Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

6 minutes ago, PatrickMcHorn said:

The general idea is that baylor, tech, and tcu get all their grad-reps together and threaten to fuck with UT's funding if they leave their schools high and dry.

For the record, I think it happens unless they feel really good about their landing spots, it's whether UT calls the bluff or not that's the bigger question.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Legislative funding isn't nearly the share of the University's budget as it was in the mid-1990s.  The Legislature's chronic underfunding of higher education has reached the point that I don't think it has much leverage.  The University could lose all funding from the Legislature, and I'm not sure it would make that big a difference (speaking of the Austin campus only).

Beyond that, the mid-1990s were a different time, politically.  I don't think saving Baylor's bacon is going to be very high on any Democrat's agenda.  After Ken Starr and the rapes, Baylor is pretty fucking toxic to the Democratic base (and hence to their representatives in the Legislature).  And is saving Baylor really something the Republicans are going to rally around, when they've got much bigger headaches to deal with (e.g., redistricting).

Tech may be a different story.  But at the same time, Tech has a much greater chance of landing someplace favorable (e.g., the PAC).  So I don't think Tech and Baylor should be treated as necessarily being in the same boat.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, RPM said:

Exclusive: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference

What the everloving fuck is going on?

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/college/article/Texas-Oklahoma-reach-out-to-SEC-about-joining-16330080.php

Did Horns/OU really reach out to sec or did sec reach out to Tex/OU?  Also, if Tex/OU reached out to sec, did Texas reach out to OU or vice versa?  Who really started this?

From the mom of a UF player:

And….I just learned that Florida gals leave a tampon in for their entire period.

Eeeeew.

No thanks.

I am not at full brain capacity at the moment, but I count at least 12 separate threads on txaggy regarding this news. Hahahahaha. Fuck man, what a bunch of douchebag, little brother, never has been losers.

Never has been? NEVER? Good sir, 1939, a mere 92 years ago, would like a word!

a4bfd0a9a47ae940ba5ac77dd24c3ad25cf1ae32.gifv

Michelle Dockery pines for me. I know this for a fact.
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

But at the same time, Tech has a much greater chance of landing someplace favorable (e.g., the PAC).  So I don't think Tech and Baylor should be treated as necessarily being in the same boat.

I'm not sure I buy that. Baylor is a better school and has had the better football program post Leach. Unless you're assuming the rape stuff plays a big factor.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Sure - but I don't see anyone from the American rushing to join a neutered B12. I'd think it would be more likely for the American to pick up a couple of the B12 schools. 

Pretty much every member of the Big 12 is individually more valuable than every member of the AAC.  If you wanted to quibble about a couple, I hear you, but the Big 12 + a few AAC >>> the AAC + a few Big 12 members.  There are HS football teams in Texas with more fans than Tulsa.  Tulane and some others aren't much better.  

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Legislative funding isn't nearly the share of the University's budget as it was in the mid-1990s.  The Legislature's chronic underfunding of higher education has reached the point that I don't think it has much leverage.  The University could lose all funding from the Legislature, and I'm not sure it would make that big a difference (speaking of the Austin campus only).

Beyond that, the mid-1990s were a different time, politically.  I don't think saving Baylor's bacon is going to be very high on any Democrat's agenda.  After Ken Starr and the rapes, Baylor is pretty fucking toxic to the Democratic base (and hence to their representatives in the Legislature).  And is saving Baylor really something the Republicans are going to rally around, when they've got much bigger headaches to deal with (e.g., redistricting).

Tech may be a different story.  But at the same time, Tech has a much greater chance of landing someplace favorable (e.g., the PAC).  So I don't think Tech and Baylor should be treated as necessarily being in the same boat.

This.  Highly underrated is the funding cuts from the state ledge.  Believe it or not, my wife brought this up.  "They keep cutting their funding anyway so why should the schools be driven by what they say?"

Never thought about that but most excellent point.

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm not sure I buy that. Baylor is a better school and has had the better football program post Leach. Unless you're assuming the rape stuff plays a big factor.

The Baptist thing (plus the rape thing) should make them a no-go for the PAC.  The ACC and BIG have better options and will only be looking for 2 teams at most.

2 minutes ago, PassiveAggressiveCoach said:

I won't ever chant sec sec like aggy but I will thoroughly enjoy it for 1 reason. It's all aggy had and now it will be gone. Horns yet again screwing aggy. Texags is in full meltdown. That makes me know this could be the right move. 

I’m on the record as saying anything is better than the Big 12 but if I ever see any Texas fan chanting that “SEC SEC!” faggotry I will throat punch them. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

And before the rape news, their baseball players tortured/killed cats.

(Baylor's own website!)
https://www.baylor.edu/alumni/magazine/0101/news.php?action=story&story=7342

Just now, Newy25 said:

I’m on the record as saying anything is better than the Big 12 but if I ever see any Texas fan chanting that “SEC SEC!” faggotry I will throat punch them. 

Unless we have a big lead late in the fourth quarter in College Station. Then it would be hilarious.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

This.  Highly underrated is the funding cuts from the state ledge.  Believe it or not, my wife brought this up.  "They keep cutting their funding anyway so why should the schools be driven by what they say?"
Related/unrelated to prove the point... I asked a buddy that heads up admissions for a flagship state school out east why so many public schools are taking a higher percentage of out of state students every year and why don't the legislatures push back on that. She gave the exact same answer. Statehouses are unable to provide the needed funding so they admit more and more out of state kids to get triple the money per kid to offset, and capitols can't say shit be because they can't pony up.

1 minute ago, Texasrocks said:

Unless we have a big lead late in the fourth quarter in College Station. Then it would be hilarious.

Yes I should have qualified with  “unless it is being done cynically”. Then yes troll the fuck out them. 

Just now, DCLonghorn said:
5 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Related/unrelated to prove the point... I asked a buddy that heads up admissions for a flagship state school out east why so many public schools are taking a higher percentage of out of state students every year and why don't the legislatures push back on that. She gave the exact same answer. Statehouses are unable to provide the needed funding so they admit more and more out of state kids to get triple the money per kid to offset, and capitols can't say shit be because they can't pony up.

Most big name public schools could probably file as a private institution with the limited % of overall funding they receive from their own states. I would see this go something like this...

We are going to cut your funding if you go to the SEC

We are going to reclassify as a private institution and all of those little fiefdoms that are controlled by the legislature in the UT system now will go away...

Oh Shit... my bad...

This is a great threat, but would hurt way too much politically to ever attempt it out of spite.

• Hook 'Em 2

It's fractions of what it was 20 years ago, but it's still $350 million (and decresing) annually, plus the AUF, plus the PUF. It shouldn't be dismissed as a non-factor because it's smaller than it once was.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, DCLonghorn said:
12 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I read an article about University of Washington doing this. Over the course of a few years it became significantly more difficult for in-state kids to get admitted because the school is making more room for higher-tuition-paying nonresidents. Even with offering some financial aid to offset the higher out-of-state tuition they still make a lot more on nonresident students.

Edited by South Austin

Nothing that hasn’t really been posted before but interesting nonetheless…

“As for Texas, sources tell Dawg Sports that the university has been considering a move to the SEC at least since late last year. That individual confirmed that a potential move to the SEC was discussed among UT donors and administrators during the coaching search that resulted in the hire of new head football coach Steve Sarkisian.“

https://www.dawgsports.com/platform/amp/2021/7/21/22587585/texas-oklahoma-sec-longhorn-network-contract?utm_campaign=dawgsports&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1