Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

A&M broke it because they are terrified and want as much lead time as possible to try to squash it. 

You’re telling me someone from Texas leaked it to an A&M reporter? This kind of intel would have to be from BOD at Texas and they picked an A&M reporter to break the biggest CFB story this year?

19 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

When I got in the truck a minute ago, the radio had Finebaum’s show. Before I could change the station, the caller started claiming OU was a perennial undeserved preseason top 10 that would finish no higher than 3rd in the SEC East, 4th in the West, and is about to get the shit kicked out of them by Kentucky on the reg. Then said Texas can barely put together a winning season and might be a bottom dweller. Finebaum didn’t correct him. LOL where are a mirror and a copy of the Texas-UGA SugarBowl when you need one?

First time I ever tuned in via satellite, probably 10 years ago, a Bama caller was saying Colt McCoy, like all other Texas QBs, couldn't take a hit, whereas the Bama QB in that game (Greg McElroy) was made of much sterner stuff. Very first thing I ever heard on that dipshit's show. His call screener is some kind of artist/pyschoanalyst.

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, ummm, "thinking things all the way through" isn't exactly an aggy strength.  Seriously, any child could game this out:

Option 1 -- Texas tries to come in, and we successfully stop them.  There's like a 2% chance of that happening, because the money is just too damned much.  And, ummm, we (aggy) ain't a power-broker in the SEC.  We are along for the ride, and everyone knows it.  And the Texas Lege isn't going to step into this one, except to issue statements and shit.  So, again, 2% is generous.

Option 2 -- Texas tries to come in, and we do everything a petulant little bitch with no power would do to try to stop them.  We leak the story, we bellyache to the media, we cry to state officials, and we all do so SUPER-publicly.  And we fail.  Meaning that the only thing we accomplish is to look like a pathetic little bitch to the whole world.

Option 3 -- Texas tries to come in, and even though we don't want them, we do the math on options 1 and 2 above, and choose the path of "if Texas thinks they're ready to compete with the big boys, bring it.  We'll see your asses on Thanksgiving."  That way, we look like a real-deal dignified program that actually believes in itself.

And yeah.  We all knew that option 2 was the only path that aggy would ever take.  Fucking aggy.  They just can't help themselves.

AgedCrispHamadryad-size_restricted.gif

22 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

The crazy thing about A&M going so public with their opposition is there is no walking this back. The narrative will be they did everything they could to block this (which was not much apparently) and since the likelihood of this happening is so high they are complete idiots. What a terrible strategy to just whine about this through the press. 

Fixed it for you

6 hours ago, 40acredropout said:

Thinking about how rest of Big 12 would fare so looked at TV viewership from last season.  (Source)

Some of you are probably capable of better analytic work but my attempt at summarizing.   Will try to do same for other conferences when I get a chance.

image.thumb.png.329914db94eaf5d3634a36a7ad09732a.png

Thanks for this, I was looking for it but have been too busy.   

What stands out is how many games were played on T2 channels (e.g. not Fox/ABC/ESPN).   FS1 is an anchor and just being on it will destroy averages. likely no surprise it corresponds to the audience numbers.

Games on T2 Channels:

Texas, Sooners - 0

OkSt - 1

WVU - 2

ISU - 3

Baylor, KState, TCU - 4

TTech, Kansas - 5

I figured the Cowboys would be third in total audience, but I'm a bit surprised in both how close they are to the Sooner's numbers and how well the Mountaineers and Cyclones do, especially with having 2-3 T2 games.   Factoring that in, those are actually some remarkably healthy viewership numbers for the top half.   

TCU, Baylor and Kansas, on the other hand...

12 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I think it's sinking in for me how huge this is going to be. This is THE dominant national sports news story right now along with the Olympics. 

TEXAS and OKLAHOMA in the SEC. Just bananas. The gap between the SEC and whoever is 2nd - the B10 I guess - is going to be hilariously massive. 

The TV money, ratings, merchandise sales are going to be insane. The recruiting edge is going to be insane. Basically every weekend you are going to have a crazy slate of games in conference play. Some weekends are going to resemble a playoff slate in October or November. 

If this does happen - the fallout is going to be something to witness. There's going to be a mad dash from all the other "power" conferences to try and put together anything that can compete. 

Plus you guys will be able to move the games against UTSA to November for a late season breather as per sec tradition. 

17 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Complete bullshit narratives. 

Agreed

Every school does what's best for themselves.... Arkansas, Colorado, Nebraska, Aggies, Missouri, Notre Dame, TCU, West Virginia, etc.... they left/joined/stayed in various leagues over the last 30 years -- basically they were all self-interested. 

Except when Texas even hints that when this TV deal is done in five years, then we might be acting in our own best interest, and then suddenly there's this deafening chorus about how we're bullies, or impossible to live with, or how totally unfair we are.  It's silly.  

Edited by Paul Wesley
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

If it does happen, and we are thrown back into the yearly Thanksgiving game, I think it would be a fitting pay back to beat them by 40 points for 10 years straight.... sweet, sweet aggy tears.

Right! No more FedEx years, aggy. Our NIL’s are bigger than y’all’s! (I hope😬)

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

With this announcement that they’re shopping around for a conference this is the beginning of the end  Big 12 is officially done. Only need 1 more school to make the same announcement and we could be in the SEC as early as next season. 

This is kind of what I'm hoping for. I can't think of who would find a home as quickly as tech though. Can we appreciate for a moment how we absolutely skullfucked Tech twice in the span of a few months? We stole their coach and then demolished their conference. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

This is kind of what I'm hoping for. I can't think of who would find a home as quickly as tech though. Can we appreciate for a moment how we absolutely skullfucked Tech twice in the span of a few months? We stole their coach and then demolished their conference. 

KU for its basketball. Either ACC or b10. 

Basically every weekend you are going to have a crazy slate of games in conference play. Some weekends are going to resemble a playoff slate in October or

That’s a bit of an overstatement. It’s just us and OU having an average of 1-2 bigger games each season. Depending on how pods/divisions work out, some years maybe more and some years less. We’re not adding Bama, LSU, Georgia and Florida every season
  • Hook 'Em 1

You know I don't want to shit on Tech but what did they expect? That we would be together forever? There are only so many spaces to go and we were bound for one of the conferences with only so much room. And we were always going with OU. And it was always ending when the Grant Of Rights ended. 

Edited by mdmost

Just now, SquishMitten said:

That’s a bit of an overstatement. It’s just us and OU having an average of 1-2 bigger games each season. Depending on how pods/divisions work out, some years maybe more and some years less. We’re not adding Bama, LSU, Georgia and Florida every season

I think A&M visited Georgia once since they joined the league.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, mdmost said:

You know I don't want to shit on Tech but what did they expect? That we would be together forever? There are only so many spaces to go and we were bound for one of the conferences with only so much room. And we were always going with OU. 

He said nothing there that is untrue. Tech went along with every crazy PAC or ACC scheme we cooked up. They were loyal to us. But, you know, it's business.

I think they will be fine. They don't need the Big XII to be a top athletic program.

8 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

It’s just us and OU having an average of 1-2 bigger games each season.

Um. No it isn't. It's also every team that gets Texas or OU added to their schedule. 

Hypothetically - Arkansas/Auburn is now Arkansas/Texas. aggy/Missouri is now aggy/OU. That's 2 games and already a big difference. And that would just be within the division. 

If they do 2 cross-division games - you now get games like OU/Bama and Florida/Texas instead of Bama/Kentucky or Florida/Miss St.

I mean - are you kidding me? Have you thought this through? 

Also - that's without looking at the other side of the conference. There's no way of knowing what this will actually look like - but as has been suggested - say Bama and Barn go to the East. Now you get: Georgia/Bama, Florida/Bama, Florida/Auburn every year without fail. You no longer get Bama/LSU or Auburn/LSU - but you now get aggy/Texas, Texas/LSU and Oklahoma LSU.

The schedule would be nutty.

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 3