Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

6 minutes ago, troph said:

My family is up there except my mom. Arky hate is a beautiful thing. It really though had some magical moments. Tony Jones and Eric Metcalf miracle at Arky might be my favorite moment Texas football moment of all time outside of the USC and Michigan games. 

42-11 in 1981 might be the fav or our series that I witnessed live.  😜

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

They are about to revert to their rightful slot at #3.

You young 'uns just wait until this Arky thing gets going year after year. It's more of a pure hate than a "goddamn it my little brother is such a fucking pain in the ass" annoyance. Seriously, the hate level is right at or exceeding Gooner levels on their end and it will approach it on our end too after our first home and home. 

Yep, they used to call it Fayette-Nam, and for good reason.

• Hook 'Em 1

I would give some dude’s left and right nuts to restore Texas vs Arkansas, Texas vs. A&M and keep Texas versus OU. Those are Texas most hated rivals and how I want to watch Texas football on saturdays in the fall. 

As a college football fan who started watching in the late 1960s, I would love to see those rivalries restored. I miss playing those Auburn assholes every year. I might get that back as well.

2d2819e0597448b461fe8f01414bddb4.gif
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

You young 'uns just wait until this Arky thing gets going year after year. It's more of a pure hate than a "goddamn it my little brother is such a fucking pain in the ass" annoyance. Seriously, the hate level is right at or exceeding Gooner levels on their end and it will approach it on our end too after our first home and home. 

And Arkansas will improve with games in Texas to help recruiting. Don't forget, A&M usually just barely gets by the Hogs.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Credit to A&M for how quickly they realized they were making themselves look like idiots and also making an even bigger laughingstock of themselves. The good thing about being a fanbase full of sheep is that Liucci will tell them they were excited about Texas coming the whole time and they'll believe it and act like the last 48 hours never happened. 

When Jimbo was at FSU, Texags had a couple thousand posts bashing him as a rape enabler for Winston.  Those all disappeared like a fart in the wind when he was hired.  That website is Pravda

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

The big, smart, fancy, rich Ags in the BOR are gonna get together and decide what they should demand in exchange for their "Yes" vote, even though it's not needed and they have zero leverage. 

The SEC will grant some token gesture to A&M to help them save face, like ensuring the first UT A&M game is in College Station. And they will take those crumbs and parade them about the town and gloat as if they've really pulled one over. 

Then they'll lose that first game 28-10 and blame the refs because the Side Judge's niece goes to St Ed's, so he's clearly in the tsips' pockets.

Quintessential Aggy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Never seen Arkansas at DKR….. can’t wait to check this matchup off my list.  

My first home UT game was in 1980 my freshman year and we played Arkansas in the college TV kickoff classic (i think that’s what it was called—it was the first big televised game of the season). We beat Lou Holtz’s team. It was a great way to begin four years of generally excellent UT football.
  • Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Do not want.

And even if Texas accepted something like that and saved the B12 (again), it would end up being viewed as "those arrogant and unfair bastages in Austin screwed us all again."

It's a lose-lose, and an easy proposition to decline.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

When Jimbo was at FSU, Texags had a couple thousand posts bashing him as a rape enabler for Winston.  Those all disappeared like a fart in the wind when he was hired.  That website is Pravda

They train on changing direction.

spacer.png

4 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Do not want.

And even if Texas accepted something like that and saved the B12 (again), it would end up being viewed as "those arrogant and unfair bastages in Austin screwed us all again."

It's a lose-lose, and an easy proposition to decline.

That's the Big 12 brass throwing a hail mary, which will fall harmlessly incomplete. 

1 minute ago, RomaVicta said:

And Arkansas will improve with games in Texas to help recruiting. Don't forget, A&M usually just barely gets by the Hogs.

I think a rising Arkansas would be at the expense of aggy, OU and Mizzou...They used to get some good players out of St. Louis (Atwater) and Columbia (Gary Anderson, the Jheri curl RB). They also pull from Oklahoma some (McFadden and Felix Jones)....At least they don't full on raid Texas and Texas alone like OU, and it seems like it was only Dallas and the NE corner. (Fertile territory but if they were all we had to deal with OOS you could live with that easily.) 

To be fair, almost all fans are hypocrites when a coach comes in and wins for them. Buckeye Planet had Urban Meyer ID’d as the most dishonest shit in football as a Gator coach. He came to Columbus and owned Michigan and won a National Championship. Then, when ‘what did he know about domestic abuse of a coach’s wife!’ was at issue and his cell phone turned up wiped, he was declared an innocent victim of circumstances and all negative comments an SEC ESPN plot to smear them.

All fans do it. All programs do it. UF too. “Fans” derives from a longer word for a reason.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, Gatorubet said:

To be fair, almost all fans are hypocrites when a coach comes in and wins for them. Buckeye Planet had Urban Meyer ID’d as the most dishonest shit in football as a Gator coach. He came to Columbus and owned Michigan and won a National Championship. Then, when ‘what did he know about domestic abuse of a coach’s wife!’ was at issue and his cell phone turned up wiped, he was declared an innocent victim of circumstances and all negative comments an SEC ESPN plot to smear them.

All fans do it. All programs do it. UF too. “Fans” derives from a longer word for a reason.

Nah man. We've always thought the SEC is by far the best league in the country.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I think a rising Arkansas would be at the expense of aggy, OU and Mizzou...They used to get some good players out of St. Louis (Atwater) and Columbia (Gary Anderson, the Jheri curl RB). They also pull from Oklahoma some (McFadden and Felix Jones)....At least they don't full on raid Texas and Texas alone like OU, and it seems like it was only Dallas and the NE corner. (Fertile territory but if they were all we had to deal with OOS you could live with that easily.) 

We know we won't get kids you want.  We know, unless it is a rare exception, we won't get kids OU wants.  But now, with both of you in our conference and raised visibility in your state, kids still good enough to add real value we have better chances to get over TT, Baylor, TCU, etc. if they don't have the same conference appeal and especially if they wind up in AAC or MWC type leagues.

• Hook 'Em 4

25 minutes ago, orangebird said:

This.  And quite honestly, this is the biggest problem I have had with the Big XII for the last 10 years.  The Big XII has basically been propped up by Texas and OU, and to a somewhat lesser extent, OSU, over the last 10 years.  All the while, the remora in the conference have been whining and complaining about how Texas runs everything, while at the same time still gladly accepting all the money we have brought into the conference.  Well kids, we're selling the house and moving.  Time to put on your big boy pants and go get an apartment.

Do I believe that we will run things in the SEC?  Absolutely not.  I see Texas as a peer among rough equals with the likes of OU, Bama, LSU, and Florida.  We know damn well the SEC will get along just peachy without us.  But frankly, we're all a bit tired of being the ATM for the rest of the Big XII, while they mostly shit all over us at the same time.  At least with the SEC, we will be respected for our size, history, and additional resources that we bring to the party.  We may be disliked by some.  That's fine, we're used to it.  We will win some, and we will lose some.  But it will be fun.  Let's ride.

This for sure. And I can't tell you how pleasant it will be, to NOT be the one that must be the savior of a conference.  The SEC is completely capable of standing on its own, with or without us.  What a freaking relief that is.  Now we can just focus on getting better at football and winning games.  

Football is supposed to be fun and entertaining.  This is a step in the right direction.

From a football perspective, I never hated the B12 like a lot of others around here did.  I found the games to be entertaining and compelling.  It was certainly a deeper and better conference than the PAC or the ACC have been for the past decade.  So I never felt the need to "get away" due to some sense of poor competition, that wasn't the issue.

If it ends up working out, joining the SEC will offer competitive football and against some new names, along with the renewing of two old rivalries, so I look forward to that.  And I REALLY look forward to Texas NOT having to throw its weight around and wear the yoke for nearly every other team in the conference from a political/revenue perspective.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 3

19 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

As a college football fan who started watching in the late 1960s, I would love to see those rivalries restored. I miss playing those Auburn assholes every year. I might get that back as well.

2d2819e0597448b461fe8f01414bddb4.gif

Yeah bringing Texas Arky back is the most underrated and unnoticed part of this whole thing. This really might restore some old SEC match ups and bring some SWC great rivalries back. OU should non-conf Nebraska for that mid season pasty week too.

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, iamjethro said:

We know we won't get kids you want.  We know, unless it is a rare exception, we won't get kids OU wants.  But now, with both of you in our conference and raised visibility in your state, kids still good enough to add real value we have better chances to get over TT, Baylor, TCU, etc. if they don't have the same conference appeal and especially if they wind up in AAC or MWC type leagues.

Yeah this will take a bite out of TCU's domination of small-town NE Texas....Or y'all could if you were smart. 

3 minutes ago, troph said:

Yeah bringing Texas Arky back is the most underrated and unnoticed part of this whole thing. This really might restore some old SEC match ups and bring some SWC great rivalries back. OU should non-conf Nebraska for that mid season pasty week too.

We'll take what's left of Baylor in that slot. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, TornACL said:

The big, smart, fancy, rich Ags in the BOR are gonna get together and decide what they should demand in exchange for their "Yes" vote, even though it's not needed and they have zero leverage. 

The SEC will grant some token gesture to A&M to help them save face, like ensuring the first UT A&M game is in College Station. And they will take those crumbs and parade them about the town and gloat as if they've really pulled one over. 

Then they'll lose that first game 28-10 and blame the refs because the Side Judge's niece goes to St Ed's, so he's clearly in the tsips' pockets.

Quintessential Aggy.

God I can’t wait.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

You can already see the position shift by A&M. Zwerneman is also reporting that "A&M believes they are in good position to own Texas in the football series." 

They've accepted reality it just took them 3 days of being losers and bad PR to get there. 

How in the fuck did you come across a scott Garrard tweet???

4 minutes ago, troph said:

Baylor tears: also underrated and unnoticed. Has anybody bothered to check on them? I grew to hate them as much as anyone else, ever. And it wasn't a grudging respect type of hate.

• Hook 'Em 3

28 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I am admittedly older than most here but until Arkie stupidly bolted for the SEC they were without doubt our second biggest rival.  Frank Broyles refused damn near his entire career to change the date of the annual Horns-Piggy game from the week after OU.  Hell, I thought Tech gave aggy a run for the money as our third biggest rival.  Aggy was irrelevant until they started cheating under scumbucket Sherrill, as it has always been irrelevant unless it flagrantly breaks the rules. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

Have we asked the SEC to change its name to Longhorn Eastern Conference ("LEC") yet? Since we like to assert our power wherever we go, I thought changing the name to a more suitable one that shows who everyone's daddy is should be one of the first things on the agenda.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Drool 1

8 minutes ago, troph said:

Yeah like the time we fuck your shit up with  VY and El Ced (RIP). Bring it, glad you hate your jethro asses. 

Bret Bielema says hi. 

Glad to have this kind of board fun back in  my life.  It is like professional wrestling promos.  Like I said, in case some of your members are not actual UT people but folks who take everything literally and think you have to pull a knife if a person asks if their off-orange shirt was bought from a street corner hawker, Respect and dislike (and board messages) can co-exist.

And by the way, that Texas team was stout.

Edited by iamjethro
  • Hook 'Em 4