Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

1 hour ago, hiphopfroggy said:

Washington Mailbag: Would UW jump without WSU if invited to another conference?

spacer.png

By Christian Caple  3h agocomment-icon@2x.png 3 
SEATTLE — I don’t know how I found time for it, what with my social calendar bursting at the seams, but, by golly, we’ve got ourselves a mailbag.

Would Jen Cohen value the relationships with Washington State/Oregon State enough to not go with Oregon/USC to the Big 12 if/when that happens? — Jason J.

If conference realignment and/or expansion ever become that serious of a consideration, there will be many other decision-makers at the table besides the athletic director — like the president and Board of Regents, for example. The relationship between UW and WSU at the AD level has been a cordial one; Cohen got along well with ex-WSU athletic director Bill Moos and has a strong relationship with current AD Pat Chun. I’m not as sure what that relationship looks like among the campus heads. There was the spat a few years back involving the new medical school in Spokane, but it seems as if UW president Ana Mari Cauce and WSU president Kirk...

Sorry paywall...

Ha, yeah I don't think that's an AD thing, that's probably a state government fight.

That being said WSU lost $10m after getting 8% of their revenue from school/student fees, and only sold $8m in ticket sales.   Their $65m in revenue is closer to AAC schools, even with the Pac12 higher revenue.   The lowest Big 12 school, KState, sold $15m in tickets.     WSU may find its not able to afford P5 as they are the lowest earning, non-private, P5 school.   

Oregon State did a little better, earning $80m, but spent $88m while they took 12% of that revenue in funds/fees.   They sold $11m in tickets and are the second lowest earning P5, non-private.   The third lowest, KState, had a $10m profit and took like $300k in fees.

Quite simply, the bottom half of the Pac12's schools are not financially stable and have not been for years.   COVID may push this over the edge.

• Like 1

Really depends on what plays out and how long.

People are at home consuming content at a big clip.   If you can't go to games, then watching them may become more popular, increasing the value.

If lots of schools cut football to save money, that will increase the value of the lessor games from those who stay.

If people stop watching sports in general, because they can't play them, because if universities aren't having students on campus then there isn't any athletes to play, then it may look like a strike year.   MLB and the NHL took years to recover after and never really regained fully.  

A more lasting effect may be ticket prices may crash and stadiums start to shrink while cameras/tech equipment built into the stadium increases

• Like 1

16 hours ago, kopp0e said:

I will always be for more regional play, and not just in the non-revenue sports. What I would like to see from all of this is the NCAA say no to leniency and use this as an opportunity to create a true Division I and Division II. Division one is the current P-5, and any school that can't meet the standards (WSU, Rutgers, whatever) needs to accept that they don't belong. Division II can be the weakest of the P-5 and strongest of the G-5. There would still be plenty of interest and TV ratings, and they could host their own playoff, which in all honesty would be fun. Both would be realigned on geographic lines with 12 team conferences. I'd also be fine with conference alignments being different for revenue and non-revenue sports. Like the article says, why should ODU travel to UTEP for baseball when there are tons of baseball programs to play locally?

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I will always be for more regional play, and not just in the non-revenue sports. What I would like to see from all of this is the NCAA say no to leniency and use this as an opportunity to create a true Division I and Division II. Division one is the current P-5, and any school that can't meet the standards (WSU, Rutgers, whatever) needs to accept that they don't belong. Division II can be the weakest of the P-5 and strongest of the G-5. There would still be plenty of interest and TV ratings, and they could host their own playoff, which in all honesty would be fun. Both would be realigned on geographic lines with 12 team conferences. I'd also be fine with conference alignments being different for revenue and non-revenue sports. Like the article says, why should ODU travel to UTEP for baseball when there are tons of baseball programs to play locally?

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Thiefery said:

I don't really see USC/ UCLA going for a deal that cuts out access to ESPN (& Fox)...

This sounds as if (Arizona/ Arizona State fans think) it's a Larry Scott hail mary pass...

In other news, MWC sounds as if reckoning  day, may be on the way, very shortly now...

Edited by kopp0e
  • Like 1

Strictly from a casual consumer standpoint, the biggest problem with Pac-12 to Apple TV is, I don't want to have to change apps to flip between games. It's time consuming and cumbersome. Having one app (say, YouTubeTV) open and changing inputs on the TV to get back and forth between "cable" and broadcast games is OK, but if I have to either a) tell Roku "quit YTTV, open Apple TV app, go to Pac-12 Football TV channel" (and vice versa), no fucking way. Nor do I want to buy another "box" (an Apple TV) just to be able to limit the switching to inputs, just so I can watch P12 games.

This isn't an old man yelling @ cloud thing, either-- I like technology, I love the Apple TV unit but don't use one myself as I prefer Roku. I just don't KNOW of an easy way to add a Pac 12 on Apple TV game into that swapping rotation.

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Strictly from a casual consumer standpoint, the biggest problem with Pac-12 to Apple TV is, I don't want to have to change apps to flip between games. It's time consuming and cumbersome. Having one app (say, YouTubeTV) open and changing inputs on the TV to get back and forth between "cable" and broadcast games is OK, but if I have to either a) tell Roku "quit YTTV, open Apple TV app, go to Pac-12 Football TV channel" (and vice versa), no fucking way. Nor do I want to buy another "box" (an Apple TV) just to be able to limit the switching to inputs, just so I can watch P12 games.

This isn't an old man yelling @ cloud thing, either-- I like technology, I love the Apple TV unit but don't use one myself as I prefer Roku. I just don't KNOW of an easy way to add a Pac 12 on Apple TV game into that swapping rotation.

I agree with that. I still have cable (verizon fios), and when Texas is playing LaTech on a Saturday evening on LHN, it's no biggie to hit the aux button and already have the game playing through my PS4 console.  Can hit aux again to watch whoever is playing primetime on ABC or eSPN... But if I have to use another App off my TV or PS4 console.. it's going to be really frustrating.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kopp0e said:

I don't really see USC/ UCLA going for a deal that cuts out access to ESPN (& Fox)...

This sounds as if (Arizona/ Arizona State fans think) it's a Larry Scott hail mary pass...

In other news, MWC sounds as if reckoning  day, may be on the way, very shortly now...

Udub fans seem to think, they along with Stanford will join the Rustbelt before giving any real thought to the Big 12

Here's the article that was based off, seems very premature.   I'm guessing it was leaked to help stabilize the conversation

Conference expects digital giants to bid for media rights

Big digital companies were nowhere to be found when the PGA Tour sold its media rights to CBS, NBC and ESPN earlier this year.

The FAANG companies — Facebook, Apple, Amazon, Netflix and Google — have not been especially active during early talks for NFL or MLB rights either, several sources say.

But when the Pac-12 Conference negotiates its next media rights deal to start in the fall of 2024, conference executives expect the deep-pocketed digital companies to make serious bids.

Why?

“This is what they’re telling us,” Pac-12 Networks President Mark Shuken said. “Several of them have come to us and said that they want to be in this space.”

The most intriguing conversations have come with Apple, which so far has not settled on a financial model around sports rights. Apple executives have told conference and school officials that they see live sports as a programming genre that can set its direct-to-consumer business apart from its rivals.

Apple also was attracted by the conference’s physical location. The Pac-12 is based in San Francisco; Apple is in nearby Cupertino, Calif.

During one meeting, Apple executives told the Pac-12’s school presidents that it was only interested in the conference’s primary media rights package, not a digital one. ESPN and Fox currently hold the rights to the conference’s main package, paying a combined $250 million per year on average to the conference.

“They said that they are very interested in learning more about the rights and learning more about the business to determine whether or not they’d be a viable partner in 2024,” Shuken said. “They said that, on the surface, we look like a good partner to investigate.”

The conference already has a small relationship with Apple, which carries the Pac-12 app via Apple TV. “We’ve also been working with them on experimenting with different products that we have,” Shuken said.

With the launch of streaming services, like ESPN+ and last week’s Peacock, Shuken sounded confident that the media landscape in 2024 will be significantly different than the one today, with consumer habits drifting more substantially to direct-to-consumer services.

“We’re kind of lucky because we can watch some of the other direct-to-consumer models now and see how they play out,” Shuken said. “Companies are really testing the models right now to figure out the best way to do it.”

The conference established relationships with the digital companies over the past year, as it sought potential investors that were interested in taking an equity stake in the conference. Ultimately, the conference decided to move forward on its own. But it was heartened by the amount of interest.

“That validated the premise that there will be new bidders and bigger bidders and better economics than we have now,” Shuken said. “The presidents chose not to move forward with a financial partner, but we also created a lot of relationships."

Realignment speculation in Oregon:

The Big 22

Lay a map of Texas over Western Europe and you will find that The Lone Star State covers Germany, Austria, The Netherlands, Luxembourg and parts of Belgium, France, Italy, Croatia and the Czech Republic. And the great state of Texas is 28 times larger than the Green Mountain State, Vermont.

That’s a lot of hat and a lot of cattle, plus a lot of oil, natural gas and packed high school football stadiums come Friday night. This is not to mention the 100,000 plus Long Horn fans who routinely attend UT’s home games.

Taking into consideration Mike Merrell’s takes, Darren Perkins’ articles on possible Pac-12 conference expansion and the concerns of many about leaving current Pac-12 members behind, I figured I’d go Texas-style BIG and consider what a merger of the Pac-12 and Big 12 conferences (all 22 teams) would look like.

Before discussing the parsing of teams into divisions, let’s deal with administrative issues the Western University Alliance (WUA) would have to deal with from the get go.

COULD A 22-TEAM CONFERENCE WORK?

WUA Adminstrative Changes

1. Larry Scott, his huge salary and spendthrift ways, must go.

2. The Pac-12 Network, assuming these guys properly established the network as a separate LLC or other form of independent entity, files bankruptcy. Not a Chapter 11 reorganization but a going out of business filing. Doing this would allow the network to cram down a much-reduced lease buyout and exit the ridiculously expensive San Francisco headquarters. The conference itself cannot file bankruptcy, so a reduction in conference headquarters rent would have to be negotiated. Or, perhaps, the premises could be sublet?

3. Current Big 12 Commissioner, Bob Bowlsby, stays on as the WUA commissioner with a pay raise but still far less than what Larry is pulling down every year. Bowlsby has done an excellent job of managing the once left-for-dead Big 12. Prior to his current gig, Bob was the AD at Stanford and has an excellent understanding of the Pac-12 Conference. WUA headquarters would remain in Irving, Texas. A Pac-12 division satellite office with an associate commissioner could be located in Phoenix, Portland, Salt Lake or anywhere in the current Pac-12 footprint less costly than virtually any location in California.

4. The ESPN-owned and unsuccessful Longhorn Network (LHN) would expand to cover the entire WUA. ESPN would remain as owner/operator of the WUA Network. Network headquarters would remain in Austin, Texas unless a different site was agreed upon. And yes, UT would have to be paid for this to happen. This is a simple financial reality. UT cannot be expected to voluntarily walk away from $10+ million per year. And realistically, the WUA big boys, Texas, Oklahoma, USC, UW and Oregon, would take a bigger slice of the media pie than small market schools like Oregon State and Washington State.

BOB BOWLSBY HAS DONE A GREAT JOB RESURRECTING THE BIG 12 CONFERENCE.

However, a rising media payout tide would lift all boats. And a conference with the footprint of the WUA would demand far bigger media rights fees from ESPN, FOX and any other broadcast partner.

Division Structure and Schedule

Alrighty then, how would the WUA be structured?

Pac-12 Division — All existing members other than Colorado.

Big 12 Division — All existing teams plus Colorado.

How would the WUA, with that huge footprint, work?

Each school would play one out-of-conference game. This allows the Stanford/USC versus Notre Dame, Utah versus BYU and Colorado versus Colorado State series to continue to be played.

There would be one Pac-12/Big 12 crossover game. This game would not factor into the division championship. An Oregon team that draws Texas in Austin is not going to be penalized if, in the same year, Washington plays Kansas in Seattle.

WITH THE WUA, WE COULD SEE A LOT MORE EXCITING BIG 12 VS. PAC-12 MATCHUPS.

Ten intra-division games. Oregon would play every Pac-12 team, sans Colorado, every season with five games home and five away. Thus, travel would be little different from the season-long distances Pac-12 teams cover today.

The WAU Championship would feature the Pac-12 division champion versus the Big 12 division champion, with the game alternating between Las Vegas and Jerry’s Place in Dallas. This would assure “good weather” for the game. Travel to and from and hotel rooms in Dallas and Las Vegas are far less expensive than tripping to Santa Clara.

One other condition: Whether the playoff field was expanded or not, the WUA champion would be guaranteed a spot in the College Football Playoff.

For college basketball and other sports, a division home-and-home series would be played with, perhaps, four crossover games? Again, travel would not be dramatically increased.

What say you, Ducks fans? Would something like this, that leaves no man behind, work?

Seems to be just a scheduling agreement, 22 teams is messy.   But it is interesting to see someone else talk about being gobbled up.   The hate for Larry runs strong in Oregon.

On 4/13/2020 at 11:28 AM, hiphopfroggy said:

Yes, divisions may end up being the preference and the scheduling model could be determined by schools #15 and #16, depending on who those may be.

Some of the reasons pods may be preferable:

• More central time zone kickoffs for West coast teams. Getting the West coast teams earlier kickoffs one way or another seems to be an important part of maximizing their value, same for any team really, they need good kickoff times. Pods allows the west coast teams to play 4 central teams a year as opposed to 2 w/divisions. That has the West coast teams playing 2 games in central times zones every year as opposed to just once a year in divisions.  
  • Pods allow every team to play each other every other year as opposed to once every 4 years.
  • Minimized travel/optimal travel.  Difference schools may have differing opinions here, but generally speaking each team would travel to each pod location once a year. Which seems optimal. UT for example would still have a large portion of the conference schedule in Texas, then also travel to the Southwest(LA/Phoenix) and Northwest(S.F./Seattle/Portland) once a year, as well as Kansahoma(perhaps every other year w/RRR).
  • Maximize championship game matchups. Allows for potential conference championship games between UT and OU or Oregon USC, while also providing the conference some flexibility in maximizing the matchup. 

TLDR:  For UT pods would mean playing K-State, Kansas, Ok St less and the west coast schools more. 

Perhaps a north and a south division? 

I see very little reason to do pods.  Instead go with a single set of division standings and play teams at different frequencies.  Pick 3-4 annual rivals, pick some that play at 50% of the time, some that play 33% of the time and maybe some that play as little as 25% of the time.   This allows the league the most flexibility in scheduling and getting the matchups they want. 

Then you just take the top 2 for the conference championship or if we are down to 4 power leagues probably the top 4 for semi-finals.  As sports fans we could hope for the elimination of bowl games and increase the conference playoffs to 6 and run it similar to the NFL playoffs/seeding.     

A poster or two mentioned earlier the PAC 12 should sell more of their T3 content on T2 level to get more revenue.  They didn't have very many games falling to T3 and those games won't command T2 increases.  A lot of weeks it was one game and something like OSU vs Az.    

22 teams is way too many.  You have to cap it at 16 if you want to do divisions. I preferably like 14 instead.  Big 12 has the upperhand and if I were ISU, KSU I would want Bowlsby to raid the PAC in expansion rather than a merger.  Add three CA schools, plus the AZ schools and either the utes or CO. and the big 12 is stable once again.  CA, AZ and TX can carry a 16 team conference. 

West=SC,ucla, Cal, AZ, ASU, Tech, Co/utes, TCU

Central= UT, baylor, ou, okie, isu, ksu, ks, WV

7 Div games,  2 cross division games. Rotate the CCG between Jerry world and Vegas.

I would prefer 14 schools so if you could have a choice to drop two of the following; WV, AZ, BU, KSU or CO/utes

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I don't see many Pac12 games being played when Big12 games are airing, so flipping over to the random Pac12 game rarely if ever happens in my house.

6 minutes ago, Extra Anejo said:

I don't see many Pac12 games being played when Big12 games are airing, so flipping over to the random Pac12 game rarely if ever happens in my house.

Yeah big 12 seems to really push most of it's big games at noon or the 3:30 pm kickoffs.  I normally see a PAC game late afternoon through the evening and late night.  However it would help them if they played the 3:30pm/7pm kickoffs in FTW, Norman, Austin

7 minutes ago, Extra Anejo said:

maybe you're not as depraved as I am, but I promise you, the negative scenario I dreamt up above would happen to me.... when I watch, I am only ever glued to Texas or a huge 1v2 type national game, otherwise I'm flitting around from channel to channel

1 hour ago, Extra Anejo said:

Its one of their biggest issues.   Most of their games are played when the east coast isn't watching.  Its hard to make up for the lack of 150m people, you need a far greater amount in the west coast watching than any other part of the world.   If the Big16 thing happened, just because why the fuck not nothing else is going on right now, the Big 12 should put any home game in the central time zone on at noon eastern and any on the west coast on at 330 eastern, and any featured games (like USC/Texas, Oregon/OU) in prime time.   Not always the best for fans, but a fuck ton more eyeballs than playing after dark night games in Cali.

Edited by Hurtlocker
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hurtlocker said:

Its one of their biggest issues.   Most of their games are played when the east coast isn't watching.  Its hard to make up for the lack of 150m people, you need a far greater amount in the west coast watching than any other part of the world.   If the Big16 thing happened, just because why the fuck not nothing else is going on right now, the Big 12 should put any home game in the central time zone on at noon eastern and any on the west coast on at 330 eastern, and any featured games (like USC/Texas, Oregon/OU) in prime time.   Not always the best for fans, but a fuck ton more eyeballs than playing after dark night games in Cali.

And certain games would still do well for the 10pm kickoffs.  Tech vs ASU or Cal vs okie light.. One thing for sure.. Big 12/14/16 would be covered from Noon to Midnight on Saturday nights.

4 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

maybe you're not as depraved as I am, but I promise you, the negative scenario I dreamt up above would happen to me.... when I watch, I am only ever glued to Texas or a huge 1v2 type national game, otherwise I'm flitting around from channel to channel  pornhub to redtube

Fixed

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thiefery said:

And certain games would still do well for the 10pm kickoffs.  Tech vs ASU or Cal vs okie light.. One thing for sure.. Big 12/14/16 would be covered from Noon to Midnight on Saturday nights.

I'm for this.   But keep it to 14 with an SEC type schedule.   Helps ratings and rankings.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Win5002 said:

A poster or two mentioned earlier the PAC 12 should sell more of their T3 content on T2 level to get more revenue.  They didn't have very many games falling to T3 and those games won't command T2 increases.  A lot of weeks it was one game and something like OSU vs Az.    

They air 30+ football games on the PACN.  If 20 of those games were moved and sold as part of a Tier 2 package, they'd be better off from a monetization standpoint.  I mean, the Big 12 is getting paid well to air a ton of Kansas / Iowa State /etc. games on FS1.  Those lower tier FS1 games are doing well to generate 300-500K in viewership.  

Would the PAC be paid well to air a bunch of Oregon State / Arizona / Cal type games as part of some Tier 2 package?  I guess that remains to be seen but there should be some potential buyers as we move into the next round of deals in a few years.  

14 hours ago, Thiefery said:

22 teams is way too many.  You have to cap it at 16 if you want to do divisions. I preferably like 14 instead.  Big 12 has the upperhand and if I were ISU, KSU I would want Bowlsby to raid the PAC in expansion rather than a merger.  Add three CA schools, plus the AZ schools and either the utes or CO. and the big 12 is stable once again.  CA, AZ and TX can carry a 16 team conference. 

West=SC,ucla, Cal, AZ, ASU, Tech, Co/utes, TCU

Central= UT, baylor, ou, okie, isu, ksu, ks, WV

7 Div games,  2 cross division games. Rotate the CCG between Jerry world and Vegas.

I would prefer 14 schools so if you could have a choice to drop two of the following; WV, AZ, BU, KSU or CO/utes

I'll keep banging the only add 4 PAC schools drum.  The Big 12 is the side in the position of strength.  So none of the current members of the Big 12 would be dropped.  WVU is the only one who might want to leave.  So:

West:  USC, UCLA, ASU, UA/CU, TTU, TCU, OSU
East:  Texas, OU, KSU, KU, ISU, BU, WVU

If WVU ever finds a spot in the ACC/SEC, then great.  If not, that's fine, too.  They do well on TV.  Assuming they do find a spot in the ACC/SEC, then this:

West:  USC, UCLA, ASU, UA, CU, TTU, TCU
East:  Texas, OU, KSU, KU, ISU, OSU, BU

Hold at 14 until another blue blood becomes available.  I feel pretty confident that Nebraska would be knocking on our door as soon as their B1G GOR gets near to its end.  

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, camel at sea said:

I'll keep banging the only add 4 PAC schools drum.  The Big 12 is the side in the position of strength.  So none of the current members of the Big 12 would be dropped.  WVU is the only one who might want to leave.  So:

West:  USC, UCLA, ASU, UA/CU, TTU, TCU, OSU
East:  Texas, OU, KSU, KU, ISU, BU, WVU

If WVU ever finds a spot in the ACC/SEC, then great.  If not, that's fine, too.  They do well on TV.  Assuming they do find a spot in the ACC/SEC, then this:

West:  USC, UCLA, ASU, UA, CU, TTU, TCU
East:  Texas, OU, KSU, KU, ISU, OSU, BU

Hold at 14 until another blue blood becomes available.  I feel pretty confident that Nebraska would be knocking on our door as soon as their B1G GOR gets near to its end.  

That's a solid plan with 14 which I rather have.. but something tells me if SC/UCLA are on board..both AZ schools and Cal will be too. Does the Big 12 only take one AZ school?  Think it's best for both to be in long term.

4 hours ago, Thiefery said:

That's a solid plan with 14 which I rather have.. but something tells me if SC/UCLA are on board..both AZ schools and Cal will be too. Does the Big 12 only take one AZ school?  Think it's best for both to be in long term.

If we've got SC/UCLA, then we just say something along the lines of "the money is better at 14.  We will appreciate your input as to who #13 and #14 should be.  If any of our current members ever leave we'll try to add another western school to take their spot at #14."  

How does that play out?  Who knows.  But if the L.A. schools are willing to move at all, they've already contemplated leaving a bunch of PAC schools behind and I doubt that they would throw up huge road blocks because they can't bring *all* of their friends.

4 hours ago, camel at sea said:

If we've got SC/UCLA, then we just say something along the lines of "the money is better at 14.  We will appreciate your input as to who #13 and #14 should be.  If any of our current members ever leave we'll try to add another western school to take their spot at #14."  

How does that play out?  Who knows.  But if the L.A. schools are willing to move at all, they've already contemplated leaving a bunch of PAC schools behind and I doubt that they would throw up huge road blocks because they can't bring *all* of their friends.

Yeah i still say put all your efforts into USC.   If that domino falls everything else is free blow job day on campus.   

That's a thing, right?

9 hours ago, camel at sea said:

USC is the prize.  The big pac goes to 14.  WVU, fun school, but they can move east.  

One more school from the current 10 needs to go.  Here's to you BU!

8 minutes ago, Poolflood said:

USC is the prize.  The big pac goes to 14.  WVU, fun school, but they can move east.  

One more school from the current 10 needs to go.  Here's to you BU!

Washington
Oregon
California
UCLA
USC
Arizona
Arizona State
Colorado

Iowa State
Kansas
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas
TCU
Texas Tech

That takes care of the issue, while making an "evenly balanced breakfast"< (err, conference), with:

3 teams in state of Texas
3 teams in state of California

2 teams in state of Oklahoma
2 teams in state of Arizona

1 team in states of Iowa/ Kansas/ Colorado/ Oregon/ Washington... League footprint with over 100 million folks...

11 hours ago, camel at sea said:

Any chance this would divide the state of Cali itself?

6 hours ago, notre dame joe said:

Any chance this would divide the state of Cali itself?

I don't think it's a coincidence that the media articles being floated have the CA schools splitting.  It seems pretty obvious from the outside that the crux of the PAC's internal issues are between the Bay Area leadership (i.e. Stanford) and the football schools that generate the money for the conference (SC, Oregon, etc.)  So if that's where the relationship breakdown exists, then it makes some sense that you'd see SC splitting with Stanford.  

And from there, the chips fall where they may.  

Obviously there's time to get the PAC's issues worked out.  But that's been the case for years and that hasn't happened yet.  The clock is really beginning to tick.

11 hours ago, kopp0e said:

Washington
Oregon
California
UCLA
USC
Arizona
Arizona State
Colorado

Iowa State
Kansas
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas
TCU
Texas Tech

That takes care of the issue, while making an "evenly balanced breakfast"< (err, conference), with:

3 teams in state of Texas
3 teams in state of California

2 teams in state of Oklahoma
2 teams in state of Arizona

1 team in states of Iowa/ Kansas/ Colorado/ Oregon/ Washington... League footprint with over 100 million folks...

Am I doing my math wrong or is that a total of 15 schools?  Who would be cut in the Pac division? or will Bowlsby be a ninja and grab  one of Utah/neb/Tulane/Ark for the #16 spot?

11 hours ago, camel at sea said:

I don't think it's a coincidence that the media articles being floated have the CA schools splitting.  It seems pretty obvious from the outside that the crux of the PAC's internal issues are between the Bay Area leadership (i.e. Stanford) and the football schools that generate the money for the conference (SC, Oregon, etc.)  So if that's where the relationship breakdown exists, then it makes some sense that you'd see SC splitting with Stanford.  

And from there, the chips fall where they may.  

Obviously there's time to get the PAC's issues worked out.  But that's been the case for years and that hasn't happened yet.  The clock is really beginning to tick.

I remember recently Stanford complaining that Texas was doing "something" that they were very unhappy about.  I would assume that Stanford is a big issue when dealing with the PAC.  They are the snobs of snobs.  I would not want them at all.  Give me CU and Utah over Cal and Stanford.

11 hours ago, Thiefery said:

Am I doing my math wrong or is that a total of 15 schools?  Who would be cut in the Pac division? or will Bowlsby be a ninja and grab  one of Utah/neb/Tulane/Ark for the #16 spot?

Umm, (oops) I forgot to stick Kansas State in the east division:

Pac8 division -

Washington
Oregon
California/ UCLA/ USC
Arizona/ Arizona State
Colorado

---

Big8 division -

Iowa State
Kansas/ Kansas State
Oklahoma/ Oklahoma State
Texas/ TCU/ Texas Tech

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

Pac8 division -

Washington
Oregon
California/ UCLA/ USC
Arizona/ Arizona State
Colorado

---

Big8 division -

Iowa State
Kansas/ Kansas State
Oklahoma/ Oklahoma State
Texas/ TCU/ Texas Tech

I would prefer 14 teams but could live with this. 

18 hours ago, kopp0e said:

Pac8 division -

Washington
Oregon
California/ UCLA/ USC
Arizona/ Arizona State
Colorado

---

Big8 division -

Iowa State
Kansas/ Kansas State
Oklahoma/ Oklahoma State
Texas/ TCU/ Texas Tech

#1 I doubt you’d be able to leave Baylor out.

#2 If you were to decide between Baylor and TCU, Baylor is a lot more valuable to keep.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 3

2 hours ago, TXK said:

#1 I doubt you’d be able to leave Baylor out.

#2 If you were to decide between Baylor and TCU, Baylor is a lot more valuable to keep.

would the Big 12/PAC merger want a history of murder, rape, and art briles apologists or TCU? 

TCU is the correct answer. Leave baylor behind, let them wither without P5 support, it's what they deserve.

• Like 4

On 4/21/2020 at 8:00 AM, SwanderedTalent said:

Just navigating through Hulu is a big enough PITA

• Like 1