Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

Arkansas would be a helluva lot more relevant recruiting Texas effectively again.  They could easily be what Mizzou was a decade ago.  And there are real histories and rivalries to revive that I know most of you are too young to know about. 

Arkansas has to decide between money and relevance.

As Nebraska might be finding out, money is not the only thing that matters.

This probably isn't very likely but the Big 12 and Del Conte should be trying like hell anyway.

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Arky got completely shit on by the SEC this past week and their current leadership are all Texas guys and then there is the Jones family.

They've always had a battered spouse syndrome with the SEC and now they're realized they've been there 25 years and are still at the bottom.  

Arkansas has lost a lot of recruiting pull in Texas., especially in the DFW area  in the last decade or two.    .   

22 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Not showing up for me.... just big gray boxes

right click on them

choose "view image"

when the image page pops up it will probably be blank, but chop the "i." off of the URL that comes just after the html:// in the URL and hit enter and you will get the images

or let me see if it will show it likes to revert back to the i. url

1ShuSFU.png

W8qrt9A.png

3 hours ago, F250 said:

I am cool with Arkansas joining but why would they join? They fit well with the SEC and the conference is solid.

Nebraska belongs in the Big 12 North with ISU, K-State and Kansas.

Add Nebraska and kick WVU to the curb.

We can kidnap Colorado and allow Colorado State in as an act of good faith.

fuck CU just add CSU and let CU rot in the PAC 12

13 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

Any combination of Nebraska/ Arkansas/ Colorado/ Utah/ Arizona & Arizona State/ UCLA & USC works for me...

Colorado is dead weight at this point and long into the future

they have baked out, battery throwing, futon burners for fans and their facilities are shit and their budget is highly subsidized from the academic side which itself is always struggling for money

as much as it was true that CU wanted to be "west coast" and appeal to alumni out there and associate with the academics even more than that they were dying to get into a conferences that paid coaches much lower than everyone else, that did not have major facilities battles, and where academics did not get run over by athletics

I respect the PAC 12 for that, but unfortunately for CU (and really for college athletics in general) a number of teams in the PAC 12 decided they wanted to spend to try and catch up or keep up and CU was caught flat footed and unable to react and keep up

how they lost their corch and the hard time they had hiring a decent one after that shows what is going on with them and they are having issues now with the new one

CU belongs in a "hey fellas we are still over here in the PAC 10 or PAC 8 playing west coast football don't forget about us" type of conference

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, F250 said:

I am cool with Arkansas joining but why would they join? They fit well with the SEC and the conference is solid.

Recruiting.  They recruited really well in Texas before moving to the SEC.  Now?  Notsomuch.

4 hours ago, F250 said:

Arkansas in the SEC is what they've been for 30 years.  Arkansas in the Big 12 is Oklahoma State - but with more tradition, more in-conference respect, a bigger fanbase, and better financial resources.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, camel at sea said:

Arkansas in the SEC is what they've been for 30 years.  Arkansas in the Big 12 is Oklahoma State - but with more tradition, more in-conference respect, a bigger fanbase, and better financial resources.  

besides the finances and a somewhat bigger fan base brought about by being the only P5 team in the state the rest is just bullshit and just a surly attempt to shit in a Big 12 member because "shit on the Big 12" is a thing to do around here

since Arkansas joined the SEC SEC SEC and played their first season in 1992 they have been ranked 5 times: in 1998 (16/17), 1999 (17/19), 2006 (15/16), 2010 (12/12), 2011 (5/5)

so they have not been ranked in 8 years after Stoerner put the ball against the ground and took a sac for it against Tennessee and blew a chance to play for it all then their fuck face fans got in on Nutter and they have been in the shitter since

if you only go back to 1996 with OkState in the Big 12 they have been ranked 9 times: 1997 (24/24), 2008 (18/16), 2009 (25/-), 2010 (10/13), 2011 (3/3), 2013 (17/17), 2015 (19/20), 2016 (11/11), 2017 (14/14)

if you want to cut it to 8 times because of 2009 that is still a lot better than Arkansas and especially a lot better as of late....OkStare manages to keep a coach even with a lot of heat on him while Arkansas churns through one fuck face after another and could not even get a name coach to consider them last time around and had to hire a position coach because "the players like him"

OkState has had 6 losing seasons while in the Big 12 the last one being in 2005 (4-7) and before that 2001 (4-7).....OkState is 10-8 in bowl games in the Big 12

Arkansas has had 3 losing seasons in a row their last 3 seasons 4-8, 2-10, 2-10 and 12 losing seasons total in the SEC SEC SEC......Arkansas is 6-9 in 15 bowl games in the SEC SEC SEC

OkStste has won the Big 12 Arkansas has never won the SEC SEC SEC

at some point being CLEARLY a much shitter team over 28 seasons you kind of have to give up on the idea of "tradition" and you have to realize that SEC SEC SEC money is not buying you wins even with a schedule that gives you 4 OOC games a year

OkState has done much better and taken much more advantage of their place in the Big 12 than Arkansas that has gone from being a leader of the SWC to the very end to a team that could at least win their division and come close to winning the conference to a team that chalks up Ls and finishes in the lower half of their division while churning through coaches and all of that fan cash while talking about "tradition" in a conference they left almost 30 years ago

OkState might be fucking up their basketball right now, but Arkansas has fucked theirs up even worse in the SEC SEC SEC and OkState has a lot better recent record in the NCAAs in the Big 12 than Arkansas in the SEC SEC SEC and that leaves Baseball where Arkansas is clearly doing better (while pulling a "Gundy" in the CWS) two years ago

Edited by ButtFumble
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

At schools like Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Iowa, and Michigan State, I think athletics generally take priority over academics even though they all have strong academics.

Follow the money...

5 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

Exactly.  And it's the perfect fit for them.

Wish we wouldn't, but I can see the B12 welcoming back The Prodigal Corn.

Tis a good road trip, regardless.

Arky in the Big 12 would be a tier above Okie State.  They have a bigger fan base and significantly more money.  They would recruit Texas better than they do now so there’s that.  

If they had a coach who wasn’t lazy/drunk/stupid, they’d be a recruiting force in Texas, assuming they played multiple games per year there.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Thiefery said:

y'all do know even if they came back, they would start whining about the conference within 2 years, right? The reason why I would take Arkansas back before corn is that piggy didn't blame Texas for all it's trouble heading out the door.  When you talk to corn fans on boards they always throw money in the convo now, since that's the end all be all now.  Fuck them.

2 years?  Try 2 days.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Arky will never leave the SEC.

They won't, but would be great for the Big 12.  I've got relatives in Oklahoma and Arkansas, and between the relatives from those states and Texas, we'd all love to be playing each other every year.     Arky fans would have easier road trips, and the rivalries would resume/build really fast.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Arky in the Big 12 would be a tier above Okie State.  They have a bigger fan base and significantly more money.  They would recruit Texas better than they do now so there’s that.  

If they had a coach who wasn’t lazy/drunk/stupid, they’d be a recruiting force in Texas, assuming they played multiple games per year there.

FWIW fuck their baseball fans.

Here ya go:
Nebraska and Arky to the Big 12
Missouri to the Big 10.
SEC stays at 12 and they're better off doing that without two mouths to feed.

I would love to Iowa as well. Balance with Colorado

I know Iowa will never leave but... good basketball school, decent football.

I want a crack at Colorado again after the Simms debacle.

You have to ask yourself how much more can Arkansas contribute to their fundraising in the athletic department if they were winning again.  How much more is their radio deals worth, how much more in apparel sales do they get?  Does that create a travel savings? 

Those numbers add up and eat into any tv revenue advantage.   Also, would a Neb./Arkansas addition help bridge some of the revenue gap with the SEC?  You can certainly argue the content of  Arkansas is worth a lot more in the Big 12 than the SEC.

Finally, when does winning matter?  Does anyone hang banners for being in the league with the highest tv revenue? 

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, TexasBeta said:

I want a crack at Colorado again after the Simms debacle.

We got several of them after the Simms debacle. Like that 70-3 time.

And that version of Colorado from 2001 has long since ceased to exist. Beating them now means nothing.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 3

Finally, when does winning matter?  Does anyone hang banners for being in the league with the highest tv revenue? 

The farmers do.

I personally miss the Arkansas rivalry. Tony Jones in the end zone....Strollin’ Nolan...

Back then it was a real blood feud. OU and Arky... that was real hate.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Win5002 said:

You have to ask yourself how much more can Arkansas contribute to their fundraising in the athletic department if they were winning again.  How much more is their radio deals worth, how much more in apparel sales do they get?  Does that create a travel savings? 

Those numbers add up and eat into any tv revenue advantage.   Also, would a Neb./Arkansas addition help bridge some of the revenue gap with the SEC?  You can certainly argue the content of  Arkansas is worth a lot more in the Big 12 than the SEC.

Arkansas is a weird school.  They’re much like West Virginia.  They’re a small school in a small state but have a large and mostly deranged fan base who have no tie to the school at all.

In the case of Arky, they have an avid fan base for both basketball and baseball that would benefit their Tier 3 rights. 

Has there been a bigger disaster for any teams looking for greener pastures?  Nebraska, Colorado, Missouri, Arkansas and aggy?  No way Colorado even followed the money.  They lost money.  Nebraska, Missouri and Arkansas added funds but at what price?  

Good point. It’s truly hard to outdo aggy in the “Biggest Dumbass” contest, but Colorado is giving it a run. Whomever among their BMD said it was a good idea to join the PAC must be feeling like a true stupid shit right now.

Has there been a bigger disaster for any teams looking for greener pastures?  Nebraska, Colorado, Missouri, Arkansas and aggy?  No way Colorado even followed the money.  They lost money.  Nebraska, Missouri and Arkansas added funds but at what price?  

Good point. It’s truly hard to outdo aggy in the “Biggest Dumbass” contest, but Colorado is giving it a run. Whomever among their BMD said it was a good idea to join the PAC must be feeling like a true stupid shit right now.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Joel Klatt decidedly does not.

gWqTxEJ.gif

We were a missed field goal away from taking their place as the sacrificial lamb that year.

I contend we'd have put up a better fight (we did beat CU pretty convincingly that year).  We had a really good defense that was excellent at forcing turnovers, and I suspect that UT (especially in those days) would have taken us lightly.  I could have seen us hanging around for a bit, before getting handled down the stretch.  Halftime score of something like 20-17.  Final of 48-24 or something like that.

But Dan McCarney was a gutless pussy when he had any kind of lead, and the world will never know.  That 2005 ISU team should have legitimately been 11-0 heading into the Big 12 title game.  After getting our beat down from UT, we'd have likely been a BCS at large.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Arkansas is a weird school.  They’re much like West Virginia.  They’re a small school in a small state but have a large and mostly deranged fan base who have no tie to the school at all.

In the case of Arky, they have an avid fan base for both basketball and baseball that would benefit their Tier 3 rights. 

I think I used to hate Arky fans more than OUsux fans back in the day.  Unlike aggy fans who we just accept who they are and laugh.

11 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Or three.

That's true.  I had to go back and look at their records in the 90's after they left the SWC and they had only one 9 win season during that span.   They were not worth a bucket of spit that whole decade and pretty much have stayed there since then save 2005, 2010-11.  

2 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

That's true.  I had to go back and look at their records in the 90's after they left the SWC and they had only one 9 win season during that span.   They were not worth a bucket of spit that whole decade and pretty much have stayed there since then save 2005, 2010-11.  

It has been a really long time now but at the time it was kind of hilarious how fast it happened. They went from a consistent-ish top 10 power in the 1980s and dropping off a cliff into nothing virtually the second they announced going to the SEC.

Fine by me. Those Arky doofuses accepted their new status as second rate losers just fine, so long as they weren't losing to Texas.

11 hours ago, BevoSwag said:

Nebraska had success before the Big 12, but those other schools success came mostly at recruited Texas because of their affiliations to the state. Most of that went away when they turned their backs on those affiliations. 

Edited by HtownHorn

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

Nebraska had success before the Big 12, but those other schools success came mostly at recruited Texas because of their affiliations to the state. Most of that went away when they turned their backs on those affliations. 

Nebraska was able to recruit nationally before, not sure what happened.