Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

11 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

looch: "you wouldn't see this same type treatment to a conference blue blood"

finebaum:  "hold on here, explain how you think they were mistreated"

looch: 10 minutes of "we were ambushed and they didn't tell us"

finebaum: "it's hard for me to believe that greg sankey would have gone this far down the road without talking to sharp, i have been told that the presidents were told that they couldn't tell the ADs, everyone there on wednesday is convinced that it's hard to believe the timing of the zwereneman story breaking while he (finebaum) was standing 3 feet from bjork the prevailing wind is that this was a leak from sharp or someone near him and this circumstances are hard to believe that all this happened spontaneously at 340pm on wednesday afternoon"

looch: "we took down a post on texags tuesday night talking about the move" (what that has to do with anything no clue)

looch: more rambling about respect on the field

looch: "the time to bring this out was weeks ago and months ago"

finebaum: "people in birmingham are not happy about the leak/story happening in the middle of their wonderful event; someone was trying to get this story out, i can guarantee you that"

+++++

powers that be are not happy with aggy

Aggy losing Finebaum:

The Vietnam War Mr. Johnson US History. - ppt download

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

Lulz. Let’s pin this to the top. I love to embarrass that guy

Good luck with that. Literally all of this commotion is stemming from 2nd rate reporters & online rumors. There’s nothing official at all or even any rumblings of anything official. There’s no way TX & OU move conferences, they’re anchored with the big 12, like it or not. Plus, the SEC already has a Texas footprint and stands to gain absolutely nothing by adding 2 schools. Pin this shit when the season ends and still no announcement has been made. I already knew houston had dumb sports fans, but jesus. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck You 11

18 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

Liucci has twice reminded Finebaum that A&M is led by a national championship winning coach. Looks like aggie is claiming FSU's title. 

So, if FSU ever joins the SEC, does aggy get to claim two titles? I'm not sure what the rules of insecure boasting logic are.

Edited by TotallyLegit

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

Good luck with that. Literally all of this commotion is stemming from 2nd rate reporters & online rumors. There’s nothing official at all or even any rumblings of anything official. There’s no way TX & OU move conferences, they’re anchored with the big 12, like it or not. Plus, the SEC already has a Texas footprint and stands to gain absolutely nothing by adding 2 schools. Pin this shit when the season ends and still no announcement has been made. I already knew houston had dumb sports fans, but jesus. 

tenor.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

4 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Good luck.

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Do you even read? This was done above their head. They may have been aware of but they weren’t involved in the process. 

It was more like a “hey this is what we’re doing” and CDC was like “gotcha.”

You’re like our counter to chip brown
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

they weren't involved until the first AD to show up at the event in 11 years was perfectly positioned to hold an impromptu press conference at the precise moment before boomhauer's presser which was the exact moment zwerernernerman's story broke.

nope.  not involved at all.

In their defense, "AD" is their code word for aggy dumbasses. So you're both right.

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

tenor.gif

No point in mucking up the thread so I’ll just leave it at that. Not like we’ll have an answer one way or the other until at the earliest after the season ends anyway. I’ve made my stance known. I will revel in seeing all these people that think I’m stupid get proven wrong though. 

• Fuck You 9

8 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I'm willing to put some money on it.

3 hours ago, Texas Flood said:

Tuesday is the big day

Tuesday afternoon
I'm just beginning to see
Now I'm on my way
It doesn't matter to me
Chasing the clouds away
Something calls to me
The trees are drawing me near
I've got to find out why
Those gentle voices I hear
Explain it all with a sigh.
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Helobious said:

This reads like aggy fan fic.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

No point in mucking up the thread so I’ll just leave it at that. Not like we’ll have an answer one way or the other until at the earliest after the season ends anyway. I’ve made my stance known. I will revel in seeing all these people that think I’m stupid get proven wrong though. 

Weak. On this site you've got to promise to fist yourself live on the Internet if you want anyone to take you seriously. Shit, now that's already been done, nothing less than double-fisting yourself live on the Internet will do. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Helobious said:

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Helobious said:

helobious = futureman 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Do you even read? This was done above their head. They may have been aware of but they weren’t involved in the process. 

At the very least this was at the ESPN level. I dont think our admins had to even be that involved. Major modern college athletic negotiations/decisions have outgrown an AD's job description. ESPN has been an active resource since Deloss worked with them on a network to begin with. Disney runs the numbers and says this is what makes sense. We were all too happy to partner with them, and that partnership has led us to the SEC. 

5 minutes ago, Helobious said:

You'll know next week.

6 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I too think you're stupid.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

The whole thing is hilarious.  The SEC benefits tremendously by adding three additional legendary rivalries to what they had -- UA/AU and UGA/UF.  The historical significance of UT/OU, UT/A&M and UT/Ark can't be overstated.  I doubt all 3 would happen every year, but UT/OU surely will.  It's a huge boost for the conference, but Aggies are twisted up in their pathological little brother mindset.  They can't help it.

This.

When has conference realignment ever REINSTATED 2 historic rivalries?!

I hate a huge swath of SEC fans and the ESPN felating of the conference just as much as anyone, but we get to play all our traditional rivals every year again.

AND we are going to get Uber-bank doing it!

That's a good thing.

• Hook 'Em 3

A week before this broke, I found myself in that rather rare circumstance in Alabama-- face to face with an actual Aggy in Aggy gear. He said Aggy things. My role at this event where we both were was to be bland, polite, and adult. In other words, not myself. I managed to do so.

Were I to meet this Aggy today, I fear that I would be more myself.

• Hook 'Em 4

Peeking around at other conferences:

Ohio State Football: Which schools should Big Ten pursue for expansion?

The Ohio State football team may have to deal with some new members in the Big Ten soon. If so, who should the conference take a look at for expansion?

It looks like we’re heading for another seismic shift in college football. Next week, Oklahoma and Texas are reportedly going to inform the Big XII they are will to apply to join the SEC. Moves like this usually trigger a domino effect. If those two schools do leave the Big XII, I fully expect the Big Ten to pursue expansion. The question is, who will they invite to join?

Let’s get this out of the way right now: Notre Dame is off the table. They are firmly and happily entrenched in the ACC because that conference will allow them to remain independent in football. The Irish don’t care if they are in the middle of Big Ten country.

They care about keeping all of the money for themselves. They have their own tv contract and don’t have to share any money brought in from playoff appearances and bowl games. That won’t happen if they join the Big Ten. Notre Dame is not a consideration here.

So, who are some schools the Big Ten should look at? One suggestion I saw was TCU. This would allow the conference to have a presence in the large Dallas TV market. But, I think there is another that makes much more sense from a geographic and rivalry standpoint.

In my opinion, Iowa State is a perfect fit for the Big Ten. They sit squarely in the middle of the conference’s West division and they already have a standing rivalry with Iowa. They could easily develop one with Minnesota, Wisconsin, and rekindle pleasantries with former Big XII member Nebraska.

The Cyclones also have a head coach similar to Ryan Day. Matt Campbell is a young, up-and-coming coach who has built a quality program in a place I thought I’d never see. With a twelve-team playoff coming, Iowa State would give the Big Ten a legitimate yearly contender.

If you add a team more suited to the West, it makes sense to add one suited to the East. There is only one team in the Big XII that fits that description: WVU. Yes, I know they’re not exactly glamorous, but, like Iowa State, they make sense again from a geographic and rivalry standpoint.

Penn State and Maryland are longtime rivals of the Mountaineers. Wouldn’t it be much better for the conference to have Penn State end their season with WVU rather than Michigan State? Rutgers and the Mountaineers met for thirty consecutive years when both were either independents or members of the Big East.

Anyone who lives along the Ohio River between Ohio and West Virginia will tell you of the rivalry between the two states. An Ohio State football-WVU yearly meeting would generate a huge amount of interest and give each a rival within easy driving distance.

The two schools are only about 3 ½ hours apart (although Morgantown is the worst college town in the country to get into or out of on game day). WVU may not be a stylish choice, but they make a lot of sense.

In the end, we all know how this will play out if the Big Ten decides on expansion. The bean counters will count up the projected amount of beans the conference can make off of each school being considered and the powers-that-be will go with whoever they think can make them the most money. Geography, rivalries, and what can create the most fun and interest for fans won’t matter.

Money will be the deciding factor as it is in all decisions concerning collegiate athletics. As I said, if the SEC expands by taking in Oklahoma and Texas, I don’t think there is any question the Big Ten will look to add teams as well.

• Hook 'Em 1