Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

54 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

dammit.

party over.

someone got to sharp and talked some sense in to him.

"It would be a terrible thing for it to get out just how much Hurricane Harvey relief money went into your football program, now wouldn't  it?"

53 minutes ago, DCLonghorn said:

Didn't we push for the Big 12 offices to be in Dallas instead of Kansas City? Wasn't that one of the first of many Cornhusker gripes?

The Big 8 took the four best schools from the SWC (which we still call a merger) and I recall we did push for HQ location, commissioner, CCG locations, and of course no partial qualifiers.

Yep.  And I agree with everything. We pushed for

3 hours ago, TexasGolf said:

Who is this douce   Is this part of the bargaining phase ?

42E0E747-39CF-41C3-A296-A336CB87DC78.png

Loser

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Brunette on the right grew up next door to us. I have a pic somewhere.

Me too. In my pants

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

I have posted here for a few years and generally like most of y’all.

But the attitude displayed in this post is exactly why some of us have the impression of UT fans that we do.

“We’re Texas”. Whatever. You’re one of 16 now.

Give it 5 years, once the novelty has worn off, and y’all will bitching about “THE SEC OFFICE IS IN BIRMINGHAM, PAULLLLLLL” and posting conspiracy theories about the Red Elephant Club.

Don’t judge us by our worst poster but I will say we are very different than most sec schools.  We are not old south 

SEC Bylaws:

*3.1.4 Termination of Membership. Membership may be terminated voluntarily by the resignation of a member or involuntarily at a meeting of the Chief Executive Officers. A vote of at least two-thirds of the members is required to terminate membership. Any motion to terminate membership shall specify the effective date of the proposed termination. [Clarified/Conformed 6/1/11]

So...Aggy is playing with fire here. 10 votes with a 14 team conference, or 11 with a 16 team conference, and they're out.  

5 minutes ago, Cornfusion said:

So...Nebraska REALLY DID have Oklahoma and Texas pegged correctly in 2010, right?  Ten years of faux outrage and butthurt by both institutions duly noted. 

That is all.

Pretty sure Texas was the one doing the pegging. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, UncleSonny said:

Actually A&M is totally embracing this move, the Monday meeting must just be to talk about how excited they are to show those sips what SEC footbawl is all about. 

I posted in the recruiting thread, but yeah, playing a murderers row of teams that went .500 or below last year and some firing its coach of Vandy, Tennessee, USCe, Auburn, Mississippi State, and Arky just scares you to death.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Cornfusion said:

So...Nebraska REALLY DID have Oklahoma and Texas pegged correctly in 2010, right?  Ten years of faux outrage and butthurt by both institutions duly noted. 

That is all.

We were only butthurt only because we lost our automatic W when you run oft

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Hmm an SEC fan not smart enough to pick up on a clear joke talking about what most people would expect…

There are plenty here that truly believe such things… it’s who you are. 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 40

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

I have posted here for a few years and generally like most of y’all.

But the attitude displayed in this post is exactly why some of us have the impression of UT fans that we do.

“We’re Texas”. Whatever. You’re one of 16 now.

Give it 5 years, once the novelty has worn off, and y’all will bitching about “THE SEC OFFICE IS IN BIRMINGHAM, PAULLLLLLL” and posting conspiracy theories about the Red Elephant Club.

But some of those 16 are more equal than the others... and we are not Texas A&M.

The narrative is already shifting, and fast. Now aggy is pretending they don’t care and are excited to play us. They say it will make their schedule easier.

Thank god to all of you screen-shotting their lunacy. Doing the lord’s work. This has been an aggy meltdown of epic fucking proportions. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

SEC HQ is smart, forward thinking, well run, formidable, and not a sock puppet for any single/pair of schools.

Flame bamachick all you want but "one of 14 (or more)" is a real thing and a part of the SEC culture, that is repeatedly spoken out loud in Birmingham and around the conference, and it's how the conference is structured, including financially. Everyone gets an even share, an even voice, and can leave whenever they want

We will not be moving the center of gravity for SEC as much as many of us think we might, or at all.

Nobody questions your clear blue blood history status, or the great value to the SEC by your joining. Unless stupid or Aggy. But your power and influence in your new conference will not be the same as in your former. It just won’t. And that is not intended as an insult.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

My only interaction with SEC folks is along 30A. They seem alright but I’ve never tried talking to any of them. 

I’ve never interacted with them either. But I’m here to tell you that the 30A SEC milf game is quite strong. At least in the Rosemary Beach area.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, DCLonghorn said:

I once overheard a blue-blood SEC president gently rib Slive about this exact point. Slive even more gently shot that right down. It was a sight to behold.

This little anecdote should serve as fair warning that our apparent new home is very different that our current and past homes. SEC HQ is smart, forward thinking, well run, formidable, and not a sock puppet for any single/pair of schools.

Flame bamachick all you want but "one of 14 (or more)" is a real thing and a part of the SEC culture, that is repeatedly spoken out loud in Birmingham and around the conference, and it's how the conference is structured, including financially. Everyone gets an even share, an even voice, and can leave whenever they want (paraphrase from a Slive quote back in the day). Sanke is the hand picked successor and was his deputy for years, so consistent leadership for decades. There is a reason that a regional conference that was one of many has become the best in the land aligned with the biggest broadcaster in the space.

Put another way, imagine what it takes to keep the current schools in the SEC in line, off each other's throats, out of the NCAA sights (better than in the past), and keep that money tree growing...it ain't with a soft commissioner doing the bidding of one or two.

Hopefully UT leadership will be smarter and more gracious than message board fans. They usually are. Which is why this move makes some sense.

As far as (probably jokes) about SEC HQ in Dallas. ATL made a real run at getting the SEC to move and made a whole hell of a lot of sense. HQ still in Birmingham.

We will not be moving the center of gravity for SEC as much as many of us think we might, or at all.

P.S. The post comes as close as I will ever get to the SEC chant. Despite the above, I find that kind of weird.
P.P.S. I have very small dated insight that makes the above read like I'm all for this move...even after days of this sinking in, it's still not my first or second choice. But if we do go to the SEC, it's a damn well run conference.

Excellent post. UT will move the center of gravity somewhat (which is likely what’s been discussed and negotiated for the last 6 months or longer) but nothing like when the Big 12 was formed and Nebraska threw it’s hissy fits because Texas was calling all the shots with the backing of the Texas and Oklahoma schools along with Colorado (7-5 votes unofficially). The rest of the Midwest schools were ok with all of it because more money but Nebraska was pissed about its loss of influence which is partly why they eventually left. 

That won’t be repeated this time. The SEC and the BIG have always been the two most stable conferences in our lifetimes so Texas can’t just walk in and start making whatever demands it wants and they know that. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Gatorubet said:

Nobody questions your clear blue blood history status, or the great value to the SEC by your joining. Unless stupid or Aggy. But your power and influence in your new conference will not be the same as in your former. It just won’t. And that is not intended as an insult.

We get that, but Texas will add a different type of influence than what the SEC has experienced from aggy.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

We don't care. We had to try to influence the Big 12 because the conference was and is run by morons. It will forever be a dead conference that could have been great with even decent leadership. 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, Gatorubet said:

We get it that the rules are different in the SEC and hopefully our administration will behave accordingly. But remember that Texas helped to found the Big 12 and carried the deadweights of aggy, Baylor, and Tech along for the ride. It's completely different now that Texas is joining a stable and well-established conference.

I think most of the posters here are tired of propping up the little sisters of the poor schools in the Big 12 and look forward to being in a conference where each school does a little better in terms of pulling its own weight.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, justhookit said:

TX and OU saved them twice. I love KU basketball but I doubt that is representative of their fans. Bye.

so ready to be away from this shit conference.

Agreed. I liked the Big 12 in the first incarnation but Nebraska got their panties in a wad and started this whole shit-show.

I'm tired of these fucking ankle-biter schools relying on big, bad Texas and Oklahoma to mostly provide a safe space for them and then be completely ungrateful bastards at the end of the day. I've asked this multiple times on multiple boards, when does Texas' obligation to sustain these little shit-ass athletic programs end? The nice thing about the SEC is that will not be an issue. They don't need us by any stretch of the imagination. They want us. We make them better but they don't need us for survival.

Edited by C-Man
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I’ve never interacted with them either. But I’m here to tell you that the 30A SEC milf game is quite strong. At least in the Rosemary Beach area.

Mark Cuban GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

The patron gif of the Sugar Baby thread finally has relevance in the realignment thread!

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

Most people here realize that, including the guy you just quoted. We ain’t aggy. For Texas it’s always been just business. For OU, it’s just business but conducted in the holiday inn conference room. For aggy, not so much. 

I've asked this multiple times on multiple boards, when does Texas' obligation to sustain these little shit-ass athletic programs end? The nice thing about the SEC is that will not be an issue. They don't need us by any stretch of the imagination. They want us. We make them better but they don't need us for survival.

I think this is exactly right.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Cornfusion said:

That is all.

You have much bigger things to worry about, like whether you’ll even have a football program in 20 years. 

26 minutes ago, DCLonghorn said:

Hopefully UT leadership will be smarter and more gracious than message board fans. They usually are. Which is why this move makes some sense.

obviously YOU understand that there is a mile difference between fans talking shit on a message board and the actual leaders that run universities, but that this even needs to be explained to other people is funny.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Find a single person on here besides RD who actually thinks the SEC office will move to Dallas or that we will control the SEC. the only people who say stupid shit like that are aggies. 

Exactly.

I don't care enough about the SEC to want to "control" it. I want us to get fucking paid and I don't care too much about any of the other teams. As long as our checks are fat I don't care if they love us or hate us

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

I think anyone with half a brain understands that. There are anonymous message board posters on a school fan website who may “say” things to the contrary, but I really think it’s a bit in response to how often they hear how “arrogant” they are

there may be a few individual who actually believe it, but these are probably people who have other people shop for them and fly private to Cannes or wherever the fuck, but I cant say for sure as I don’t really run in those circles

Edited by The Dude

I wouldn’t   doubt it if the SEC throws aggy a bone and allows them to host us the first time we play them.  Fortunately some of us still will have some PPE to spare.
Or punishes their stupidity by doing the opposite. SEC brass have all the power and zero reason to bow down to anything aggy requests.

6 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Every B12 school in Texas was a little brother, OSU was a little brother, KSU was a little brother, ISU was a little brother.  Little brothers are bitches and pains in the ass to work with that often have to be put in their place.  In the SEC there are not many little bros....save MSU, to a much smaller extent Auburn, and of course....aggy.  Every single school is the flagship public university of its state (and then Vanderbilt which doesn't begin to deserve the indignity of being in the same sentence with the likes of TCU/Baylor).  I'm thinking we make this work to the advantage of all and ourselves in smooth fashion.

Very well put. Other than Auburn and Mississippi State, every school in the SEC enjoyed the distinction of being their state’s flagship university when aggy joined. (Vanderbilt in no way worries about any comparisons with Tennessee.) While aggy came in as a little brother, the flagship university of Texas was not present as a conference partner, so it was able to reasonably keep its inferiority complex at bay for the past 10 years.

Now with Texas once again sitting at the same family dinner table, aggy’s little brotherhood will come shining through. Texas can work fine with the likes of Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Kentucky, etc., and doesn’t really have to do or say much for aggy to be insufferable for the entire conference. This is going to be fun to watch.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Find a single person on here besides RD who actually thinks the SEC office will move to Dallas or that we will control the SEC. the only people who say stupid shit like that are aggies. 

You guys attribute an amazing array of crap to me. 

There are currently five NCAA athletics conferences headquartered in Dallas. I don’t see why there can’t be six, but I really have no opinion on where the SEC conference offices should be. 

38 minutes ago, DCLonghorn said:

Flame bamachick all you want but "one of 14 (or more)" is a real thing and a part of the SEC culture, that is repeatedly spoken out loud in Birmingham and around the conference, and it's how the conference is structured, including financially. Everyone gets an even share, an even voice, and can leave whenever they want (paraphrase from a Slive quote back in the day).

And yet much of the negotiating for UT and OU to join the conference was done . . . behind A&M's back.  At a bare minimum, top brass at A&M was instructed to keep it at the board/president level.  Do you really think no other SEC athletic director knew what was going on?

31 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

So Bama will say Texas you can control west of the Mississippi?  Not sure I understand.  I’m joking by the way.  Or, am I?

• Haha 1