Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

28 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I don't think the good teams in the SEC really do that all that much. Seems like its the teams like aggy, the misses, etc. who do that constantly.

This is likely true.  My Uncle is Arky and he keeps saying, "This is absolutely the right move for both programs.  SEC is the elite conference." or some version of it.  I finally asked him, "So, when Bama wins the NC you feel Arkansas is part of their victory?"  He said yes without missing a beat.  It's a cult.  I don't see Texas "fitting in" to that sort of mindset at all.  Perfect for Aggy, though.

If this gets finalized, I'm going to have to vent here more.  I'm all for it, but the cult shit sucks.  Root for your team.  Your conference is just that.  It determines who you play and when.  Claiming it as some sort of "brotherhood" is fucking weird.  Texas could go to any of the big conferences.  They're still Texas.  Period.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, tigol said:

This is likely true.  My Uncle is Arky and he keeps saying, "This is absolutely the right move for both programs.  SEC is the elite conference." or some version of it.  I finally asked him, "So, when Bama wins the NC you feel Arkansas is part of their victory?"  He said yes without missing a beat.  It's a cult.  I don't see Texas "fitting in" to that sort of mindset at all.  Perfect for Aggy, though.

If this gets finalized, I'm going to have to vent here more.  I'm all for it, but the cult shit sucks.  Root for your team.  Your conference is just that.  It determines who you play and when.  Claiming it as some sort of "brotherhood" is fucking weird.  Texas could go to any of the big conferences.  They're still Texas.  Period.

I should add that my other Uncle, also Arky season ticket holder, thought this video was freaking hilarious.  But, he has a few more brain cells.  And is a physician.  And thinks Aggy is hilarious.

• Haha 1

Wait, so now you think Bob Bowlsby was speaking truth? Come on. We've all known this was a likelihood starting ten years ago. ESPN wasn't going to keep paying you guys crazy money for a single team network. It was clearly a bandaid. Programs have spent a lot of money on facilities the last ten years hoping it would help when this happened. That wasn't a coincidence.
It was clear he didnt expect it to happen in 2021. Lots of people caught with their pants down on this one.

8 minutes ago, tigol said:

My Uncle is Arky and he keeps saying, "This is absolutely the right move for both programs.  SEC is the elite conference." or some version of it.  I finally asked him, "So, when Bama wins the NC you feel Arkansas is part of their victory?"  He said yes without missing a beat.

Your uncle is a moron

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ousux said:

It was clear he didnt expect it to happen in 2021. Lots of people caught with their pants down on this one.

Which if he believed what he was saying shows just how big of a buffoon he is.  The country is still in the midst of its most destabilizing event since WWII, the organization you run just got told recently "nah we don't really like the looks of things and so we think we are gonna keep the purse strings closed on any new TV money for now" and you didn't have an inkling that maybe your two bell cows, the engines that drive your day to day survival might not be prone to look for something better?

3 hours ago, Tonesky said:

LSU office mate has advised me that (1) outsiders view UT and aggy alumni/fans as being pretty much the same, and (2) we had better come to the SEC humbly and without ridiculous demands like horns down being a taunting penalty.....  I sure hope Sark rights this ship in a hurry and that our first spin around the SEC dance floor sets him and them straight.

Tell your office mate he can suck our big  burnt orange wieners.

Seems to me TX and OU would be better off cutting a check to West Virginia and Kansas/Iowa State/Oklahoma State for two of them to expedite their own conference realignment strategies than to the entire conference for exiting the conference as just two teams.  Especially since those schools will legit leave a week after they cash the check.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

The silly line about OU being drug into this by Texas is laughable. OU wanted to leave and they're fine with us being the bad guys. 

If anything, from what I have heard, it may have been the other way around.  OU got pissed at Bowlsby for not accommodating their request to move the Nebraska game to prime time, and that was apparently the straw that broke the camel's back and started this whole process.  Texas isn't going to sit around and watch its two biggest rivals competing in the SEC without joining in.  Anyone who thought Texas would go, "okay, fine, we'll just go make Texas Tech and Oklahoma State our new rivals in the Big XII" is seriously deluded.

Of the remaining eight, Oklahoma State is one of those schools I don't really harbor a whole lot of dislike for, aside from the hatchet job that the officials pulled on us with the officiating in the 2015 game.  I've always kind of liked Gundy as a coach.  Hope it works out somehow for them somewhere.

1 minute ago, alphahorn said:

Someone a few pages back posted the yahoo sports podcast.  it was a good listen.  They said from what they've heard Sark had no idea this was coming.  Does anyone have any insight into whether or not Sark was in the loop.

I think sark knew but due to legal reasons there is no way he should say he did.  I’m beginning to wonder how serious of a candidate campbell was as well

5 minutes ago, alphahorn said:

Someone a few pages back posted the yahoo sports podcast.  it was a good listen.  They said from what they've heard Sark had no idea this was coming.  Does anyone have any insight into whether or not Sark was in the loop.

We will never know. Even if he did, he wouldn’t be allowed to say for legal reasons. Don’t want to get sued 

Not really jazzed about future trips to Omaha and having piggie and Hiel State both welcoming us to a "real conference or real baseball" and also shit talking how we are overrated at the same tame. Sec Sec sec when we win, horns down when we lose. I already know to sit somewhere else asap.
Gross.

I was happy to be done with Aggy. I grew up in Houston with all those clowns in the early 90s. And I don't miss that shit at all. Best case was for us to blow them the fuck out and then get shit for "picking on the lesser school / sleeping giant.
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

I take this as good news.  None of the talk of 20 team conferences or conference mergers interest me.

The move to the SEC works to make more money, win more recruits and have a more appealing home schedule.  It doesn't work if it's one step in being in a conference so big, it loses all value.

13 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Which if he believed what he was saying shows just how big of a buffoon he is.  The country is still in the midst of its most destabilizing event since WWII, the organization you run just got told recently "nah we don't really like the looks of things and so we think we are gonna keep the purse strings closed on any new TV money for now" and you didn't have an inkling that maybe your two bell cows, the engines that drive your day to day survival might not be prone to look for something better?

Brave new world of NIL in Big XII would have been absolute clusterfuck. ISUs and and KSUs would have wanted a cap or something. But there's no way to have had any reasonable expectation that we'd be pioneers or leaders in anything.

CFB is changing so dramatically, so quickly to be weighted toward markets, money, and interest--there's no way to have salvaged the Big XII and continued to compete nationally.

12 minutes ago, SuckitKevin said:

Tell your office mate he can suck our big  burnt orange wieners.

Mr. Kevin, if your male appendage is actually swollen and of a burnt orange pigment in coloration, I would offer for your own health you should seek a physician's opinion of treatment.  

1 minute ago, fellside said:

I take this as good news.  None of the talk of 20 team conferences or conference mergers interest me.

The move to the SEC works to make more money, win more recruits and have a more appealing home schedule.  It doesn't work if it's one step in being in a conference so big, it loses all value.

It’s not good news If true. Would be easier for us if Big 10 invites a couple teams. In the end, it won’t matter, but the faster the Big 12 dissolves the cheaper it will be 

1 hour ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I don't think the good teams in the SEC really do that all that much. Seems like its the teams like aggy, the misses, etc. who do that constantly.

Yeah, I think I can safely say that most of the "S-E-C" chants I have heard lately have been coming from the direction of Collie Station.

Look, we'll respect our peers in the SEC, and hopefully they'll respect us.  We're not doing any of that silly ass-kissing shit, though.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

At what point do we just accept that the Big 12-2+? is going to survive as a G5/G6 and say fuck it a d start offers if you replace the SEC future games on the schedule with the B12 teams that don’t try to fuck us on the way out? 

Is there any difference in picking a throw away makeup game to replace the upcoming Bama, Georgia of Florida series with ISU, Ok State or maybe KSU as 2 for 1s? It would beat the hell out of a FCS school and would still scale  back the non conference SOC.

And fuck TCU, Baylor and TT. If we are scheduling other Texas teams let’s do UNT, UTSA and Rice.

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

And surfing too.... the water wave kind, not the Internet. 

So, I'm "new" here. Was pretty active on Shaggybevo, then shaggytexas, but took the decade off. I'm so happy to see Army Brat still going strong and yelling at clouds. Much love my man. Imagine, hitting your senior years just when Eisenhower came to office and seeing the evolution of college football since the leather helmet days. The stories you must have. 😋

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, fellside said:

Don’t worry, we have an agreement 

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Symbolic jerking off for all the pissy aggy, Red Raiders, Bears, and Hornytoads. 

Hold all the hearings you want, Danny.  They're not changing a goddamn thing.  May I suggest bringing in a keg or two of Shiner Bock to make them slightly less boring.

21 minutes ago, deech said:

Seems to me TX and OU would be better off cutting a check to West Virginia and Kansas/Iowa State/Oklahoma State for two of them to expedite their own conference realignment strategies than to the entire conference for exiting the conference as just two teams.  Especially since those schools will legit leave a week after they cash the check.

Make 'em an offer they can't refuse.  A couple million and a good referral letter to the conference of their choice.  Enjoy boys.  

19 minutes ago, alphahorn said:

That’s a good question. We hired him in January and according to most news sources have only been engaged with the SEC for 6 months (or so they say.) it certainly is a different proposition: be our coach and win the big 12 vs we are going to join the sec that you just left…get ready. I hope that he’s got all his ducks in a row. We cannot afford to hire another coach in a few years. Fingers crossed that our HC/staff got this. I say this with the upmost respect…sobriety is tough and anyone who tries to rebuild their life I support. Hopefully, it’s not a concern at all. It’s not meant to be an insult. I never in my life thought we’d join the SEC and now that it is inevitable I just want to focus on hating my new conference and trying to win games. I don’t want any of that old frustration and pessimism and doubt about where we are headed. I just want to win. 🤘🏼

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Barbacoa said:

Sark knew we were in serious talks with the SEC. So did UM. (ducking). 

I talked a lot of friendly shit to John Sharp when I lived in Austin. He could give it back as good as he could take it. One thing I can tell you for sure, he thought they had permanently outmaneuvered us. This was when I was living in Austin and was fairly involved with trying to do what I could to help us rebound after Mack. Obviously we were a dumpster fire, but Sharp would periodically remind me that it couldnt last like that and that we would have to wait for the next generation to take the reins until things got fixed. 

Well, he was right. Now we have people in charge that wake up every day determined to "fix it." I'm sure Sharp saw this coming, I just wish I wouldve been around when he first realized their big coup was all for naught. 

No, man. Revisionist shit like "Sark knew" isn't helpful and isn't true. The lid on this was kept so tight that even the confidantes of those involved were surprised. The most anyone like CDC and Sarkisian knew was that Texas was looking at choices and had asked folks at their levels about their feelings on various conferences. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Barbacoa said:

It’s hilarious seeing so many sec fans talk about being a good partner and fitting in with the family etc. They’re going to find out real quick we didn’t join to suck their dicks like aggy did. Fuck the Big 12. Fuck the SEC. Fuck everyone not named Texas. We are positioning ourselves for future conquest, not to sing Florida Georgia line with a bunch of self inflated queers that cheer for each other. 

staredown.gif

• Haha 3