Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

1 minute ago, EZ$ said:

I’m all for the chant in a mocking tone the first couple years everytime we beat aggy, LSU, pig, bama, etc.

I’d be very against it playing anyone outside the SEC. 

….and we can start when we beat Arkansas this year in their house.

• Hook 'Em 1

I think the biggest issue for the pod system is what to do with LSU, and this is one way to deal with it and not put LSU in a group that doesn't include any close regional teams.

I think it’s an attempt to appease LSU and aggy. It also works out well for all the big teams by not putting us or OU on their schedule every year. Rough for Arky and Missouri, but Arky fans at least get to renew an old rivalry so there’s upside for them. Missouri probably benefits the least overall from this setup.

According to one of the OU guys on the Ticket, the 11am kickoff of the anniversary game of OU and Nebraska this fall rubbed the OU administration in a very bad way. They are tired of Fox dictating shitty game times. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

You're literally the wealthiest program in the game right now.

I just need to unsubscribe from this thread.  You guys really can't understand where I'm coming from, and vice versa.  This is all fucking tiddly winks to you.  This is literally the economic viability of entire communities for us.  It simply isn't the same.  Texas will always be fine.  Always.  Iowa State University could literally die as an institution if the worst case scenarios play out.  Meanwhile, a million other schools that are less deserving and worthy of their position than ISU are sitting just fine because they didn't pair up with a bunch of cunts 80 years ago.  

That's what really chaps my ass.  Wake Forest is fucking fine.  We're twisting in the wind.  What in the absolute fuck?  There is no merit in that.  It comes down to a history of bitchassedness that many schools have been a part of.

2910ee18-b9b4-4cf1-921e-5d7e00f801aa-gif

haha but no really, the big 12 officiating has been dogshit and the leadership of this conference is even worse. Seriously a "Texas is soft wanting horns down to be penalized" conversation every 3 years started by this pathetic conference is enough to get the fuck out.

It's not "we had no choice", it's more like well the entire sport of college football is changing, we have a choice, fuck the big 12 just like they've fucked us the past 15 years. Fuck them. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

ISU has worked really hard to be a good partner over the years.  We've upgraded our facilities, invested heavily in athletics, and were basically just glad to be along for the ride.  We accepted games on the LHN when everyone else made a huge stink about it, for example.

I don't know what else we realistically could have done.

You’re a Midwest Hudson. You know, without all the swearing.

8B0A30FD-CD76-4F6B-87AE-322D0B8419CA.gif.fe0ff380b2b21ea5eee50a372272c761.gif

Edited by Daichee Bell
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I’m pretty sure there are too many protected rivalries for pods to be agreed on. SEC schools take that seriously and divisions basically solve that problem.

If so, they can be addresed with the six games with other pods, no?

9 minutes ago, mdmost said:

We haven't lost to KSU in 4 years. Since aggy left, we've lost to Iowa State three times in 9 years.  

And this is absolutely about increasing our brand, taking full advantage of NIL, and getting recruits back to Texas that want to play in the SEC.

Yah, it's as if some missed the whole A&M to the SEC experiment, which has gone close to how I figured it would, if not a bit short of what it could have been. The SEC is absolutely the better football conference, I'd never argue it isn't, but the competition as a whole has been incredibly overhyped by SEC honks and CFB analysts etc.., for the past 15 years especially. It'll be a more difficult slate, no question, but Texas has been spinning its tires in the Big 12 long enough.

It's going to help swing a couple or more upper tier recruits, no question. This Texas leadership just needs to execute the NIL shit correctly (yikes), and hope this staff is the one to get shit kicked off right in the SEC.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, closetohumping said:

We cannot compete against sec schools in recruiting while playing in the big 12

Just because we have squandered talent does not make this totally true.  We consistently recruit at or near the level of the top 3 or 4 SEC schools.  We just squander the talent with poor development and bad coaching and awful schemes because we hired Charlie Strong and Tom Herman.    The last bunch of non-transition classes: 

2015 (#10), we were only behind Alabama, Tennessee, LSU, Georgia and Auburn
2016 (# 7), we were only behind Alabama, LSU, Ole Miss and Georgia

2018 (#3), we were only behind UGA
2019 (#3), we were behind Alabama and UGA
2020 (#8), we were behind Georgia, Alabama, LSU, Auburn and A&M

2022 (#10 currently), we are only behind LSU, Alabama and Georgia

• Hook 'Em 1

But will Texas be required to schedule Prairie View for a November OOC scrimmage?

It gives us more cover to schedule UT system teams. SEC always gets a pass for late season cupcakes and it benefits them greatly. I like it for that reason, and I like it for elevating system teams.

9 minutes ago, cyatheart said:

Yeah there is no question enrollment would decline.  Agree with that.  And we are hand wringing, because the Big 10 isn't an option.  We wish it was, but it isn't.  Big 10 already has Iowa for all those eyeballs (whether on TV or streaming) and does anyone think anyone in the Big 10 is saying "man, what this conf is really missing is a cold weather small market team."

America is so fucked up. Your enrollment would decline and the town decimated because you have to play Boise State now?

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Just because we have squandered talent does not make this totally true.  We consistently recruit at or near the level of the top 3 or 4 SEC schools.  We just squander the talent with poor development and bad coaching and awful schemes because we hired Charlie Strong and Tom Herman.    The last bunch of non-transition classes: 

2015 (#10), we were only behind Alabama, Tennessee, LSU, Georgia and Auburn
2016 (# 7), we were only behind Alabama, LSU, Ole Miss and Georgia

2018 (#3), we were only behind UGA
2019 (#3), we were behind Alabama and UGA
2020 (#8), we were behind Georgia, Alabama, LSU, Auburn and A&M

2022 (#10 currently), we are only behind LSU, Alabama and Georgia

2022-18th in average.   

11 minutes ago, hawkfan said:

Pac12 has 3/4 valuable brands that are AAU schools and have big population bases/solid TV ratings - USC/UCLA/Oregon/Washington.  Those schools significantly underperform in TV revenue because no other schools in the conference really give a fuck about college athletics. 

Stanford does -- it's just spread out over 24 sports. The Arizona schools do, but mostly underachieve. Utah seems to care. 

8 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Fuck the Big 12. Fuck all the schools in the Big 12. Fucking hangers-on. Coattail riding bitches. I hope yall fucking cry like bitches. I hope the big 12 refs fucking end up on the street and their children get put in an orphanage because daddy cant make ends meet and mommy gets strung out on heroin. Fuck baylor for rape. Fuck tcu for dealing drugs. Fuck osu for 2015. Fuck ksu for owning us for a while there. Fuck ku for being a one-horse program. Isu, youre cool but your state sucks dick. Wvu, good luck in fcs with your high school asses. Tech…. Lmao. No one gives a fuck about yall here, or anywhere. 

As of last month, we have the best athletic program in the country (Directors Cup, motherfuckers). Im sick and tired of these shitty junior colleges masquerading as flyover schools complaining about being left behind. Fucking do better. 

This is Kevin Durant going to the Warriors. 

So well said.  Problem is the SEC has all the coat tail hangers on as well.  Vanderbilt, Miss, Miss St, Kentucky, Missouri, South Carolina, Arkansas.   Hell I would say Tennessee doesn't add much anymore to the SEC.  SEC still has all it's dogs too.  

What I don't get, is if the SEC is taking OU and TX...why not take Ohio State, Clemson and Florida State while they are at it?  Maybe someday they will.

Either way, good luck to ya'all.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, hawkfan said:

There is no scenario where the B1G adds ISU, they are fucked if Texas/OU leave, ISU doesn't add $50M per year in revenue, and that's all that matters now. 

The B1G's only real play to counter something like this from the SEC would be to go thermonuclear on the PAC12 in my view.  Pac12 has 3/4 valuable brands that are AAU schools and have big population bases/solid TV ratings - USC/UCLA/Oregon/Washington.  Those schools significantly underperform in TV revenue because no other schools in the conference really give a fuck about college athletics.  If Texas/OU join the SEC, I'd like to see the B10 make a play at those four PAC12 schools and make a push to 20, offering ND to be the 5th school in that division which lets them keep their rivalry w/ USC.

The PAC12 GOR expires in 2023 and not having been extended yet, I assume that the powers that be in that conference want to look around.  The B1G grabbing the top 4 in the PAC12 would also create a realistic landing spot for the B12 left behinds and the PAC12 left behinds - they could join each other in that scenario and be a conference much stronger than the AAC/MAC/CUSA but not as strong as the Power 3.

Short sighted. They may not make a move to add $50 million, but they can see the writing on the wall. 4 16 team super conferences  120 D1 teams was shaky already, the NIL was the mail in the coffin. 

There will be spots to be had and they won’t be based on the current criteria of bringing “immediate “ extra revenue. It will be a more long term play. 

Geographic footprint and eyeballs are not what they used to be. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

31 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

You're literally the wealthiest program in the game right now... 

That's what really chaps my ass.  Wake Forest is fucking fine.  We're twisting in the wind.  What in the absolute fuck?  There is no merit in that.  It comes down to a history of bitchassedness that many schools have been a part of.

Yeah, wondering why Vandy is still in the SEC as well...

12 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Fuck the Big 12. Fuck all the schools in the Big 12. Fucking hangers-on. Coattail riding bitches. I hope yall fucking cry like bitches. I hope the big 12 refs fucking end up on the street and their children get put in an orphanage because daddy cant make ends meet and mommy gets strung out on heroin. Fuck baylor for rape. Fuck tcu for dealing drugs. Fuck osu for 2015. Fuck ksu for owning us for a while there. Fuck ku for being a one-horse program. Isu, youre cool but your state sucks dick. Wvu, good luck in fcs with your high school asses. Tech…. Lmao. No one gives a fuck about yall here, or anywhere. 

As of last month, we have the best athletic program in the country (Directors Cup, motherfuckers). Im sick and tired of these shitty junior colleges masquerading as flyover schools complaining about being left behind. Fucking do better. 

This is Kevin Durant going to the Warriors. 

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It's actually for amounts "due and owed."  So, no consequential damages or anything like that (and if the contract doesn't create an amount owed due to early termination, then you'd be arguing lost profits etc. which isn't going to fit).  But a contractually owed buyout would likely fall within the waiver.

I'm guessing that the big networks have better lawyers than Mike Leach had.

My understanding is that the grant of rights is not a contract.  It was a transfer of an asset (media rights) to the Big 12 for a period of years.  And my understanding that, due to sovereign immunity, such asset transfers are voidable unless the Texas legislature approved and authorized the asset transfer.  I could be wrong, but that is what I have read.  It's been awhile since I looked at it.  Like last round of realignment.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Fuck pods.   Bring Mizzou west and send the AL schools east.  7 division games and 2 cross-division game per year.  Set up the cross division games so it is fair competitively.

Yeah but if you're Georgia and Florida, why would you want to directly compete with Auburn and Alabama each year versus having a clear path to the SEC Championship and a one game shot at them? 

Edited by mdmost

1 minute ago, DaysOff said:

America is so fucked up. Your enrollment would decline and the town decimated because you have to play Boise State now?

Yes, the size of the university would decline steadily over time.  No question, imagine if OU went to the AAC, dropped 75% of their revenue, and had to let Lincoln Riley go.  Of course it would have an impact on the enrollment.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

Yeah but if you're Georgia and Florida, why would you want to directly compete with Auburn and Alabama each year versus having a clear path to the SEC Championship? 

The SEC will do pods, seed the winners of the pods 1-4, and then do a 2-round SEC championship game and then get all 4 in the new playoffs. 

Winning your 4 team pod is the equivalent of winning the AFC or some stupid shit, they'll say. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, mdmost said:

Yeah but if you're Georgia and Florida, why would you want to directly compete with Auburn and Alabama each year versus having a clear path to the SEC Championship? 

Why do we need an SEC championship when we now have a playoff? 

Just now, cyatheart said:

Yes, the size of the university would decline steadily over time.  No question, imagine if OU went to the AAC, dropped 75% of their revenue, and had to let Lincoln Riley go.  Of course it would have an impact on the enrollment.  

So, fewer high school grads in Oklahoma?

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Js1 said:

The SEC will do pods, seed the winners of the pods 1-4, and then do a 2-round SEC championship game and then get all 4 in the new playoffs. 

I think they will do pods but then seed everyone based on overall record and cross record if there's a tie. Then the top final 2 play. 

1 hour ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

It feels like we can't let the message get this far and this public if it's not happening.

The urban fiasco was one thing, but imagine going back to the big 12, life as usual after this story. The recruiting impact alone would be devastating. If we think sec teams are raiding Texas now, imagine the negative recruiting if we very publicly requested to join and it goes sideways.

I know this is really all about $, but in my mind, the real benefit is recruiting. Prior to aggy joining the sec, we could somewhat keep all but bama and Georgia out of the state. Now the situation has escalated and we're not slowing it down while in the big 12. The best answer is to cut off the "come play in the best league" negative recruiting tactic by becoming a part of that league. Bama and Georgia will still be able to sell their brands, but that will always be there. It's teams like aggy who have been making a living off of this narrative in Texas who legitimately have no counter punch.

I have no specific love for the sec, but the big 12 seems to loathe Texas despite being 50% of what holds the conference together. Either way, a meaningful change of some kind has to happen after this. We can't just go back to the same big 12 following this story, just as we couldn't stick with Herman after the urban news cycle. I think the sec is the best option for us, so here's hoping this happens.

Doubt we ever know if we requested or the SEC did. But at this it is aggy sources saying we begged for it.

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Yeah but if you're Georgia and Florida, why would you want to directly compete with Auburn and Alabama each year versus having a clear path to the SEC Championship and a one game shot at them? 

And the leftovers will be scrambling to find their spot.  There will be no big 12 to pay

1 minute ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Short sighted. They may not make a move to add $50 million, but they can see the writing on the wall. 4 16 team super conferences  120 D1 teams was shaky already, the NIL was the mail in the coffin. 

There will be spots to be had and they won’t be based on the current criteria of bringing “immediate “ extra revenue. It will be a more long term play. 

Still going to be based on population demographics and eyeballs, what's changing is TV Ratings are far more important than number of cable subscribers.  There's only so many people in Iowa to watch college football.  If the B1G can't expand into Texas/Florida/California, don't expand would be my thought. 

The top of the PAC12 is hurting for revenue and their GOR expires soon.  The B1G has a long standing relationship with the the PAC12.  That makes sense in a lot of ways other than geography, and it's becoming clear geography doesn't matter much anymore.

Just now, Js1 said:

If we go to the SEC we are no longer concerned with winning an SEC championship, the narrative will be sealed that the top 4-6 teams in the SEC are better than anyone else because SEC, period.

5 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

You guys are no better.  Enjoy yourselves.  It's 4AM and I'm awake, nauseous, and just incredibly sad.  You won't ever know this pain.  You can't fathom it.  Be grateful.

The biggest mistake we ever made was not bailing on Nebraska and OU back in the 50's when we had a chance to go to the Big 10.  Our entire university, the community of Ames, and to a smaller extent the state economy will pay dearly for that decision in the coming months.

Pfftt. Texas kept this together 10 years longer than it should have. If neb co aggy and Mizzou dont bolt u still have a conf.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Just now, Js1 said:

I think it will end up being a beauty contest between the 4 pod winners for the 2 spots in the CCG, which is the primary reason I am anti-pod.

Only way I'd change my perspective on the above would be if they just remapped college conferences geographically and collectively bargained a single TV agreement, which ironically is where we started 50 years ago.

In that scenario which conference a school is in doesn't matter.

36 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I had no issue with Texas until yesterday.  I've made that abundantly clear over the years.

My issue is that whenever someone leaves they say "we had no choice, we had to do it".  Nebraska said this, and it was a lie.  Aggy said this, and it was a lie.  Why would I believe Texas and OU when they say it?  You have a choice.  And it looks like you've made it, and I just hope like hell we make it out alive.

In this case, a good partner would be working with the others to find a win-win resolution on the way out the door.  Not just dropping a bomb out of nowhere.  Working behind the rest of your partner's backs without helping them find a way out isn't being a good partner.

Why can't Iowa State go to Pac 12 with Tech, Ok State, and maybe TCU? They have been dying to get Central time zone games 

• Hook 'Em 1