Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

10 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

That statement further shows PAC would have been the worst decision we could have made. God bless Lord Hartzell.

Cosign.

EDIT: I guess I'd prefer PAC over the ACC or BIG, but still. They're playing checkers while everyone else is playing chess.

Edited by Saint Austin

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

“Frick”, “baw”, and “shite” are apparently a part of their linguistic evolution in the swamps.

First off, I had no idea that the SEC was filled with Christians from Scotland.  Also, did “bah” get bastardized into “baw” when aggy joined the conference?

13 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Of the two, the SEC is a better fit.  We actually don’t fit culturally very well with either - a SWC or Big 12 fits us better if they could actually work.  But at least the SEC isn’t a 5 hour flight to everywhere, it’s not cold, it’s where the good recruits are, and they have a certain Southern good-nature to balance their dumb yokel bullshit, whereas the Big 10 is basically Philadelphia Eagles fans.  The Big 10 schools themselves may have prestige and an air of sophistication, but the actual people in the fan bases have a critical mass of trashy soccer hooligans from dead Rust Belt towns that Bruce Springsteen would sing about.  At least Mississippi puts their depressing existence aside and makes the Grove nice for visitors.

I’m indifferent on SEC vs PAC12, but I never understood how the distance argument carried much water. We’d likely play 8 conference games. 4 will be at home. Of the other 4, 2 will likely be teams from our division/pod, teams such as OU, OSU, Tech, CU if we did PAC vs OU, aggy, LSU, Piggy in SEC. No real change vs Big12 travel. The remaining two road games could be AZ, ASU, Utah (no big deal compared to ISU, KSU type travel), and one game per year would be a long flight to Washington, Oregon, or Northern California. Is that one long flight per season enough to kill the deal? Is it that much less convenient than traveling to WV?

Playing Devil’s advocate, it’s not like games at UF, Georgia, or South Carolina are pop in the family car road trips either. There are reasons the SEC makes more sense ($$$ and time zones), but the travel argument is weak IMO. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, bejezuz said:

It's like they've never met a Vandy grad.  Vanderbilt alums look down at SMU and Baylor alums like they dropped out of Prairie View.  The only non-Ivy alums I've met that are worse are Rice grads.  

And there's other responses to the angle of a cultural fit.  First, while Texas students and alumni might on the whole be more, shall we say, progressive and sophisticated than the likes of those from Arkansas, Mississippi State, and others in the SEC, keep in mind that we also have a huge fan base in East Texas, which is almost a quarter of our state and more like Deep South SEC territory than Austin/Central Texas.

Also, a lot of SEC schools are no less of a cultural fit with us than Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Iowa State, and Tech.  A lot of conferences have relatively liberal institutions in metropolitan areas mixed in with more conservative rural schools out in the sticks.   

The whole cultural fit doesn't make a shit.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I love west coast road trips but let's just take those future Bama, Florida, and Georgia home and homes and make that with Pac 12 teams like Washington, Oregon, and USC. 

Gagreed. If we do go to a 9 game conference schedule in the SEC I'd prefer to use 2 of the 3 non-conference games, if not all 3, on teams west of Texas.

Just now, maninblack said:

Gagreed. If we do go to a 9 game conference schedule in the SEC I'd prefer to use 2 of the 3 non-conference games, if not all 3, on teams west of Texas.

Man, you know we're getting UTEP, UTSA, and one decent but not scary OOC now after the Ohio State and Michigan series are done. 

1 minute ago, Hurtlocker said:

This isn't a cultural conversation, its a battle ground designation.   Doesn't matter if they can't form words, they're gabbing local recruiting territory, no other conference is doing that.   This is a war declaration more than anything else

mel gibson braveheart GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

I’m indifferent on SEC vs PAC12, but I never understood how the distance argument carried much water. We’d likely play 8 conference games. 4 will be at home. Of the other 4, 2 will likely be teams from our division/pod, teams such as OU, OSU, Tech, CU if we did PAC vs OU, aggy, LSU, Piggy in SEC. No real change vs Big12 travel. The remaining two road games could be AZ, ASU, Utah (no big deal compared to ISU, KSU type travel), and one game per year would be a long flight to Washington, Oregon, or Northern California. Is that one long flight per season enough to kill the deal? Is it that much less convenient than traveling to WV?

Playing Devil’s advocate, it’s not like games at UF, Georgia, or South Carolina are pop in the family car road trips either. There are reasons the SEC makes more sense ($$$ and time zones), but the travel argument is weak IMO. 

Your travel assessment assumes 8 football games and no basketball, baseball/softball, soccer, track and field, gymnastics, swimming/diving, volleyball, golf, tennis and all of those other Director's Cup sports we seem to be doing well with.  That is why there is an entire Athletic Department and not just a "Football Department".

• Hook 'Em 3

30 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Truly incredible that it stayed quiet for this long.

For sure. And just one more example of “keeping your friends close and your enemies closer”.  That shit applies to so many parts of life…but none more than college football conference realignment.😉

Just now, mdmost said:

Man, you know we're getting UTEP, UTSA, and one decent but not scary OOC now after the Ohio State and Michigan series are done. 

Yup, exactly.

We may even get the dreaded FCS team if they stick to 8.

I think this will also make it where other SEC teams don't schedule that large home opener any long as well. It won't be unique to Texas in not playing top tier p5 OOC.

Games like a Texas vs Wake Forrest/UCF/SMU/Rutgers/etc will be the be OOC games.

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

Yeah I figure it will be Arizona, ASU, Utah type schools as our “good” OOC game moving forward, bookended with two from the list of Rice, UTSA, UTEP, UNT, etc. Why don’t we ever play SMU? Think Tech would be down for an OOC series after the dust settles? 😆 

24 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

At least we have options.

And (I say this in all seriousness) I've always wanted to attend a game at Wazzu.

I say this with all due respect but...the fuck is wrong with you

Pullman is a tiny piece of shit town in the middle of nowhere that is brutal to get to.  It doesn't even have the honor of being quaint or pretty, its in the middle of an agricultural area and is Lubbock without the social life

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

atavistic

I consider myself a fairly well-read individual, but I gotta admit; I had to hit the dictionary for this one. 

Definition > a person who has not developed at the same pace as the rest of society

shooting star GIF

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Naaah. It's fun being with USC in the No FCS Club. It's not like UTEP or Rice is any scarier than Lamar.

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

I think the phrase goes, "keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer, and I actually don't know that guy but he is giving off a Deliverance type creepy vibe."

FIFY

6 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

If I were the PAC I would take OKST, TCU or SMU, HOUSTON and a fourth team and make them the East POD. Two large media and fruitful recruiting Texas markets and the state of Oklahoma. I would not bother with Tech or Baylor.

They're definitely not doing that

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yup, exactly.

We may even get the dreaded FCS team if they stick to 8.

I think this will also make it where other SEC teams don't schedule that large home opener any long as well. It won't be unique to Texas in not playing top tier p5 OOC.

Games like a Texas vs Wake Forrest/UCF/SMU/Rutgers/etc will be the be OOC games.

If Gerry's coaching source is correct, the OOC games will take care of themselves.

3 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Yeah I figure it will be Arizona, ASU, Utah type schools as our “good” OOC game moving forward, bookended with two from the list of Rice, UTSA, UTEP, UNT, etc. Why don’t we ever play SMU? Think Tech would be down for an OOC series after the dust settles? 😆 

We have Arizona State on the 2032-2033 schedule. Now we'll need new OOC opponents for 2028-2031. Not sure what happens to the Bama series but I'd think the 2022 game will stay unless that's our first year in the SEC. 

7 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

If I were the PAC I would take OKST, TCU or SMU, HOUSTON and a fourth team and make them the East POD. Two large media and fruitful recruiting Texas markets and the state of Oklahoma. I would not bother with Tech or Baylor.

Lol I'm sure Stanford or Berkeley would love to roll into the 3rd Ward

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, NTVTXN said:

For sure. And just one more example of “keeping your friends close and your enemies closer”.  That shit applies to so many parts of life…but none more than college football conference realignment.😉

Also, “keep the fuck away from aggy.”

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

They already are the worst paid P5 conference, and that's before adding a couple of small fan base schools and dividing the pot 2 more ways.

5 minutes ago, Zhorn96 said:

I say this with all due respect but...the fuck is wrong with you

Pullman is a tiny piece of shit town in the middle of nowhere that is brutal to get to.  It doesn't even have the honor of being quaint or pretty, its in the middle of an agricultural area and is Lubbock without the social life

I got quite a few buddies that went to Wazzu.  It's next to the Tri Cities, which compared to Lubbock, you know what, nevermind.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Apparently they want Texas fans to go “shite” on their board…

https://www.secrant.com/rant/sec-football/if-texas-fans-come--shite-on-this-board/97375106/

And just reading through some of the threads,  Mississippi State fans are on par with the snot buckets from Arkansas, OUsux, and aggy.   

I for one will never make an account there

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, DFW Horn said:

Why the hell would Bowlsby do that? You don't think he likes being the Big 12 commish?

Being 2nd in charge at the SEC doesn't pay as well.

There won't be a Big 12 commissioner once this settles. The ACC and Big 10 aren't staying at 14 teams if the SEC is at 16.

1 minute ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

So the ESPN story posted says a source confirms that the negotiations have been on going for six months…….without consulting aggy. That has to hurt.

Funny that TexAgs claims this is deceitful and backstabbing by the powers that be, but the truth is they just don’t matter in the discussion. This is about adding 2 of the biggest brands in college athletics and thus preventing us from otherwise joining the Big 10, ACC, or PAC. This is a business decision and their deluded, spiteful opinions aren’t going to even remotely sway the decision. They’re still the new kids on the block but act like Bama or any of the other original SEC members give a shit what they think. They were only used for 1 thing by the SEC and that was to gain access to the State of Texas. We are and always have been the crowned jewel of conference realignment and they can’t handle the truth that historical they are an irrelevant athletic department and even since joining the mighty SEC, they still have not played for national championships in the big 3 sports like fucking Baylor and Texas Tech. If they want to be out of our shadow, they can just go fuck off and join the Big 10 or ACC or wherever because we’re coming whether they like it or not.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Do you want Texas to have a powerhouse football program again? Then the Pac 12 would've been a disastrous decision. They don't GAF about football out there. The conference is borderline irrelevant in every sport that matters to us. But, yay, we'd get road trips to California! Personally, I'd rather see games in Athens, Oxford, Knoxville, Tuscaloosa, etc.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1