Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

Just now, Yuk said:

Not really. Texas/OU will be the first dominoes to fall. Until the SEC accepts them, no Power 4 conference will extend invites to the remaining 8.

Possibly.  Another poster said somewhere else that Tech was expecting a PAC invite today.  I was assuming that if Tech and OSU and anyone else, not baylor, went ahead and announced their departure it would allow Texas and ou to leave without any financial penalty, or having to wait until 2025.

33 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

I said if the move happened, the academic side would have an issue. 

The move to the SEC is (would be?) a horrible cultural fit on many levels. To believe the UT faculty will collaborate with “colleagues” from redneck, land grant farm schools is a bit laughable. 

What beacons of academia in the Big 12 are they currently collaborating with. The SEC has several schools more highly regarded than any in the Big 12 besides Texas

• Hook 'Em 1

UT/OU/SEC have been working on this for months. The bombed got dropped Wednesday. I do think most of the schools from the Big 12 will get invites (maybe some more than one)...but shit it has been like two days. The other conferences are no doubt getting calls. Thinking stuff through.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, TonyTexas said:

What beacons of academia in the Big 12 are they currently collaborating with. The SEC has several schools more highly regarded than any in the Big 12 besides Texas

Don’t. He’s a completely uninformed moron posting from a public library near his halfway house. The way we treat the mentally ill in this country is tragic. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Moby Ric said:

Possibly.  Another poster said somewhere else that Tech was expecting a PAC invite today.  I was assuming that if Tech and OSU and anyone else, not baylor, went ahead and announced their departure it would allow Texas and ou to leave without any financial penalty, or having to wait until 2025.

1. I think the legislator from Lubbock is just doing that to make it look like he tried to fight for Tech & Lubbock.  I personally wish he would not do that because at this point it's a done deal and Tech needs to focus on making itself an attractive candidate to the PAC-12.

2. Like Yuk said, there is no way the Pac 12 or Tech would do anything publicly until after the UT/OU move to the SEC is official.  

• Hook 'Em 1

full-on revisionist history on finebaum:

jordan from collieville: we left because we don't want to play them anymore!   we left because they pushed us out because of their greed! (foaming at the mouth breathing heavy)

jonathan in atlanta, bama grad from the late 90s!!!, works in artificial intelligence: UT has destroyed 3 conferences!  they destoyed the SWC and the big12!, no mention of who the 3rd conference is we destroyed, all about us, greed, we steamroll everyone, he's in AI and Analytics and past actions predict future results and Texas is going to destroy this league!

Just now, Uncle Nate said:

1. I think the legislator from Lubbock is just doing that to make it look like he tried to fight for Tech & Lubbock.  I personally wish he would not do that because at this point it's a done deal and Tech needs to focus on making itself an attractive candidate to the PAC-12.

2. Like Yuk said, there is no way the Pac 12 or Tech would do anything publicly until after the UT/OU move to the SEC is official.  

I am sure it is just political grandstanding.  There are far more important things that need to be addressed than this inevitable change.

Met with his "staff"....

While my knowledge of Texas Legislature rules is not comprehensive, I believe they can’t file shit in a special session unless Abbot puts it on the session call agenda prior to starting the session. So regardless of anything else, they can’t file it in the current session, and Abbott can shut this down in any subsequent special session until the 2023 regular Legislature.

13 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I just don't understand this idea that UNC and UVa would go to the Fat10. It doesn't make any sense.

B1G $ >>>> ACC $.

Could happen.... but probably not. ACC would get Notre Dame to join before letting that happen.

ACC commish negotiating w/ ND pictured below:

2367d0f7-d43f-4d2a-a4ca-0d4b2a011132_tex

6 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

A better take than what the Big8 used to be..... "BlowU and the 7 dwarves"

Well, except for the fact that Nebraska won nearly as many Big 6/8 and national football titles as OU, sure.  I do think the Sooners had the edge, though.

I don't get the regional spread, but at least 3 of those schools are Big 10-ish in nature, and then Phil Knight.

EDIT:  it would be interesting to see what infighting might go down if Cal stayed in the Pac but UCLA bolted.

Edited by jimmyjazz

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

If this were to happen, does the ACC just fold shop and split itself amongst the SEC and Big Ten? 

No. They still have Clemson and Notre Dame. 

The Pac 12 imploding wasn't something I saw happening. 

Edited by mdmost

Like I said...

6 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

Since this feels like the start of the move to a cfb league(s), the smartest thing the B1G could do is offer 6 or 7 Pac schools and aTm.   Not sure if the GOR would block, but would probably lead to the B1G and SEC raiding the best of the ACC.  Creating their only real chance to nab ND.  2 leagues that pull up the drawbridge at 48 teams max.

Because if they don't, there's a risk that the SEC now can lure Ohio State (remember their ChiComFlu battle with the B1G leadership?), the dam breaks, and the SEC+ becomes the sole CFB pro league with maybe just 30 or 32 teams. 

I think a neat 4x16 ending is pretty unlikely now.

Because of recruiting, aTm might loudly flirt but wouldn't normally jump to the B1G, but might if we are heading to just 2 leagues. 

Edited by clapclapclap

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Joe C was involved in the process.  Please.

Joe C was 100% involved.  Not sure on the UT side.  Two things:

1.  Football/sports mean a lot more to OU.  They don’t have UT’s academic clout (obviously).  
2. Joe C has really proven himself at OU and many consider him one of the best, if not the best, AD in college sports today.  CDC may end up with that reputation but he’s not there yet.  

• Rage+1 1

Just now, maninblack said:

Is that Yankee fuck @Helobious arguing this won't happen? Is he the @futureman of the realignment thread?

Futureman turned out to be right, so yes. I don’t see this move happening, the other Big 12 would never allow it as it would be the end of them, it doesn’t make sense for the SEC, and there’s political hurdles to clear as well. 

5 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

WTF?

?

East: Maryland, Rutgers, Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana, Purdue, Northwestern

West: USC, UCLA, Oregon, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois

It definitely makes the West look a lot more salty.

22 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

, bama grad from the late 90s!!!, works in artificial intelligence: UT has destroyed 3 conferences!  they destoyed the SWC and the big12!, no mention of who the 3rd conference is we destroyed, all about us, greed, we steamroll everyone, he's in AI and Analytics and past actions predict future results and Texas is going to destroy this league!

He's actually right.  This is all part of Texas' long game.  We hate the SEC, and we're joining it, solely to destroy it.  He's 100% correct but let's hope everyone else is too stupid to catch on that this moron actually got one right...

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1