Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

I could see:
Pod 1: Tx Ou Mizz Ark
pod 2: aggy, Lsu  ole miss  miss st
pod 3: Aub, Bama, Tenn, Vandy
pod 4: dawgs, Fla, SC, Kentucky

This is what sec network had.

Let aggy continue to be lsu’s problem and only play them occasionally.

9 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I can’t believe that it took me by surprise, but the aggy combination of impotent rage, lack of self awareness, and complete inability to read the room actually shocked me.  Must be a decade out of practice. 

They other schools’ reps and legs are just pandering for votes and scrambling for what benefits them.  Not surprising that they’ll work any angle - they’re desperate. 

But aggy is actually going to make money, gets a high chair at the adults table, and yet they feel betrayed and a minority (however sizeable) is willing to torpedo their football future over it by walking away.  

Just jaw-dropping in its childishness and stupidity. 

aggy truly is the gift that keeps on giving. They are a fascinating culture. 

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, fellside said:

I think the most likely pods for competitive balance are....
West:  Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Arkansas
Central:  Texas A&M, LSU, Ole Miss, Mississippi State
North:  Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Vanderbilt
East:  Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Kentucky

Assuming each school plays their own pod plus a home/home with 2 schools from each pod, the schedule every four years would look something like this.  If they help A&M out by not putting them in the same pod with us, make Arkansas the Thanksgiving game.

1:  Noncon
2:  Noncon

3:  Missouri
4:  Ole Miss
5:  Oklahoma
6:  Tennessee
7:  Florida
8:  Noncon
9:  LSU
10: Auburn
11: South Carolina
12: Arkansas

1:  Noncon
2:  Noncon

3:  Missouri
4:  Mississippi State
5: Oklahoma
6:  Vanderbilt
7:  Georgia
8:  Noncon
9:  Texas A&M
10: Alabama
11:  Kentucky
12:  Arkansas

that pod grouping isn't bad but LSU would jump all over that.  I'd swap LSU and Oklahoma and we'd still play OU every year.

I think the best way to do it from a competitive standpoint is the 8 team divisions

24 minutes ago, Bevo Num1 said:

Reading secrant, I can understand the aggy hate, but what the fuck did we do to Mizzou? They are being extra whiny cunts about this and were the ones who started this shit a decade ago.

I don’t remember specifics but I have friends that are big Mizzou fans. This shit goes back to DeLoss and Mack. Somehow they really disrespected them. 

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Muy Frio said:

I don’t remember specifics but I have friends that are big Mizzou fans. This shit goes back to DeLoss and Mack. Somehow they really disrespected them. 

wasn't it the turf deal where their shitty turf was causing all kinds of knee injuries?

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

This is my biggest worry.

CFB has been ruined for a while now lol there are only three teams every year with a realistic shot to win it all. If anything this is a step towards leveling the playing field. A fully aligned Texas with the SEC brand can truly be something special.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

In case anyone wants a little ammo to fight the perception that the Big 12 is a lesser conference than the SEC, here are Jeff Sagarin's 2020 conference ratings for the Power 5.  Note that Sagarin no longer calculates the politically correct BS forced upon him by the NCAA in the BCS era, when computer rankings were not allowed to consider margin of victory.  In the playoff era, he considers margin of victory, as the NCAA doesn't use computer rankings to seed the playoffs.

The top 3 are essentially a dead heat, with the SEC! SEC! SEC! coming in third.  Lulz.

Jeff Sagarin 2020 conference rankings:

Big 10 = 77.52 (1)
Big 12 = 77.49 (2)
SEC = 77.25 (3)
ACC = 71.34 (4)
Pac 12 = 68.86 (5)

Also note that UT finished 10th and A&M finished 11th (again, essentially tied).  Double lulz.  You might ask how this might be -- against essentially identical schedules, A&M had one loss (by 28 points to 'bama), and a narrow (5 point) victory over pushover Vandy.  Texas had 3 losses by a total of 13 points.  That's the margin of victory coming into play.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 5

3 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Where’s my laughing gif…

Of course they think that.  Look Tom Herman fucking sucked and his pussy ass ways castrated our team, but the talent is there.  Even with that shitshow at the helm we went to OT with OU, lost an ISU game we should have won if he wasn't such a pussy, and watched butterfingers Ingraham fumble away a TCU victory after we had overcome what I will just for now call the most odd officiating since OSU 2015.  When we finally turned #5 loose (much too late) we ran off a couple heady wins (and would have had another but Kansas Covid). So yea we gotta see if Sark has it, no doubt....but I for one welcome their bravado and lack of paying attention to the details on how things played out on the field.  

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Of course they think that.  Look Tom Herman fucking sucked and his pussy ass ways castrated our team, but the talent is there.  Even with that shitshow at the helm we went to OT with OU, lost an ISU game we should have won if he wasn't such a pussy, and watched butterfingers Ingraham fumble away a TCU victory after we had overcome what I will just for now call the most odd officiating since OSU 2015.  When we finally turned #5 loose (much too late) we ran off a couple heady wins (and would have had another but Kansas Covid). So yea we gotta see if Sark has it, no doubt....but I for one welcome their bravado and lack of paying attention to the details on how things played out on the field.  

CD06CC6C-9B67-4DE6-82DA-47B5363820C4.jpeg

• Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, jTower said:

Why does LSU get the easy pod?

Because they are the one big dog that doesn’t have a natural pair with another big dog. 
Tx ou +2

Bama auburn +2

fla ga +2

lsu +3

the pluses are all pretty much interchangeable, and a couple of them make sense to stay together like the miss and tenn schools. The tenn pair makes sense with the bama pod.  Locality drives the rest. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

2 minutes ago, CPTX_Gator said:

Welcome to the SEC!  I’m a gator living in the ATX area and am excited to seeing UT and OU join.  Not only is this great for football but baseball, basketball as well as other sports.  It will be great to see some Gator games in Austin on occasion.

Also, I don’t quite understand the angst of the Aggie’s.  You’d think they’d be happy to have the rivalry be renewed.  Are they just afraid?  As Ric Flair said “If you want to be the man, you got to beat the man!”  For me personally I wouldn’t mind FSU or Miami in the SEC.  Anyways, hope this gets finalized and official soon.

Repped for quoting Ric Flair.  Hopefully we get some baseball games against yall in the next few years.  Also would love to visit the Swamp before 2030.  

11 hours ago, NoctambulantBrobdingnagian said:

You are an enormously naive dumb fuck if you think this has anything to do with (recent) records.

No I'm quite aware, it doesn't  matter how shitty the on field product is, that we the Texas fan base will still dump our wallets out for it.

That and the TV revenue alone.

Let's hope sark turns it around.

20 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I loved how he had to specify which century.  Most of us that aren't old as dirt would just go with '61...

and everyone always makes a mental note that @Armybrat has in order: translated from roman numerals, left off the designation BC, or randomly spouted out random facts about Lou Gehrig because dementia

10 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

Off-setting the negatives of the arrival of you insufferable bastards is the deal-sealing positive of your bringing great brisket and ribs to our tailgates.

And

8dc015d8a85dead43d3ab59ce4bc8353.jpg

that's 07 pom (they started in 03 & 04)....  our admission standards started strangling the talent supply chain in 05....

however, anything we bring is an upgrade over the milkmen

those girls (now WIMMENS) are now in the their mid-30s.  fucking unreal.

hollywood squares: pick out the 2 in that pic that go both ways and the 1 that is 100% on the other team

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

10 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

No I'm quite aware, it doesn't  matter how shitty the on field product is, that we the Texas fan base will still dump our wallets out for it.

That and the TV revenue alone.

Let's hope sark turns it around.

If history is any indication, Texas will get all of its shit together for a brief moment of glory and then go right back to counting money in mediocrity for another decade or two.

Rinse, repeat.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Apparently Vandy already had a school that could read much better than us and then another school that can read just about as well as us...

Then a couple stragglers that had kids who could probably also read.

US News & World Report College Rankings:

TOP 50 Colleges/Universities:

#14 (tie) Vanderbilt University -1-
#30 (tie) University of Florida -2-
#42 (tie) University of Texas at Austin -3-
#47 (tie) University of Georgia -4-

-1- Vanderbilt is tied @ #14 with:
*Brown University

-2- Florida is tied @ #30 with:
*New York University (NYU)
*Tufts University
*University of California at Santa Barbara

-3- Texas is tied @ #42 with:
*Boston University
*Brandeis University
*Case Western Reserve University
*University of Wisconsin at Madison

-4- Georgia is tied @ #47 with:
*University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

--------------------------------------------
TOP 51-100

#66 (tie) Texas A&M University -5-

-5- aggy is tied with:
*Fordham University
*George Washington University
*Loyola Marymount University
*Southern Methodist University

#97 (tie) Auburn University -6-

-6- Auburn is tied with:
*University of Arizona
*University of California at Merced
*University of California at Santa Cruz
*University of Delaware
*University of Utah

You look like a dunce every time you use USNWR rankings. Nobody takes those rankings seriously in terms of actual academic and research standing. All you have to do is read the methodology.

Just helping out. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

You look like a dunce every time you use USNWR rankings. Nobody takes those rankings seriously in terms of actual academic and research standing. All you have to do is read the methodology.

Just helping out. 

That being the case, is there any handy list we can look at that comes close to actual academic and research standing?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bevo Num1 said:

Reading secrant, I can understand the aggy hate, but what the fuck did we do to Mizzou? They are being extra whiny cunts about this and were the ones who started this shit a decade ago.

Don’t know, guess we forgot because who gives a shit. Good to know they’ll remember what our dick tastes like.

20F3E20A-0A78-4563-899D-20DEBEA2E19C.gif

Edited by Doc Reeves
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, David Dennison said:

That being the case, is there any handy list we can look at that comes close to actual academic and research standing?

Not really at that fine of a level. Times Higher Education world rankings are historically fairly decent as they rank on pure academic reputation with only a bit of industry income weighting. 

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/content/world-university-rankings

• Hook 'Em 3

Who is this douce   Is this part of the bargaining phase ?

42E0E747-39CF-41C3-A296-A336CB87DC78.thumb.png.2ded83bc04bb2de4eed70e4d9a6232ae.png
Very aggy to take pride in leading, but demand no one follow. Maybe check definition of leadership.
Very aggy to say you led something when you were the second to last to join something formed in 1930. Not even the first from your conference to join the SEC.
Very aggy to define themselves with us, even after a ten year head start on building some self confidence.

Any precedent for such an active and public campaign to deny someone entry into a conference?

1 hour ago, Bevo Num1 said:

They really don't want anyone to remember that they started it by lifting their skirt as soon as the Big Ten said they were interested in expansion. They are more invested in continuing the evil Texas narrative than anyone.