Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

9 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

So, via a few phone calls and texts I've tried to piece together a bit about how this has all come about. Here are the cliff notes. No idea if this is actually what happened, but it's what I've heard and there are a few interesting tidbits.

The TV deals made it clear Big 12 was in trouble. The NIL was like pouring gasoline on the fire.

Interestingly, OU was the key. They didn't want to go Pac 10 or Big 10, so the only option left was SEC, and they like money. They actually are the key decision makers on this, not Texas, but more on that in a moment.

So, OU was intent on heading to the SEC. That put Texas in a tough spot. If they went Big 10 or independent, they would continue to fight the "best conference" problem in recruiting, only it would be even worse because now it would be OU too saying it. Plus, Big 10 and Pac 10 just weren't as attractive, money-wise, demographics-wise, etc. (Rust belt). Texas had nowhere else to go.  Then, they realized they might as well walk into the best marketed conference and just slug it out for leadership.  With the SEC tag, the recruiting would improve. There would be more dollars. It would hurt A&M, it would be neutral wrt OU. Why not just go ahead and try to be the top brand in the top conference?

So if OU is the real force for this change, with Texas eventually realizing it made sense for Texas too, why is Texas getting tagged as the instigator and leader of this? Oklahoma State. OU has a tricky situation leaving behind OSU that is more difficult to manage than Texas leaving behind Tech.

Is this a done deal? Don't know, but what I do know is we are about to learn how savvy CDC and Hartzell are or are not.  To line up Texas legislature support for the move in the background before all of this became public is extremely difficult to do. If they have all of the Texas legislature votes that matter, that is a helluva job they've done.

As far as the move itself? It's brilliant.  The cheating of the SEC was the only real barrier to this move previously, and between NIL and a realization that the NCAA is toothless, Texas decided to just deal with it in favor of all of the benefits of SEC membership.

If the move falls apart and doesn't happen? Oh shit.

Just now catching up, but the only part of this I would 100% agree with is your last sentence. UT was in talks with the SEC when McRaven was here. We are fucked if this doesn’t happen and it was the only legitimate option available, but it had nothing to do with OU or more precisely OSU. Come on.

4 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

They'd rather go independent?  Who are they threatening with that bullshit?  Da'fuq is in the water in college station?  

Independent aggy would be one of the biggest trainwrecks in collegiate athletics history. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

What's the O/U on the number of teams the Big 12 will accept from the AAC's 11 football playing members in order to continue to exist?

Are they going to keep the name because that implies whatever gets to 12.  I dunno, but it's contingent on who stays and the deck of the titanic isn't a winning sales pitch right now.  Hell, the AAC may approach the Big 12 for members.

Edited by Mdhorn

8 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

They'd rather go independent?  Who are they threatening with that bullshit?  Da'fuq is in the water in college station?  

Please let them. That’d be beyond hilarious. Going independent to run away from mean ole Texas 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Randolph Duke said:

The ags are such subservient pieces of shit. It’s hilarious.

When you’re a rookie, you show respect. 
The SEC took a chance on us, and we were grateful. 
It wasn’t our place to act like jackasses. 
To this day, each game we play/host in the SEC is an honor.“ 

https://www.secrant.com/rant/sec-football/have-to-give-ags-and-mizzou-credit/97373661/

Isn't that the equivalent of just dropping your pants and bending over?

18 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I like the dumbass aggy admitting that he's already cancelled his donation to the school. Like it's... the school's fault? that Texas is joining the SEC.

I really only went through posts with a lot of upvotes. I love that 13 people gave rep. 

8 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The most fucked up part of this, not surprisingly, is how much A&M stands to benefit from this deal: 1) they get their only rival back -- the one that 95% of their tradition and identity is built upon; 2) they stand to make 100's of millions of dollars in the near term; 3) they effectively cut off the other in-state schools (TCU, Tech, SMU, Baylor, Houston) at the knees who have historically been their main competition; 4) they get their yearly buttfucking at the hands of Bama removed off the schedule; 5) they have an even better pitch to in-state recruits now that more of their games are within driving distance; and 6) they get to crow about how Texas and OU followed them and that they are some sort of visionaries/trail blazers.

But of course, they hate Texas more than they love themselves, so they will do everything in their power to cut off their nose to spite their face. It's the most aggy thing ever.

Aggy is completely fucked if this happens. They will be in a conference with Alabama, OU, Texas, Florida, LSU, Georgia, Arkansas, Tennesse and Auburn. Where exactly do you think this lands them on the pecking order? I mean I get they are abject morons but so far I am surprised so many of their fans realize how bad this will be for them.

30 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

I'd love to hear the rationalizations when they schedule 12 games against the likes of Lamar and Nicholls State and they go 11-1 and get left out of the playoff for a 10-2 Notre Dame.

I'd also love to see their athletic department go broke, which would happen within five years.

• Hook 'Em 1

With the N-I-L they have to make this move to position to compete to legally buy the best roster possible year in and year out. They, and even moreso Oklahoma, saw that coming for sure. I can't imagine there's even a 1 percent chance it doesn't happen because it would be disaster for Texas and Oklahoma. No way they let that happen. They'll bribe who they have to if nothing else works. 

But holy shit is Sark going to get hammered by the refs in conference this season. Like we've never seen before. It'll look like 2002 NBA WCF

Edited by Hermanator

Reading that Secrant thread was pretty nauseating.

1. Aggies licking every southern nutsack they can find to prove they belong.

2. SEC posters (maybe just more Aggies, who knows) seemingly believing that "it just means more" in the SEC and then calling Texas arrogant.

3. Just the low IQ level and irony deafness.

Charlotte Sooner is shaking them up pretty good. The more I think about it, the more I think most of the posters on that thread are Aggies and Aggie socks.

• Hook 'Em 1

Reading that Secrant thread was pretty nauseating.
1. Aggies licking every southern nutsack they can find to prove they belong.
2. SEC posters (maybe just more Aggies, who knows) seemingly believing that "it just means more" in the SEC and then calling Texas arrogant.
3. Just the low IQ level and irony deafness.
Charlotte Sooner is shaking them up pretty good. The more I think about it, the more I think most of the posters on that thread are Aggies and Aggie socks.

The SEC is as much of a cult as Aggy.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I just happened to catch about five minutes of 610-AM talk about the move this afternoon and they had some ag on there in studio whining about "tu" coming to their beloved SEC and then they handed the mike to Arky Clint Stoerner who just fucking ripped the ag to shreds for being such a gigantic weenie. Literally left the ag speechless...When they went back to him, he tried to come back with some smack but could only croak, and everyone in the studio laughed at him.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 2

With the N-I-L they have to make this move to position to compete to legally buy the best roster possible year in and year out. They, and even moreso Oklahoma, saw that coming for sure. I can't imagine there's even a 1 percent chance it doesn't happen because it would be disaster for Texas and Oklahoma. No way they let that happen. They'll bribe who they have to if nothing else works. 
But holy shit is Sark going to get hammered by the refs in conference this season. Like we've never seen before. It'll look like 2002 NBA WCF
Both us and BlowU (mostly us) will have to contend with getting completely '15 Okie Lite-like hosed in nearly every game as long as we're still playing in the Big12, no doubt about that.

35 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I just happened to catch about five minutes of 610-AM talk about the move this afternoon and they had some ag on there in studio whining about "tu" coming to their beloved SEC and then they handed the mike to Arky Clint Stoerner who just fucking ripped the ag to shreds for being such a gigantic weenie. Literally left the ag speechless...When they went back to him, he tried to come back with some smack but could only croak, and everyone in the studio laughed at him.  

Stoerner is the best thing on 610.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, mchookem said:

if this deal gets done... every single game we play this season is going to be so chippy, they'll ALL be out for murder. there will be horns down all over the place 🙄

Who gives a fuck? It makes no difference. They can do it all game, just win baby.  Also, Everyone hates Texas, so they play their little hearts out and really really try. We still win and they go home hating Texas. Rinse, Repeat.

2 hours ago, HornyPony69 said:

Various stages of grief and delusion 

D35CEEA8-8F1D-4104-8DCA-53C1308CDD97.jpeg

16E159B3-34B7-4A1C-B577-F3F151F34A6F.jpeg

8405F96E-223A-457C-AD47-E662A5E938CD.jpeg

1312479C-FC2F-4EFC-84D1-4F6FB1730431.jpeg

EDCB5E4A-899A-44BC-A870-81392821AE91.jpeg

33C963F8-0E3E-4DC0-9B11-C4911E7F7764.jpeg

B5CDD1CE-4D9C-4F73-BCC4-F9EFDB19E136.jpeg

070012E9-9ECC-4642-AADA-1A101A93EC71.jpeg

061EE65A-99DA-4A12-991E-2203BDC1A7B3.jpeg

A2C3C741-C29A-4DBC-AB25-D9088830D81E.jpeg

In order:

1. Yes they did. You are correct.

2. The neighbors hate your guts, but they like your pool and want to eat your food.

3. Yes they did. No it will not. (Everyone is who they are, dipshit.)

4. This dude's wife is unsatisfied and he smells his own farts.

5. Good, spend your money on something that returns a profit.

6. You got it, numbnuts. Nobody outside of your shitty town will care one bit if it goes away.

7. Yup!

8. Please go independent. Please?

9. You did this to yourselves. Reap what you have sown.

10. You thought that girl invited you to the party because she liked you? Nope, she was hoping your hot friend from Austin would show up to bang her. Hold our beer.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

Assuming this is just step one of major realignment, and phase two is B1G raids PAC (most likely next move IMO).. then I think the Big 12 and PAC leftovers get together and form a decent league.  

West:  ASU, Arizona, Utah, Colorado, Tech, TCU
East:  OSU, Kansas, KSU, Iowa St, Baylor, WVU

WVU probably ends up in an eastern league after the ACC gets poachable.  But that might be quite a way down the road.  The only schools in big trouble in that scenario are Oregon State and Washington State (and they're the two that should be in the most trouble from a value standpoint.)  

If on the other hand, the B1G doesn't raid the PAC, then I think the Big 12 adds a couple of schools from the G5 and survives.  Houston, BYU, and Cincinnati all make some sense.  

So I was out with some Aggie buddies tonight and they brought it up.  I agreed with them that Aggie will lose most from this and one of them brought up that ex president of Aggie brought up that there was a gentleman's agreement that it wasn't allowed.  I said I don't know much about anti trust and monopoly laws but wouldn't that fall under that?  I'm sure that's not a rabbit hole the SEC would like to see them go into now

A gentleman's agreement? We're talking about  a trusted agreement,  nothing signed, no letter of law to hold the other liable, in college athletics? A place where people will kill their first born for a 5 star recruit? Tell lies about the other 12 teams on their schedule, all for winning a game? 

If a&m had a gentleman's agreement with the SEC and they thought that held water, that is right in line with who they are. Probably explains why they usually only want to work with fellow aggies. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

it’s Jeremy Clark so I wouldn’t immediately believe him if he told me Gary Patterson beats the shit out of women. If he told me the Texas state flag had 1 star on it I’d assume he’s lying, just on pure instinct. 

If they use the phase "it's a fluid situation", throw it in the trash. 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Gardner Barnes said:

South Carolina is garbage.

Columbia is pretty trashy, and September games are a unique hell because it's in a heat island. BUT your long weekend can be saved by going to Greenville (mountain-y, surprisingly cool) or Charleston (God's gift to the world. Just the perfect small city) outside of gameday.

Edited by texifornia

12 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Columbia is pretty trashy, and September games are a unique hell because it's in a heat island. BUT your long weekend can be saved by going to Greenville (mountain-y, surprisingly cool) or Charleston (God's gift to the world. Just the perfect small city) outside of gameday.

@golfclap

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

Can we have one pass? A stadium full of Texas fans chanting SEC-SEC-SEC the first time we beat aggy would be an awesome experience.

Already noted I need to update my caveats. SEC chants as sarcastic fuck the SEC chants would be awesome. Actually why not just chant fuck the SEC in that case?

• Hook 'Em 1