynnrussell.jpg

RobinMeade2016-2.jpg

Edited by clapclapclap
Mandatory full disclosure: I wudda married Lynne Russell, but HLN wouldn't give me her phone number or address....
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 2

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

• Headline News
  • CNN
  • CNN International
  • CNN en Español

Have archives of the following available for streaming

• All of their documentaries over the years
  • Select news coverage of past events (Challenger explosion, OJ chase, 9/11, Desert Storm, etc.) - Basically give us a shit-ton of the actual coverage of those events, as it would be of interest to a lot of people.
  • All of their shows (like Anthony Bourdain, etc.)
  • Maybe a few (new) additional experimental shows that do deep dives on various current topics

And I get that they couldn't do that.  But honestly--that might be something that I would pay a couple bucks a month for.

8 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

What channel is this?  Dayum.  

When I am traveling for work, and turn the hotel room TV on as I get ready in the morning, it's always on CNN HLN, because I get to hang out with the lovely Robin Meade, and get super-high-level takes on the big news of the day, as well as weather and travel delay forecasts.  And Robin.  We get to hang out together.  Because she's nice.

• Hook 'Em 1