Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

15 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Texas and aggy will be in the same pod. Texas, pig, aggy, sooner. makes too much sense.

Except don’t discount that the SEC may throw A&M a bone and keep us separated if only to appease the  inbreds. It’s clear A&M does not want us in the league , so that may be a concession and if that happens I’ll laugh out loud at Aggie thinking they pulled a fast one. Whether we play them or not is irrelevant to me in and that will eventually get out that they blocked  the annual game. 

That will  make them look even worse which is fine by me.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

@Al_4_ISU  @'stache  @Okie State and any of the fans of other teams:

I asked earlier but it got buried: can you please cite recent examples of what makes Texas a bad conference partner?  I've heard the stories about the formation of the Big 12 and obviously the LHN put a target on our back, but what have we done (as fans/university/whatever) over the past decade to validate the label that we have to hear about every time our name is brought up?  What do we do specifically to make the Big 12 biased towards us?

This is a genuine question., no snark.

I had no issue with Texas until yesterday.  I've made that abundantly clear over the years.

My issue is that whenever someone leaves they say "we had no choice, we had to do it".  Nebraska said this, and it was a lie.  Aggy said this, and it was a lie.  Why would I believe Texas and OU when they say it?  You have a choice.  And it looks like you've made it, and I just hope like hell we make it out alive.

In this case, a good partner would be working with the others to find a win-win resolution on the way out the door.  Not just dropping a bomb out of nowhere.  Working behind the rest of your partner's backs without helping them find a way out isn't being a good partner.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

You're literally the wealthiest program in the game right now.
I just need to unsubscribe from this thread.  You guys really can't understand where I'm coming from, and vice versa.  This is all fucking tiddly winks to you.  This is literally the economic viability of entire communities for us.  It simply isn't the same.  Texas will always be fine.  Always.  Iowa State University could literally die as an institution if the worst case scenarios play out.  Meanwhile, a million other schools that are less deserving and worthy of their position than ISU are sitting just fine because they didn't pair up with a bunch of cunts 80 years ago and 30 years ago.  
That's what really chaps my ass.  Wake Forest is fucking fine.  We're twisting in the wind.  What in the absolute fuck?  There is no merit in that.  It comes down to a history of bitchassedness that many schools have been a part of.

You want it to be one way. But it’s the other way.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I just need to unsubscribe from this thread.  You guys really can't understand where I'm coming from, and vice versa.  This is all fucking tiddly winks to you.  This is literally the economic viability of entire communities for us.  It simply isn't the same.  Texas will always be fine.  Always.  Iowa State University could literally die as an institution if the worst case scenarios play out.  Meanwhile, a million other schools that are less deserving and worthy of their position than ISU are sitting just fine because they didn't pair up with a bunch of cunts 80 years ago and 30 years ago.  

That's what really chaps my ass.  Wake Forest is fucking fine.  We're twisting in the wind.  What in the absolute fuck?  There is no merit in that.  It comes down to a history of bitchassedness that many schools have been a part of.

2F499BE1-2952-4529-B055-8F0358E5A033.png

3 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I just need to unsubscribe from this thread.  You guys really can't understand where I'm coming from, and vice versa.  This is all fucking tiddly winks to you.  This is literally the economic viability of entire communities for us.  It simply isn't the same.  Texas will always be fine.  Always.  Iowa State University could literally die as an institution if the worst case scenarios play out.  Meanwhile, a million other schools that are less deserving and worthy of their position than ISU are sitting just fine because they didn't pair up with a bunch of cunts 80 years ago.  

Literally die?

The whole institution? 

I think the school would survive if the football program did not (which it will). 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

[mention=1238]Al_4_ISU[/mention]  [mention=1648]'stache[/mention]  [mention=577]Okie State[/mention] and any of the fans of other teams:
I asked earlier but it got buried: can you please cite recent examples of what makes Texas a bad conference partner?  I've heard the stories about the formation of the Big 12 and obviously the LHN put a target on our back, but what have we done (as fans/university/whatever) over the past decade to validate the label that we have to hear about every time our name is brought up?  What do we do specifically to make the Big 12 biased towards us?

It’s all jusy 2nd hand conjecture and rumors and what Aggy and Nebraska said.

There are additions to the SEC where pods make a lot of sense.  Oklahoma and Texas...I'm not sure that pods will end up being the best solution.

Adding OU and Texas means that there are 6 teams in our region (A&M, Texas, Oklahoma, LSU, Arkansas, and Missouri) which are difficult to divide into pods.  Arkansas in particular should probably have and will likely want yearly games with Texas, A&M, Missouri, and LSU.  A&M will want to keep an annual game with LSU.  I presume that Texas and A&M and Texas and Oklahoma will be required games, etc.  

Moving Alabama and Auburn to the East, Missouri to the West and eliminating cross division rivalry games is so simple, that I think the conservative SEC will do that rather than create a pod system.  Both divisions would be pretty balanced on paper. It would solve the SEC's current scheduling issues that necessitate cross division rivalries (which currently primarily have to do with getting Tennessee-Alabama and Auburn-Georgia, and Arkansas-Missouri on the schedule every year. 

Two 8 team divisions wont get every team playing every other team every two years, or hosting every four years, but it would make the cross division games more common than they are now, assuming the schedule will definitely go to 9 games.  The negatives would probably mainly be related to splitting the Alabama and Mississippi schools from each other, but I have no idea how strongly those schools view those games.

I don't get this, Texas doesn't need the money.  Literally any other conference or Indy makes more sense for Texas than the SEC. 

Texas is struggling to consistently compete with ISU/KSU right now, so the fix is to go play Bama/LSU in addition to OU every season?  Uh, ok.  Winning cures all ills.  Texas doesn't need the money and I think they're better off staying in the B12 than going to the SEC.  Brand is more important than money, it protects the money and recruiting.  Winning is what builds the brand. 

Going to the SEC where other schools have lower academic standards means Texas better be ready to get real dirty on the recruiting side to compete or it will be the SWC all over again.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I just need to unsubscribe from this thread.  You guys really can't understand where I'm coming from, and vice versa.  This is all fucking tiddly winks to you.  This is literally the economic viability of entire communities for us.  It simply isn't the same.  Texas will always be fine.  Always.  Iowa State University could literally die as an institution if the worst case scenarios play out.  Meanwhile, a million other schools that are less deserving and worthy of their position than ISU are sitting just fine because they didn't pair up with a bunch of cunts 80 years ago.  

Yeah that's what kills us.  Minnesota, Iowa, NW, Oregon State, Wake Forest, Miss St, Miss, Vanderbilt, Purdue, Utah...etc...they are all fine.  We have 65K stadium, a top 10 team, AAU, great fan base, and we are going to be playing Eastern Michigan.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

I think that’s only for parts performed.  Ask Mike Leach.  

It's actually for amounts "due and owed."  So, no consequential damages or anything like that (and if the contract doesn't create an amount owed due to early termination, then you'd be arguing lost profits etc. which isn't going to fit).  But a contractually owed buyout would likely fall within the waiver.

I'm guessing that the big networks have better lawyers than Mike Leach had.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I had no issue with Texas until yesterday.  I've made that abundantly clear over the years.

My issue is that whenever someone leaves they say "we had no choice, we had to do it".  Nebraska said this, and it was a lie.  Aggy said this, and it was a lie.  Why would I believe Texas and OU when they say it?  You have a choice.  And it looks like you've made it, and I just hope like hell we make it out alive.

In this case, a good partner would be working with the others to find a win-win resolution on the way out the door.  Not just dropping a bomb out of nowhere.  Working behind the rest of your partner's backs without helping them find a way out isn't being a good partner.

Good partnership....requires good partners.  This conference is full of institutions (not necessarily yours) that have shown that not to be what we have.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

[mention=1238]Al_4_ISU[/mention]  [mention=1648]'stache[/mention]  [mention=577]Okie State[/mention] and any of the fans of other teams:

Well I don't think I said they were so not sure why I was addressed in this. I will say I don't appreciate being jerked around on conference realignment while being told you'll get what you get and like it. If I remember correctly though it was OU, not Texas who stirred things up last go around by flirting with the SEC. I lose track though.

It's also clear many on here see zero value in the rest of us and the comment about none of the conference making investments to better their brand is unbelievably out of touch, but also very telling that no matter what we do it won't really make much of a difference.

Anyway, I've already said I don't blame Texas for looking out for Texas. I hope our admin does the same for us even though we don't have much pull.
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Here is my mock up of the potential SEC and how scheduling will work:

Pod 1 and Pod 2 play each other every year and the same for Pod 3 and 4 giving 7 conference games just from those two pods. Add in 2 cross conference games and you get a potential schedule as follows that rotates. That's if they decided to move to a 9 conference game schedule or stick with 8 conference games. This keeps a lot of traditional SEC rivalries intact.

SEC WEST
Pod 1 - OU, Texas, Arkansas, Missouri
Pod 2 - LSU, Texas A&M, Ole Miss, Miss St

SEC EAST
Pod 3 - Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Vanderbilt
Pod 4 -Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Kentucky

Texas Theoretical Schedule:
OOC Opponent
OOC Opponent
OOC Opponent
OU @ Dallas
Arkansas
Missouri
LSU
Texas A&M
Ole Miss
Miss State
Pod 3 or 4 Rotated Team - If 8 game conference schedule
Pod 4 Rotated Team - If 9 game conference schedule/Could also make it a permanent cross pod rivalry from the EAST side such as LSU/Bama - This could be substituted for the gimme FCS schedule opponent in the SEC scheduling world

I think they will stick to 8 conference games though because there is nothing to gain and the conference will only have a stronger benefit of doubt with the two additions. This move IMO is to ensure 4 teams get into the CFB playoff every year.

I was thinking about the pod layout yesterday. I can see the season as making SEC jump to a nine-game schedule instead of their current sissy-ass eight with an extra pushover as the penultimate game of the season. I'd like to see teams play all three in their own pod and two each from the other pods, a total of nine conference games. Rotate the "other-pods" games home-and-home.

West Pod - Texas, A&M, LSU, Arkiesaw

North Pod - 0U, Mizzou, Kentucky, Vandy

South Pod - Bama, Auburn, Ole Miss, Miss State

East Pod - Tennessee, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida

So, we'll play a&m, LSU, Arkie every year, then two each from the other pods. It'd damn sure make for some interesting home games, some interesting road trips. Head-to-heads pick the two best podchamps for CCG.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Bevo14 said:

I really don't understand the handwringing by ISU fans in here. They should be able to get into the big 10 or acc

It's the uncertainty that kills us.

That and pretty much all we ever hear from the outside media is "you're in the MAC without the Big 12".

2 minutes ago, hawkfan said:

I don't get this, Texas doesn't need the money.  Literally any other conference or Indy makes more sense for Texas than the SEC. 

Texas is struggling to consistently compete with ISU/KSU right now, so the fix is to go play Bama/LSU in addition to OU every season?  Uh, ok.  Winning cures all ills.  Texas doesn't need the money and I think they're better off staying in the B12 than going to the SEC.  Brand is more important than money, it protects the money and recruiting.  Winning is what builds the brand. 

Going to the SEC where other schools have lower academic standards means Texas better be ready to get real dirty on the recruiting side to compete or it will be the SWC all over again.

We haven't lost to KSU in 4 years. Since aggy left, we've lost to Iowa State three times in 9 years.  

And this is absolutely about increasing our brand, taking full advantage of NIL, and getting recruits back to Texas that want to play in the SEC.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Literally die?

The whole institution? 

I think the school would survive if the football program did not (which it will). 

It would decline.  The school's growth really accelerated as the football program became more popular over the last decade.  The Ames economy is heavily based around ISU, and ISU football gamedays are a massive influx of cash.

Not having high level D1 sports would create a massive hit to the greater university on a lot of fronts.  I doubt it would cease to exist, but it would be something far less than it is today and has been historically.

10 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

We are getting handled in recruiting in part because we’re not in the sec.  your original blue blood decided to link their fate with us and for good reason.   The big 8s footprint just wasn’t strong enough. So like thanks this is inevitable.  Not Texas fault

11 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Except don’t discount that the SEC may throw A&M a bone and keep us separated if only to appease the  inbreds. It’s clear A&M does not want us in the league , so that may be a concession and if that happens I’ll laugh out loud at Aggie thinking they pulled a fast one. Whether we play them or not is irrelevant to me in and that will eventually get out that they blocked  the annual game. 

That will  make them look even worse which is fine by me.

they have literally no incentive to appease aggy if they are getting Texas and OU. 

aggy will accept it or leave. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

I was thinking about the pod layout yesterday. I can see the season as making SEC jump to a nine-game schedule instead of their current sissy-ass eight with an extra pushover as the penultimate game of the season. I'd like to see teams play all three in their own pod and two each from the other pods, a total of nine conference games. Rotate the "other-pods" games home-and-home.

So, we'll play a&m, LSU, Arkie every year, then two each from the other pods. It'd damn sure make for some interesting home games, some interesting road trips. Head-to-heads pick the two best podchamps for CCG.  

Talk about a cakewalk for OU...

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I think that is true for ISU and OSU, but screw Baylor, Tech, and TCU.

• Hook 'Em 1

Pods are dumb. Give me OU, pig, aggy, and LSU every year. Bama and Auburn get to move east and play their TN, GA, FL friends. LSU only loser in terms of losing games that matter to them but ditched the Bama elephant in the room and there’s plenty of animosity between LSU and Texas, a rivalry would likely blossom in short order.

• Hook 'Em 3

17 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Happy to be a good partner and find you a landing spot.   Reduce our buyout amount

There is no scenario where the B1G adds ISU, they are fucked if Texas/OU leave, ISU doesn't add $50M per year in revenue, and that's all that matters now. 

The B1G's only real play to counter something like this from the SEC would be to go thermonuclear on the PAC12 in my view.  Pac12 has 3/4 valuable brands that are AAU schools and have big population bases/solid TV ratings - USC/UCLA/Oregon/Washington.  Those schools significantly underperform in TV revenue because no other schools in the conference really give a fuck about college athletics.  If Texas/OU join the SEC, I'd like to see the B10 make a play at those four PAC12 schools and make a push to 20, offering ND to be the 5th school in that division which lets them keep their rivalry w/ USC.

The PAC12 GOR expires in 2023 and not having been extended yet, I assume that the powers that be in that conference want to look around.  The B1G grabbing the top 4 in the PAC12 would also create a realistic landing spot for the B12 left behinds and the PAC12 left behinds - they could join each other in that scenario and be a conference much stronger than the AAC/MAC/CUSA but not as strong as the Power 3.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m pretty sure there are too many protected rivalries for pods to be agreed on. SEC schools take that seriously and divisions basically solve that problem.
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It would decline.  The school's growth really accelerated as the football program became more popular over the last decade.  The Ames economy is heavily based around ISU, and ISU football gamedays are a massive influx of cash.

Not having high level D1 sports would create a massive hit to the greater university on a lot of fronts.  I doubt it would cease to exist, but it would be something far less than it is today and has been historically.

Yeah there is no question enrollment would decline.  Agree with that.  And we are hand wringing, because the Big 10 isn't an option.  We wish it was, but it isn't.  Big 10 already has Iowa for all those eyeballs (whether on TV or streaming) and does anyone think anyone in the Big 10 is saying "man, what this conf is really missing is a cold weather small market team."

15 minutes ago, hawkfan said:

We cannot compete against sec schools in recruiting while playing in the big 12

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I’m pretty sure there are too many protected rivalries for pods to be agreed on. SEC schools take that seriously and divisions basically solve that problem.

Ah, I hate getting into this with you pod people but you could easily stipulate a protected cross pod rivalry like Alabama-Tennessee, Auburn-Georgia, and Texas OU if they are in different pods. 

Edited by mdmost

3 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

I’ll be goddamned if I ever chant SEC SEC SEC. but I’m all for the move

I’m all for the chant in a mocking tone the first couple years everytime we beat aggy, LSU, pig, bama, etc.

I’d be very against it playing anyone outside the SEC. 

Edited by EZ$
  • Hook 'Em 3

15 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

If you had a chance to get a better job, making more money, live in a nicer neighborhood, would you do it? This is essentially  the same thing. Why should Texas and OU prop up the rest of the big 12 who continuously shits on Texas every chance they get all while backing up the brinks truck because of those schools.

I have no ill will for Iowa ST, it sucks for you but Texas and OU have held this together way longer than I thought they would and longer than they had to. Texas could have left the Big 12 anytime they wanted but didn't.

If this happen, good luck to you and I truly mean that.

• Hook 'Em 4