Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

13 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

I don't think it will be settled this time like other times there is too much at stake

There are no landing pads for current Big 12 members that make sense and they are not going to let a dollar slip away on settling anything

Unless ESPN (and Fox that has mostly bowed out of college sports lately) is going to give the remaining Big 12 members a TV deal that keeps then even with the PAC 12 and ACC long term there is no chance they settle

ESPN could offer that contract to entice the Big 12 to let those games be shown, but it better be a good contract

plus that 12 hour notice rule is there for a reason in Texas and OU have been ignoring that then that could be very costly in court

Nope, not settling and dragging out years of litigation get's nothing for anyone. This is a business decision, refusing to televise games means Fox is going to withhold money from the contract and all the schools lose out. 

When it comes to millions of dollars for the 8 schools, it 100% will be worked out. MAD sounds great for angry fans, but not institutions that need capital to operate. 

I know this is a long article so ill cut and paste a few of the tidbits that i think are interesting

https://www.dawgsports.com/platform/amp/2021/7/21/22587585/texas-oklahoma-sec-longhorn-network-contract?utm_campaign=dawgsports&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

"Oklahoma and Texas joining the SEC would reset the league's television contracts. That would result in "an increase in revenue of at least 10 million a year for each of the league's member institutions," from revamped television contracts alone according to one source."

"One potential hurdle to the move is the Longhorn Network. The contract between Texas and ESPN runs through 2031, and the university earns approximately 15 million dollars a year under the current agreement. Sources believe that any move to the SEC would be dependent on the dissolution of the cable channel.

Sources close to the University of Texas have told Dawg Sports that Texas "would be willing to scrap it, and believe the move to the SEC would ultimately result in more money for the university.""

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Gidnik said:

I know this is a long article so ill cut and paste a few of the tidbits that i think are interesting

https://www.dawgsports.com/platform/amp/2021/7/21/22587585/texas-oklahoma-sec-longhorn-network-contract?utm_campaign=dawgsports&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

"Oklahoma and Texas joining the SEC would reset the league's television contracts. That would result in "an increase in revenue of at least 10 million a year for each of the league's member institutions," from revamped television contracts alone according to one source."

"One potential hurdle to the move is the Longhorn Network. The contract between Texas and ESPN runs through 2031, and the university earns approximately 15 million dollars a year under the current agreement. Sources believe that any move to the SEC would be dependent on the dissolution of the cable channel.

Sources close to the University of Texas have told Dawg Sports that Texas "would be willing to scrap it, and believe the move to the SEC would ultimately result in more money for the university.""

Thought the LHN contract is only through 2025? ESPN could just absorb those numbers into the SEC network numbers right? It’s not like LHN was a fox network. 

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Thought the LHN contract is only through 2025? ESPN could just absorb those numbers into the SEC network numbers right? It’s not like LHN was a fox network. 

i would be telling you a lie if i told you anything.  

1 minute ago, Jirao said:

Auburn fan here. Just wanted to note that the SEC has a new TV deal in place starting in 2024 which means all of the SEC events will be on ESPN. So I assume this would help speed up a move? 

Also hope this all comes thru as having Texas and Oklahoma in the league would be great IMO 

Strong first post.  Welcome aboard. 

9 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

That is exactly why most cases settle - because there is too much at stake.

they are fighting over about $180 million

the Big 12 will be holding on to $90 million of that with a final year distribution that would happen after any members leave

so they are really fighting over about $90 million......but if it is shown that Texas and OU are talking to the SEC and have not given the required 12 hour notice to the Big 12 that is a problem and opens up a lot more damages as the Big 12 contract states

also since the Big 12 just talked to the "media partners" if it is known that Texas and OU were talking to the SEC and had not given the 12 hour notice that is a problem if there was any conference votes taken on anything related to talking with ESPN or Fox or both about going ahead and doing an early extension (which was talked about in the article)

if it is shown that ESPN was in on the talks with the SEC about OU and Texas and that required 12 hour notice was not given that could be a major problem and could drag ESPN into the lawsuit......ESPN has to know of the existance of that clause and as a partner to the Big 12 and as a partner that was just talking to the Big 12 about if an extension could or could not happen if at the same time they were talking to the SEC and Texas and OU about making that happen then that could be a major problem

the Big 12 members that remain are in a bad spot and they are going to scorched earth if all of this is true and it may well not end up good for Texas and OU and ESPN....I would imagine the SEC will be drug in as well

Ohhhhh this is delicious….

“You knew disruption was coming,” says one college administrator. “At the end of the day, it’s all going to be about money.”

The report stunned Bjork, he says.

In fact, as The Houston Chronicle’s story published at about 2:40 p.m. local time, Bjork was speaking to two reporters, shooting the you-know-what about everything in college athletics (oddly enough, much of the conversation centered on the long-running feud between the Aggies and Longhorns—they haven’t played since A&M left the Big 12 in 2012).

In the middle of the conversation, Bjork’s phone buzzed and up flashed the caller ID: It was school president Katherine Banks.

“I’ve got to take this,” Bjork said, “it’s the boss.”

Banks, his own president, informed Bjork of the story in a 10-minute phone call that unfolded just before his head football coach, Jimbo Fisher, took the main stage for his appearance at SEC media days. 

Minutes later, the AD stepped into a dimly lit hallway here, smiled and delivered an unmistakable message to a group of reporters, jump starting one of the more bizarre days to ever transpire at this event.

https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2021/07/22/texas-oklahoma-sec-inquiry-stuns-sec-texas-am?__twitter_impression=true

And we all know what Bjork said right after that…wow…

• Hook 'Em 7

1 minute ago, Jirao said:

Auburn fan here. Just wanted to note that the SEC has a new TV deal in place starting in 2024 which means all of the SEC events will be on ESPN (ive seen others on these forums say otherwise). So I assume this would help speed up a move? 

Also hope this all comes thru as having Texas and Oklahoma in the league would be great IMO 

Jordan Hare is on my to visit bucket list

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Both Tacos said:
3 hours ago, Drew said:
Nah, they've already twisted it to "Texas is desperate to join the SEC and follow OUR footsteps"

Yes, we want to follow them to continue to kick their ass.

If this happens…they never saw the “long game” coming. Chess vs checkers. Value vs claptrap. Same as it’s always been. 
Gomer> Surprise, surprise, surprise! <Pyle

• Like 1

Considering that there's no real big dog in the SEC other than Saban, who will eventually retire, would Texas end up running the conference as the most valuable franchise by a factor of 2 or 3 compared to say Florida or Georgia?

Edited by Orale

It’s not at all really. Most old school Gators I know miss playing Auburn and would love to have a yearly shot at Bama. Auburn not playing Georgia every year was a big issue with Auburn fans I know too. 

This would actually fix some of those rivalries. I’m curious how they would do the cross over. Would they go to 9 league games? Stick with one cross over every year? Only one cross over would suck. 

Honestly despite being a super conference, a nine game schedule in this hypothetical SEC creates two divisions with excellent regional rivalries and enough opportunities for crossover that the other division’s teams aren’t complete strangers. Almost all of the existing crossover rivalries are preserved by the common sense move of Bama and Auburn to the east, Mizzou to the west, and filling with Texas and OU. LSU is probably the biggest loser, losing Florida and Alabama, but the latter also owns them so it can be an escape.

2 minutes ago, Gidnik said:

Jordan Hare is on my to visit bucket list

DKR is on mine. Was hoping we would schedule a Home and Home with you guys but looks like the SEC will do that for us :)

Edited by Jirao
  • Hook 'Em 5

39 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Everyone left in the B12 is going to huff and puff and file lawsuits, but in the end everything will be settled. No one is going to refuse to televise games, there's way too much money at stake. The networks will have a big say in this as well. The rapists or someone else going scorched earth will just screw themselves once the current contract expires.  

Not that it's beneath them to be that petty or anything..... Lulz.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Oh, fuck off with this shit.  It's terrible and it's not likely to happen.  The Pac 12 is desperate to make some kind of splash, and if the Big 10 adds KU they're going to add a 16th team.

Between those two, it's really unlikely ISU gets left in some kind of AAC bullshit.  I hated listening to this patronizing bullshit 10 years ago, and I hate it even more now that we're actually relevant and have dramatically improved our facilities.

al, unfortunately i have to agree with wulaw here.

the pac are not taking isu, tech, ksu or osu.

your best hope is the b1g along with ku.

and you deserve that.  you would certainly carry your weight better than purdue, illinois, indiana, and even corn for that matter.

but i could just as easily see horse trading that gets mizzou their b1g fantasy come true along with ku and that's that you are toast.

it's aac and byu for you.

this is shit and i feel terrible for you, oSu, ksu and tech, when oregon state, washington state, klan aggy, purdue, and vanderbilt get to keep their chair at the parent's table.

40 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Everyone left in the B12 is going to huff and puff and file lawsuits, but in the end everything will be settled. No one is going to refuse to televise games, there's way too much money at stake. The networks will have a big say in this as well. The rapists or someone else going scorched earth will just screw themselves once the current contract expires.  

TX and OU will also just say they are doing what’s best to maximize their players value and earning potential. Let a politician get in front of that bus. 

3 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

they are fighting over about $180 million

the Big 12 will be holding on to $90 million of that with a final year distribution that would happen after any members leave

so they are really fighting over about $90 million......but if it is shown that Texas and OU are talking to the SEC and have not given the required 12 hour notice to the Big 12 that is a problem and opens up a lot more damages as the Big 12 contract states

also since the Big 12 just talked to the "media partners" if it is known that Texas and OU were talking to the SEC and had not given the 12 hour notice that is a problem if there was any conference votes taken on anything related to talking with ESPN or Fox or both about going ahead and doing an early extension (which was talked about in the article)

if it is shown that ESPN was in on the talks with the SEC about OU and Texas and that required 12 hour notice was not given that could be a major problem and could drag ESPN into the lawsuit......ESPN has to know of the existance of that clause and as a partner to the Big 12 and as a partner that was just talking to the Big 12 about if an extension could or could not happen if at the same time they were talking to the SEC and Texas and OU about making that happen then that could be a major problem

the Big 12 members that remain are in a bad spot and they are going to scorched earth if all of this is true and it may well not end up good for Texas and OU and ESPN....I would imagine the SEC will be drug in as well

A conference getting into a battle with ESPN seems pretty dumb and short-sighted, especially when you know you're going to lose. Feels like a NBA team going to war with Nike. Have fun navigating the future.

Just now, Ricky Butler said:

A conference getting into a battle with ESPN seems pretty dumb and short-sighted, especially when you know you're going to lose. Feels like a NBA team going to war with Nike. Have fun navigating the future.

Yep, everyone talks tough in the beginning, then their lawyers sit them down and show them some options and scenarios. 

11 minutes ago, Gidnik said:

Last year each SEC school got 47million and B12 schools 37million per.  Per the above article TX and OU are worth 160 million to the SEC.  I suppose Texas/Ou is taking that number back to the b12/fox table and asking for 60-80million each, keeping the rest of the b12 at 37, AND Tx keeps its 15 million LHN to boot.  Why give 14 others teams 10 million each when you can pocket that yourself.  Just maybe.  

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Siap.  Ketch’s source said mizzou would likely not do shit as no one would listen to them anyway

SEC:  “Aight, time to vote.  Who is in for Texas and OU?”  “Wait, who said that?”

Mizzou:

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

20 minutes ago, BurntOrange&amp;White said:

Yes. I think that's the smallest hurdle. Getting out of conference TV contract with Fox sooner is probably tricky.

3 minutes ago, Jirao said:

Wanted to add one of the Auburn Mods has said " No. I’m told Mizzou is not philosophically opposed to this at all. This source believes that’s TAM desperately searching for allies." 

So much collegiality