Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

Texas isn’t finding other conferences for certain remaining schools just for that purpose. If we want out of the GOR, we will find a way out. But that doesn’t mean we are trying to find other conferences for tgecrensjjjng schools. We aren’t doing their homework for them.

Because we don't have to. Texas and OU knew that the moment this became public, all other teams in the Big 12 would be reaching out to conferences, who now have a renewed sense of urgency to expand. Reports are saying that is exactly what is happening. Why waste time and money on a problem that will take care of itself? I'm sure Texas will take a phone call from a conference for some insight on the administration of a school, but Texas isn't going to make phone calls or sit down at any tables on behalf of other Big 12 schools.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Eastwood said:

Because we don't have to. Texas and OU knew that the moment this became public, all other teams in the Big 12 would be reaching out to conferences, who now have a renewed sense of urgency to expand. Reports are saying that is exactly what is happening. Why waste time and money on a problem that will take care of itself? I'm sure Texas will take a phone call from a conference for some insight on the administration of a school, but Texas isn't going to make phone calls or sit down at any tables on behalf of other Big 12 schools.

this. we will help if/where necessary to move things along if it makes sense.

1 minute ago, Eastwood said:

Exactly.

5 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

One thing I'm not sure about: Does Kansas and the other school(s) also have to agree to leave early? In other words, Kansas may lock up a Big 10 spot but decide they want the Big 12 money until 2025. Let's say everyone else does the same. Does that help us at all? Or do we need them to also support leaving early?

Seems likely they'd want to get it over with and move early anyway, but if the Big 12 $$ is higher that may not be the case.

No one is staying in the Big 12 for 4 more years if they agree with a new conference. They’re out ASAP. Plus with OU and UT certainly leaving before then, the Bug 12 payout is going to take a massive hit. No way Fox keeps paying the same amount. 

4 minutes ago, Red Five said:

We're not playing four more years in the Big 12. Good lord. 

Seriously, anyone who interprets those tweets as anything more than legal posturing should be relegated to TexAgs so they can be with similarly intelligent posters. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

Plus Texas wouldn't be hurting if they have to pay the penalty.  The money will come back to us within a year or two, plus some.  SEC knows the TV deal with Texas and OU is going to be astronomical. 

The fact that KU is allegedly already in meetings with the B1G and Tech has been talking to the Pac 12 means the problem will resolve itself without Texas having to hold the other 8 schools' hands and walk them across the street.  They want to stay big boys, they gotta find their new place to live on their own.  Daddy is going out for cigarettes and he ain't coming back. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 4

15 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I think ACC, Big10 all would take them again to "get in to Texas" but there is no added bonus in potentially getting Texas.  SEC played this perfectly and the NIL/Supreme Court finally got Texas to admit that none of this is about getting a degree anymore and the NCAA truly is toothless.

Someone said lets just get on with it and make sure we are in the room with the other godfathers and ESPN when the decisions get made.

Since this feels like the start of the move to a cfb league(s), the smartest thing the B1G could do is offer 6 or 7 Pac schools and aTm.   Not sure if the GOR would block, but would probably lead to the B1G and SEC raiding the best of the ACC.  Creating their only real chance to nab ND.  2 leagues that pull up the drawbridge at 48 teams max.

Because if they don't, there's a risk that the SEC now can lure Ohio State (remember their ChiComFlu battle with the B1G leadership?), the dam breaks, and the SEC+ becomes the sole CFB pro league with maybe just 30 or 32 teams. 

I think a neat 4x16 ending is pretty unlikely now.

Because of recruiting, aTm might loudly flirt but wouldn't normally jump to the B1G, but might if we are heading to just 2 leagues. 

Edited by clapclapclap

4 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Texas isn’t finding other conferences for certain remaining schools just for that purpose. If we want out of the GOR, we will find a way out. But that doesn’t mean we are trying to find other conferences for tgecrensjjjng schools. We aren’t doing their homework for them.

Not saying we are, but I'm fairly certain there has been sharing of behind the scenes info with a couple of Big 12 members we like to make sure we get 4 schools to move on next season. I'd think it's easily worth $160M or whatever the negotiated exit fee ends up being. I consider giving them a quiet heads up to get a head start on finding a new conference to be the equivalent of finding them a soft landing place. I'm not taking it literally.

The remaining Big 12 schools are cut off at the knees. Some of the schools will act like theyre getting completely buttfucked, when in reality their value is what it is and they didnt realize how lucky they were to be in a conference with Texas and OU. 

1 minute ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Wait, I was always told the SEC was overrated and only had highly ranked teams because of an ESPN conspiracy despite they won a shit ton of championships in a shit ton of sports. 

But now they cool?  Just checking to make sure I got the talking points correct. 

Time to stop fighting the will of The Mouse and start enjoying being overrated and given the benefit of the doubt because of three letters on the jersey.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Youve implied that in nearly every post with my quote.

If you don’t think Texas and OU wouldn’t make some calls to save 10s of $millions, minimize political backlash and avoid 4 lame duck seasons then you’re naive.  This  is as well planned as the D Day invasion and dissolution of the Big 12 is part of it. They are not going to leave it to chance. 

Edited by TonyTexas

1 minute ago, Eastwood said:

Time to stop fighting the will of The Mouse and start enjoying being overrated and given the benefit of the doubt because of three letters on the jersey.

So....

Texas for the last decade? 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

21 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

someone invite him to Surly! 

With Kansas leaving, into one more school has to hop out. It’s going to happen. The Big 12’s Grant of Rights Agreement is not going to be an impediment even if the other 8 schools stay. 

Actually, if I remember right from the last time this occurred, the conference needs 4 original members to retain its media deals.  So TCU/Baylor/KSU/ISU could stay, rebuild, soak in the money of 6 team's penalties/GOR donations, and then have a much smaller deal in 2025.

Just now, TonyTexas said:

If you don’t think Texas and OU wouldn’t make some calls to save 10s of $millions, minimize political backlash and avoid 4 lame duck seasons then you’re naive.  Then is as well planned as the D Day invasion. 

It's clearly happening on its own without us doing the work for them - see the Tech guy's tweets from yesterday.  Will all 8 of them be proactive? No, but enough of them are smart enough to not sit around with their dick in their hands.  KU and Tech are 2 that don't seem to be waiting around for someone (Texas/OU) to assist them in finding a new home. 

Just now, TonyTexas said:

If you don’t think Texas and OU wouldn’t make some calls to save 10s of $millions, minimize political backlash and avoid 4 lame duck seasons then you’re naive.  Then is as well planned as the D Day invasion. 

the good news is I can't see the Big10 not offering KU.  KU will accept.  that just leaves one more and I think one of OSU and Tech will take care of that.  OSU will have the Bedlam game as a carrot as well.

2 minutes ago, MrBig said:

The Disney/ESPN/SEC/LHN ties make this extremely possible. 

Does ESPN/Disney own Fox Sports after the Fox/Disney merger? 

No. Only the movie company and streaming services/pay channels like FX

The acquisition of 21st Century Fox by Disney was held from December 14, 2017 to March 20, 2019.[1] Among other key assets, the acquisition of 21st Century Fox by Disney included the 20th Century Fox film and television studios, U.S. cable/satellite channels such as FX, Fox Networks Group, a 73% stake in National Geographic Partners, Indian television broadcaster Star India, and a 30% stake in Hulu. Immediately preceding the acquisition, 21st Century Fox spun off the Fox Broadcasting Company, Fox Television Stations, Fox News Channel, Fox Business, FS1, FS2, Fox Deportes, and the Big Ten Network into the newly formed Fox Corporation.[2]. 

Edited by mdmost

2 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

If you don’t think Texas and OU wouldn’t make some calls to save 10s of $millions, minimize political backlash and avoid 4 lame duck seasons then you’re naive.  This  is as well planned as the D Day invasion. 

They aren’t making those calls bro. Stop it.

They let those schools know they themselves better find their own home quick because we aren’t coming back the minute they saw we weren’t on the B12 call last night.

KU is finding their own home. we didn’t help them. Tech chancellor has indicated they are doing their own thing. That’s not us helping them.

Thats just not how this works. If we want the GOR to end after this season, we will find a way and that doesn’t mean we have tell other conferences to please take our leftover schools just to safe UT money. Good Christ.

The idea that Texas would try to negotiate to have more power contractually in the SEC is so stupid it it could almost certainly only come from aggy. Texas is the most valuable name in college sports. Of course Texas is going to be more powerful within college athletics. Naturally.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Wait, I was always told the SEC was overrated and only had highly ranked teams because of an ESPN conspiracy despite they won a shit ton of championships in a shit ton of sports. 

But now they cool?  Just checking to make sure I got the talking points correct. 

Yes. Both of these statements are true.

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

They aren’t making those calls bro. Stop it.

They let those schools know they themselves better find their own home quick because we aren’t coming back the minute they saw we weren’t on the B12 call last night.

KU is finding their own home. we didn’t help them. Tech chancellor has indicated they are doing their own thing. That’s not us helping them.

Thats just not how this works. If we want the GOR to end after this season, we will find a way and that doesn’t mean we have tell other conferences to please take our leftover schools just to safe UT money. Good Christ.

Texas: But PLEASE, B1G/Pac/ACC, we really need you to take Tech/OSU/KU/WV.  I know it won't add major media markets to your footprint and will mean you have split the pie with more people who don't add significant extra revenue, BUT WE NEED YOU TO DO THIS.

7 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

Actually, if I remember right from the last time this occurred, the conference needs 4 original members to retain its media deals.  So TCU/Baylor/KSU/ISU could stay, rebuild, soak in the money of 6 team's penalties/GOR donations, and then have a much smaller deal in 2025.

They changed it from last time, where they had 4 or 6 listed of what is required to hold onto the Big 12 as a conference.

https://static.big12sports.com/custompages/pdfs/handbook/bylaws.pdf

Reading this again, the moment an intent to withdraw is submitted, all voting and revenue rights are negated.   So the percent needed comes from the remaining, not those who left.   Someone more legally feel free to read it up, but it seems like Baylor could keep the Big 12 to themselves, as long as they invited enough in to keep the conference going, and no one who left would get paid until after the current agreement ended.

That being said, I'm pretty sure the media partners have inventory clauses too and likely wouldn't pay as much, just like how they played less when games weren't played last year.