Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

41 minutes ago, mdmost said:

He really is just a fucking moron

UGA and UF play in Jacksonville, Florida for crying out loud.    aggy and Arkie have effectively ceded homefield to kiss Jerry's ring once a year.    WTH not Kirk?   

Generally I hate neutral site games unless there is some sort of long historical roots such as UGA/UF and Texas/OU.

Kirk needs to retire.....  Go home... Kirk... Just go away.

Edited by Nueces River Rat
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

If/when Texas/OU leave for SEC, 

BIG, ACC, and PAC aren’t going to wait 4 years in 2025 to see who gets the next pick. The picking is happening now. BIG and PAC are already talking to teams 

When 4 teams exit, Big 12 dissolves. It’s over 

This.  The remaining 8 teams ain't gonna sit around and pout. They'll make intelligent decisions in their own self-interest, and AT LEAST two of those decisions will be "GTFO and go somewhere else."  KU, Tech, and OSU surely have some options.  If 2 out of those three do something, it's all over.  And the rest of 'em.....they may not LIKE their options, but they have them as well.  Better get busy livin' (somewhere else), or get busy dyin'.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Eastwood said:

This is a classic example of why your average college football fan gets so bent out of shape about anything business related even glancing off of their beloved sport. In their little corner of the world it's all amateurism, school pride, honor, and tradition. I get it. You guys get it. We were all in that boat a decade ago. But you can't stop progress. The college football landscape, since the BCS era and maybe even before, has been money, school pride, money, and money. You can either wail, gnash your teeth, and wax poetic about years past or you can survey the landscape and realize that the times aren't just changing; they've changed. A&M thought they were brought into the SEC because of culture, tradition, and hard-nosed football. They had an inkling that money played a role, but failed to grasp the changing landscape around them.

It's well beyond reading the tea leaves, at this point. A&M was staring into their cup while a whole Starbucks was built around them.

This is very well said and 100% truth. And, if the people gnashing their teeth are truthful with themselves they know it's been this way for a while now. 

4 hours ago, Red Five said:

"Now that Texas is in the SEC, will they keep Bevo? Or change to like a dog or cat or something."

Writing Curt's next tweets so he doesn't have to. "SEC AD says that Bevo's domination of bulldog could be a problem. The rest of the SEC may not be thrilled at Texas being the lone wolf errr bull."

Edited by Chopper
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Brothahorn said:

So this shit is really happening?

Looks like it although the deals not done. The posturing is pretty telling and with some reports of this being in the works for months, in complete secret and only by the highest officials coming it looks like this thing has some serious legs

11 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I proposed something earlier, but 18 leaving out WVU for geography and BU for rape. If KU and ISU go BIG, it works out at 16.

(pic taken from another board)

pac16.png

that's a league worth getting excited about if you are Tech/oSu, etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

Saw some non-SEC fans whining about the SEC taking 'The Texas that killed off the SWC and now the B12.'  If we kill off the SEC, we'll be the hero of the rest of CFB.
Yet none of the people who say that can give reasons why that's true without some embellishment and outright aggy fabrication.

7 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Finebaum's circular logic is surprising even for him.

"Texas is irrelevant."

"The SEC can't afford not to take Texas. They can't let them go to the Big Ten." 

These two thoughts can't logically exist at the same time. 

saving face for the conference

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, MIkeHoncho said:

I can't wait to see how the aggy talking heads spin it that the "ag power brokers" finally got involved and were assured (probably through a gentlemen's agreement) that they would be at the big boy table from now on if they gave their precious vote to make it 14-0.  Probably got promised a brand new mini-fridge to store the jizz jar or something of that nature.  

Damn never thought of that

Have to throw in a microwave or something too, gotta warm it back up somehow

9 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

"Texas is irrelevant."

"The SEC can't afford not to take Texas. They can't let them go to the Big Ten." 

methods2.gif.5d042a7bce410f04dda1ffe6dd66505f.gif

I don't see any logic at all

10 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

"Texas is irrelevant."

finebaum and bohls.  what a pair of worthless olds.  we need new blood.  

6 minutes ago, Droopy said:

This is very well said and 100% truth. And, if the people gnashing their teeth are truthful with themselves they know it's been this way for a while now. 

it can be both and ... it is the way it is, players gonna get paid, it's an NFL-lite league coming next.  ok.  and it's also the case that student-athlete (student first) sports are awesome and it will be missed in football.  just a fact.  enjoy the premier league for sure, find a different outlet for true amateur athletics.  I've got my solution - SEC / Texas football for the one, SEC / Texas baseball for the other.

If the buyout is the only obstacle, well, no shit it's not an issue to joining the SEC next year. It's all Disney's money.

If this goes down, I wonder if they're planning to sub LHN with a 2nd SEC channel.

Edited by Chopper

1 hour ago, Queen Bitch said:

Speculative of course, but I truly cannot stop cackling at the possibility of locking aggy into a Big XII pod for the rest of their SEC days.

I had no idea so many schools had a dedicated baseball logo.  Seems stupid. Get 1 good logo and run with it. 

16 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

"Texas is irrelevant."

It's possible he mean Texas is irrelevant in football (not money/TV)

2 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Here's your money big12

Oh wait where do I send it, you don't fucking exist anymore without us dipshit fuckfaces fuck you

Well stick around long enough, you’ll receive wire instructions from fuckou@okstate.edu.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, troph said:

the cultural thing to me is more about out right racism.  fuck that noise completely.  I think for me the cultural fit is much, much better out west.  Pac 16 would be the tits in a vacuum of what college athletics *used to be* but unfortunately with NIL all bets are off and players will be paid and what was cheating will be legal so we really have no choice but to be the impetus of the beginning of a new league, one that is NFL-lite.  I'll miss college athletics I really will.  I may even adopt a team, not sure who.  Thankfully NIL probably won't change college baseball much so I'll just camp out there as my sport of choice.  It's been moving that way for years and years anyway.

ok cloak room pussy 

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm going to make some shit up...

CFB (and thereby, College Sports) are now marketing tools for professional student athletes.  There will be no more NCAA.  The entertainment and marketing value for the student players, the universities, and the media companies is a number we don't quite know, but we know it's multiples of today's rates.

The NFL has 32 teams and makes an absurd amount of money.  College Football, properly organized and monetized, will have more than 32 teams in it's "Power" league (or whatever it will be called) and a bunch of teams in the "Group" league, and everyone will make more money and enjoy more product.  

HBO has Hard Knocks.  Disney / Fox / Discovery / Netflix / Amazon / GoogleTube / ???? could (and should) put together shows for every "conference" and every sport, just like they put together all of these niche tv shows and movies... and instead of paying Bruce Willis or Will Smith, they can pay the student athletes via NIL.

College Football Production Company is coming. We're just kicking it off with a power move.  The money is going to make more money, because that's what money does.

Don't worry about TCU and Baylor.  They will be power players in a "Group" league.

Hell, I can imagine some type of Promotion and Relegation taking hold in American College Football with sub-leagues and conferences...  I think we're going to see things get disrupted and explode (positively).

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, mdmost said:

But not if you're Arizona and Arizona State, who were already not thrilled with the Pac 12. 

they are delusional then about their brand value.  outside of AZ basketball and AZ/ASU baseball they are shit.

26 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

lol wut. The PAC would not get an auto bid. It would be tOSU, Clemson, and two from the SEC every year, unless a PAC school went undefeated. 

In the 12 team layout, the top six conference champs get auto bids, the top four by ranking get the 4 byes.   So, as long as the Pac12 champ was one of the top 6 conference champions, they'd get an autobid...same as the AAC or withered Big 12 if they stay together.  

At larges are by ranking only.

Just now, Sgt Hulk said:

ok cloak room pussy 

not sure if that's a compliment or not?

this is the beginning of the end and the beginning of a new era in college football.  everyone knows it.  great. fun, awesome.  and it's a total arms race, like MLB with no salary caps.  haves will have, havenots will havenot.  great, fine, good.  just calling a spade a spade.

1 minute ago, Hurtlocker said:

In the 12 team layout, the top six conference champs get auto bids, the top four by ranking get the 4 byes.   So, as long as the Pac12 champ was one of the top 6 conference champions, they'd get an autobid...same as the AAC or withered Big 12 if they stay together.  

It was clearly not talking about the 12 team playoff because the Big12 going away wouldn’t change the PAC getting a bid. 

2 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

Not finalized in contract, and will be moot with recent moves. Our move kills autobids 

14 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Should be noted that's just the buyout to withdraw, the GOR is still in effect if the conference exists.   So it will be more expensive than $76m.  

According to the by laws to, the date of leaving is the first June 30th after 18 months from the moment of withdraw.   In that regard, everyone would still play in the Big 12 for two years, OU/Texas and anyone else who gives notice, just won't get paid until the buyout fee is gone, then any years remaining on the media deal would be held by the Big 12 until the GoR ended.

Edit:  Not taking into consideration legal negotiations, which will modify it, just saying this is how it is laid out in the bylaws.

https://static.big12sports.com/custompages/pdfs/handbook/bylaws.pdf

The way to do it for free is just say, "we're not re-upping" play for the rest of the contract, and sign somewhere else in 2025

Edited by Hurtlocker

1 minute ago, Hurtlocker said:

Should be noted that's just the buyout to withdraw, the GOR is still in effect if the conference exists.   So it will be more expensive than $76m.  

According to the by laws to, the date of leaving is the first June 30th after 18 months from the moment of withdraw.   In that regard, everyone would still play in the Big 12 for two years, OU/Texas and anyone else who gives notice, just won't get paid until the buyout fee is gone, then any years remaining on the media deal would be held by the Big 12 until the GoR ended.

That will all get settled and negotiated.  We ain't hanging around that long.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

It’s also got 10,000 students and no TVs. They can’t fill up their own games. They bring nothing to the table. 

Those are reasons for passing.  And I'm not defending TCU.  But when they're shopping for a conference I don't think they'll have the strong religious association like Baylor that will turn anyone off.