Stanford

UCLA

Cal

Northwest pod

Washington

Oregon

Washington State

Oregon State

9 regular season conference matchups in a 3+2+2+2 configuration.

The pod champions play in a 4 team playoff to determine the conference champion.

Of course the SEC, Big 10, and ACC would all need to also go to a 16 team conference with four, 4 team pods with the same conference champion playoff to make it work.

Then the four conference champions would of course have the 4 team playoff to determine the National Championship.

With 3 OCC games, 9 conference matchups, and the maximum of 4 playoff games you're still only looking at 16 games in a season which I believe is reasonable.

I believe this would be an ideal setup, and be freaking awesome!

Just not interested in this at all really.  The PAC is dreadful. Wanting to join the SEC does not make me an aggy.  I am fan of football, that's all.  The only thing remotely interesting in the PAC is the scenery.  We punked the dog shit out of Utah which was one win from the playoff.... frauds.

Late night games are a non starter.  Late night flights from the West coast are DOA.

Edited by 2300 Nueces

1 hour ago, 2300 Nueces said:

Just not interested in this at all really.  The PAC is dreadful. Wanting to join the SEC does not make me an aggy.  I am fan of football, that's all.  The only thing remotely interesting in the PAC is the scenery.  We punked the dog shit out of Utah which was one win from the playoff.... frauds.

Late night games are a non starter.  Late night flights from the West coast are DOA.

We punked the dog shit out of SEC Georgia which was one win from the playoff.  Frauds too?

• Like 2

PAC 16 is our future.
Texoma pod
Texas
Oklahoma
Texas Tech
Oklahoma State
Mountain West pod
Colorado
Arizona
Utah
Arizona State
California pod
USC
Stanford
UCLA
Cal
Northwest pod
Washington
Oregon
Washington State
Oregon State

The pod champions play in a 4 team playoff to determine the conference champion.
Of course the SEC, Big 10, and ACC would all need to also go to a 16 team conference with four, 4 team pods with the same conference champion playoff to make it work.
Then the four conference champions would of course have the 4 team playoff to determine the National Championship.
With 3 OCC games, 9 conference matchups, and the maximum of 4 playoff games you're still only looking at 16 games in a season which I believe is reasonable.

The Pod concept has been beaten to death...fuck you and fuck your pods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

4 hours ago, Somnio said:

I think adding Texas and Oklahoma, along with Tech and Okie State would help sort out those issues.

Texas and OU earn way, way more than the PAC schools. I don't think adding two great programs and two decent programs to a financially struggling 12 = current UT/ OU payouts for the entire 16.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, David Dennison said:

We aren't joining the Pac 12.

Agreed, financial reason lacking for Oklahoma or Texas to join the current 12 member PAC...
Note, PAC (2024) & XII (2025) GoR's end at nearly the same time, forming a "best of" league:

Let's build the new league from scratch where Disney holds all 3rd tier rights to members...
As is, ESPN has control of 9 out of 10 XII member's 3rd tier rights, (Oklahoma w/ Sinclair)...

Why would ESPN place Texas to ACC, risk losing Oklahoma to B1G, as prime sports content..?
Disney has to be looking at this from the angle of how to facilitate adding OU & raiding USC...

In building a league that A) can pay similar to SEC & B1G/ 2) keeps UT/OU, brings USC/UCLA:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D8nRIiWW4AERxgL?format=jpg&name=medium

A list of 16 member schools can be in same league that gives familiarity & massive footprint:

Texas Longhorns - Adds AAU state flagship/ *(part of) 28.9 million residents in state...
Texas Tech Red Raiders - Adds state public/ *(part of) 28.9 million residents in state...
TCU Horned Frogs - Adds state private/ *(part of) 28.9 million residents in state...
Oklahoma Sooners - Adds state flagship/ *(part of) 3.9 million residents in state...
Oklahoma State Cowboys - Adds state public/ *(part of) 3.9 million residents in state...
Kansas Jayhawks - Adds AAU state flagship/ 2.9 million residents in state...
Colorado Buffaloes - Adds AAU state flagship/ 5.7 million residents in state...
Utah Utes - Adds AAU state flagship/ 3.2 million residents in state...
Arizona Wildcats - Adds AAU state flagship/ 7.2 million residents in state...
California Golden Bears - Adds AAU state flagship/ *(part of) 39.5 million residents in state...
UCLA Bruins - Adds AAU public/ *(part of) 39.5 million residents in state...
USC Trojans - Adds AAU private/ *(part of) 39.5 million residents in state...
Stanford Cardinal - Adds AAU private/ *(part of) 39.5 million residents in state...
Oregon Ducks - Adds AAU state flagship/ 4.2 million residents in state...
Washington Huskies - Adds AAU state flagship/ 7.6 million residents in state...

#16 goes to Iowa State (AAU program) or Arizona State (in Phoenix metro) or Kansas State...
Two "wildcard" options are adding Houston or Rice at #16, giving California & Texas 4 teams...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EI90hBaXYAkvzX0?format=jpg&name=large

The largest cities in league hold 27 of top 50 largest cities in US, & all with population growth...

The population of new league footprint near #'s of ACC/B1G/SEC at 103.1 m. *(106.2 w/ ISU)...
Disney works with XII before end of GoR's 2025, raid PAC at end of GoR's, 2024 form new league...

But UT & OU to current PAC [#5 in revenue], makes as much sense as joining ACC [#4 in revenue]...

Edited by kopp0e

11 hours ago, nunna yo bizness said:

We punked the dog shit out of SEC Georgia which was one win from the playoff.  Frauds too?

Texas was an unranked team with 5 losses in 2019 going into the bowl season.  One of those losses was to TCU.  Utah almost made the playoff from the PAC because of their record against other PAC teams which is fraudulent and overrated.  Texas exposed the PAC as being extremely weak by whipping Utah.  As for Texas beating Georgia, Texas had a ranked, 3 loss, and much better team in 2018 than 2019.  The PAC is very weak and it would be a huge mistake to join that conference.

Edited by 2300 Nueces

14 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

Texas to ACC..?

How SEC is separating itself from both ACC/ PAC current leagues in earnings:

By 2023, SEC pay $66 million (at least)/ PAC will earn a whopping $38 million...

Past -
[TWITTER]936109993367027712[/TWITTER]
Present - 
[TWITTER]1215733736441970688[/TWITTER]

SEC is the way.  Going to have to eat some crow and join if we want to have a successful football program.  Who would you rather play, ou, piggy, gomer, lsu or utah, asu, au, etc...... every year?  I know who the older alumni would rather play ,but if we let our Shaka loving admin decide,  they'll go with the easy path and assume we get wins against the easy PAC teams. At the same time, we will be sinking lower in the revenue race while not having to be held accountable for losing to the teams in the SEC mentioned above.  Get tough or die Texas.

Edited by 2300 Nueces
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, SunUvAbitchMarcos said:

The Pod concept has been beaten to death...fuck you and fuck your pods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wait, I get not wanting to go the Pac12, but what the hell is wrong with a pod setup?  In my opinion it's the only way you can have decent scheduling in a 16 team league.

Oh, and fuck you too bitch!

1 minute ago, Somnio said:

Wait, I get not wanting to go the Pac12, but what the hell is wrong with a pod setup?  In my opinion it's the only way you can have decent scheduling in a 16 team league.

Oh, and fuck you too bitch!

Some people tire of the talk with nothing happening.  Don't let it bother you.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2020 at 9:20 AM, LTbear said:

I love how you backed this up with relevant data. 

I can if you'd like.  

On 1/9/2020 at 10:34 AM, gmr548 said:

In no world is the PAC taking four subpar academic institutions that are second tier athletically, academically, and in terms of brand/alum reach in their own states, let alone nationally. That'd do nothing for them in terms of national relevance while watering down the academic/cultural brand that they do seem to value. Especially with one having the added private religious school angle. If Texas and OU wanted to go west I'm sure they'd get to bring some partners, but those four aren't getting picked up on their own.

Also, from what I understand about the admin at the Oklahoma schools, they aren't separating.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

This.   They would have added BYU already had it not been for the Pac-12's anti-religious bigotry.  If they didn't add BYU, they certainly aren't adding TCU, Baylor or even Notre Dame.  

38 minutes ago, TeddyBearStallion said:

I can if you'd like.  

This.   They would have added BYU already had it not been for the Pac-12's anti-religious bigotry.  If they didn't add BYU, they certainly aren't adding TCU, Baylor or even Notre Dame.  

The PAC is facing the dustbin of history.  Results matter, intentions don't.  The PAC is quickly becoming the WAC financially and competitively.  If Apple or Amazon fail to break the piggy bank, they won't be in the position to dictate anything.

Edited by 2300 Nueces

17 hours ago, Somnio said:

PAC 16 is our future.

Texoma pod

Texas

Oklahoma

Texas Tech

Oklahoma State

Mountain West pod

Colorado

Arizona

Utah

Arizona State

California pod

USC

Stanford

UCLA

Cal

Northwest pod

Washington

Oregon

Washington State

Oregon State

Pods have become a running joke on here, but I've always liked this setup. On a grander scale, I think realignment's endgame should be 4 16 team conferences with 4 pod setups . It would essentially be a 16 team playoff. Each conference hosts a 4 team conference playoff among pod winners, and the conference winners are the 4 team national playoff. And pod scheduling with 3+2+2+2 means everyone plays a 9 team conference schedule, and the rotation ensures that conference mates play each other often enough to feel like an actual conference.  Alas, it'll never be.

• Like 1

This may or may not have already happened but these schools should have a meeting and approach the networks to gauge interest and what kind of revenue this foundation would yield. 

Texas 

Oklahoma

USC

Oregon

Washington

Those schools are large universities with a healthy following. If the money isn't there it's time to look at other options. 

The positivity of aligning with them is you're essentially controlling college football from I-35 to the Pacific Ocean. That is an ass ton of eyeballs. Yes, I realize there's also a lot of people that don't give a shit about college football in those states. However it's also a huge opportunity for growth. When USC is rolling Los Angeles is watching. We've never seen what a school like Arizona State can be since they've never really had an elite season. 

The $ec is a crowded playground and while having Arkansas, Oklahoma, LSU, and aggy on the schedule would be awesome do we risk just being another face in the crowd? 

27 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Pods have become a running joke on here, but I've always liked this setup. On a grander scale, I think realignment's endgame should be 4 16 team conferences with 4 pod setups . It would essentially be a 16 team playoff. Each conference hosts a 4 team conference playoff among pod winners, and the conference winners are the 4 team national playoff. And pod scheduling with 3+2+2+2 means everyone plays a 9 team conference schedule, and the rotation ensures that conference mates play each other often enough to feel like an actual conference.  Alas, it'll never be.

It's pointless to have conferences if you go to a pod model. At that point it'd be more efficient to just set it up like the NFL where there's 64 teams in a league and you're aligned with your 4 team division permanently and just rotate playing other pods/divisions. 

• Like 1

In no way am I interested in the PAC.i love watching Texas football but I’m not going to stay up and watch Texas play at Oregon St when it starts at 9:30. I would have in my younger days but I’m too old for that shit. also, who do you get to play that is interesting in the PAC? USC and... I’d rather join the BIG and play Penn St, Michigan, Ohio St, Nebraska, Michigan State, Wisconsin... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

It's pointless to have conferences if you go to a pod model. At that point it'd be more efficient to just set it up like the NFL where there's 64 teams in a league and you're aligned with your 4 team division permanently and just rotate playing other pods/divisions. 

This.  The pod rotations would need to be regional for obvious reasons. 

On 12/27/2019 at 9:41 AM, TKthunder2 said:

You take the 4 California and 4 Texas/Oklahoma public universities and that probably good enough to secure a CFP bids/bowls from both the PAC12 and/or Big 12 (does the SEC want Baylor in the Sugar or B1G want Utah in the Rose?).  Colorado (with no instate/in conference ties) jumps in because they get both California and Texas exposure which is great for them.  So now you have 9 teams.  Offer Arizona, Oregon and Washington publicly but make it clear that Utah, Kansas and TCU are under consideration.  The in state. public pressure to be in a Power 4 league will beat out local politics.  No one wants to see every university in the state be down graded to a lesser conference so while these states may try to get in both teams ultimately it won’t work.  This new conference could say pat with 9 teams for a while if they had to but the leftovers will either try to merge or add within their footprint but the TV money just won’t be there without California, UT/OU.

Here’s your best of the rest conference (and that’s assuming the B1G or SEC doesn’t grab Kansas or ACC doesn’t grab West Virginia.)

Washington, WSU, Oregon, OrSU, Arizona, ASU, Utah (+maybe Boise St or BYU)

Baylor, TCU, Kansas, K State, Iowa St, West Virginia (+maybe Houston, Memphis, Cincy)

out of the leftover Big 12 school the biggest games was K State v Miss St (OOC) at 1.7m and the biggest conference game was Iowa St v West Virginia at 1.57m.

The leftover PAC12 assuming the 3 pairs of schools united together has some power but still not enough for them to get a major TV contract as they’ve already proven with California and Colorado in tow.  The only way these states will be able to stay in the game is for their flagship schools to join the California schools in the new conference because the SEC’s possible new deal is going to be the measuring stick all conferences will be reviewed against going forward and the PAC12 is the worst off of the Power 5.

If they stand pat the PAC12/Big12 might get a pity bid but it doesn’t take a genius to see that this will turn out similar to the Big East in the early 2000’s and eventually they’ll be left out like the current AAC.

UA-ASU split...not.in.this.lifetime. 

UT or OU joining the PAC makes no sense.  Getting both sides to drop their dead weight will be tough to pull off from an intra-conference politics and state politics standpoint.  Raiding the PAC does make sense potentially.

The Big 12 + Southern Cal and three friends works very well inasmuch as it addresses academics, recruiting footprint, media footprint, Tier 1 inventory, etc.  I think you could do it a lot of different ways but I like this:

North:  OU, OSU, KU, KSU, ISU, CU, WVU/NU

South:  UT, TTU, UA, TCU, BU, UCLA, USC

That's a conference that stands toe to toe with the B1G and SEC in every way.  It's also a conference that doesn't have CTZ schools on the west coast playing super-late games all that often.  The new schools have better eastern media exposure, a more interesting national schedule, and relatively friendly geography since they'd join as a group (as friendly as Texas A&M sharing a conference with South Carolina or Nebraska sharing a conference with Rutgers.)  

Speaking of Corn, Big 12 3.0 could sell NU on a return.  Annual games with OU + heavy recruiting exposure in both TX and CA is their dream scenario.  If they're ever going to be "back" this is how it happens.  And that would give both divisions in that scenario a pair of blue bloods for balance.  The ripple effect of NU joining would probably create for WVU a league that needs to add one team.  

2 minutes ago, camel at sea said:

UT or OU joining the PAC makes no sense.  Getting both sides to drop their dead weight will be tough to pull off from an intra-conference politics and state politics standpoint.  Raiding the PAC does make sense potentially.

The Big 12 + Southern Cal and three friends works very well inasmuch as it addresses academics, recruiting footprint, media footprint, Tier 1 inventory, etc.  I think you could do it a lot of different ways but I like this:

That's a conference that stands toe to toe with the B1G and SEC in every way.  It's also a conference that doesn't have CTZ schools on the west coast playing super-late games all that often.  The new schools have better eastern media exposure, a more interesting national schedule, and relatively friendly geography since they'd join as a group (as friendly as Texas A&M sharing a conference with South Carolina or Nebraska sharing a conference with Rutgers.)  

Speaking of Corn, Big 12 3.0 could sell NU on a return.  Annual games with OU + heavy recruiting exposure in both TX and CA is their dream scenario.  If they're ever going to be "back" this is how it happens.  And that would give both divisions in that scenario a pair of blue bloods for balance.  The ripple effect of NU joining would probably create for WVU a league that needs to add one team.  

Just stop. 

• Like 2

As a fan, B12 > Pac/SECSECSEC >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> B1G > ACC.

I cannot understand why anyone would want to join the B1G or ACC. It's all the cons of the SEC/PAC without any of the benefits. Of course, ultimately, if the B12 can be kept alive as a respectable power conference, that's probably the best outcome.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

As a fan, B12 > Pac/SECSECSEC >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> B1G > ACC.

I cannot understand why anyone would want to join the B1G or ACC. It's all the cons of the SEC/PAC without any of the benefits. Of course, ultimately, if the B12 can be kept alive as a respectable power conference, that's probably the best outcome.

Yeah.  And really I think status quo has a good chance to happen.  The Big 12 will be distributing $45M per member at the end of the current deal.  If taking the entire rights package to market merits a $10M per member bump, then Texas comes out of that at $70M+ per year in the new deal (after also factoring in LHN money.)  OU is probably $65Mish.  That's likely to be in the ballpark enough to keep anyone from moving.  That's also why I think adding to the Big 12 from a position of strength is a more likely outcome than anyone leaving.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Ultimately, if the B12 can be kept alive as a respectable power conference, that's probably the best outcome.

Not. Going. To. Happen.

After Nebraska, Colorado, Missouri, and Texas A&M bolted this conference was a dead man walking.  Only Texas and Oklahoma together in the conference can keep it on life support, but hardly thriving.  When one of them decides to bolt to greener pastures, this bitch is deader than a doornail.  It's only a matter of time, and I hope the powers that be aren't complacent.  I would like to think the next conference affiliation is the last conference affiliation.

13 hours ago, 2300 Nueces said:

SEC is the way.  Going to have to eat some crow and join if we want to have a successful football program.  Who would you rather play, ou, piggy, gomer, lsu or utah, asu, au, etc...... every year?  I know who the older alumni would rather play ,but if we let our Shaka loving admin decide,  they'll go with the easy path and assume we get wins against the easy PAC teams. At the same time, we will be sinking lower in the revenue race while not having to be held accountable for losing to the teams in the SEC mentioned above.  Get tough or die Texas.

Yes

3 hours ago, Somnio said:

Not. Going. To. Happen.

After Nebraska, Colorado, Missouri, and Texas A&M bolted this conference was a dead man walking.  Only Texas and Oklahoma together in the conference can keep it on life support, but hardly thriving.  When one of them decides to bolt to greener pastures, this bitch is deader than a doornail.  It's only a matter of time, and I hope the powers that be aren't complacent.  I would like to think the next conference affiliation is the last conference affiliation.

XII was a dead man walking, but that now falls on the feet of PAC brands... So yes, XII & ESPN can facilitate moving PAC brands in merger...

How ESPN's all-in with the SEC could impact the Pac-12

https://www.mercurynews.com › pac-12-media-strategy-a-worst-case-scena...
10 hours ago - *** ESPN might also move arm-in-arm with the Big 12, because it has a Tier One deal with the conference and owns the Longhorn Network and just signed a football/basketball streaming agreement with the Big 12.

“We appreciate the continued collaboration with our friends at the Big 12 Conference and their commitment to innovation,” Burke Magnus, ESPN executive vice president, said at the time.

“This enhancement to our rights agreement reflects an ongoing desire to give Big 12 fans access to their favorite teams and hundreds of more contests, while embracing the power of technology and the expanded nature of sports consumption with ESPN+.”

When ESPN (reportedly) went to the Pac-12 last fall to cut a deal that would deepen the partnership, the conference took a hard pass.

Both conferences current GoR's end within 1 year of the other, PAC in 2024/ XII in 2025, so there isn't much that can be done legally in move...

Edited by kopp0e

4 hours ago, camel at sea said:

1. NU isn't leaving. 2. Taht conference does not stand toe to toe with the SEC

3 hours ago, closetohumping said:

1. NU isn't leaving. 2. Taht conference does not stand toe to toe with the SEC

1.  A lot of their fans are already unhappy in the B1G.  Watching most of their old adversaries playing games against each other in the recruiting turf they desperately need to pull from?  Of course they'd think about leaving.  The money would be really good and the donors would love that conference.  The academic side isn't going to grip too loudly, either.  The elbow rubbing opportunities would be very good after a move, too.

2.  If you're a prisoner of the moment, it doesn't stack up well.  If you look at it from a 30-50 year perspective, then it does.  Texas, Oklahoma, USC, and Nebraska are all blue bloods.  There are less than 10 "blue bloods" that everyone usually agrees on and all four of those are there.  This hypothetical realignment would probably help all four on the recruiting trail - Nebraska in particular.  Scott Frost just landed back to back Top 20 classes.  Give him help with Texas and CA and they're probably pushing against the blue chip ratio within a few years.   That's a much taller hill to climb in the Big Ten for them.  The SEC (for reference) had five teams above the blue chip ratio this past year.  So it could get competitive as between the two conferences on the recruiting front, too.  

Beyond football, men's basketball probably leans toward the Big 12.  As do Olympic sports.  

13 hours ago, camel at sea said:

No baylor!!

• Like 2

Got damn. You're all overthinking the hell out of this. The smartest thing here is to leave the Big XII and Pac-12 conferences alone (Big XII to add two teams if desired) and form a media partnership with guaranteed cross-conference OOC games. Football only - there is no reason to mess with any other sport. UW cross-country doesn't need to travel to Lubbock nor does Texas VB need to travel to Corvallis.

All this stuff about "move UA and CU to the Big XII" ignores the fact that the two most successful football programs both financially and in terms of fan support outside of LA are UW and UO.

Stop overthinking this. Keep the regional conferences and work together. Take that to Disney or Apple or Amazon and see what they throw at it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, flatdawgs said:

Got damn. You're all overthinking the hell out of this. The smartest thing here is to leave the Big XII and Pac-12 conferences alone (Big XII to add two teams if desired) and form a media partnership with guaranteed cross-conference OOC games. Football only - there is no reason to mess with any other sport. UW cross-country doesn't need to travel to Lubbock nor does Texas VB need to travel to Corvallis.

All this stuff about "move UA and CU to the Big XII" ignores the fact that the two most successful football programs both financially and in terms of fan support outside of LA are UW and UO.

Stop overthinking this. Keep the regional conferences and work together. Take that to Disney or Apple or Amazon and see what they throw at it.

OOC games?  LIke we should be thrilled about the prospects of playing oregon st, wazzu, utah, Cal, AZ?  Texas would be just better at scheduling SC, Oregon, UCLA in the future without a media agreement.

Big 12 should stay as is, unless they can poach a school which makes sense reasonably (and boot out Baylor). Don't want to go to the Rust Belt or the SEC West..

• Like 1

West                           Central

USC                               UT

UCLA                            OU

Washington                 Kansas

Oregon                         TCU

Arizona                        Texas Tech

Arizona State              Baylor

Colorado                      Oklahoma State

Utah                              Kansas State 

Why even do this?  Just to lose Iowa State and West Virginia?  I'm sure Washington State is on board with this plan too.  At least try to make some damn sense.  This thread goes off the fuckin rails every year but this year in particular it's infested with idiocy.

Edited by PhillyD
Not to mention Cal and Stanford
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, PhillyD said:

Why even do this?  Just to lose Iowa State and West Virginia?  I'm sure Washington State is on board with this plan too.  At least try to make some damn sense.  This thread goes off the fuckin rails every year but this year in particular it's infested with idiocy.

West                           Central

USC                              UT

UCLA                           OU

Washington                Kansas

Oregon                        TCU

Stanford                      Texas Tech

Arizona                        Baylor

Cal                                Oklahoma State

Arizona State              Kansas State 

34 minutes ago, hiphopfroggy said:

West                           Central

USC                              UT

UCLA                           OU

Washington                Kansas

Oregon                        TCU

Stanford                      Texas Tech

Arizona                        Baylor

Cal                                Oklahoma State

Arizona State              Kansas State 

FUCK

BAYLOR

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PhillyD said:

Well duh!  Didn't you get the memo, Iowa State and West Virginia are keeping us from 10 wins a season!

On 1/11/2020 at 11:28 AM, RoyalBevo21 said:

I'd be okay with blowing up conferences, but I think there is enough history among conferences to keep the 3+2+2+2 model so that teams within the conference play one another fairly often. Just my opinion anyway. None of this will happen so its all just realignment pron.

Interesting article on attendance and it does apply to conference realignment.  In the business world when demand falls, there tends to be a consolidation or something new bursts onto the scene to replace an old tech..  I think falling demand will be the driver in the new cfb of the 2020's.  I think a consolidation is coming.  The schools that cannot produce the large fan following are going to get left out.  This is a large reason for not adding anyone to the Big 12.  There is no one out there that moves the revenue needle upward.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/01/10/college-football-attendance-decline-ncaa

“If we were to play a more competitive schedule at home, that would cause me to want to go,” Swoops continues. “There’s nothing better than going to see a good game in person.”

This Ohio State kid gets it.  Good matchups are worth seeing, and 70-80% of college games are dogshit matchups for the best teams.  So no one cares.  And $20 may seem like pennies to these schools, but that is a lot of cash to college kids, especially to watch a 50 point blow out against some "who cares" opponent.   

I'm all for consolidation.  Get rid of the bottom half and let them play their own national championship.  Minimize the cupcake games to no more than 2 per team and interest and attendence will go back up.

How many weekends in a season can you look at the whole lineup and say "who cares"?  Definitely more than you should.  The cross sectional LSU / Texas games are very rare but they draw a ton of interest.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, hiphopfroggy said:

West                           Central

USC                               UT

UCLA                            OU

Washington                 Kansas

Oregon                         TCU

Arizona                        Texas Tech

Arizona State              Baylor

Colorado                      Oklahoma State

Utah                              Kansas State 

NO BAYLOR!!!!!!!!

Every year... day... Whatever.

19 hours ago, jinx said:

“If we were to play a more competitive schedule at home, that would cause me to want to go,” Swoops continues. “There’s nothing better than going to see a good game in person.”

This Ohio State kid gets it.  Good matchups are worth seeing, and 70-80% of college games are dogshit matchups for the best teams.  So no one cares.  And $20 may seem like pennies to these schools, but that is a lot of cash to college kids, especially to watch a 50 point blow out against some "who cares" opponent.   

I'm all for consolidation.  Get rid of the bottom half and let them play their own national championship.  Minimize the cupcake games to no more than 2 per team and interest and attendence will go back up.

How many weekends in a season can you look at the whole lineup and say "who cares"?  Definitely more than you should.  The cross sectional LSU / Texas games are very rare but they draw a ton of interest.

That's why I feel Big 12 should stay as is minus fucking Baylor of course.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

That's why I feel Big 12 should stay as is minus fucking Baylor of course.

It is also why the SEC has the right marketing plan.  They have built their image as the best conference and it matters.  The Big 12 and Texas / OU can learn something from that.

I think that the Big 12 just makes the most sense for Texas long term.  If that is the case, we need to improve (obviously) but we also need to help push the Big 12 brand (minus Baylor).

• Like 1