Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

5 minutes ago, cyatheart said:

So well said.  Problem is the SEC has all the coat tail hangers on as well.  Vanderbilt, Miss, Miss St, Kentucky, Missouri, South Carolina, Arkansas.   Hell I would say Tennessee doesn't add much anymore to the SEC.  SEC still has all it's dogs too.  

What I don't get, is if the SEC is taking OU and TX...why not take Ohio State, Clemson and Florida State while they are at it?  Maybe someday they will.

Either way, good luck to ya'all.

I think this is more likely than anyone is willing to admit.    If this change happens, don't waste your time on pods or not pods because scheduling is like a cup holder on a race car.  What is occurring is the opening salvo of what will likely take down conferences and create leagues.  

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, mdmost said:

According to one of the OU guys on the Ticket, the 11am kickoff of the anniversary game of OU and Nebraska this fall rubbed the OU administration in a very bad way. They are tired of Fox dictating shitty game times. 

And i hope that comes out as one of the reasons for our decision too.   Fair Park at 11am is absolute bullshit.  No other big game kicks at 11am local and our administration could have put a stop to it 20 years ago but chose not to.

If for no other reason than Fair Park kicks at 230 every fucking year then this move is worth making.

• Hook 'Em 4

I was thinking about the pod layout yesterday. I can see the season as making SEC jump to a nine-game schedule instead of their current sissy-ass eight with an extra pushover as the penultimate game of the season. I'd like to see teams play all three in their own pod and two each from the other pods, a total of nine conference games. Rotate the "other-pods" games home-and-home.
West Pod - Texas, A&M, LSU, Arkiesaw
North Pod - 0U, Mizzou, Kentucky, Vandy
South Pod - Bama, Auburn, Ole Miss, Miss State
East Pod - Tennessee, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida
So, we'll play a&m, LSU, Arkie every year, then two each from the other pods. It'd damn sure make for some interesting home games, some interesting road trips. Head-to-heads pick the two best podchamps for CCG.  

I don’t like having OU in a different pod. If we’re having to rotate through all the other pods, that would lead to years in which we wouldn’t play them wouldn’t it?

2 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Why can't Iowa State go to Pac 12 with Tech, Ok State, and maybe TCU? They have been dying to get Central time zone games 

You guys don't want to play in Ames, why would they?  Can you imagine USC rolling into Ames in late October?    Hey Colorado and Arizona, instead of playing in California, need to to run out to Ames every other year on Thanksgiving.  Never happening.

24 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Fuck the Big 12. Fuck all the schools in the Big 12. Fucking hangers-on. Coattail riding bitches. I hope yall fucking cry like bitches. I hope the big 12 refs fucking end up on the street and their children get put in an orphanage because daddy cant make ends meet and mommy gets strung out on heroin. Fuck baylor for rape. Fuck tcu for dealing drugs. Fuck osu for 2015. Fuck ksu for owning us for a while there. Fuck ku for being a one-horse program. Isu, youre cool but your state sucks dick. Wvu, good luck in fcs with your high school asses. Tech…. Lmao. No one gives a fuck about yall here, or anywhere. 

As of last month, we have the best athletic program in the country (Directors Cup, motherfuckers). Im sick and tired of these shitty junior colleges masquerading as flyover schools complaining about being left behind. Fucking do better. 

This is Kevin Durant going to the Warriors. 

You forgot Fuck Chip Brown and Fuck Tim Brando.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Just because we have squandered talent does not make this totally true.  We consistently recruit at or near the level of the top 3 or 4 SEC schools.  We just squander the talent with poor development and bad coaching and awful schemes because we hired Charlie Strong and Tom Herman.    The last bunch of non-transition classes: 

2015 (#10), we were only behind Alabama, Tennessee, LSU, Georgia and Auburn
2016 (# 7), we were only behind Alabama, LSU, Ole Miss and Georgia

2018 (#3), we were only behind UGA
2019 (#3), we were behind Alabama and UGA
2020 (#8), we were behind Georgia, Alabama, LSU, Auburn and A&M

2022 (#10 currently), we are only behind LSU, Alabama and Georgia

Rankings don't tell the whole story, we've been consistently missing out on most of the very elite Texas prospects, especially at DL/OL.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Why can't Iowa State go to Pac 12 with Tech, Ok State, and maybe TCU? They have been dying to get Central time zone games 

It's a possibility I would absolutely welcome at this point.

There's a lot of potentials for ISU, but nothing guaranteed.  That's the part that's nauseating for our fans, and that Texas/OU fans can't really understand.  You're always guaranteed a seat at the table.  We aren't, but we kind of depend on it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, Helobious said:

These threads are hilarious. Texas & OU aren’t going anywhere. It’s like none of you remember when Meyer coming here was a “done deal” a few months ago. 

The difference in this time versus the last time is we actually have a forward thinking administration that wants to make moves with the next 20 years in mind versus just worrying about keeping what's ours like the Deloss days. Hartzell and CDC have seen how CFB is going with NIL and the TV deals. The SEC is the best option. 

Should have replaced a lot with some. But I guarantee there are a bunch of Horns fans out there sweating this a bit. 
Pussies, all of them. Except for the usual ooc cupcakes, there wont be a single game the team wont be jacked up to play. May be kinda rough the first year or two, but recruiting will quickly even things out. Remember how nobody gave us a chance against a Georgia team that thought they should be in the championship game? Before that..Mizzou who came in with the SEC's most prolific offense? The SEC is top heavy just like every other conference.

16 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Lest we get too excited about joining the SEC, look at what those mouth breathers are saying today...

https://www.secrant.com/rant/sec-football/

like this thread where the only thing aggy has is "tu ghey"

https://www.secrant.com/rant/sec-football/once-texas-joins-what-appeal-will-aandm-have/97359136/

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

You're literally the wealthiest program in the game right now.

I just need to unsubscribe from this thread.  You guys really can't understand where I'm coming from, and vice versa.  This is all fucking tiddly winks to you.  This is literally the economic viability of entire communities for us.  It simply isn't the same.  Texas will always be fine.  Always.  Iowa State University could literally die as an institution if the worst case scenarios play out.  Meanwhile, a million other schools that are less deserving and worthy of their position than ISU are sitting just fine because they didn't pair up with a bunch of cunts 80 years ago.  

That's what really chaps my ass.  Wake Forest is fucking fine.  We're twisting in the wind.  What in the absolute fuck?  There is no merit in that.  It comes down to a history of bitchassedness that many schools have been a part of.

There is a simple and rational way to analyze this. If Iowa State were in this position to dictate where it could go, would it decline just to make sure Texas would end up being okay? It's not bitchassedness, it's simply the way the cookie crumbles. There is no loyalty, just $$$$ and plenty of it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, alphahorn said:

if it happens the first fucker who starts an sec chant is banned for life

No one here will do it on the board. But we all know that the first time Texas wins a bowl game as an sec team there will be thousands in the stands chanting sec-sec-sec. 20 years from now, the younger set of Texas fans will be full-on “sec über alles”.

• Rage+1 2

47 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Literally die?

The whole institution? 

I think the school would survive if the football program did not (which it will). 

If a university is in danger of ceasing to exist because of Texas-Oklahoma joining the SEC then maybe that university has much bigger problems than athletics.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

So all of the stadium improvements by the smaller schools was just to appease Texas & ou in the name of being a good conference partner? Bullshit. They all knew they needed to invest to grow.

OSU was playing in an erector set when the B12 formed. They used to intentionally not bring recruits to the locker rooms during visits because they didn't want to scare them off.

Again, if your school's very survival depends upon being in a P5 conference & your administration hasn't paid attention to the shifting landscape over the past 25 years & worked their asses off to plan for life after Texas or ou then that's their failure.

Shit, an osu pal of mine was thrilled a decade ago when he swore that Texas, ou, tech and osu were all going to the Pac-12. He was ready to jettison the rest of the conference in a heartbeat, because he felt they belonged out west. When that fell through & the B12 survived (with all schools getting more $) he was pissed, and naturally blamed Texas. He didn't want to be stuck with the "lower schools" (his words).

I hadn't heard from him in 18 mos. Today I got a text from him dog cussing Texas for every reason under the sun.

Tough shit. I'm done with it. The SEC is more powerful than the NCAA at this point, and they're sure as shit not going to cede that power.

Those thinking that Texas should just be content & not look to grow in our best interest including challenging our athletics to compete consistently at the highest level...well, that's not the way the world works. Evolve or die.

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Fuck pods.   Bring Mizzou west and send the AL schools east.  7 division games and 2 cross-division game per year.  Set up the cross division games so it is fair competitively.

Guy on the xm 84 said just now OU pairs in the East with Mizzou and Texas to the West. We keep Ou as our permanent.  

imagine a schedule of :

Ou , Lsu, Am, aub and Bama. Add in East foe UGA or Uf. 

52 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Meanwhile, a million other schools that are less deserving and worthy of their position than ISU are sitting just fine because they didn't pair up with a bunch of cunts 80 years ago.  

That's what really chaps my ass.  Wake Forest is fucking fine.  We're twisting in the wind.  What in the absolute fuck?  There is no merit in that.  It comes down to a history of bitchassedness that many schools have been a part of.

This is what pisses me off the absolute most. A bunch of crappy programs that do not justify $50 million or whatever it is per school are safe because of historical anomalies predating the existence of televisions. If we're gonna realign for the sake of money, let's really realign. What are the 64 most deserving programs? OSU and ISU are, Wake, Rutgers, Boston College are not. Align based on geography and historic rivalries, and let the TV money roll in. SEC and Big 10 will still make more than ACC and PAC. That's fine, but the difference won't be as much, and deserving programs won't be orphaned.

• Hook 'Em 4

Ah, I hate getting into this with you pod people but you could easily stipulate a protected cross pod rivalry like Alabama-Tennessee, Auburn-Georgia, and Texas OU if they are in different pods. 

Oh I’m no pod person. I would think trying to protect rivalries across pods gets messy and scuttles the advantage of rotating everyone regularly.

1 minute ago, jdhorn92 said:

Guy on the xm 84 said just now OU pairs in the East with Mizzou and Texas to the West. We keep Ou as our permanent.  

imagine a schedule of :

Ou , Lsu, Am, aub and Bama. Add in East foe UGA or Uf. 

Sounds like the same mouth breathers that call into AM radio

45 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It's the uncertainty that kills us.

That and pretty much all we ever hear from the outside media is "you're in the MAC without the Big 12".

I mean the writing has been on the wall for awhile in regards to the Big 12 collapse. I would assume ISU leadership has been preparing for beyond the Big 12.

If they haven't been, then its on them.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, NYBevo said:

I mean the writing has been on the wall for awhile in regards to the Big 12 collapse. I would assume ISU leadership has been preparing for beyond the Big 12.

They have.  Our AD was Barry Alvarez's right hand man for years and they remain close.  He also intimated a few years back that the Pac 12 was an option.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

You’re gotdamn right, but I’m going to be physically sick when I see large swaths of our fan base chanting it

9 minutes ago, heso said:

No one here will do it on the board. But we all know that the first time Texas wins a bowl game as an sec team there will be thousands in the stands chanting sec-sec-sec. 20 years from now, the younger set of Texas fans will be full-on “sec über alles”.

This is horrible. Don’t say these things. We are Texas. We lead. We don’t follow and wrap up our identity in a conference. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, cyatheart said:

You guys don't want to play in Ames, why would they?  Can you imagine USC rolling into Ames in late October?    Hey Colorado and Arizona, instead of playing in California, need to to run out to Ames every other year on Thanksgiving.  Never happening.

Ames is a good time - short drive from Des Moines, friendly people, new-ish stadium post reno, and good tailgates.

The SEC will do pods, seed the winners of the pods 1-4, and then do a 2-round SEC championship game and then get all 4 in the new playoffs. 
Winning your 4 team pod is the equivalent of winning the AFC or some stupid shit, they'll say. 

Wouldn’t that work out to a 15 game season if the ultimate champ came from the SEC?

I'm not saying it couldn't happen but, I was told by a good friend who played for WVU that he was told, by the AD, that WVU was told by the ACC that their fan's behavior would forever keep them out of the ACC.
I know there is a long history of bad fan behavior, but they've worked hard to clean it up. I took the kids to Margontown for a (day) game. Not one ill word spoken. In fact, it was clear they were trying as many fans walked up to chat us up and ask if we needed help finding our seats.

Just now, DCLonghorn said:
1 hour ago, PittsburghTiger said:
I'm not saying it couldn't happen but, I was told by a good friend who played for WVU that he was told, by the AD, that WVU was told by the ACC that their fan's behavior would forever keep them out of the ACC.

I know there is a long history of bad fan behavior, but they've worked hard to clean it up. I took the kids to Margontown for a (day) game. Not one ill word spoken. In fact, it was clear they were trying as many fans walked up to chat us up and ask if we needed help finding our seats.

Had this too.   Took my daughter to a game there and people went out of their way to include us.   Yes, there was some teasing about who may win and being in enemy territory, but that was encapsulated within, "hey join our tailgate" or "thanks for coming to see us!" than ribbing.   I didn't have a single negative experience.

What is the logic for having Texas and atm in separate pods?
My guess is they simply started in the east and put four together and moved west. They will clearly be biased to their existing members being somewhat aligned over putting a hypothetical member with two old rivals instead of one.

10 minutes ago, NYBevo said:

100% correct, the writing has been on the wall.  Could not agree more.  That's why ISU built up the stadium, paying our coach 5M, paying assistants 1M.  I mean they built a top ten team the last two years and won the Fiesta Bowl.  Not much more you can do.  Again, I don't think it is anybody's fault, Texas is doing what they should do.  Texas has no responsibility to any university other than themselves.  There is only so much you can do.  It's just reality of being a smaller market team smacking us in the face finally.  But again, the issue that kills us is, so many really crappy teams that did nothing, did not try to compete, and are riding coat tails in EVERY SINGLE CONFERNECE....those teams are in and we are going to be out. 

I am yelling at the wind here.  I get it, nobody cares, I am going through he mourning process for my Cyclones here today, but I live in Austin.  And have come to really like the Longhorns over the years.  And it's a huge bummer.

Edited by cyatheart
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2