Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

They might do it that way, too. Have "pods" of 4 - so we'd play OU, Arky, aggy every year. Then play the remaining 12 teams on a rotating home and home. 

I actually love that idea. You'd get every team in Austin once every 4 years. Arky and aggy every other year. 

Yep. It's the perfect solution to ensure everyone plays each other while also maintaining regional rivalries. 

18 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I think it’s more likely the leftovers are picked apart and it’s musical chairs for the last few P4 spots.

Lol imagine walking up to the podium to announce that shit. 

yes I'd like to welcome you Pac 12 media days, and let's get right to the big announcement: we are beyond excited to announce the addition of Oklahoma (mumbles state) and Texas (mumbles tech). 

• Haha 2

Just now, Al_4_ISU said:

I’ll enjoy you going 6-6 and whining about how you never should have nuked the Big 12.

Nah.  This has been the least attractive option to me and part of the reason is shit talking fans who are ungrateful we saved their ass from Bolivia.  Tuck Texas amirite?   Lol.  Better call big brother Iowa and have them put on a word

14 minutes ago, TexasMan said:

These stories they make up inside their head are hilarious 

For those of you who say there is no discernible upside for us going to the SEC, I argue watching the complete and total destruction of A&M’s athletics is almost worth it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I’ll enjoy you going 6-6 and whining about how you never should have nuked the Big 12.

I think you’re kinda joking here, but one thing I’ve never understood is other people thinking it’s UT’s job to keep the conference together for the sake of other universities.  UT has to do what’s best for UT. 

• Hook 'Em 4

From some farmer on SECRANT - "Most of you folks have no idea of the money, power, and politics involved. Texas will need support from the Leg to leave. Abbott is a Texas grad but that isn't nearly enough. Tech, TCU, and Baylor will fight like hell to keep them from leaving and blowing up the Big 12. That means Waco, Fort Worth, and Lubbock for starters plus a LOT of very powerful alums.

A&M has the second most power of them all and they have a massive trump card. The Permanent University Fund goes 1/3rd to A&M and 2/3rds to Texas and Tech and the rest get nothing. If A&M went along that extra 1/3rd Texas gets can be redistributed and Texas will do anything to stop that from happening. A&M can swing the votes either way by pushing their political power for or against Texas on any of those issues because since we are not in the same conference with them and we have enough of our own resources (along with almost half a million alumni) they cannot defeat us if we go along with the other 4. Oh, and you better bet your arse that SMU, Houston, and Rice and their alums have no love lost for the sips either.

The day I knew A&M was going to the SEC was the day that Dodd's foolishly came out and said that as long as Texas was there the Big 12 would exist. That gave A&M its freedom papers and bound the fates of the other schools to Texas who were happy not to be thrown into the abyss like SMU, Rice, and Houston.

A&M and Texas control the state because in the end we work together where it counts. The beginning of every session of the Leg starts with an "Orange and Maroon Day" that is basically the alums of both schools reminding them of that. Texas simply cannot afford for A&M to abandon them for the others politically."

Wtf is he talking about regarding the PUF?

51 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

So everyone involved seemed to do a pretty amazing job keeping this under wraps until today's Chron report. Realistic odds Aggy leaked it to try to torpedo it?

Chron article dropped then all of a sudden everybody and their dog had a source who was running at the mouth

10 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I think you’re kinda joking here, but one thing I’ve never understood is other people thinking it’s UT’s job to keep the conference together for the sake of other universities.  UT has to do what’s best for UT. 

I get that, and that's my point.  Plus, it was in response to closetohumping being a douche bag.

It seems really obvious that this won't be better for Texas.  Leaving the Big 12 hasn't really been better for anyone, other than granting them haven from the constant threat that you guys and OU are gonna blow shit up.

Ohio State and Michigan don't do this to Purdue and Iowa.  

Edited by Al_4_ISU

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

They might do it that way, too. Have "pods" of 4 - so we'd play OU, Arky, aggy every year. Then play the remaining 12 teams on a rotating home and home. 

I actually love that idea. You'd get every team in Austin once every 4 years. Arky and aggy every other year. 

i'm not quite on to pods because the set of rivalries isn't overlapping.  with 3 protected games and the others rotating you could get alabama playing its 3 biggest rivals each year and auburn playing its 3 biggest rivals each year - so they'd play each other, maybe both play tennessee, but alabama might play LSU and auburn might play georgia. 

Correct. And our “payoff” for keeping it together is getting shit on continually by teams like Tech and TCU (who can thank Deloss for being in the Big 12.

Fuck it. Let’s do this once and for all.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

Correct. And our “payoff” for keeping it together is getting shit on continually by teams like Tech and TCU (who can thank Deloss for being in the Big 12.

Yep everyone in this conference hates us even though we kept the league together.  Yes I know it certainly benefited us as welll. But fuck it let’s bail. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

For those of you who say there is no discernible upside for us going to the SEC, I argue watching the complete and total destruction of A&M’s athletics is almost worth it. 

I couldn't care less. Now maybe that is foolish and A&M represents some big threat that must be countered, but generally it is hard for me to make putting them in their place that big of a deal. I want us to win, I don't care what happens to A&M.

• Hook 'Em 1

Agreed...so fucking do it already so we can all move on. This whole charade has been a joke since the conference should have dissolved a decade ago.

26 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

NIL and expanded playoffs have crystalized the mission.  Academics no longer (never did and never should have) matter(ed).  If Texas joins the SEC, it immediately becomes one of two kingpins in that conference from a brand and monetary perspective.  Winning on the field should have never been as hard as it has been, and playing in the SEC will clear that fog, pronto.

This is really the best, and frankly, the only solution.  Fuck A&M, fuck SEC realignment, fuck it all.  [b]Texas & OU join, start calling shots, and that's that.  [/b]I'm not saying either school has more power than 'bammer or LSU or UGA or even UF, but they don't have less.  Over time that conference could virtually dictate every policy worth a damn and the NCAA couldn't do shit.  Notre Dame becomes the one remaining wild card.

lol…no. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TexasBeta said:

From some farmer on SECRANT - "Most of you folks have no idea of the money, power, and politics involved. Texas will need support from the Leg to leave. Abbott is a Texas grad but that isn't nearly enough. Tech, TCU, and Baylor will fight like hell to keep them from leaving and blowing up the Big 12. That means Waco, Fort Worth, and Lubbock for starters plus a LOT of very powerful alums.

A&M has the second most power of them all and they have a massive trump card. The Permanent University Fund goes 1/3rd to A&M and 2/3rds to Texas and Tech and the rest get nothing. If A&M went along that extra 1/3rd Texas gets can be redistributed and Texas will do anything to stop that from happening. A&M can swing the votes either way by pushing their political power for or against Texas on any of those issues because since we are not in the same conference with them and we have enough of our own resources (along with almost half a million alumni) they cannot defeat us if we go along with the other 4. Oh, and you better bet your arse that SMU, Houston, and Rice and their alums have no love lost for the sips either.

The day I knew A&M was going to the SEC was the day that Dodd's foolishly came out and said that as long as Texas was there the Big 12 would exist. That gave A&M its freedom papers and bound the fates of the other schools to Texas who were happy not to be thrown into the abyss like SMU, Rice, and Houston.

A&M and Texas control the state because in the end we work together where it counts. The beginning of every session of the Leg starts with an "Orange and Maroon Day" that is basically the alums of both schools reminding them of that. Texas simply cannot afford for A&M to abandon them for the others politically."

Wtf is he talking about regarding the PUF?

The Texas Legislature is deadlocked and impotent in a different pissing contest right now, as the Texas House of Representatives lacks a quorum to conduct business, and this stalemate/Mexican-standoff may last for MONTHS, so the Legislature can do nothing but twiddle their thumbs until that is resolved -- the *perfect* time to do this and have it DONE before the Legislature could possibly punish Texas and take away the PUF.  

How's that going to look when this UT/Mobilhoma to SEC deal was done months ago and the Legislature decides to retroactively feel repressed anger enough over this to yank the PUF rug out from under The University? I don't see it; the political cycles will have turned many times since the contracts were signed for any repercussions for Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, TexasBeta said:

That means Waco, Fort Worth, and Lubbock for starters plus a LOT of very powerful alums.

Ah yes. Waco, Fort Worth and Lubbock. Absolute powerhouses of influence and economic production for the great state of Texas. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

At this point with the SEC network already showing all of the nonrevenue sports, why not kill the LHN and if the $$ makes sense?

Dumbass aggy fucked up putting high school sports on there, so the value it was bringing exposure to the other non-televised content and having our own studio. If that gets rolled into the SECN, what do we lose?

4 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Yep everyone in this conference hates us even though we kept the league together.  Yes I know it certainly benefited us as welll. But fuck it let’s bail. 

We're everyone's bad guys. Let's just play the damn role then.

ae1b932437ef7f1704d243e09ec086dc.gif

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I get that, and that's my point.

It seems really obvious that this won't be better for Texas.  Leaving the Big 12 hasn't really been better for anyone, other than granting them haven from the constant threat that you guys and OU are gonna blow shit up.

Ohio State and Michigan don't do this to Purdue and Iowa.  

Losing their pipeline to recruiting in Texas hasn't worked?

tenor.gif?itemid=15073512

• Hook 'Em 1