Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

3 hours ago, tonedeaf said:

This looks good and aggy is already there, but I don't think Texas is going to be able to go anywhere and not take a traveling partner.  Anyone but baylor.  Memphis is probably out and Tech/TCU in.  Just my opinion.  But I do like the looks of this.  I was never a big fan of "let's stay put and take the easy road".  The 2005 team could have navigated that schedule with no problem.  

Ole Miss, Miss St, and Memphis don't excite me at all, but playing 0u, aggy, LSU, and Arky does.

That'd be fun!

9 hours ago, DFW Horn said:

Ole Miss, Miss St, and Memphis don't excite me at all, but playing 0u, aggy, LSU, and Arky does.

That'd be fun!

Fuck aggy.  

Count me in the raid the pac for their jewels (no homo (nttiawwt)).  Great games and should be huge payday once the chaff is winnowed from the wheat. 

aggy is chaff.

40 minutes ago, Poolflood said:

Fuck aggy.  

Count me in the raid the pac for their jewels (no homo (nttiawwt)).  Great games and should be huge payday once the chaff is winnowed from the wheat. 

aggy is chaff.

The challenge with raiding the Pac for jewels is the UC system, plus I'd bet the OR and WA state schools are tethered by politics. But, to your point, I'd rank playing USC, UW, and UO higher than playing aggy again. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Poolflood said:

Fuck aggy.  

aggy is chaff.

There's only one jewel in the PAC.  The only question is, how much chaff would they insist on bringing?  That'll make or break any move USC would choose to consider.  For now, the B1G can tolerate adding more fluff than we can.

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

There's only one jewel in the PAC.  The only question is, how much chaff would they insist on bringing?  That'll make or break any move USC would choose to consider.  For now, the B1G can tolerate adding more fluff than we can.

I am not sure this is the case. There has already been some push back towards the BTN by the big cable MSOs with some of them removing it from the line up and some of them no longer paying "in market" rates for states that touch a Big 10 state like New York because of Rutgers. The Big 10 has a shit load of fluff as it is the difference is a lot of them are perfectly OK being that fluff just like with the ACC only unlike the ACC the Big 10 fans will still show up and give financial support to see their team get drilled by the top 2 or 3 teams in the conference. Rutgers, Maryland, Purdue, Indiana, Illinois, Northwestern, Minnesota are all football shit for the most part and are content to be that forever. Iowa, UW, MSU, and now Nebraska for the most part are happy to win 9 games some years and be ranked and to be talked about as a potential division winner (that will get frilled in the CCG) and they will rally around that shit forever or in the case of Nebraska the dream of getting back to that. They are content to let tOSU pretty much be the big dog with Michigan and Penn State always wishing they could knock them off.

It is hard to see that adding more teams willing tom take those positions and to make the schedule that much less of the long time schools playing each others will help them. Nebraska was willing to be in the shit half of the conference especially when they dreamed they would dominate it and Iowa and Minnesota just did not give a shit they were broken into that division (the leaders or legends which ever one it is). UW should have cared, but they just care they can win that division most years and if they get throttled in the CCG they will still get the Rose Bowl some years so they are good with that. In the other division Michigan, MSU, tOSU, and Penn State all stayed together so who gave a fuck after that even if it did mean playing Maryland and Rutgers because that is about like playing Purdue and Illinois anyway so BFD.

If you do something to break up that group there will be an issue and I think there is not going to be a group of teams especially from the west coast (where the PAC12n has proven the meh attitude towards conference networks and college sports) that will bring large numbers of BTN viewers and more importantly large additional revenues when the east coast cable MSOs are already pushing back against the BTN.

I suppose they could try and add 4 schools from the PAC between USC, Stanford, Cal, UW, UCLA, and Oregon and push 2 schools back to the other division (UW and Iowa), but are 4 PAC 12 schools really going to want to be in the Big 10 division with a now really pissed off and shitted on Nebraska, Illinois, Northwestern, Minnesota, and Purdue. and even if they somehow told Iowa and UW to fuck off and stay in that division is that really at all appealing to anyone in the PAC 12 to fly half way across the country to play. And is that division of football remotely appealing to viewers on a regular basis to pay big money to see on TV. FUCK NO!

Let me be clear I am not thinking the Big 12 has a real good chance to land PAC 12 teams, but I think there is more appeal to the PAC 12 teams in some ways and the cost to make it happen is probably much cheaper and easier to make happen.

Ignore the UC system schools for  now and get USC and Stanford to agree in principal. Then see if we can get Washington and Oregon without the States. If that were to happen we would have two more slots left to get to 16 teams and the Big12 just might be able to pick off a blue blood somewhere else in the country. Of course the Arizona pair would always be available.

24 minutes ago, Extra Anejo said:

Ignore the UC system schools for  now and get USC and Stanford to agree in principal. Then see if we can get Washington and Oregon without the States. If that were to happen we would have two more slots left to get to 16 teams and the Big12 just might be able to pick off a blue blood somewhere else in the country. Of course the Arizona pair would always be available.

Fuck Stanford

they were always the ones that were the biggest dicks about UT joining and that was at the end of the SWC and in 2010 and they were dicks about the Arizona schools as well

Fuck them let them rot with the conference they want to control and run into the ground

their football historically has sucked ass and looks like it is headed back in that direction after their historic best run of late, their mens BB is nothing special and baseball is good, but not that great lately and they lack the titles

plus Stanford in some shitty conference would help UT recruiting against them in all the other sports that UT needs help in

• Like 2

Yep..  Bring SC, UCLA, AZ, ASU.  I doubt the current Big 12 breaks up.. 

What's gonna suck is the division making..  If the three Texas schools pair up with those 4 coming from the Pac..Have a feeling ou would bitch and whine.

BTW if indeed no way we'd ever join the SEC mantra is true.. I still would love to add Tulane.

Edited by Thiefery

6 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

What's gonna suck is the division making..  If the three Texas schools pair up with those 4 coming from the Pac..Have a feeling ou would bitch and whine.

BTW if indeed no way we'd ever join the SEC mantra is true.. I still would love to add Tulane.

What about the 4th Texas school?

17 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Tech and Kansas schools go west?  Tech has history with AZ schools, but OU and Texas rivalries( from our perspective) would be missed.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Yeah the division split would suck.. Think the best case scenario would be a new conference with SC and UT headlining it.  Taking 7 members of the current Pac and Big 12 to join them.

My idea:

PXC north -
Washington
Oregon
California
Utah
Colorado
Oklahoma State
Kansas
Iowa State

PXC south -
USC
UCLA
Arizona
Ärizona State
Oklahoma
Texas
Texas Tech
TCU

2 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

I am not sure this is the case. There has already been some push back towards the BTN by the big cable MSOs with some of them removing it from the line up and some of them no longer paying "in market" rates for states that touch a Big 10 state like New York because of Rutgers. The Big 10 has a shit load of fluff as it is the difference is a lot of them are perfectly OK being that fluff just like with the ACC only unlike the ACC the Big 10 fans will still show up and give financial support to see their team get drilled by the top 2 or 3 teams in the conference. Rutgers, Maryland, Purdue, Indiana, Illinois, Northwestern, Minnesota are all football shit for the most part and are content to be that forever. Iowa, UW, MSU, and now Nebraska for the most part are happy to win 9 games some years and be ranked and to be talked about as a potential division winner (that will get frilled in the CCG) and they will rally around that shit forever or in the case of Nebraska the dream of getting back to that. They are content to let tOSU pretty much be the big dog with Michigan and Penn State always wishing they could knock them off.

It is hard to see that adding more teams willing tom take those positions and to make the schedule that much less of the long time schools playing each others will help them. Nebraska was willing to be in the shit half of the conference especially when they dreamed they would dominate it and Iowa and Minnesota just did not give a shit they were broken into that division (the leaders or legends which ever one it is). UW should have cared, but they just care they can win that division most years and if they get throttled in the CCG they will still get the Rose Bowl some years so they are good with that. In the other division Michigan, MSU, tOSU, and Penn State all stayed together so who gave a fuck after that even if it did mean playing Maryland and Rutgers because that is about like playing Purdue and Illinois anyway so BFD.

If you do something to break up that group there will be an issue and I think there is not going to be a group of teams especially from the west coast (where the PAC12n has proven the meh attitude towards conference networks and college sports) that will bring large numbers of BTN viewers and more importantly large additional revenues when the east coast cable MSOs are already pushing back against the BTN.

I suppose they could try and add 4 schools from the PAC between USC, Stanford, Cal, UW, UCLA, and Oregon and push 2 schools back to the other division (UW and Iowa), but are 4 PAC 12 schools really going to want to be in the Big 10 division with a now really pissed off and shitted on Nebraska, Illinois, Northwestern, Minnesota, and Purdue. and even if they somehow told Iowa and UW to fuck off and stay in that division is that really at all appealing to anyone in the PAC 12 to fly half way across the country to play. And is that division of football remotely appealing to viewers on a regular basis to pay big money to see on TV. FUCK NO!

Let me be clear I am not thinking the Big 12 has a real good chance to land PAC 12 teams, but I think there is more appeal to the PAC 12 teams in some ways and the cost to make it happen is probably much cheaper and easier to make happen.

https://gameofthronesintrocreator.kassellabs.io/#/GoTM-0hcau8EcIygRewHQy

It would seem common sense, as PAC schools are logistically closer to XII locales, for that to be the 1st option, of any eventual merger...

3 hours ago, kopp0e said:

My idea:

PXC north -
Washington
Oregon
California
Utah
Colorado
Oklahoma State
Kansas
Iowa State

PXC south -
USC
UCLA
Arizona
Ärizona State
Oklahoma
Texas
Texas Tech
TCU

how would okie light work without being with ou?  Play 9 conference games, 7 games in the division, Bedlam and only 1 cross divisional game? So play Texas once every 7 years?

1 minute ago, Thiefery said:

how would okie light work without being with ou?  Play 9 conference games, 7 games in the division, Bedlam and only 1 cross divisional game? So play Texas once every 7 years?

Yeah, that would be an issue, I do not remember how I had all the teams set in XII south (& PAC south) to keep that game intact...

1 minute ago, kopp0e said:

Yeah, that would be an issue, I do not remember how I had all the teams set in XII south (& PAC south) to keep that game intact...

It's tough without actually having SC plus 7 of their friends in one division, while UT and ou with six others in the other.  I also think SC, OR want the money and they will bolt if they hear the number they want.  So even if they bring 4 others to bring the total to 6 ex Pac schools.. the divisions will be wonky. It's why I feel that the best case scenario is for SC and UT/ou decide to create a new conference which takes 8 of the best Pac schools and 8 of the best Big 12 schools.. keep them in their respective divisions.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kopp0e said:

My idea:

PXC north -
Washington
Oregon
California
Utah
Colorado
Oklahoma State
Kansas
Iowa State

PXC south -
USC
UCLA
Arizona
Ärizona State
Oklahoma
Texas
Texas Tech
TCU

East (XII) and West (PAC) divisions with 3 or 4 cross divisions games or....

the dreaded pod set-up, but Colorado would end up in the Texas pod and Cal in the NW pod.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Thiefery said:

North:   TCU, OU, OSU, KU, KSU, ISU, WVU
South:  BU, UT, TTU, UA, ASU, USC, UCLA

North schools have a media/recruiting presence in DFW via TCU.  They also get the cross-over games in Texas and CA for recruiting exposure.  OU has the division game with TCU and a permanent cross-over game with UT.  I think with the money, you could get everyone to sign off on it. 

Long term, Nebraska is obviously a better fit in this alignment than WVU.  So maybe we see what we can work out on that front if we can make the PAC raid part happen first.  That move back to the Big 12 is not such a hard sell with the Huskers once you have USC on board.  Conference games in both Texas and CA, and a renewed annual game with OU, is their dream outcome.  

• Like 5

8 hours ago, camel at sea said:

North schools have a media/recruiting presence in DFW via TCU.  They also get the cross-over games in Texas and CA for recruiting exposure.  OU has the division game with TCU and a permanent cross-over game with UT.  I think with the money, you could get everyone to sign off on it. 

Long term, Nebraska is obviously a better fit in this alignment than WVU.  So maybe we see what we can work out on that front if we can make the PAC raid part happen first.  That move back to the Big 12 is not such a hard sell with the Huskers once you have USC on board.  Conference games in both Texas and CA, and a renewed annual game with OU, is their dream outcome.  

This is the best set up I've seen if we only add 4 schools.  With a 9 conference game schedule, 6 vs division, 1 permanent (ou), and 2 cross divisional games. It would be nice if aggy came back to the table to renew the turkey day series, if not bu or tech will fill that black Friday game.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, camel at sea said:

I'd take that in a heart beat.  About as Big 8-y as I can realistically hope to see in my life.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I'd take that in a heart beat.  About as Big 8-y as I can realistically hope to see in my life.

Yeah.  Big 8 division vs Border division would be pretty fun.  I'd miss the basketball double round robin, but if the conference went to a 20 game slate - which is already the trend in bigger conferences - then you could do a double round robin within each division, play all 7 teams from the other division (including one of them twice.)  I think that would cover most bases for most hoops fans.  

And a conference with USC, Texas, and Oklahoma football (even before you factor in the "lure Nebraska back" possibilities) would make elite money.  Disney could market a hoops conference with Kansas, UCLA, and Arizona heading up the other revenue sport.  

17 hours ago, camel at sea said:

That's not awful. Would hope Baylor-TCU would be a permanent cross-division game. Imagine of all the schools, TCU would absolutely be the least happy, as they'd want to keep those annual games against Baylor, Texas, and Tech. 

7 minutes ago, LTbear said:

That's not awful. Would hope Baylor-TCU would be a permanent cross-division game. Imagine of all the schools, TCU would absolutely be the least happy, as they'd want to keep those annual games against Baylor, Texas, and Tech. 

Yeah.  I'm just guessing that the North schools in that scenario would want the division flag planted directly in DFW.  Give the Frogs an annual cross-division game with Baylor and I'm not sure how much they really get to complain.  Even if they do complain, I'm not sure they've got the clout to do anything about it.

Alternatively, you could switch up the PAC schools invited to USC, UCLA, UA/ASU, and Colorado.  That allows for something more like this:

North:  OU, OSU, KU, KSU, ISU, CU, WVU
South: UT, TTU, TCU, BU, UAorASU, UCLA, USC

As a fan, I probably prefer the option that puts CU back in the Big 12.  But it seems more likely that we'd get both Arizona schools when looking at it from a conference politics standpoint.  But assuming we didn't have to do that, you could give CU a permanent cross-division game with UCLA or USC as a consolation for playing in the Big 8 division.  And they could join the rest of the chorus of ex-Big 8 schools trying to sell NU on coming back on board.  If it worked, CU would have annual games with OU, NU, one of the L.A. schools while UT and the other L.A. school rotate through the cross-division schedule.  That's a pretty good outcome.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, camel at sea said:

Yeah.  I'm just guessing that the North schools in that scenario would want the division flag planted directly in DFW.  Give the Frogs an annual cross-division game with Baylor and I'm not sure how much they really get to complain.  Even if they do complain, I'm not sure they've got the clout to do anything about it.

Alternatively, you could switch up the PAC schools invited to USC, UCLA, UA/ASU, and Colorado.  That allows for something more like this:

North:  OU, OSU, KU, KSU, ISU, CU, WVU
South: UT, TTU, TCU, BU, UAorASU, UCLA, USC

As a fan, I probably prefer the option that puts CU back in the Big 12.  But it seems more likely that we'd get both Arizona schools when looking at it from a conference politics standpoint.  But assuming we didn't have to do that, you could give CU a permanent cross-division game with UCLA or USC as a consolation for playing in the Big 8 division.  And they could join the rest of the chorus of ex-Big 8 schools trying to sell NU on coming back on board.  If it worked, CU would have annual games with OU, NU, one of the L.A. schools while UT and the other L.A. school rotate through the cross-division schedule.  That's a pretty good outcome.

That's not bad at all. As close to recreating the Big 8 as you can get, and keeps all the Texas schools together in the opposite division.  

If looking at a map, of the closest schools in ACC/ B1G/ SEC & PAC, to UT (of about 1,050 mile radius):

Db43NDvUwAUz0dW.jpg:large

The logical answer would be for XII to allow WVU to ACC/ 9 current schools add 7 PAC brands, for 16...
3 current PAC schools fit within that radius, Buffaloe/Wildcat/Sun Devil, so that is 12 members for XII...
Now, of course, this is built on the idea of adding Trojan/ Bruin duo so that makes 14 members for XII...

Now, the last 2 spots, (in my mind) probably go to Husky/ Duck, since they have the most value in PAC...
As noted before UT & OU get $53/ $48 million annually (increasing) before adding those western foes...
It is arguable, that an expanded XII would then be able to offer Texas & Oklahoma SEC pay in new PXC...

PXC north -
Washington
Oregon
Colorado
Iowa State
Kansas 
Kansas State
TCU
Baylor

PXC south -
USC
UCLA
Arizona
Arizona State
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas 
Texas Tech

A divisional alignment keeps USC/ Oklahoma & Texas together would be preferred for big time games...
Now my opinion, Utah may be more valued to the new league, than Baylor in the north divisional group...
Kansas State is a better attendance drawer for football than California or Stanford, so a + for purplecat...
So a north division could be Husky/Duck/Golden Bear (&/or Cardinal)/Ute/Buff/Jayhawk/Cyclone, + Wildcat...

Edited by kopp0e

Had this posted to the dirt site, seemed pertinent to topic of realignment:

For the sports-entertainment business, coronavirus is taking a huge toll ...

17 hours ago - For years, U.S. television networks have spent increasing amounts of money on “sports packages," paying billions of dollars for the rights to show baseball, basketball and other games exclusively. The high fees were justified because live contests offered a unique asset — unskippable, real-time drama in the age of DVR.

But that immediacy is now proving to be a great weakness. As the U.S. shuts down events and entire cities, the sports-entertainment hierarchy is toppling at a scale experts say they have never seen before. Experts say the depth of the destruction is so vast and so uncertain that in many ways it is incalculable, even as many are trying to calculate it.

“This is unprecedented,” said Neal Pilson, the longtime head of CBS Sports who now works as a consultant. “Sept. 11 comes closest, but I’m not sure how close it really comes. There’s going to have to be an adjustment to the very economic base of sports.”

Part of the reason for that is that broadcasters have become part of a highly interdependent ecosystem. The fees that networks pay strengthen leagues, which health then attracts viewers and advertisers, which in turn bolsters the networks, which can then turn around and pay even higher fees. Disruptions at any point affect the whole chain. Only the NFL, televised sports’ biggest cash cow, has been spared — for now.

“Sports broadcasting rights are the mother’s milk of sports in the United States,” said Marc Ganis a longtime sports consultant and adviser to numerous teams. “And a lot people need to drink from it.”

Perhaps nowhere is that more evident, Ganis and other experts say, than March Madness, the men’s and women’s Division I basketball tournaments that were supposed to start this week.

CBS and Turner together pay the NCAA $785 million a year to broadcast the men’s tournament, a stunning $330,000 per minute of game action, not including overtime. (Turner includes TNT, TBS and TruTV.)

Now that the tournament is canceled, the networks won’t get a cash refund, however. More likely is they’ll negotiate an extension of the deal at no additional cost. But that means the networks will see an interruption in cash flow, paying hundreds of millions of dollars without the corresponding ad revenue to show for it.

“It may not hit them later. But it will hit them now,” said Neil Begley, a senior vice president at Moody’s who this week released a report headlined, “Sports Cancellations, Delays Over Coronavirus Are Credit Negative for Media Companies."

And that ad revenue is significant — the take for the men’s tournament topped $1 billion for the first time two years ago. A 30-second spot in last year’s men’s final between Virginia and Texas Tech — watched by an average of nearly 20 million viewers — cost about $1.5 million. While some of that inventory is sold (itself to be refunded in the form of free-commercial “make goods”), not all of it is. CBS and Turner did not comment for this story.

Meanwhile, the NCAA and the schools that the revenues support could be in straits, too. Some 72 percent of the NCAA’s annual revenue comes from the CBS-Turner deal.

Patrick Rishe, director of the sports business program at Washington University’s Olin Business School in St. Louis, said that one of the greatest impacts will be on smaller schools that typically get a major income boost from the tournament — like the University of Dayton, a small Roman Catholic school of 8,700 undergraduates that was heading to a No. 1 seed this year.

“You can’t pooh-pooh what that means for schools,” Rishe said. “You lose marketing value, you lose exposure value,” he said, adding, “Just look at Duke,” citing a small top-tier academic school that has become far more well-known thanks to its run of five men’s basketball titles under coach Mike Krzyzewski. (Actual payouts come in the form of nearly $2 million per tournament win, paid to the conference to which the team belongs.)

“March Madness benefits a lot of parties,” Rishe said. “So when it doesn’t happen it costs a lot of parties.”

Also lost: the opportunity for advertisers to promote their brands. A slew of companies — they include Capital One, Coke and Turner parent AT&T — sell products during the tournament.

That lost promotional impact would be felt no place more than at NBC if the Summer Olympic Games fall victim to the pandemic. So far, the Olympics remain on, despite widespread calls for their postponement. A cancellation could be disastrous for NBC.

NBC is already taking a hit with the postponement or cancellation of many of its spring events, including the Kentucky Derby, Stanley Cup finals and French Open.

Yet it is the Olympics that are massively essential to NBC, which paid about $1.1 billion for the U.S. broadcast rights to this summer’s Tokyo Games. That’s in part because the high viewership means high ad rates — an average of well over 25 million people were watching many nights four years ago, plus many more on streaming, pushing ad rates up.

But it’s NBC’s ability to promote off the Games that truly makes them so valuable. The company not only plans to publicize its upcoming shows there, as it does off every Summer and Winter Games, it is launching a new business off it: The Olympics are the kickoff event for Peacock, the new streaming service executives hope can compete with Netflix, Disney Plus and HBO Max.

At an investor presentation in January, the company said that it will exclusively feature opening and closing ceremonies live on the platform along with three daily Olympics shows. Its TV viewership would also provide the kind of launchpad to attract subscribers that other streaming services only dream about.

Asked to discuss the impact, an NBC Sports spokesperson said only that “The safety of our employees is always our top priority, but our preparations continue full steam ahead for the Tokyo Olympics on July 24” and referred to recent comments by Brian Roberts, the chief of NBC’s Comcast parent, calling the Games “just the rallying moment for our country to enjoy."

ABC/ESPN and Turner also are likely to suffer if the NBA’s current suspension of its season becomes a cancellation. While much of the season had been played before NBA players were discovered infected with the coronavirus, it’s the postseason when the networks recoup their $300 million annual payment. Last year’s finals between the Raptors and Warriors saw average viewership top 18 million for the last two games. Not having those games this year would heavily damage ad revenue for parent companies Disney and AT&T.

“The linchpin for keeping people engaged in linear television is news and sports," he said. "This black-swan event may be a boon for one but it’s a serious threat to another.”

The NHL suspension of its season just weeks before postseason play was to begin on April 6 will impact an unlikely player: the so-called regional sports networks that are the sports’ primary broadcast vehicles. NBC pays just $200 million per year for broadcast rights. But ratings in many local markets are strong, and the suspension of the stretch run as teams jostle for playoffs and positioning would impact the companies with holdings there.

That includes Sinclair’s Diamond Sports Group, which comprises the nearly two dozen sports networks that Disney sold to Sinclair because regulators didn’t allow the company to keep them when Disney acquired Fox. Diamond has networks with rights in several key NHL cities, including defending Stanley Cup champion St. Louis, currently vying for a top seed in the Western Conference.

The company also has local baseball rights for the coming season in the majority of MLB markets — a season now very much in jeopardy. MLB could lose months of its 2020 campaign with its late-March Opening Day delayed indefinitely, according to Commissioner Rob Manfred, and a hard-stop in November when colder weather arrives in many markets.

“Diamond is exposed because there are no games, and they’re exposed because they need the cash-flow to pay down their debt,” Ganis said. The company bought the regional sports networks for $10.6 billion.

Such losses for regional networks could also affect team revenues and player salaries, since many clubs rely on that money to stay solvent.

Fox hardly escapes unscathed. The company’s national sports division paid $500 million for the 2020 rights to many MLB games, including the World Series. And even though much of those fees will come back for games that aren’t played, the ad revenue won’t.

That revenue could have been significant — last year’s Game 7 of the World Series between the Washington Nationals and Houston Astros was the highest-rated non-football broadcast of the year with 23 million total viewers.

Experts say that compounds the hit that Fox takes from the suspension of the NASCAR season. Fox did not provide comment for this piece.

Perhaps most imperiled of all, however, are niche leagues for whom the lack of games to be broadcast is an existential threat.

“I think the bigger leagues like the NBA and MLB in the long-term will be fine,” Rishe said. “But what about the XFL, which was doing well in its renaissance? Or the National Women’s Soccer League, which had momentum after the Women’s World Cup last year?” he said.

“What happens to them after all the lost revenue? It’s sometimes the little guy you have to worry about," he said.

Which are richest and poorest college football programs? New revenue figures for all 65 Power Five schools

Updated 11:24 AM; Today 5:05 AM

https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/2020/03/which-are-richest-and-poorest-college-football-programs-new-revenue-figures-for-all-65-power-five-schools.html

#55 Missouri $38.5 million   

#36 Southern California $50.0 million Yikes

#35 Texas Tech $51.1 million 

#33 Oklahoma State $52.2 million 

#25 Utah $63.2 million 

#22 Texas Christian $65.4 million 

#21 Florida State $68.9 million Highest ACC

#20 Oregon $72.1 million 

#19 Texas A&M $73.5 million  

#15 Washington $84.0 million 

#10 Nebraska $94.3 million

#8 Oklahoma $94.8 million

#4 Notre Dame $115.5 million

#1 Texas $156.1 million 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, hiphopfroggy said:

Which are richest and poorest college football programs? New revenue figures for all 65 Power Five schools

https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/2020/03/which-are-richest-and-poorest-college-football-programs-new-revenue-figures-for-all-65-power-five-schools.html

#55 Missouri $38.5 million   

#36 Southern California $50.0 million Yikes

#35 Texas Tech $51.1 million 

#33 Oklahoma State $52.2 million 

#25 Utah $63.2 million 

#22 Texas Christian $65.4 million 

#21 Florida State $68.9 million Highest ACC

#20 Oregon $72.1 million 

#19 Texas A&M $73.5 million  

#15 Washington $84.0 million 

#10 Nebraska $94.3 million

#8 Oklahoma $94.8 million

#4 Notre Dame $115.5 million

#1 Texas $156.1 million 

Tech makes its money on Basketball and baseball now.

Well, it did...

Hard to believe Frog is more financially viable that Tech with regard to overall football program, save for the fact Tech is in a decade long run of shit-stain performance.  Doesn't make sense that TCU's 30 fans and alumni make that big of a difference.

15 hours ago, hiphopfroggy said:

Some really interesting info in here, couple things stand out:

1) The rich got richer, or stayed rich.   Most of the movement was in the bottom two thirds.   Unless your name is Florida State.

2) USC made less in football ($50m) than Oklahoma State ($52.2m), Iowa State ($51.9m), and Texas Tech ($51m).   That has to hurt.

3) Missouri made $400k more than Kansas.  Both made less in revenue than Washington made in profit.

4) The B1G's huge rank increase was primarily due to Purdue (+32), Maryland (+15), and Northwestern (+10)

5) West Virginia must not know how to report.   I can't figure out how a $100m+ athletic department makes only a quarter of its revenue from football in a stadium that is always packed, with a TV contract paying out $30m+ a year.   

6) I put the conference averages below, with the average spots moved and the average rank, but what I found most interesting is this shot of the percent of each conference that made less than $50m:

Note: Notre Dame, and their $115m, was removed from these numbers, that's why the average delta and rank are slightly off

Conference % <$50m
B1G 14%
SEC 36%
Big 12 40%
PAC 67%
ACC 71%

Conference Average FB Revenue Avg Delta Avg Rank
B1G $74,457,143 4.57 22.50
SEC $70,992,857 (0.07) 26.71
Big 12 $62,610,000 2.40 33.60
Average $60,806,250 (0.08) 33.45
PAC $49,625,000 (4.25) 41.50
ACC $45,264,286 (2.93) 44.14

Here's the full list in chart format:

Rank School Conference Revenue Delta
1 Texas Big 12 $156,100,000 0
2 Georgia SEC $123,100,000 0
3 Michigan B1G $122,300,000 0
4 Norte Dame INDY $115,500,000 2
5 Ohio State B1G $115,100,000 0
6 Penn State B1G $100,100,000 2
7 Auburn SEC $95,200,000 3
8 Oklahoma Big 12 $94,800,000 -1
9 Alabama SEC $94,600,000 -5
10 Nebraska B1G $94,300,000 1
11 LSU SEC $92,000,000 3
12 Tennessee SEC $91,000,000 -3
13 Wisconsin B1G $89,900,000 3
14 Florida SEC $84,800,000 -2
15 Washington PAC $84,000,000 2
16 Iowa  B1G $81,000,000 3
17 Arkansas SEC $76,500,000 4
18 Michigan State B1G $74,600,000 0
19 Texas A&M SEC $73,500,000 -2
20 Oregon PAC $72,100,000 0
21 Florida State ACC $68,900,000 -8
22 TCU Big 12 $65,400,000 4
23 South Carolina SEC $65,000,000 -1
24 Northwestern B1G $63,200,000 10
25 Utah PAC $63,200,000 2
26 Minnesota B1G $63,000,000 -3
27 Clemson ACC $61,400,000 3
28 Illinois B1G $58,200,000 4
29 Miami ACC $56,300,000 -4
30 Virginia Tech ACC $56,200,000 -2
31 Purdue B1G $54,800,000 32
32 Indiana B1G $52,600,000 -1
33 Oklahoma State Big 12 $52,200,000 4
34 Iowa State Big 12 $51,900,000 6
35 Texas Tech Big 12 $51,100,000 -1
36 USC PAC $50,000,000 -12
37 Ole Miss SEC $48,200,000 -4
38 Louisville ACC $47,300,000 4
39 Maryland B1G $46,600,000 15
40 Kansas State Big 12 $46,200,000 8
41 NC State ACC $45,700,000 -3
42 Baylor Big 12 $45,600,000 5
43 Washington State PAC $45,300,000 2
44 Stanford PAC $44,500,000 -8
45 Syracuse ACC $43,800,000 1
46 Colorado PAC $43,500,000 -3
47 Arizona PAC $43,300,000 -6
48 Georgia Tech ACC $42,600,000 -19
49 Kentucky SEC $41,400,000 0
50 UCLA PAC $41,300,000 0
51 Duke ACC $40,300,000 0
52 UNC ACC $39,300,000 -8
53 Pittsburgh ACC $39,200,000 -1
54 Arizona State PAC $39,000,000 -19
55 Missouri SEC $38,500,000 4
56 Kansas Big 12 $38,100,000 -1
57 Mississippi State SEC $38,000,000 4
58 Oregon State PAC $35,800,000 -5
59 Virginia ACC $33,700,000 -2
60 Cal PAC $33,500,000 -4
61 Boston College ACC $32,300,000 -3
62 Vanderbilt SEC $32,100,000 -2
63 Wake Forest ACC $26,700,000 1
64 Rutgers B1G $26,700,000 -2
65 West Virginia Big 12 $24,700,000 0

3 hours ago, Iceman said:

Tech makes its money on Basketball and baseball now.

Well, it did...

Hard to believe Frog is more financially viable that Tech with regard to overall football program, save for the fact Tech is in a decade long run of shit-stain performance.  Doesn't make sense that TCU's 30 fans and alumni make that big of a difference.

It makes plenty of obvious sense, keep at it and it will come to you. 

WVU follow up:

Not that its a big deal, but it was bugging me.   So I went to EADA where they got their data.   You can search by any school.   Anyway, I compared WVU with Iowa State, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech, which should be pretty close, but under WVU in revenue.   While WVU has only $25m in football revenue to the other threes $50m, WVU's women's programs made $22m to the other threes, $2-3m.   

Additionally, WVU had $46m unallocated to any sport, as compared to Tech ($27m), ISU ($24m) and OSU ($38m).

I'd guess what they do is spread the media dollars over all sports, instead of concentrating them in the big money programs and running the rest of the sports at a loss. Shift some of that money around and WVU is over $50m like the rest.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tonedeaf said:

"Matt Rhule continued to work his witchcraft in pulling a sleaze program from the sludge." 

The rest of the world gets it.  Dump these fuckers.

Pedo St making moral judgements? I mean don't get me wrong, Baylor is filthy trash, but I am sure that Pedo St is the most vile, disgusting, perverse piece of sh$% institution the world has ever seen, other than the SS of course.

Will be interesting to see what happens to these revenue numbers next season, especially if the season is delayed, or cancelled due to the 'rona. There are a lot of athletic departments carrying a ton of debt for facilities that could be hurting. Donors are worth a lot less currently, and the universities themselves will be under financial stress as sources if revenue dry up.

I'm sure everybody discounts that the upcoming season could be significantly affected, but not too many people probably expected the NCAA tournament and all spring sports to be cancelled. Lot of departments running pretty close to the ragged edge expecting that the TV money train would last forever. That may not be the case, and the repercussions of that alone could largely drive some realignment activity.

18 hours ago, hiphopfroggy said:

Pedo St making moral judgements? I mean don't get me wrong, Baylor is filthy trash, but I am sure that Pedo St is the most vile, disgusting, perverse piece of sh$% institution the world has ever seen, other than the SS of course.

OK.  But baylor is right up there.  Being private, I'm sure all we know is the tip of the iceberg.  They can tell us what they want then run hide behind the law.  Agree on PSU, but baylor can hold their own.  Fuck'em.