Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

Well, if the Big 12 no longer exists, it changes the calculus a bunch. SEC would occupy most at-large spots and get a lot more money. 
The thing I don't get is more that the SEC just got a new TV deal and adding two would take the per team amount away unless there's something baked in for this scenario. 
Flipside, could this be a way to fold the LHN into the ESPN property to save ESPN long term $ and be moved over to the SEC as a whole?

I’m sure there’s a “we just added two to ten draws” clause

6 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Doing this right before the playoffs expand seems…not smart. 

Yea if the team gets on the right track all you have to do is beat OU in December every year and not lose to anyone else in the conference and you are in the playoffs every year.  A two loss team could easily make the playoffs from the big 12 with expansion to 12 teams.  Fuck a 18 team conference that’s too much.  

• Hook 'Em 3

Texas, Oklahoma officials evasive when asked about possible discussions with SEC

Texas and Oklahoma have been talking with Southeastern Conference officials about leaving the Big 12 and joining the SEC, according to a report published Wednesday in the Houston Chronicle. 

An announcement could come within weeks, the newspaper reported. However, high-level sources at both schools were evasive when asked about the situation by the American-Statesman.

“Sorry, I can’t comment on all the athletic rumors swirling around right now in this crazy time,” Texas President Jay Hartzell told the Statesman last week.

An Oklahoma source in the athletic department told the Statesman, “Come on now? Is this groundhog day all over again?”

At SEC media days in Hoover, Ala., SEC commissioner Greg Sankey had “no comment on that speculation,” according to CBS Sports.

For any new team to join the SEC, it would take a majority decision by the league’s members. Texas A&M left the Big 12 and joined the SEC prior to the 2012 football season in part to get away from Texas.

“We want to be the only SEC team from the state of Texas,” A&M athletic director Ross Bjork told Sports Illustrated on Wednesday. “There’s a reason why Texas A&M left the Big 12 — to be stand alone and have our own identity. That’s our feeling.”

What could be driving the discussions? College football has been rocked by a series of changes in recent years, most notable the transfer portal and new rules about name, image and likeness.

Also, most major conference TV contracts are up for renewal in 2023 or 2024. Presidents and athletic directors are now talking about expanding the College Football Playoff to 12 teams. It’s unclear how any of these changes are going to affect the financial dynamics in play. 

I prefer the SuperPAC just because the road trips are way more fun but I can come around on a division schedule with OU, LSU, pig, and yes, aggy

Road trips would be a blast, but the 9pm kickoffs for every other west coast game would tire my old ass out.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Yessir.  Wonder if it would be four team divisions though?  

Oh I’m sure it would be eight to a division. The other games would just be some shit I care about no more, or eve less than, K State or Ok State or whatever. Misery, klan aggy, etc.

Just now, gmr548 said:

Oh I’m sure it would be eight to a division. The other games would just be some shit I care about no more, or eve less than, K State or Ok State or whatever. Misery, klan aggy, etc.

Sure. But please miss us a fun road trip and cross division could involve uf, uga and Tennessee.  I’m all for this 

Road trips would be a blast, but the 9pm kickoffs for every other west coast game would tire my old ass out.

I mean Texas probably plays one west coast game a year in that setup.
Well and UT shouldn’t be selecting conference based on “fun road trips for fans.”

Obviously. They’ll go where the money is or stay in the Big 12 off the difference isn’t worth rocking the boat. A boy can dream though.

Lets talk divisions... 

You want old school two divisions... or pods? 

– Texas
– Oklahoma
– Texas A&M
– Arkansas
– LSU
– Missouri
– Ole Miss
– Miss State

------
– Alabama
– Auburn
– Florida
– Georgia
– Tennessee
– Vanderbilt
– South Carolina
– Kentucky
-----------------------Or---------------------

– Texas
– Oklahoma
– Texas A&M
– Arkansas

---
– LSU
– Missouri
– Ole Miss
– Miss State

---
– Alabama
– Auburn
– Tennessee
– Vanderbilt

---
– Florida
– Georgia
– South Carolina
– Kentucky

Edited by jwtexan
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

Oh its def happening now. I can feel Looch's butthurt through the screen. 

Well he's right about one thing. If it happened it would be tipping point to trigger the inevitable 4 team super conference setup. The other conferences couldn't just stand pat and watch the SEC add Texas and OU without at least trying to counter. 

Of course he's wrong that we'd need the Armageddon to happen to join. We'd be causing it by our own choice. 

Edited by UncleSonny

Well if 16 is the magic number, then maybe Tech, TCU, OSU, and KU can join the PAC. I'd be cool with KSU and ISU too in an 18 team conference. If Big 10 wants KU, maybe they'd take ISU too. Who knows. What a fucking mess this would cause. I'm not seeing it. I think both Texas and OU would be better for the PAC, culturally, fan interest, etc., and could help the PAC get fewer pacific time late games. UT, Tech, OU, OSU to PAC. Fuck everyone else (I don't like others being left out but I want my school to survive realignment).

3 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

Pac-12 works for a variety of reasons, outside of "fun road trips." Culturally, academically, etc. 

Seems like SEC has much more smoke though.

It would be a strain on the Olympic sports.  You have to consider the best conference for all of the sports—not just football. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, 'stache said:

Well if 16 is the magic number, then maybe Tech, TCU, OSU, and KU can join the PAC. I'd be cool with KSU and ISU too in an 18 team conference. If Big 10 wants KU, maybe they'd take ISU too. Who knows. What a fucking mess this would cause. I'm not seeing it. I think both Texas and OU would be better for the PAC, culturally, fan interest, etc., and could help the PAC get fewer pacific time late games. UT, Tech, OU, OSU to PAC. Fuck everyone else (I don't like others being left out but I want my school to survive realignment).

do you want to stay up until 12am for every night road game?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, jwtexan said:

– Texas
– Oklahoma
– Texas A&M
– Arkansas
– LSU
– Missouri
– Ole Miss
– Miss State

------
– Alabama
– Auburn
– Florida
– Georgia
– Tennessee
– Vanderbilt
– South Carolina
– Kentucky

Can we has OSU and KU to the west, and move Mississippis to the east?

34 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

Wow, that would shock the hell out of me, especially considering the Sooner's stance on OkSt.

So would the B1G grab the Cyclones and Jayhawks, the ACC grab WVU, and the Pac grabs the rest?

If this happens (and it's not going to happen) I would assume that would be the move.  The Big 10 and ACC are going to want to fill out, ISU and KU are the only logical available choices for the Big 10 based on academics and geography, WVU + Notre Dame fills the ACC, and the Pac 12 adds KSU, OSU, Tech, and probably TCU (being as they are less religious and rapey than Baylor).

18 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

Wow aggy wants to gum up the OU & UT PAC deal, now may want to gum up OU & UT to SEC..? Well, furk aggy, bring back 77-0 whippings...

I do wonder as poster, could this be to 'gum up" another option as well..? I have no idea unless a reforming of XII & PAC totally vs SEC move...

Untitled111.png

I smell bullshit. "OU and Texas have reached out" is way different than "announcement could come quick." Yeah, "reach out" could be a phone call. Announcement would take a lot of consulting and finding the most diplomatic way to tell aggy to get fuct.