Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

1 hour ago, nnm said:

Eric Dickerson had a gentlemen’s agreement to attend aggy in exchange for a new trans am. 
c7a915778f59407cbb4d9abfa65f806b.jpg

I used to work with a guy that played with Dickerson at Sealy, he said they were at school and watched as the car was put on a flatbed and taken after Dickerson told aggy to fuck off, then SMU got it back for him.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

OSU and Michigan never tried to leave the Big 10 because that’s a superior (and older, more established) conference.  I don’t get how you’re not understanding that.  The Big 12 had “original members” leave before the conference was even old enough to legally drink. That should have told you everything you needed to know about this conference. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

The only reason we wish we had jumped back then, is because Nebraska and OU turned out to be bad partners that ditched us.  Ohio State and Michigan are surrounded by equally shitty schools and they've never thought about ditching them.  I would MUCH rather the Big 12 stayed together over being in the Big 10.

The only thing I prefer about the Big 10 is that Ohio State and Michigan have never tried to leave.

We just want a forever home.  You want air conditioned doghouses.  It's not the same thing.

The B1G has some of the biggest national fanbases in cfb - Wisco, Iowa, Penn State, hell even IU, Michigan State, and Minnesota are pretty big programs.

It's a lot more pull than WVU, Tech, and K State. Even Northwestern has a lot more pull than our shitty private schools.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

This is the best part so far. Knowing what whining, petulant shitheads aggys are, the S!E!C! powers simply excluded them from the entire discussion for SIX MONTHS! and merrily whistled past them, not telling them a damned thing.

I think that shows how aggys is looked at among those conference administrators.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

The B1G has some of the biggest national fanbases in cfb - Wisco, Iowa, Penn State, hell even IU, Michigan State, and Minnesota are pretty big programs.

It's a lot more pull than WVU, Tech, and K State. Even Northwestern has a lot more pull than our shitty private schools.

Other than Penn State, those fanbases are maybe slightly larger than the Big 12 publics.  Iowa is not a national fanbase.  ISU has a bigger stadium than Indiana and Minnesota.  Hell, most of the Big 12 (sans Baylor and Tech) have bigger stadiums than Indiana and Minnesota.

The difference does not lie with the trough feeders.  It lies with the guys on top.

Doesn't mean you're evil, or bad, but there's a huge difference in how the blue bloods of other conferences have behaved in comparison to those in the Big 8/SWC/Big 12 footprint.

Just now, Message Board User said:

However this turns out I am impressed that this was able to remain a secret for 6 months until Aggy got wind of it and tried to blow it up.

Pure gold:

How the hell could something like this be kept secret for 6 months!!? That's very hard to believe.

F#*% Greg Snake-y

Dumb southern yokels have no idea what they're doing in the SEC if they let this go down. Thought they were the savvy negotiators but turns out they're buying the We're the Joneses line.

****ing disgusting

No F###ing way this goes for 6 months and TAMU doesn't here about it.

https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/3211187

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

The greatest of all the SEC media myths is that every member is an equal partner. Sure they split the money equally, everything looks above aboard on paper, but Bama runs the league with the commissioner as their pawn. Everybody plays nice because it's the best conference with the most money. 

The SEC played the long game and added Aggy and Mizzou to get Texas and OU. It appears their plan will prevail.  

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, TexasFan21 said:

Regular season, yes. Postseason, no.

Yeah I realized that as I was clicking submit. Considering a weekend tournament the conference championship after playing conference basketball for three months is absurd, but that's for another thread. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Zhorn96 said:

for those wondering why the Pac wouldn't take TCU or Baylor...there is a long held sentiment of "no religious schools" to be in the Pac.  BYU has wanted in forever and they're a better take than the other 2 I would think

Well the PAC 12 better start bending old beliefs because this is going to be a crazy ride with Texas and OU to SEC as an indicator of the new landscape.

11 minutes ago, Walnut said:

LSU fan here, lived in Austin for a few years, wanting to give some thoughts on the situation with the other fan bases.

The response on SEC Rant to this potential shift has been mixed-to-toxic. The fact of the matter is SECR posters are notoriously dumb as a rule. Most of the time they’re just trying to troll each other and aren’t interested in real discussion. I don’t take them very seriously (even on the Tiger Rant side) and you really shouldn’t either.

That said, I think there’s a grain of truth to how they feel about it with how they’re reacting, and it boils down to A&M fans setting up expectations for the worst. I went to the LSU game in Austin rocking my purple and gold, and Texas fans were as nice as could be from start-to-finish, which had generally been my experience with y’all too when I went to Big 12 games watching on the Texas side. Some of the more crybaby fans from A&M (and a few from LSU who had a bad experience in 2019) keep crying about how mean old Texas is arrogant and is trying to gut the conference. They’re just scared of having another National brand to compete with, honestly.

I understand the beef with the SEC since ESPN has done their best to market a perversion of the southern school’s camaraderie that formed in 2004 when Auburn got left out in favor of Oklahoma for a shot at USC (camaraderie which has since then died off), but in the end you’ll probably be able to accept it like we do, because it brings recruits and money, even if it’s annoying. And believe me, it annoys a lot of LSU fans - I have seen my share of threads of people wanting to leave the SEC over it and their Alabama little brother syndrome.

If this move does happen I look forward to more games in Austin. Texas has a different culture than most of the other schools, but if we can accept Missouri for being the weirdos that they are, we can definitely have fun with Texas in the mix.

I'm sure there are lots of reasonable fans in the SEC. Fuck them. What makes college football fun is pure, unadulterated hatred. I hate everything about OU - the players, the coaches, their stupid band that only plays one song, the morons in the schooner. Everything. I would also murder anyone who suggested we not play them every year. Unfortunately, you can't hate everyone. ISU and WVU are fine. I don't hate them even though they have no business beating Texas. I mostly pity Tech and don't think of TCU unless we're playing them. I could see LSU, Florida, Georgia, and Alabama being really easy to hate, which will just make college football more fun.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Well the PAC 12 better start bending old beliefs because this is going to be a crazy ride with Texas and OU to SEC as an indicator of the new landscape.

TCU and Baylor just aren't additive in anything but a little bit of football/basketball prestige. No one wants to watch them play, so they're worthless for the big TV money.

6 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The greatest of all the SEC media myths is that every member is an equal partner. Sure they split the money equally, everything looks above aboard on paper, but Bama runs the league with the commissioner as their pawn. Everybody plays nice because it's the best conference with the most money. 

The SEC played the long game and added Aggy and Mizzou to get Texas and OU. It appears their plan will prevail.  

Was going to post this.  Bama runs the SEC.  Ask Arkansas if it’s “egalitarian.”

The SEC rubes will talk about Texas running the Big 12 as if it’s different than Bama running the SEC.

6 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Other than Penn State, those fanbases are maybe slightly larger than the Big 12 publics.  Iowa is not a national fanbase.  ISU has a bigger stadium than Indiana and Minnesota.  Hell, most of the Big 12 (sans Baylor and Tech) have bigger stadiums than Indiana and Minnesota.

The difference does not lie with the trough feeders.  It lies with the guys on top.

Doesn't mean you're evil, or bad, but there's a huge difference in how the blue bloods of other conferences have behaved in comparison to those in the Big 8/SWC/Big 12 footprint.

I think the point Huck, I think, was making was the difference is those blue bloods have been together for a century.   The Big 12 was merging blue bloods and having multiple alphas in a room who haven't figured out how to alpha together, was a cage match waiting to happen.   In the end, Nebraska was kneecapped and didn't like it.

Even if you consider Pedo and Nebby blue bloods, by the time they entered the Big Ten they were both neutered at entry and brought to knee by the Buckeyes.

On the flip side, the SEC has never expanded with a school brand the likes of the Sooners, let alone Texas, there is bound to be some fireworks if it occurs, even if it doesn't happen for years.  

Additionally, this instability isn't like before.   This is caused by a seismic shift occurring that is redefining what this sport will be.   Texas and Oklahoma are already losing ground in recruiting to the powers that be around them who are well versed in not playing by the rules.  Its easier to fightback inside that bubble than outside.   

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, texifornia said:
OU guy

Everybody has a money issue. Nobody moves conferences around to try to win more. As if what happens on the field has anything to do with this.

And Baylor, Michigan State, and Penn State have image issues. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Was going to post this.  Bama runs the SEC.  Ask Arkansas if it’s “egalitarian.”

The SEC rubes will talk about Texas running the Big 12 as if it’s different than Bama running the SEC.

Texas wishes they ran the Big 12 like Bama runs the SEC. They actually understand things like controlling the commissioner, scheduling, officiating, all while flying under the media's radar. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

9 hours ago, HornyPony69 said:

Various stages of grief and delusion 

D35CEEA8-8F1D-4104-8DCA-53C1308CDD97.jpeg

16E159B3-34B7-4A1C-B577-F3F151F34A6F.jpeg

8405F96E-223A-457C-AD47-E662A5E938CD.jpeg

1312479C-FC2F-4EFC-84D1-4F6FB1730431.jpeg

EDCB5E4A-899A-44BC-A870-81392821AE91.jpeg

33C963F8-0E3E-4DC0-9B11-C4911E7F7764.jpeg

B5CDD1CE-4D9C-4F73-BCC4-F9EFDB19E136.jpeg

070012E9-9ECC-4642-AADA-1A101A93EC71.jpeg

061EE65A-99DA-4A12-991E-2203BDC1A7B3.jpeg

A2C3C741-C29A-4DBC-AB25-D9088830D81E.jpeg

One of the things that I love about this board that drives me crazy on other boards, and texags seems to be the absolute worst about is keeping topics to a single thread. 

Almost every thread on their front page should all be in a single topic. But they are all such self important cunts that they think every thought they have merits it’s own thread instead of just posting it into a single thread. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1