Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

Just now, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Everyone knows that won't happen. The academic side will be cordial and professional to the SEC, but go about business as usual. Similar to my comment as a fan & alum that I'm viewing us as independents who just happen to play the same teams year after year.

At least they’ll have one equal in Vandy as opposed to whoever the fuck would be number two right now.  

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, midtown said:

This is so freaking stupid.   Yes some SEC schools aren't exactly top 50 but to suggest that there isn't excellent research going on many SEC schools is just freaking dumb.    And who says you are required to collaborate with your athletic conference colleagues at all?

yeah, someone needs to tell ole randolph that the big 12 isn't full of academic savants either.

• Hook 'Em 2

Meh, it’s like one big toxic family. We beat the crap out of each other but have each other’s backs against the crappy next door neighbor when it comes to blows.
May have been that way to some degree in the Big12, but not in the SEC..fuck no
  • Hook 'Em 1

finebaum: let's talk about the dynamics of the ut-aggy relationship, this is not how you normally begin to welcome a new neighbor to a conference, how did that play in austin

kurt bowels: aggy going through pain anger and acrimony mad at sec, you've been around texas long enough to know drama never takes a day off in austin, they're looking down on each other, that's what makes it a great rivalry, i've been advocating for them playing again

finebaum: give us the roadmap, what does next week look like

bowels: armageddon; i first heard about it last friday, i talked to 0u, they were in complete denial, talked to UT President, refused to talk, everybody's scrambling, and i think that's why it sped up so much, they did a great job of keeping it secret for so long, will be surprised if it's not done by next friday, and will be surprised if it's more than 2-3 years for the move will think it happens sooner

finebaum: how long does it take, lame-duck recruiting sucks, lots of money money money

bowels: this is going to print money to make up for money when the LHN goes away, looked down at sec academics, but UT finally figured out it's about more than academics

finebaum: there's a lot of departures from the big12 as a result of UT, corn, aggy, missouri, etc., the lhn made everyone mad, how does UT get along with everyone now when the SEC is run by Bama

bowels: not going to run the sec, but aggy felt like they were blindsided,

finebaum: what makes texas think they are going to be able to compete in this league as they have done so poorly in the big12

bowels: exceedingly average since 2009, UT not under any illusion that we are going to be anything other than a whole lot worse

45 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

I looked up the alma maters of EVERYONE in the TxLege, and this is the breakdown by everyone affected by this:

38 angry members (aggy/ksu/tcu/ku/bu/tech)

43 Texas members

The rest 100 of 181 members DON'T CARE!

YOU LOSE!

As a practical matter, the House Speaker (Dade Phelan) is a Texas alumnus, and in the TxLege he "sets the legislative calendar," which means if he doesn't want a bill to come to a vote in the Texas House, then it doesn't happen. 

So this legislative wrangling is MOOT because: 
House Speaker Phelan (it'll never come to the House floor for a vote) and,
Governor Abbott - also a Texas alumnus (can veto it, if needed).

It's just their-hopeless and hapless yelling, screaming, and gnashing of teeth at this point.

Maybe the B12 schools should have treated us better in the past, and they wouldn't be roadkill now.
It makes it so much easier to leave when you know those you're leaving behind hated you before you even announced that you were leaving.
Karma is a bitch, isn't it?

Edited by BachelorTrek
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Faculty in higher ed don’t really “collaborate.”  If they are looking for someone to help them write a journal article, they really don’t care what university they teach at rather they care about their research background and what they’ve published.  

Moreover, more and more “quality” faculty are heading to southern universities because of weather and the draw those universities are making in trying to lure top faculty so they can change their academic perception.  That’s how you go from non-AAU to an AAU university.  I’ve known several profs at AAU institutions in the Big 10 who transitioned to SEC schools for this reason.  

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

after bowels goes off, finebaum fires up the aggy cannon apropo of nothing:

finebaum: it is my opinion that the commissioner of the SEC sankey did not blind side aggy and i find it to be virtually impossible to believe that sharp was not in the loop, the breaking of the story ruined the media days fiesta for all the other teams in the league.  i will put my reputation deep on the line to say that sankey did not consult the presidents of all the schools.

+++++++++

welp, it looks like cold showers on the road for aggy for awhile.  i bet the ogre can teach them about how to cramp up as a result of the showers.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

I said if the move happened, the academic side would have an issue. 

The move to the SEC is (would be?) a horrible cultural fit on many levels. [b]To believe the UT faculty will collaborate with “colleagues” from redneck, land grant farm schools is a bit laughable. [/b]

To think UT alumni will ever pledge loyalty and fealty to the S!E!C! is equally laughable. We aren’t “family” with them. We’re Texas. 

That's basically the Big 12.

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

So they're doing a lot of "collaborating" with scholars from . . . K-State, Okie State, OU, TTech, KU, and WVU, not to mention TCU and Baylor?

Despite the fact that these kinds of "collaborations" are not a thing defined by conference boundaries, if you don't think Vandy, UF, UGA and even A&M are upgrades you haven't been paying attention.

Time will tell. 

And I never insinuated conference affiliation was the predominate driver of academic cooperation.

But it is a fact the “Old South” schools have long had an insular culture regarding both academics and athletics for reasons that predate the Civil War. The culture of the Old South schools differs from schools such as Univ of No. Carolina and UVa.

UT is culturally distinct from the Old South schools. I would not be surprised if the collective UT faculty doesn’t embrace the insular culture of the S!E!C! schools. 

We’re not family. We never will be. They are who they are and we’re Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hagbard Celine said:

finebaum: it is my opinion that the commissioner of the SEC sankey did not blind side aggy and i find it to be virtually impossible to believe that sharp was not in the loop, the breaking of the story ruined the media days fiesta for all the other teams in the league.  i will put my reputation deep on the line to say that sankey did not consult the presidents of all the schools.

+++++++++

welp, it looks like cold showers on the road for aggy for awhile.  i bet the ogre can teach them about how to cramp up as a result of the showers.

You mean "lack of air-conditioning"

1 minute ago, Vito Andolini said:

I’ve personally got nothing against RD, he’s clearly a passionate individual about certain (one) subject(s). But do you guys really want to engage him? He can write volumes/two day head start/dozen languages/blend in etc. before you can even respond. 

Hes a fucking moron. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Randolph Duke said:

UT is culturally distinct from the Old South schools. I would not be surprised if the collective UT faculty doesn’t embrace the insular culture of the S!E!C! schools. 

Mizzou is culturally distinct from the Old South schools.  So is A&M.  If you're going to point to UNC or UVa, then Vandy is equally distinct.

It's just a non-starter.  Sports are not academics, and too many Texas fans (including myself) have spent too much time trying to square that circle.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

I said if the move happened, the academic side would have an issue. 

The move to the SEC is (would be?) a horrible cultural fit on many levels. To believe the UT faculty will collaborate with “colleagues” from redneck, land grant farm schools is a bit laughable. 

To think UT alumni will ever pledge loyalty and fealty to the S!E!C! is equally laughable. We aren’t “family” with them. We’re Texas. 

11.gif.c163e93b0aa025cf021dd4e088cc40e6.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

I’ve personally got nothing against RD, he’s clearly a passionate individual about certain (one) subject(s). But do you guys really want to engage him? He can write volumes/two day head start/dozen languages/blend in etc. before you can even respond. 

He’s a fucking idiot of the highest order

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

Time will tell. 

And I never insinuated conference affiliation was the predominate driver of academic cooperation.

But it is a fact the “Old South” schools have long had an insular culture regarding both academics and athletics for reasons that predate the Civil War. The culture of the Old South schools differs from schools such as Univ of No. Carolina and UVa.

You don’t get out much.

44 minutes ago, Helobious said:

In what world would they not have the votes? They’ve already got 30 out of 83 R’s on board, no reason that won’t climb to 60 or 70 on that side alone. Add in just 10-15 dems and that’s well over half of the 150 total.

Discovery Shut Up GIF by Shark Week

take the fucking L and move on…oh nvm forgot you’re a Yankees fan

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

Good thing the faculty won’t have have to be a part of SEC culture unless they choose to go to sporting events….   If they even have academic bowls still, well then Texas finishes close to the top.   Not really getting how faculty is affected by what athletic conference you are in?  They aren’t going to pull a aggie and accept everyone suddenly to make more money.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Since he has protected his tweets and for some reason I can still see them, I figured the OGs in this thread would enjoy the return of our favorite doesn't know shit about anything but acts like he's an insider guy from Appalachia. The one, the only...MHVer3

Hver3  @MHver3

14m

I have awakened from my slumber to bring you what I have gleaned from my sources inside WVU. Not much is being said at this time but I can confirm that Gee and Lyons have reached out to both the B10 and the ACC.

Hver3  @MHver3

13m

Ok state and WVU reached out together to the ACC and there appears to be interest there on their end.

Hver3  @MHver3

12m

B10 pretty much shut us down and the feeling here is that ISU and KU are the targets they would desire from our group (assuming they don’t attempt an ACC poach of UNC and UVA).

MHver3  @MHver3

10m

It does seem like little cliques are forming with the remaining 8 trying to abandon ship. The sad thing for most is that the Pac isn’t interested in expansion. At least that is what is being said now.

Hver3  @MHver3

7m

There is a very real chance that none of the 8 find a home and must back fill with others. The consensus amongst at least 4-5 of the ADs and Presidents seems to that adding 4 gives them the best chance to retain at least a good chunk of their current tv value

MHver3  @MHver3

5m

Of course some are saying that this is the first step in a total breakaway from the NCAA for at least the SEC and B1G

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

finebaum: it is my opinion that the commissioner of the SEC sankey did not blind side aggy and i find it to be virtually impossible to believe that sharp was not in the loop, the breaking of the story ruined the media days fiesta for all the other teams in the league.  i will put my reputation deep on the line to say that sankey did not consult the presidents of all the schools.[/b]
+++++++++

I think this sentence is either missing a “negative” or ha a misplaced one…

1 minute ago, Moby Ric said:

If Tech is involved in that, one can assume their interview with the PAC did not go as planned.  Time to panic.

Not really. Texas/OU will be the first dominoes to fall. Until the SEC accepts them, no Power 4 conference will extend invites to the remaining 8.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1