Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

"There's this understanding among the membership -- at least it was 10 years ago -- that you don't admit a school from the same state as a member school unless that member school's OK with it," Loftin told ESPN.com on Thursday.

Did you write it down aggy? You needed to write it down.
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Is there also an unwritten rule about leaking to the media when you think you are about to get buttfucked?

I believe this is written on the glory hole stall walls, but never officially ratified by the University. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The most fucked up part of this, not surprisingly, is how much A&M stands to benefit from this deal: 1) they get their only rival back -- the one that 95% of their tradition and identity is built upon; 2) they stand to make 100's of millions of dollars in the near term; 3) they effectively cut off the other in-state schools (TCU, Tech, SMU, Baylor, Houston) at the knees who have historically been their main competition; 4) they get their yearly buttfucking at the hands of Bama removed off the schedule; 5) they have an even better pitch to in-state recruits now that more of their games are within driving distance; and 6) they get to crow about how Texas and OU followed them and that they are some sort of visionaries/trail blazers.

But of course, they hate Texas more than they love themselves, so they will do everything in their power to cut off their nose to spite their face. It's the most aggy thing ever.

There is a lot of truth here, but with aggy that's not enough and never has been. They want to badly to be the Texas flagship and one of the college football blue bloods. Sleeping giant and all that. In their heads they always have been, they just didn't have any of those pesky results to back it up. The mean media refused to acknowledge just how super special they are. 

They thought being the lone SEC school from Texas was their ticket. That conference continued to take a bigger piece of the pie (money and attention) in the college landscape while they naively thought Texas would slowly slide into obscurity because of the Big 12. You heard Bjork say it yesterday, they want their own identity and to them that only comes if they are the state of Texas' SEC school. Once Texas has that magic patch on their shoulder as well all of a sudden they lose the entirety of what they convinced themselves was their ticket to the big-time. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Speedway said:

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Texas make approximately $53 million from the Big XII conference and Longhorn Network revenues in May 2020?  Texas made Approximately $49 million this May 2021.

Yes.  In 2025 the current tv deal is up paying 38+ million like everyone else, if that. LHN is up 2031 which pays an additional 15m.  Fox not negotiating more than they are currently paying.   So going to SEC gets us at least 55m+.  before LHN.  They probably ask us to kill that deal.  

Edited by RollLeft

36 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The most fucked up part of this, not surprisingly, is how much A&M stands to benefit from this deal: 1) they get their only rival back -- the one that 95% of their tradition and identity is built upon; 2) they stand to make 100's of millions of dollars in the near term; 3) they effectively cut off the other in-state schools (TCU, Tech, SMU, Baylor, Houston) at the knees who have historically been their main competition; 4) they get their yearly buttfucking at the hands of Bama removed off the schedule; 5) they have an even better pitch to in-state recruits now that more of their games are within driving distance; and 6) they get to crow about how Texas and OU followed them and that they are some sort of visionaries/trail blazers.

But of course, they hate Texas more than they love themselves, so they will do everything in their power to cut off their nose to spite their face. It's the most aggy thing ever.

I'm pretty sure the yearly buttfucking is their favorite part.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

17 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Haha, yeah sure. Everything about their behavior in the last 24 hours just screams their confidence in the ability to squash this whenever they please. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

they really showed their asses to the nation yesterday.
according to hangdog bjork, they left to have their own identity, which means without the sec badge of singularity, they are openly admitting they have no identity.
and they are willing to cry in public to prevent the rest of their league from taking away the sec badge of singularity.
Not only that, having their mouthpiece at the Chronicle break the story while the aggy AD just happened to be at SEC media days (that AD's typically don't attend) not only didn't blow the the thing up..but makes aggy look whiny while potentially giving us an unintended recruiting edge,.lmfao.
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

There is a reason why I said - I'm not saying it couldn't happen. It surely could happen in today's crazy world. Imagine a conference with Pitt/WVU/State Pen and Maryland. The ease for fans to get to games would be incredible. It'd be awesome.

But, there are differences in experiences for folks who have gone to Morganhole for games. Try doing it as the fan of one of their traditional rivals. It is usually not very pretty, especially at night. And the comment I posted did not come from a walk-on to WVU football. It came from a guy who made the NFL. And he is kind of in the know. He has no reason to lie to me about what he was told.

WVU already trying to remind western PA that they still exist in their OOC. In 2023 their nonconference games are Pitt, psu, Duquesne. They also have a game against Robert Morris scheduled. One step away from adding slippery rock. To their credit, at the opposite end of the spectrum they have a home and home with bama scheduled. 

Edited by heso

How does aggy continuously reporting on blocking UT and OU moving to the SEC not come off as wuss?  You see that aggy recruits and players, your university is wilting at the idea of Texas joining the SEC.  And wilting is the best, most positive word for it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Yeah but they circled 2020 as their year for years just because of the unbalanced schedule BS. That will be us to, trying to find just the perfect storm of FCS teams and shitty SEC schools on our schedule to make a run.

5 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

I mean I agree that we should stay and win the Big 12. But getting Houston and Cincy would ruin the league almost as much as Texas and OU leaving it. Talk about stupid.

I'm getting the distinct impression that you don't have the stomach for this fight. Our schedule might be too tough so we shouldn't once and for all find a stable conference to join? Maybe you should pick a different college football team to follow. A great Longhorn once said he was "forged in a hotter fire" -- this is Texas + SEC IMO.

Giddyup!

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Mdhorn said:

How does aggy continuously reporting on blocking UT and OU moving to the SEC not come off as wuss?  You see that aggy recruits and players, your university is wilting at the idea of Texas joining the SEC.  And wilting is the best, most positive word for it. 

I know it's aggy and all, but how quickly they were willing to publicly emasculate themselves like they have is still surprising to me.

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Yes.  In 2025 we lose the 15million from LHN so back down to 38+ million like everyone else, if that.  Fox not negotiating.   So going to SEC gets us to 55m+   

Doesn't the LHN deal go through 2031? So ESPN is still on the hook for $150 million in payments to Texas plus operating expenses. Anyone know what LHN expenses are?

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

A “gentleman‘s agreement” means that there is nothing in writing. Most gentleman would also know  that it doesn’t apply to anyone who was not a party to it at the time. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Yes.  In 2025 we lose the 15million from LHN so back down to 38+ million like everyone else, if that.  Fox not negotiating.   So going to SEC gets us to 55m+   

Doesn't the Longhorn Network revenues go to 2031?  I think they do.  Also, the Big XII is projecting ~$40 million for each conference member next year.  There is your $55 million for Texas.

2 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Aggie is about to have a come to jesus meeting with the rest of the SEC that's going to go like this: "If you don't want to be in the same conference as Texas, you are free to leave." 

I'm waiting for the click-baiters to start murmuring whether leaking the move and trying to stop it, despite the rest of the SEC's interest, could be just cause for Texas A&M's removal from the SEC. That'll drive some clicks...

2 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Aggie is about to have a come to jesus meeting with the rest of the SEC that's going to go like this: "If you don't want to be in the same conference as Texas, you are free to leave." 

I think it's closer to "you agree to vote 'yes' for Texas or you get a Greyhound ticket home while we ask Texas and OU who they want to replace you with."

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Yep.  With Texas and OU in the SEC, A&M no longer adds any value.

32 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

they can stop it. then watch them get get booted. then re-vote to get Texas/ousux/someone else in. this would be the most aggy thing to happen to aggy.

38 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I said clueless, not in the dark. The adults have been talking during this effort and CDC hasn’t been included in that conversation. 

If you think ADs have been involved much at all, just watch Bjork’s fucking interview yesterday. Flat-footed doesn’t even begin to describe it. 

This is the key takeaway.  The impact of such a move is well above the level and responsibility of the AD - at any university.  Even the most talented AD in the country would not be involved in the initial discussions.  The stakes are too high.

@closetojumping - when you refer to "adults" in this context, do you mean President + BOR?  Are others involved?

fuck bowtie.

"There's this understanding among the membership -- at least it was 10 years ago -- that you don't admit a school from the same state as a member school unless that member school's OK with it," Loftin told ESPN.com on Thursday. "We talked about it from time to time among ourselves, that this was the way it was going to be, that if we had another school in Texas wanting to enter the SEC, Texas A&M would have veto power."

And he found Texas' interest to be an about-face, particularly after having discussed realignment possibilities with his counterpart in Austin, Texas president Bill Powers, who died in 2019.

"They have a very high opinion of themselves -- which is not surprising -- but not always justified. And that drives a lot of thinking there," Loftin said. "Bill Powers was very clear to me that they felt much more akin to the schools in the Big Ten and on the West Coast. He was very dismissive of the SEC because he felt academically it was an inferior conference. He's no longer around, I understand that. But the fit, culturally, of A&M and the SEC is very good. The fit of Texas is not. That's just plain and simple."
Edited by Jive Turkey

Looch, that tard just has a subscriber base to keep fired up, he doesn't generate clicks and subscribers by passively admitting this is happening.

Rest assured if Sankey and the real power brokers of the SEC want this to happen that the true decision makers at aggy have been pulled aside and told that if they fuck this up they will wish they didn't live to regret it.  

It's almost like aggy doesn't understand where they are and who they are dealing with.  Sure in Philly a guy will tell you to go fuck yourself, this is the south baby where everything is nice and sweet....right up until the moment the knife gets driven into your spleen and liver from the back.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

fuck bowtie.

"There's this understanding among the membership -- at least it was 10 years ago -- that you don't admit a school from the same state as a member school unless that member school's OK with it," Loftin told ESPN.com on Thursday. "We talked about it from time to time among ourselves, that this was the way it was going to be, that if we had another school in Texas wanting to enter the SEC, Texas A&M would have veto power."

And he found Texas' interest to be an about-face, particularly after having discussed realignment possibilities with his counterpart in Austin, Texas president Bill Powers, who died in 2019.

"They have a very high opinion of themselves -- which is not surprising -- but not always justified. And that drives a lot of thinking there," Loftin said. "Bill Powers was very clear to me that they felt much more akin to the schools in the Big Ten and on the West Coast. He was very dismissive of the SEC because he felt academically it was an inferior conference. He's no longer around, I understand that. But the fit, culturally, of A&M and the SEC is very good. The fit of Texas is not. That's just plain and simple."

Yeah, gentleman's agreements are cool... An extra couple hundred million dollars over the next couple decades is even cooler.

The SEC outmaneuvered everyone for the last 15 years or so. They branded themselves as the only conference that really mattered, made strategic additions and their success in winning most of the National Championships during that span (propped up mostly by Bama) made perception reality. Fortunately for Texas we were always too big to be left behind if the Big 12 didn't work out. Sucks for the rest of the non-OU programs but that's the way it goes.

Longer than that. They maneuvered to create the first conference championship game.
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Don’t they serve the purpose of some one on the schedule who kinda looks good so when you beat them it’s good for you?

They provided a place to play in Texas to get Texas recruits.  They had no other value, and could have been replaced by "renting a major stadium on an annual basis."

3 minutes ago, DCLonghorn said:
4 hours ago, UncleSonny said:
The SEC outmaneuvered everyone for the last 15 years or so. They branded themselves as the only conference that really mattered, made strategic additions and their success in winning most of the National Championships during that span (propped up mostly by Bama) made perception reality. Fortunately for Texas we were always too big to be left behind if the Big 12 didn't work out. Sucks for the rest of the non-OU programs but that's the way it goes.

Longer than that. They maneuvered to create the first conference championship game.

And they stopped reporting one another for NCAA violations, they negotiated what was acceptable and what was off limits w/ regards to buying players. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Rest assured if Sankey and the real power brokers of the SEC want this to happen that the true decision makers at aggy have been pulled aside and told that if they fuck this up they will wish they didn't live to regret it.  

Edited by Ricky Butler

5 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

somebody should respond with this:

This is fantastic.

5 hours ago, Texas Wahoo said:

What exactly is a University CEO?  Are we talking presidents?  Are some university ADs run by a CEO?

Was wondering the same thing.

6 hours ago, Texas Wahoo said:

This guy's getting DESTROYED on Twitter. Well worth the read.

4 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

Here's a bonus to the SEC - no one has hand signs.

Besides aggy, you mean?

3 hours ago, jinx said:

I will counter with 

image.jpeg.8ed4e851cbaaefb2e8d1b946dc5a56fc.jpeg

Florida Fan Posts Craigslist Ad Looking For a Few Good Women to Entrap  Florida State Players | Hot cheerleaders, Cheerleading, Bikini ready

Pin on Free Sports Picks

11 Jaw-Dropping Reasons Why Tennessee Has The HOTTEST Fans In College  Football

The Difference Between Sheep and Goats

Okay, you got me here, but all outta rep

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

No, Mizzou would leave for the B1G. 

The B1G won't have them, which is how they ended up in the SEC.

2 hours ago, ousux said:
6 hours ago, Valmy77 said:
If only. Pussy always wins and I am not liking this latest development.
I definitely warmed up to the new Big XII as the only thing that kind of resembled one of the classic College Sports conferences. Where everybody plays each other every year and so forth. And it was our league where we were the big brand. But now we are probably going to be in somebody else's league. It sucks. It kind of feels like we have been defeated and just joining somebody else to do all the heavy lifting.
But at the end of the day it is just all about money and doing what is best for Texas and OU, and Texas and OU got together and made the Big 12 back in the 1990s so I guess now they will destroy it here in the 2020s. Or maybe it wasn't us and OU but the TV execs who just decided "No we are not going to pay for the Big 12, break that shit up right now and give us our super conferences" and we had no choice. Who knows? Well somebody does, but not me.
I feel bad for the other schools in the league, except Baylor. All the non-Baylor schools deserved better.
I guess we cannot make it on our own and time to go hide under Bama's skirts and suck SEC cock like the rest of the country.
It sucks. I hate everything about it. But at the end of the day what I think doesn't matter. I will have to come to terms with it.
And now we are looking at two or three more seasons hanging out in the Big 12 with OU and the schools we fucked over. Like having to live with your Ex for a few years while your divorce is pending. That should be fun.

Unless some epic shenanigans are pulled off by both schools that allow this to happen as quickly as next season...the last part of what you wrote will by far be the worst part. Our already tough schedule just got tougher..every Big12 school has us and blowU as win at all costs...rest of the schedule be damned. ISU already plays with chips on shoulders, but will be extra salty and has the horses this year to back up the bluster..

Stop being WUSSIES.

the fuck is wrong with y'all

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

How in any way is this an educational decision? Lmfao. Like the super-smart Ghanaian immigrant choosing between UT and Yale is factoring in what fucking football conference Texas plays in. 

We actually are moving to a better conference academically with this move

55 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Is this a possibility? I hadn't even really seen this discussed, prior to this tweet. But could OU/Texas join the SEC and then we break away from the NCAA all together? would bridge the gap for amateurism right?

This guy has no idea how anything works. This doesn't happen for less money. Everyone's getting paid.

49 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

lmao... oh my goodness, they... wow.

They were used and were all too happy to let themselves be used. The SEC used their delusions to their own benefit. It's downright sexy.

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

The number of actual boosters for those schools in either state's lege is not that big. They might have a few more grads but how many of those politicians are going to take some big courageous stand on such an unimportant issue?

They don’t have the votes and the Governor is a Longhorn. Plus, Ann Richards and Bob Bullock ain’t  walking through that door anytime soon. 

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I'm getting the distinct impression that you don't have the stomach for this fight. Our schedule might be too tough so we shouldn't once and for all find a stable conference to join? Maybe you should pick a different college football team to follow. A great Longhorn once said he was "forged in a hotter fire" -- this is Texas + SEC IMO.

Giddyup!

I have opinions. What I have a stomach for doesn't matter. Whatever happens I am going to be going to games and bitching about them on this board with you degenerates.